INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Big Daddy's Sausage

+19
Jim W
Big Daddy Mexico
hockables
kipissippi
Solovino
David
CheenaGringo
Zedinmexico
prorader
Parker
borderreiver
fastrak
hound dog
Bartdude
gringal
johninajijic
viajero
ferret
CanuckBob
23 posters

Page 5 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Big Daddy's Sausage - Page 5 Empty Re: Big Daddy's Sausage

Post by CanuckBob Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:08 am

I am posting this letter for "Big Daddy" himself....

Hola Bob,

As I am a new member I cannot post messages. I would like to post this response under Food & Drink-- Big Daddy's Sausage please.

I was poisoned by bad chorizo in December and after, said I would never eat another sausage again unless I knew what was in it.

I decided to continue my hobby of making sausages here in Mexico. My Grandpa had made sausage in his day and they were pretty good. I am still using some of his recipes.

We only use "Old Country Style" recipes which might taste different than the machine made sausages that some people are used to today. All our sausages are handmade in small batches to maintain the freshness and consistency of the flavor. The casings are all natural hog casing. Our breakfast sausages are made from collagen casings. Our herbs and spices are fresh and most or in seed form and are crushed before adding to the sausage meat. We also add less salt and spices than most large commercial facilities. I believe that less is better sometimes.

Johnsonville does not use a casing on their smoked sausage. Ingredients are combined as the sausage meat is going through the machine to form an outer crust which hardens into something that looks like a casing but is not.. AND, if you have ever had the opportunity to visit a large commercial sausage making factory to see what actually goes into a sausage,,,,You will never eat another sausage from there again. Oh ya, they do not give tours. LOL

We would be happy to give anybody a tour of our facilities at any time. Samples and beer are on us. jajaja

Also, your local butcher only puts in the little pieces of meat that are not saleable and all the old meat that has not sold and close to expiration and all the extra 'parts' of the pig or chicken that are left at the end of the day. These are the ones I got poisoned by in December.

All our sausages are made from fresh pork shoulder from a federally inspected facility. Our chicken is also thigh and leg meat purchased from a TIF approved facility. We add in good fat at 25%. Most store bought sausage is between 35% and 50% fat content plus filler. We have no filler and all our sausage is gluten free. We purchase meat 3 to 4 times a week to assure that it is always fresh before we make the sausages.

As most of our sausages are slow smoked for 3-4 hours, there is no need to recook them. You only need to heat them up to enjoy the flavor of the sausage. If the sausage is recooked, a lot of the juice will be cooked off and the salt will remain, sometimes leaving a 'salty' taste.

We have a variety of different flavored sausages that can be sampled at the Monday Market in The-Hole-In-One and at the Wednesday Tianguis. Our products are currently available at Super Lake, Tony's Carneceria, El Torito and La Huerta Mini Super plus we are in Guadalajara at Goiti Deli and La Casita Deli.

If for any reason you are not satisfied with our products, we will refund 100% of the purchase price in cash and give you another packet of our sausage free of charge.

We can be reached via email at BigDaddyMexico@yahoo.com

This is not intended to solicit business in anyway. We just felt that getting it from the horse’s mouth is sometimes preferred.

Thanks for reading and have a great day.

Big Daddy.

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:07 am

Thanks to Big Daddy for giving us the skinny. Or the casing.
I think many have been eating crud sausage, become used to the flavor and forgotten what "real" sausages taste like. I'm going to buy a different flavor next time and give it more of a chance than with my one round of the chicken bratwurst I didn't much like.
Here's to the enterprising efforts of Big Daddy. With a name like that, you'd better be good!

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:12 am

Great to see someone with a honest marketing approach in informing the buying public on his product!

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:10 pm

When we asked Big Daddy to make a hotter product he answered the bell. I just tried one of his newer creations, "The Mexican Suicide Sausage" and it is perfect. If you like it hot this one is muy caliente.

