INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wal Mart de Mexico

+10
gringal
johninajijic
Zedinmexico
Solovino
hound dog
CheenaGringo
hockables
David
Rolly
viajero
14 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Wal Mart de Mexico - Page 3 Empty Re: Wal Mart de Mexico

Post by ferret Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:17 am

It will be a very interesting development to follow. I certainly hope somebody or some company gets nailed for this. Far too many corporations have gotten away with devious business practices lately.

ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hound dog Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:09 am

David wrote:I love the quotes from management about how "this is not a relection of our corporate values and culture." Since it goes all the way to the top of the corporate ladder just what is it then?

Surely you all know that human endeavors are universally corrupt if for no other reason than they are pursued by humans. Have you all been living on Mars for the last 50 years? Everyone engaged in international commerce is corrupt and bribery for business development and real property rights is the standard not the exception. Get off your phony high horse.

Corporate values my ass. The only corporate value is ROI - take my word for that. What would you do to feed your family during times of starvation? Extrapolate that thought for the earth as it is in macrocosm.

My ancestors, for generations in the U.S. deep south enslaved Africans in order to make such things as the harvesting of cotton economically feasible and the French and English supported that enterprise to run their textile factories using subjugated impoverished labor. The moral high ground on this planet is occupied by the ant living there.

Everybody beyond the third grade knows what WalMart and Sears and a thousand other corporate endeavors and every pear orchard in California are about. Live well on the hypocrisy but do not presume moral righteousness while riding on the butts of the impoverished who feed you at a fraction of the cost that you would incur if parity among classes was the standard.

We all end up in the same place.
hound dog
hound dog
Bad Dawg
Bad Dawg

Back to top Go down

Post by hockables Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:41 am

Spot on Dawggy.... Only thing Walmart cares about... stay on top of the competitors....

If The Powers That Be ever Legalized Drugs ...Walmart would be leading the way... putt'n them Cartel Sumbitches Outta Business!
hockables
hockables
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:54 am

Granted, there is a whole bunch of speculation going on by news organizations trying to catch up to the NYT article. One such new article is:
http://marketday.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/04/23/11350733-wal-mart-bribery-allegations-could-have-far-reaching-impact?lite

On top of this, the US Stock Markets are feeling the impact:
http://marketday.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/04/23/11350865-stocks-drop-on-concerns-about-europe-wal-mart?lite

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:27 pm

hockables wrote:Spot on Dawggy.... Only thing Walmart cares about... stay on top of the competitors....

If The Powers That Be ever Legalized Drugs ...Walmart would be leading the way... putt'n them Cartel Sumbitches Outta Business!
You got that right Hocks,the cartels could learn a few things about ruthless business tactics and strategies from Walmart.I have an account at Banco de Walmart here,good interest rates,no fees and decent service,they tried for years to open banks in the US,scared the Holy Shit out of the banking industry,who sent their lobbysts(sic) en masse to congress in order to block that deal.

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Twain

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:35 pm

viajero wrote:
hockables wrote:Spot on Dawggy.... Only thing Walmart cares about... stay on top of the competitors....

You got that right Hocks,the cartels could learn a few things about ruthless business tactics and strategies from Walmart.I have an account at Banco de Walmart here,good interest rates,no fees and decent service,they tried for years to open banks in the US,scared the Holy Shit out of the banking industry,who sent their lobbysts(sic) en masse to congress in order to block that deal.

It was hilarious to watch all those sick business folks battling each other. Scumballs versus scumballs. Every argument they made against Wal-Mart Bank could be made against
the other banks. Why shouldn't Wal-Mart be able to start a bank? Every other industry owns there own bank. Boeing has the federal government being there bank with the
export bank. I don't like wallyworld and I admit I shop there down here because I am a walker but the banking industry position was outrageous ridiculous. Pure simple FEAR!!

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:55 pm

Pure simple FEAR!You got that right Zed.It probably would have saved millions of banking customers millions of dollars,but we don't have our lobby together yet.

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hound dog Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:55 pm

You guys don´t get it. For years Dawg was the principal commercial lending district manager for a major international bank in Downtown Oakland, California. This was the best commercial banking territory in the whole Bay Area including the Silicon Valley except for specialized seed capital lenders. My clients were what we in my bank defined as small businesses ,mostly privately owned industrial and service companies with revenues of between $5,000,000USD and, say, $1,000,000,000USD and this was in the 80s when the definition of what was a small business was different than today. Remember Dr. Evil in the recent movies satarizing the old James Bond movies demanding, after having been in a state of suspended animation for 40 years, a $1,000,000 ransom or he would destroy the earth and everyone laughed at him?

