INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pink Slime

+10
CanuckBob
hockables
hound dog
arbon
Zedinmexico
Mainecoons
gringal
johninajijic
raqueteer
CheenaGringo
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Pink Slime Empty Pink Slime

Post by CheenaGringo Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:29 pm

I Have no idea if the US is exporting any of this to the Mexican marketplace and haven't been able to find any evidence of thing happening. However, I wouldn't be surprised if it is going on.

"70 Percent of Ground Beef at Supermarkets Contains ‘Pink Slime’"

"Gerald Zirnstein grinds his own hamburger these days. Why? Because this former United States Department of Agriculture scientist and, now, whistleblower, knows that 70 percent of the ground beef we buy at the supermarket contains something he calls “pink slime.”

“Pink slime” is beef trimmings. Once only used in dog food and cooking oil, the trimmings are now sprayed with ammonia so they are safe to eat and added to most ground beef as a cheaper filler........................
http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2012/03/70-percent-of-ground-beef-at-supermarkets-contains-pink-slime/
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/compost/post/beef--er-pink-slime--its-whats-for-school-lunch-and-im-okay-with-it/2012/03/07/gIQABUVpxR_blog.html

While I cannot say that I am surprised, I find this truly offensive! On the plus side, the evening news said that Costco has certified that they do no use pink slime and that is where we purchase our beef.

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Pink Slime Empty Re: Pink Slime

Post by raqueteer Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:14 pm

Well, that's the same goop that McDonalds claim they've eliminated as of last august. Just gives you that warm fuzzy feeling doesn't it.
BTW Jamie Oliver tried to clean up the school food system in California, and got shot down in flames.

raqueteer
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:12 pm

raqueteer wrote:Well, that's the same goop that McDonalds claim they've eliminated as of last august. Just gives you that warm fuzzy feeling doesn't it.
BTW Jamie Oliver tried to clean up the school food system in California, and got shot down in flames.

Don't trust McDonald's or any other fast food chains claim.

This is no different than what they make hot dogs from, meat scraps, the cheaper the brand the more crap in it.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sometimes

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:42 pm

With the exception of the fresh ground meat at Costco, which I semi-trust.......If I want hamburger, I buy a chunk of sirloin and ask the butcher to grind it.
I keep my beady eyes on him while he's doing it, too.

Been doing this for years, ever since I saw what Safeway stores did with their scraps. Put them in barrels, transported them to a central warehouse and there, they were blood-dripped for color and turned into those nice looking little packages with plastic wrap around them and finally, returned to the stores.

Enough to "gag a maggot".

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by Mainecoons Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:27 pm

I can stand there at El Torito and watch them make the hamburger. No pink slime there.

Ugh!
Mainecoons
Mainecoons
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Mad Magazine

Back to top Go down

Post by raqueteer Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:51 pm

Tony's and ask for extra fat. You can't make a decent hamburger without it.

raqueteer
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:01 pm

Sure you can. It's a matter of taste, what you add in seasonings and what goes on the bun. But like any survey in burgers, you'll find some like 'em lean and some like 'em fatty. They're both right....according to their lights...... and what their stomachs will put up with without rebelling.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:07 pm

I can tell you that after viewing the reports and reading various articles, we won't be buying ground beef from any supermarket chain. It will be either the small specialty meat market or Costco. If we were in Mexico, I would be highly suspect of WallyWorld, Sams, Bodega, Soriana, Mega, etc.

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:33 am

CheenaGringo wrote:I can tell you that after viewing the reports and reading various articles, we won't be buying ground beef from any supermarket chain. It will be either the small specialty meat market or Costco. If we were in Mexico, I would be highly suspect of WallyWorld, Sams, Bodega, Soriana, Mega, etc.