Muchos gracias Big Daddy...........
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

Back to top Go down

Post by David Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:18 pm

I've been working my way thru his entire menu. Tried the Spicy Italian tonight. It didn't cut it. It's OK but doesn't taste like italian sausage. In the same way the chicken bratwurst didn't taste like bratwurst. So far, I like his breadfast sausage.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Good

Back to top Go down

Big Daddy's Sausage - Page 5 Empty BIG DADDYS SMOKED SAUSAGE

Post by prorader Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:07 pm

David, U say you don't like this and that but you don't say why. Tell Big Daddy why you don't like it he is in the first stage of business. He isn't perfect with out positive critisim, how can he improve the products to meet your standards? Perfection is a dream a business person wants to achive but doesn't work if you don't like the product, your imput is vital to his sucess. Come on say I don't like and say why, I don't like some of his products and I say why, but my taste says no matter what I will not like it. All the wars on the internet is BS, this is the man's life and income and your evaluation and input is valuable. Thanks for trying and for you input. Tim
prorader
prorader
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Wicked

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:19 am

Prorader: I didn't like the chicken bratwurst because my taste buds had an expectation of the kind of bratwurst the German butcher on the corner made when I was a kid. Sometimes things are as simple as that.
I think BD's bratwurst would be better with less salt and fat. When I cooked it in a frying pan, it oozed more fat than I want to eat, so I put it on paper towels and they were soaked with it. Other people like a fatty sausage.....so maybe it's just me.
Hope that input is specific enough.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Daddy Mexico Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:01 am

In reality Big Daddy's Sausage puts in less fat than most other places. One of the reasons that there appears to be more fat than you might be used to is that we do not put in any filler. In the past, most sausage makers put in alot of filler to make the product go farther. And in doing so, the fat was absorbed by the filler and remained in the sausage. It also gave it a different flavor.

Some say a better flavor. However because we do not put filler in our sausage, the fat has no where to go but out of the sausage when it is "cooked" again and it leaves a bit more of a salty taste.

In the future, maybe just heat up the sausage instead of cooking it. You might taste a difference in flavor. Remember, most places put in 35% to 50% fat plus filler in their sausage. We only add 25% with no filler. Two different products and 2 different tastes.

If you poke holes in our sausage and baste it in water, the salt amount will be reduced along with the fat and you will get a very healthy sausage. Beer actually works great too. FYI
Big Daddy Mexico
Big Daddy Mexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

http://www.bigdaddyssausages.com

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:10 pm

Thanks for the advice Senor Daddy. I will try the cerveza method the next time.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:38 pm

So you boil 'em in water or beer like a hot dog? I'll try that.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by David Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:43 pm

prorader wrote:David, U say you don't like this and that but you don't say why. Tell Big Daddy why you don't like it he is in the first stage of business. He isn't perfect with out positive critisim, how can he improve the products to meet your standards? Perfection is a dream a business person wants to achive but doesn't work if you don't like the product, your imput is vital to his sucess. Come on say I don't like and say why, I don't like some of his products and I say why, but my taste says no matter what I will not like it. All the wars on the internet is BS, this is the man's life and income and your evaluation and input is valuable. Thanks for trying and for you input. Tim

Why one doesn't like something cannot be explained. BTW, I did say that the bratwurst did not taste like bratwurst and the italian did not taste like italian. The flavors weren't correct IMHO. That's the best I can do.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:54 pm

Anyone who has been in the consumer products business of any type will tell you that it is virtually impossible to satisfy 100% of the people all of the time! There have been any number of consumer products with the very best of ingredients or the very best design that have died for one reason or another. Personally, I wouldn't touch a food product with a pole of any length since there are far too many comparison experts out there and each has a different idea of what a particular food item should taste or look like.

Big Daddy - I commend you for trying to listen to your potential customers but I sincerely hope that it doesn't result in you having to make reservations at the closest "ha ha hotel"!