My clients over the years ranged from industrial firms to high tech Silicon Valley entrepreneurs to Napa and Sonoma Valley and Oregon and Washington State vineyardists and wineries and I never met one who would hesitate to fund his/her new estate or yacht or Lamborghini or beach or mountain retreat or European vacation through the company books while their employees labored away for relatively pecuniary wages.

Dawg laughs every time he hears a Republican politican lamenting taxing small business people they like to call "mom-and-pops" that constitute the largest employers in the U.S. Those people steal from everyone else´s table every day and get away with it. Dawg can no longer even remotely remember the number of extra dry double martinis I and my clients consumed while my secretary covered for me and their employees kept stamping out those industrial quality zithers nine hours a day. I must admit, it was a great and lucrative way to make a living downing those martinis.

Did the turnip truck just arrive from Fresno or has a new shipfull of Hungarian peasants just disembark in Lázaro Cárdenas? I wish I had had all you folks as clients at my bank. On the other hand, that would have been less challenging than the dudes I dealt with.

Last edited by hound dog on Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:07 pm; edited 2 times in total
hound dog
hound dog
Bad Dawg
Bad Dawg

Back to top Go down

Post by David Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:05 pm

Dawg, when you were in Oakland did you know of E-H Research and a man named Tony Kessler? Ever drink at Col. Starbottle's?
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Good

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:50 pm

Dawg with all due respect, what does your post have to do with Walmart not being allowed to go into banking in the US?BTW have you ever tried to translate the turnip truck analogy into spanish?I did and failed miserably.

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hound dog Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:40 pm

[quote="viajero"]Dawg with all due respect, what does your post have to do with Walmart not being allowed to go into banking in the US?BTW have you ever tried to translate the turnip truck analogy into spanish?I did and failed miserably.[/quote]

Sorry, Viajero. I was writing about WalMart´s corrupt practices in managing its expansion in Mexico not its efforrts to open bank branches in the United States which is an unrelated issue.d Perhaps I failed to understand the direction of the thread but my point about corruuption in international busines practices does not seem to me to compromised.
Who, living in Mexico, really gives a damn about whether or not WalMart can open bank branches in the United States?

The turnip truck nonsense cannot be easily translated from culture to culture and a literal translation into Spanish, especiallly from Spanish speaking country to other Spanish speaking countries risks creating confusion for a number of reasons including the fact that turnips are not held in poor esteem everywhere as they are in certain regions. For instance, when Dawg lived in parts of Africa some 40 plus years ago, the turnip was held in great esteem and considered a delicacy but, in parts of Europe, the turnip was considered only fit for consumption by livestock thus the folks who worked the turnip truck were considered to be of the lower classes and without status and to inquire as to whether or not one had just arrived on the turnip truck might be a universally disparaging question in Paris but not in Algeirs say, back in the 1960s. On the other hand, to have arrived on the pig truck in Paris in those days would not be a denigration but in Algeirs it would be an unacceptable, even dangerous thing to have done.

I hope this clarifies the issue for you but I doubt it just based on the fact that you asked the question and if it doesn´t, you´ll hear no more from me even though I have some wonderful anectdotes explaining cultural norms which are historical and best understood anectdotally but you´ll need to explain in more depth your confusion on this issue.
hound dog
hound dog
Bad Dawg
Bad Dawg

Back to top Go down

Post by hockables Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:30 pm

hound dog wrote:[quote="viajero"]Dawg with all due respect, what does your post have to do with Walmart not being allowed to go into banking in the US?BTW have you ever tried to translate the turnip truck analogy into spanish?I did and failed miserably.

Sorry, Viajero. I was writing about WalMart´s corrupt practices in managing its expansion in Mexico not its efforrts to open bank branches in the United States which is an unrelated issue.d Perhaps I failed to understand the direction of the thread but my point about corruuption in international busines practices does not seem to me to compromised.
Who, living in Mexico, really gives a damn about whether or not WalMart can open bank branches in the United States?

The turnip truck nonsense cannot be easily translated from culture to culture and a literal translation into Spanish, especiallly from Spanish speaking country to other Spanish speaking countries risks creating confusion for a number of reasons including the fact that turnips are not held in poor esteem everywhere as they are in certain regions. For instance, when Dawg lived in parts of Africa some 40 plus years ago, the turnip was held in great esteem and considered a delicacy but, in parts of Europe, the turnip was considered only fit for consumption by livestock thus the folks who worked the turnip truck were considered to be of the lower classes and without status and to inquire as to whether or not one had just arrived on the turnip truck might be a universally disparaging question in Paris but not in Algeirs say, back in the 1960s. On the other hand, to have arrived on the pig truck in Paris in those days would not be a denigration but in Algeirs it would be an unacceptable, even dangerous thing to have done.