Folks isn't the real truth that hamburger is kinda dangerous in mega corporate food world? You just don't know and many of these folks just don't care obviously.
Watch your meat being ground is the only way unless you trust your meat cutter person. Over and over and over hamburger comes up on the bad food lists due
to cross contamination no less the issue of adding slime to the meat. We buy our burg meat at El Toritoes not sure I would buy wally world burg. Steak yes.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by arbon Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:32 am

¿What happened to Doctor Mike?

"The World Health Organization (WHO) says that ammonium hydroxide (which is essentially a solution of ammonia in water) can be used in over 60 food categories"
arbon
arbon
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Humour

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:39 am

gringal wrote:Sure you can. It's a matter of taste, what you add in seasonings and what goes on the bun. But like any survey in burgers, you'll find some like 'em lean and some like 'em fatty. They're both right....according to their lights...... and what their stomachs will put up with without rebelling.

Exactly right. Everyone's taste is different. We have tried Tony's for a long time, 2 types of ground beef there, Walmart and the small Carniceria next to the huge fish store in La Huerta Plaza, West Ajijic.

# 1 - Most flavor and most juicy - Consistency - Walmart Ground Sirloin, not their Premium
# 2 - Second Best from the Carniceria in La Huerta Plaza
# 3 - Tony's - Whether ground sirloin or his meat mix - Inconsistent - tasteless - just doesn't look good
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hound dog Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:14 pm

Since we were witness to the scandal in San Cristóbal de Las Casas of the municipal rastro selling tainted meats to local retail outlets including even high end carnicerias, we have purchased our own home meat grinder and not only buy our meat from reputable stores that we have personally assessed as fresh and of good quality but we grind it at home in our own meat grinder we have meticulously cleaned ourselves. The meat you have chosen at your favorite carniceria ground by the butcher at your direction may be fine if you know your butcher and trust that butcher´s cleanliness standards.

The last time I purchased good quality beef at one of the carnicerias touted above at Lakeside, having had it properly trimmed with some fat left in the mix for flavor, on the way from the counter to the grinder the clerk dropped the meat on the floor, picked it up and started to grind it anyway. Dawg canceled the order. Had I been distracted during this process and failed to observe this incident, I would have taken that hamburger home and blissfully consumed it.

I haven´t bought pre-ground, pre-packaged beef in any supermarket for years. Red slime may be one of the nicest additives in that package and, at 70 years old, I have only even heard of the existence of this additive this week.

I am told that cockroach parts are not detectable nor unwholesome in limited quantities whether in that bottle of ketchup or the ground beef comprising one´s cheeseburger. After all, Dawg, as a banker, has, in the distant past, observed wine and ketchup in the process of being made and have noted the amount of wholesome insect protein that goes, inadvertently into the mix. Yum!
hound dog
hound dog
Bad Dawg
Bad Dawg

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:54 pm

It's nearly dinner time and dawg has made me sick to my stomach. And to be sure there are cockroaches everywhere especially in Mexico. Never saw one until I arrived here.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Mainecoons Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:04 pm

Hey, just think of it as extra, muy barato protein!

Very Happy
Mainecoons
Mainecoons
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Mad Magazine

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:08 pm

Speaking of "mystery meat":
"Sausage industry blasts 'Hot Dogs Cause Butt Cancer' ad in Chicago"
"A billboard is bluntly telling Chicagoans that hot dogs cause "butt cancer" — and the hot dog industry is not amused.

The billboard is one of a series of ads being put up in major cities by the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine, or PCRM, urging people to stop eating hot dogs, which it says are a leading cause of colon and other cancers..........
http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/03/13/10671418-sausage-industry-blasts-hot-dogs-cause-butt-cancer-ad-in-chicago

[img]Pink Slime Images14[/img]

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:12 pm

The grocery chains NOB are running away from the use of pink slime ASAP. With the exception of WallyWorld most of the majors have now declared to be pink slime free. The word so far out of WallyWorld is that one can ask the people in the meat department which products have pink slime.

School systems are also running away from this controversy.

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hockables Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:03 pm

Never was allowed in Canada....

I have never had any complaints about meat selections in Mexico...