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Daddy Mexico Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:21 pm

Hola David, you mentioned that you did not like the Bratwurst. The Bratwurst that you said you tried was the Chicken Bratwurst and it does have a different flavor than the pork Bratwurst. Also, we have a smoked pork bratwurst and a fresh pork bratwurst which each taste different. Also we only use pork in our bratwurst and do do include veal which is commonly used in Germany. Veal is quite expensive here in Mexico so we have decided to leave it out. Also, some people are used to the Wisconsin Brat and others are used to the German Brat. Both have a totally different taste. All we are trying to do is be consistant with our formulations and make a quality product. Stop by our both on Monday at the Hole-In-one or at the wednesday Tianguis and I would be happy to give you some free samples of each of our flavors for you to try at home with your wife. All of our varieties of sausages have very different flavors. Thanks.
Big Daddy Mexico
Big Daddy Mexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Daddy Mexico Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:28 pm

Hola Neil, thanks for the encouragement. I try to make a quaility product everytime. We sell out everyweek and are expanding everyday to new markets in Guadalajara, San Miquel, and Puerto Vallarta. I appreciate criticism, both positive and negative. We take all of it and try to improve on what we do.

I haven't made any reservations yet, but I have checked out the prices. LMAO
Big Daddy Mexico
Big Daddy Mexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by David Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:29 pm

Hey, thanks for the clarification. I'll try the other brats.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by kipissippi Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:25 pm

To avoid comparisons why not name them yourself?
kipissippi
kipissippi
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : goofy

Back to top Go down

Post by David Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:31 am

Name what? I meant I would try BD's other brats. The others I've enjoyed had no names, they were on the plate in Italy, France, Germany, Austria, Switzerland, and other countries.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by kipissippi Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:02 am

Well.....since he has several varieties...he has to call them something!
kipissippi
kipissippi
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by David Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:12 am

Ah, of course. Each one HAS a different name on it.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by kipissippi Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:04 am

I get that David....but they're names that are connected to specific tastes. If his aren't exactly the same...some people are going to be disappointed. So make them ALL his specialties.
kipissippi
kipissippi
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by David Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:08 am

Or, make what folks like.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by kipissippi Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:56 pm

Can't please everybody but you can take away their expectation of what they're about to taste.
kipissippi
kipissippi
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:04 pm

BIG DADDY, I hear you would like to make the bass fishing trip.....Keep in touch with Cbob.....you will have fun trip
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Whenever I need it!

Back to top Go down

Post by David Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:31 pm

kipissippi wrote:Can't please everybody but you can take away their expectation of what they're about to taste.

Well Kip that's a good point. However, some description would be good. "Smoky and spicy" for example.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by kipissippi Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:21 pm

Yeah...that works.
kipissippi
kipissippi
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Daddy Mexico Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:37 pm

David wrote:
kipissippi wrote:Can't please everybody but you can take away their expectation of what they're about to taste.

Well Kip that's a good point. However, some description would be good. "Smoky and spicy" for example.

We had a brief description on our first labels and now the top label is in Spanish. There will be a bottom label coming out in the next week or so and will be in English. Dependent on the printer. LOL

The bottom label will be more detailed and include heating and cooking tips along with the ingredients and nutritional label.

The recipes that we use are basic Old Country recipes. We try and stay as traditional as we can. We will Never have sausages tasting the same as the originals in their particular countries. We can only strive to come close to them.

However, unless you have tried sausages in other countries, or sausages made by old school artisans, the sausages that you try in local super markets will taste different and probably taste good because of all the ascorbic acid and MSG etc that is in them.

Our sausages are made by hand and are all natural. We will never please everybody all of the time. But if we can please a few people some of the time, then we will be happy.

We have been expanding rapidly and growing everyweek. We sell out everyweek also, so there are a few people out there that do like our sausage. And thank you to those people. flag waver
Big Daddy Mexico
Big Daddy Mexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next