I hope this clarifies the issue for you but I doubt it just based on the fact that you asked the question and if it doesn´t, you´ll hear no more from me even though I have some wonderful anectdotes explaining cultural norms which are historical and best understood anectdotally but you´ll need to explain in more depth your confusion on this issue.[/quote]

**********************************************************************************************

If my recollection serves me... them dumb shits in Europe usta regard tomatoes as poisonous and only good for livestock...
thatz why they gave em all to the Italians.... snork

What thatz got ta do with the price of Sushi @ The Walmart? I dunno...

Last edited by hockables on Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:32 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : f#@Qnn quote thingy is broken!!)
hockables
hockables
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:05 pm

Wal-Mart faces federal criminal probe tied to allegations of bribery in Mexico:

"The Justice Department has been conducting a criminal probe of Wal-Mart for allegations of systematic bribery in Mexico, according to three people familiar with the matter.

The investigation was launched in December after Wal-Mart met voluntarily with Justice Department officials, revealing it was looking into whether its Wal-Mart de Mexico unit had bribed foreign officials to gain business. Wal-Mart said this weekend that it has also met with the Securities and Exchange Commission. The allegations were brought to light by the New York Times on Saturday.........

http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/economy/wal-mart-faces-federal-criminal-probe-tied-to-allegations-of-bribery-in-mexico/2012/04/23/gIQA7t9lcT_story.html

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:43 pm

Wal-Mart collapses 12.01% on the Mexican Stock
And 4.66% on the US Market.

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.eluniversal.com.mx%2Fnotas%2F843120.html

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hockables Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:45 pm

CheenaGringo wrote:Wal-Mart collapses 12.01% on the Mexican Stock
And 4.66% on the US Market.

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.eluniversal.com.mx%2Fnotas%2F843120.html

Better get in there and BUY..BUY..BUY... before Buffett gets it all...
hockables
hockables
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by casi nada Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:43 am

hound dog wrote:You guys don´t get it. For years Dawg was the principal commercial lending district manager for a major international bank in Downtown Oakland, California. This was the best commercial banking territory in the whole Bay Area including the Silicon Valley except for specialized seed capital lenders. My clients were what we in my bank defined as small businesses ,mostly privately owned industrial and service companies with revenues of between $5,000,000USD and, say, $1,000,000,000USD and this was in the 80s..........

In other words, you played AA baseball in the minor leagues and never could hit the curveball. I spent years negotiating with the dumb-asses at the commercial lending dept. at Bank of America. To call them retarded would be be an insult to the retarded. The truly intelligent ones didn't last long and usually ended up at Goldman Sachs. Those guys could hit the curveball, and anything else you could throw at them.

casi nada
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:42 pm

For today's surprise courtesy of WallyWorld:

"Wal-Mart took part in lobbying campaign to amend anti-bribery law"

"Wal-Mart, the giant retailer now under fire over allegations of foreign bribery in Mexico, has participated in an aggressive and high-priced lobbying campaign to amend the long-standing U.S. anti-bribery law that the company might have violated.

The push to revisit how federal authorities enforce the statute has been centered at a little-known but well-funded arm of the U.S. Chamber of Commerce where a top executive of Wal-Mart has sat on the board of directors for nearly a decade.

The effort has intensified in the past two years, drawing on the backing of several large companies and trade groups such as the Retail Industry Leaders Association, where one of Wal-Mart’s top executives serves as a director. It also has involved high-powered lobbyists, including former attorney general Michael B. Mukasey.....................................

http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/economy/wal-mart-took-part-in-lobbying-campaign-to-amend-anti-bribery-law/2012/04/24/gIQAyZcdfT_story.html?wpisrc=al_comboNE

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hound dog Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:35 pm

[quote="casi nada"]
hound dog wrote:You guys don´t get it. For years Dawg was the principal commercial lending district manager for a major international bank in Downtown Oakland, California. This was the best commercial banking territory in the whole Bay Area including the Silicon Valley except for specialized seed capital lenders. My clients were what we in my bank defined as small businesses ,mostly privately owned industrial and service companies with revenues of between $5,000,000USD and, say, $1,000,000,000USD and this was in the 80s..........