I have seen some cuts I had little interest in... but been happy with everything taken home so far...

Good butchers in Jocotepec, Chapala... Tony's is good.... found select cuts in Wal-mart very good

I think some like to piss & moan just to hear themselves ?? piss & moan...
hockables
hockables
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:04 pm

I guess the power of the media has been shown in this case:
"The maker of "pink slime" suspended operations Monday at all but one plant where the beef ingredient is made, acknowledging recent public uproar over the product has cost the company business.

Craig Letch, director of food quality and assurance for Beef Products Inc., declined to discuss financial details, but said business has taken a "substantial" hit since social media exploded with worry over the ammonia-treated filler and an online petition seeking its ouster from schools drew hundreds of thousands of supporters............................................

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2012/03/26/national/a093235D35.DTL#ixzz1qMwPHmqV

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:24 pm

Last friday BPI (Beef Products Inc.) published a full page ad last friday in
the Wall Street Journal. I must admit they have not had any instances of
illness traced to there product. However I (and others quite a few I guess)
don't want ammonia treated meat scraps added to my Burger meat. I can't
understand why people don't want this wonderful wholesome product
added to there burgers. NOT....

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by hockables Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:28 pm

nothin a little Ketsup wouldn't fix.....
hockables
hockables
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:41 pm

Why do I find it funny that a Mr. Letch is involved? LOL

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:25 am

"Now that the maker of lean beef products has suspended operations at three plants, will the public forget the “pink slime” controversy?

The private company, Beef Products Inc., based in Dakota Dunes, S.D., certainly hopes so. It is taking its case to the public, which has been bombarded in recent weeks with news stories saying the product was not safe or healthy and announcements at groceries like Kroger and Safeway that they would no longer purchase ground beef made with lean finely textured beef.

According to The Associated Press, Beef Products will suspend operations at plants in Amarillo, Texas; Garden City, Kan.; and Waterloo, Iowa. About 200 employees at each of the three plants will get full salary and benefits for 60 days during the suspension, the AP reported, adding, the company’s plant at its headquarters will continue operations...............

http://www.forbes.com/sites/mickeymeece/2012/03/27/pink-slime-controversy-takes-a-toll-on-beef-producer/

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hound dog Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:41 am

This is all about proper marketing. For instance, this "red slime" simply was given a name reminiscent of mucus or drooling saliva. Had those producing this innocuous ancd tasteless - perhaps even nutritious - product providing needed bulk to feed the masses, simply thought through the naming process, they might have advertised meat so supplemented as "carne con baba rosa"* - a somewhat exotic and enticing name that simply means "meat with pink slime".

As a commmercial bank lender to a wide range of business enterprises over many years before retiring, I observed many an industrial process in my functions as a business development and account officer and among those were businesses processing all sorts of food products from wine to vegetables to meat and fish products and if one is bothered by "pink slime", one does not want to even think about the huge numbers of repulsive little critters that introduce themselves in bits and pieces to so many of the mass produced processed food products we consume purchased from industrial plants. of course, that is only the critters we can actually see of which I speak.

* The word "baba" has no negative connotation in English and means, more than anything else, perhaps, a small cake soaked in dark rum. However, my wife tells me that, in France, the word "baba" is a disgusting reference to the type of slime dripping from human facial orifices so marketing in France may require some rethinking.
hound dog
hound dog
Bad Dawg
Bad Dawg

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:51 am

How about "High Energy, Probiotic, Antioxidizing Meat Enhancer"?? You could sell it by the gallon so people could mix it in at home.......jajaja.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:58 am

The official name within the Beef Industry for this product is: "lean finely textured beef" (LFTB).

The "pink slime" name came from one of the critics of the use of this product. It was a great choice because it has such a negative connotation and probably was as equally detrimental to the demise of this product as the news reports. Now that all of the reports have come out on its widespread use by the various chains, I now have a guess why there has been a variance in the taste of hamburger in recent years.

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next