INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

MRSA and Meats both with antibiotics and those without

+6
bobnliz
raqueteer
simpsca
ferret
CanuckBob
drmike
10 posters

Go down

MRSA and Meats both with antibiotics and those without Empty MRSA and Meats both with antibiotics and those without

Post by drmike Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:59 pm

This is what I was trying to say before we got off topic. MRSA is almost totally anti-biotic resistant. This article from Scientific Now, explains the comparison of anti-biotic fed and the contamination of hogs and cattle which was not fed anti-biotics and was still contaminated by MRSA, perhaps from workers in the slaughter houses?

Read the article and you'll understand.

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2012/01/organic-meat-superbugs/
drmike
drmike
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : yes

http://smarthealthchoices.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

MRSA and Meats both with antibiotics and those without Empty Re: MRSA and Meats both with antibiotics and those without

Post by CanuckBob Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:40 pm

Interesting read. Thanks Dr. Mike.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

MRSA and Meats both with antibiotics and those without Empty Re: MRSA and Meats both with antibiotics and those without

Post by ferret Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:32 pm

It is an interesting read.
Staphylococcus aureus has always been considered a pathogen depending on where and what bodily sample it was cultured from. No matter where in the body it is cultured, it is always reported and is not simply classed and dismissed as "normal flora". From a wound (including surgical incision), it's a definite pathogen...from the nose, it's a maybe...from sputum, it's a pathogen...from a vaginal swab, it's a maybe. It doesn't matter, if it's cultured it's reported and it's up to the Doctor to decide on a course of action.
Many people are totally unaware of the many kinds of bacteria that occur naturally in and on our bodies....including Staph aureus. It's when those bacteria get into places that aren't "normal" that they can cause problems.
The current epidemic of antibiotic resistant bacteria is very troubling. Giving antibiotics to animals (and humans) that are not sick is contributing to the problem although I understand the reasoning behind it.
People who process the food should also be cleared "microbiologically" on a regular basis...if they're "carriers" they shouldn't be doing the job. You wouldn't want Typhoid Mary cooking your lunch, would you?

FYI: http://www.textbookofbacteriology.net/normalflora.html
This is just page one...the asterisked bacteria are "potential" pathogens.

ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by simpsca Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:36 am

One thing you have to be careful of here is clenbuterol poisoning. It has happened several times lakeside from beef consumption. I understand it is illegal to do but the farmers give it to their cattle any way to fatten them up, I believe. I don't know much about the drug but do remember reading about people who were hospitalized with too much in their system and people lakeside were warned in particular not to eat beef liver.
simpsca
simpsca
Events Reporter
Events Reporter

Back to top Go down

Post by raqueteer Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:43 pm

simpsca wrote:One thing you have to be careful of here is clenbuterol poisoning. It has happened several times lakeside from beef consumption. I understand it is illegal to do but the farmers give it to their cattle any way to fatten them up, I believe. I don't know much about the drug but do remember reading about people who were hospitalized with too much in their system and people lakeside were warned in particular not to eat beef liver.

Right Simpsca, in fact Wal Mart stopped selling liver, of course eating liver always seemed like a bad idea to me unless it was in paté.

raqueteer
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by drmike Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:44 am

I've never eaten liver and cannot conceive why anyone would want to. The liver is the major organ of detoxification and is full of toxins. It detoxifies bacteria, viruses (Hepatitis A,B,C,D) heavy metals, sex hormones, and other toxins. Why someone would willingly eat this garbage trap is beyond me.

I know it has iron and other vitamins and minerals in it, but it is too full of toxins for me to even consider taking it in to my body. I always counseled my patients to stay away from organ meats, especially liver.

Dr. Mike
drmike
drmike
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by bobnliz Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:32 am

So... it doesn't kill us because...? What? Our livers detoxify it? L
bobnliz
bobnliz
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : wry ans dry

Back to top Go down

Post by drmike Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:57 am

It takes time and proper co-factors for the liver to detoxify. The liver detoxifies in five different pathways. It depends on which toxin it is to determine which pathway detoxifies it, and each pathway has to have the correct co-factor ( glutathione, sulfur, amino acid, etc.)to properly detoxify the toxin. The 2 most important co-factors are Glutathione and sulfur.

In the meantime the toxins are in there. I never said it would kill you, it might but probably won't, but it can make you very ill with the toxins. Why would anyone want to willingly eat and take into their bodies these toxins. We get enough toxins in our body from just daily living.