In other words, you played AA baseball in the minor leagues and never could hit the curveball. I spent years negotiating with the dumb-asses at the commercial lending dept. at Bank of America. To call them retarded would be be an insult to the retarded. The truly intelligent ones didn't last long and usually ended up at Goldman Sachs. Those guys could hit the curveball, and anything else you could throw at them.[/quote]

If Dawg had reached such a low point in his life, despite being 70 years old, and with no place to go but to walk my baby dog to the beach, to respond with any effort to such a low life as this you folks, if you have any class at all, would lose any respect you may have had for me before I wallowed in self-degradation by presuming to engage in an pseudo-intellectual discourse with a cockroach of no consequence. appearing out of the ether.

By the way, the AA League isn´t Goldman Sachs. We didn´t nearly bankrupt the western world with our curveballs and Dawg sold his Goldman Sachs and Lehman Bros. corporate bonds just in time before Lehman went under. I hope this moron bought them.
hound dog
hound dog
Bad Dawg
Bad Dawg

Back to top Go down

Post by hockables Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:54 pm

hound dog wrote:[quote="casi nada"]

In other words, you played AA baseball in the minor leagues and never could hit the curveball. I spent years negotiating with the dumb-asses at the commercial lending dept. at Bank of America. To call them retarded would be be an insult to the retarded. The truly intelligent ones didn't last long and usually ended up at Goldman Sachs. Those guys could hit the curveball, and anything else you could throw at them.

If Dawg had reached such a low point in his life, despite being 70 years old, and with no place to go but to walk my baby dog to the beach, to respond with any effort to such a low life as this you folks, if you have any class at all, would lose any respect you may have had for me before I wallowed in self-degradation by presuming to engage in an pseudo-intellectual discourse with a cockroach of no consequence. appearing out of the ether.

By the way, the AA League isn´t Goldman Sachs. We didn´t nearly bankrupt the western world with our curveballs and Dawg sold his Goldman Sachs and Lehman Bros. corporate bonds just in time before Lehman went under. I hope this moron bought them.[/quote]

**********************************************************************************************

don't believe a single one of em had anything ta do with AA...
hockables
hockables
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:53 am

casi nada wrote:

Dawg he is copying you and doing a good job.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hound dog Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:32 am

[quote="Zedinmexico"][
Dawg he is copying you and doing a good job.
Z[/quote]

Dawg thought he seemed rather clever if abrupt which I guess is your point. I´m not only beginning to like this casi nada but even you, Zed despite your earlier disparaging remarks which I did not take seriously. I mean, if I needed help as you suggested, would Ajijic be the place, with local demand for psychiatric help being so high, where I could get an appointment within the decade?
hound dog
hound dog
Bad Dawg
Bad Dawg

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:51 am

casi nada wrote: The truly intelligent ones didn't last long and usually ended up at Goldman Sachs. Those guys could hit the curveball, and anything else you could throw at them.
I thought they were better known for throwing curve balls rather than hitting them,a%&hole wall street parasites.

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by casi nada Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:38 pm

viajero wrote:
casi nada wrote: The truly intelligent ones didn't last long and usually ended up at Goldman Sachs. Those guys could hit the curveball, and anything else you could throw at them.
I thought they were better known for throwing curve balls rather than hitting them,a%&hole wall street parasites.

Not curveballs. Up and in. They're the Bob Gibson of investment banking. Merrill Lynch is the kid who's left over after the captains pick their teams. When the US Govt basically told B of A to purchase Merrill after the great deregulation clusterf**k, all I could think of was a degenerate barber blowing a fat kid.

casi nada
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hound dog Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:59 pm

Tell me, Zed, are you and casi nada actually the retired stars of Ed Wood´s Glen Or Glenda now retired in Ajijic?
hound dog
hound dog
Bad Dawg
Bad Dawg

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:02 pm

Up and in,that's great,where were the umpires when we needed them?Let's not sully the great Bob Gibson by mentioning him in reference with these a#$holes,he didn't cause people to lose their homes,jobs or retirements, he just threw a mean pitch.

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:37 pm

hound dog wrote:Tell me, Zed, are you and casi nada actually the retired stars of Ed Wood´s Glen Or Glenda now retired in Ajijic?

Naw but my wife was in a couple of movies filmed in the bay area. She was making a movie with Valerie Bertanelli (sp) in the bart subway somewhere
and she played a mother holding a baby which was a doll. My wife says out of boredom (making movies is a lot of boredom) just when the subway
would leave she would pick up the doll and start hitting the wall with it just as the train was moving out of sight. LOL. My wife is very nice but she
does have a strange side to her. LOL. Hey Dawg I like Ed Wood movies! I like bad movies,sometimes they are much better at entertainment than a
very serious movie. My favorite bad movie was a japanese movie that was translated LITERALLY oh man was it funny. I remember it was named "Hot
Banana Oil" which after investigation means trouble in slang japanese. Any other bad movie fans?

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next