But like I've always said, it's your body do what you think is right, you've got to live with your decisions. It just my job to try and educate people.

Most people have ill functioning liver due to daily toxin intake (esp. the heavy drinkers which overload the liver with alcohol to detox, plus alcohol kills off the hepatocytes - Liver cells), and they are hard pressed to detoxify a lot of toxins. Most of us are full of toxins that overloads the liver anyway. Take in more toxins and you can over load your liver and get very sick.

Many of my patients I treated for ill functioning livers, (esp, cirrhosis and Hepatitis C). I am very familiar with the liver and how it functions and what destroys it.
drmike
drmike
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:07 pm

"I've never eaten liver and cannot conceive why anyone would want to."

I have heard others make the same claim about escargot, sushi, octopus, brussels sprouts and a multitude of other items. I would venture a guess than most anything ingested in excessive amounts may become harmful to one's health? Personally, I find liver (calves, elk, chicken, venison) to be quite tasty when properly prepared. But I only have it maybe 6 to 10 times a year and only cooked at home.

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by David Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:34 pm

I grew up eating liver, from chickens, beef, and pigs. In later years I'd have fresh baby beef liver once a year, the day after we slaughtered our beef. I love chicken livers but don't get them often since my wife doesn't care for them. She'll eat Pate' de fois gras though and we occasional get it from Denis when he's at the tianguis. As for sushi, one of my favorites is "ankemo," frog fish liver. I've only found it in Japan.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Good

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:43 pm

Same here, Kathy cannot even stand the smell while cooking. Guess what I have when she is out of town on business?

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by David Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:03 pm

Annie has the same issue, except with the chicken livers. I like liver prepared the same way at tuna steaks, seared rare/med rare. Accompanied by a big red wine, yummy!
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by granbo Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:25 pm

Liver's best-known responsibility is to render toxins inert and shuttle them out to be expelled – usually in the urine via the kidney. It doesn’t just hang on to toxins, as if the liver is somehow separate from the body and immune to contamination. The liver is part of the body! If your liver contains large amounts of toxins, so do you! Its Ok to eat liver.

Read more: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/does-the-liver-store-toxins/#ixzz1lkGfsVnN

granbo

Back to top Go down

Post by bobnliz Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:31 pm

I became familiar with chicken livers quite by accident, when the jelly omelet I ordered turned up filled filled with chicken livers instead.
It was busy in the deli and I was hungry, so I told the waiter to leave it.
Turned out that I liked that omelet a lot.

Years later, when I lived on the edge of the "Big Thicket" in Cleveland, Texas, and my musician/husband was away on a gig, my pooch, Toots and I would go to the drive-in movie up the highway and share a box of deep fried chicken livers.... a peaceful and decadent way to spend a summer evening. Lizzy MRSA and Meats both with antibiotics and those without 169387
bobnliz
bobnliz
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by David Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:07 pm

I've never had them deep-fried but I gotta tell you it sounds good!
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by bobnliz Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:40 pm

Popeye's Frie'd Chicken... yum. Lizzy
bobnliz
bobnliz
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:45 pm

My favorite for chicken livers is sauteed with onions in butter and wine and served over rice. Then again, marinated in Teriyaki Sauce and then wrapped with a water chestnut in bacon and then BBQ makes a perfect Rumaki!

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:25 pm

I like liver and I like sweetbreads...it's all in the preparation.
But I promise, Dr. Mike, to never eat human liver. :)
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by bobnliz Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:30 pm

Oohhh! Rumaki... yum. I had forgotten... Lizzy
bobnliz
bobnliz
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:55 am

Doesn't the contents of a liver depend on Heath of course, Diet, and
environment. When we were younger and the chickens were eating
everything in the yard could we have less toxins generally? I am thinking
of eating the livers from modern ranching practices would have more
bad things cause frankly up until very recently nobody gave a damn what
you fed a chicken. Hell look at synthetic protein that the chinese
added to dog and cat food that killed so many pets like mine. What
else is in animal feed that didn't kill our animals so we didn't notice?
I think I would eat livers from free range outdoor chickens but not so
sure I would from commercial birds unless I knew the feed and environment.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by drmike Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:46 am

Yuck!

Z, your rationale makes sense The crap we feed chickens could make the livers more toxic. Like I said, eat what you want, it's your body and you've got to live with the consequences. I'm just a messenger.
drmike
drmike
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down