INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tequila

+15
martygraw
merry
hound dog
simpsca
Zedinmexico
NoTengoNada
Solovino
rico
CanuckBob
sparks
David
Trailrunner
Big Daddy Mexico
CheenaGringo
Mainecoons
19 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Tequila Empty Tequila

Post by Mainecoons Sun May 20, 2012 8:14 pm

OK, educate me. What are the best "sipping" Tequilas and where do you find the best values? I have this thought that there might be some Tequilas from smaller producers that outshine the big, well known, guys on both quality and price. Let's hear it from the experts!
Mainecoons
Mainecoons
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Mad Magazine

Back to top Go down

Tequila Empty Re: Tequila

Post by CheenaGringo Sun May 20, 2012 8:18 pm

MC:

If you look in the Food & Drink section, there is a fair amount of info. Tequila taste is a subjective topic and you will find 100's or 1000's of opinions. One good site: http://www.tequila.net/

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Daddy Mexico Sun May 20, 2012 8:19 pm

My best friend worked for years at the Sauza Tequila Factory in Tequila and he will only drink Blanco because of its purity. Reposada and Anejo are aged in wood barrels and give a different flavor that is great too. Personal preference.
Beer
Big Daddy Mexico
Big Daddy Mexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

http://www.bigdaddyssausages.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Daddy Mexico Sun May 20, 2012 8:23 pm

Reposado and Anejo should be sipped at room temp. Anejo should be drank without lime or salt. Blanco should be drank cooled. From what I have been told on my numerous tours of Tequila.
Beer
Big Daddy Mexico
Big Daddy Mexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Mainecoons Sun May 20, 2012 8:23 pm

I did run a search on the food and drink section. A lot of tourist and botique info there but what I'm looking for is practical input from folks who like to drink Tequila straight up and what they are drinking, why, where from and best place to buy.

I'm looking for the kind of input Big Daddy is providing. Also recommendations of specific brands and where to buy.

Mods may want to move this to food and drink.
Mainecoons
Mainecoons
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Mad Magazine

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Sun May 20, 2012 8:25 pm

Maincoons, consider asking Mexicans. Mexican bartenders or restaurateurs even.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Daddy Mexico Sun May 20, 2012 8:28 pm

For the price, 100 Anos is pretty good. It is made in an old Sauza factory in Tequila and is of great quality. It is being sold at a lower price to pay bills.

The best place to buy is from the factories in Tequila. Then you know exactly what you are getting. Or in a sealed bottle. Anything else and you have no idea if it is watered down.

The journey is the best part of Tequila sampling. LOL
Beer
Big Daddy Mexico
Big Daddy Mexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Daddy Mexico Sun May 20, 2012 8:32 pm

However, I have falllin in love with Don Julio 70. His new blanco tequila. He just past on at the age of 83? It is the #2 tequila in Mexico and #4 in the US.

Great great tequila.

Third generation blanco Sauza is also great. They stopped making it for 8 months and are now making it again. I missed it. LOL
Big Daddy Mexico
Big Daddy Mexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by David Sun May 20, 2012 8:36 pm

Don Julio sold out several years ago to one of the big wine and spirits companies. Don Julio is mass produced mediocre tequila IMHO. However, Don Julio Gonzalez took the millions he was given and built a superb facility that makes stunning tequila. The name is Gonzalez. You can find it at PAZ. Try the Blanco first, it's the real thing. Then try the aged-in-wood products made for the foreign market and see which you prefer.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Good

Back to top Go down

Post by sparks Sun May 20, 2012 8:42 pm

This is a Sams Club Ad ... that I believe is part of Walmart and Bodega. Advertised price here is $39.98mx but I've been paying $47 at Bodega. Much better than many I've tried ... both for a sip and mixed.

Tequila 159393x
http://www.sams.com.mx/Pages/product.aspx?category=Tequila&cat=SamsClub_MX&pid=159393&SortBy=&Asc=&rank=10&ig=Tequila-Vinos-Individual-Home

I've had two landlords that live in Guad and both have brought down some great "no name" stuff ... no cost to me. It must be out there

My workers call Tequila and Coke a Cuba. Great at the end of the week or a hard day
sparks
sparks
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : The joke's on me

http://sparksmex.blogspot.mx/

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Daddy Mexico Sun May 20, 2012 9:09 pm

Don Julio Tequila was considered to be the first "Luxury Tequila" and is still produced in the same facility today. In 1999 he did a joint venture with Seagrams to take his Tequila Globaly. Don Julio sold 50% of his company when he was 78 years old and then sold the remaining balance when he turned 80. His son's started Gonzalez Tequila 4 years ago to carry on their fathers legacy. And he died in March at age 87.
Big Daddy Mexico
Big Daddy Mexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Mon May 21, 2012 1:27 am

For those that may not know, Sauza is now owned by Jim Beam.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by David Mon May 21, 2012 7:07 am

and Cuervo is talking about selling out. Herradura was sold a few years ago. Look at little producers such as Don Fulano and Casa Noble for very high quality, hand-crafted tequilas.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by rico Mon May 21, 2012 7:40 am

Go to La Paz liquors and try a bottle of Siete Leguas, either silver or reposada, I recommend both. NOB its known as Patron. Here its just known as good tequila. 3 star rating, D Julio is 2 star. It can be googled.

rico

Back to top Go down

Post by Solovino Mon May 21, 2012 7:52 am

David wrote:and Cuervo is talking about selling out. Herradura was sold a few years ago. Look at little producers such as Don Fulano and Casa Noble for very high quality, hand-crafted tequilas.

Hand crafted?

Solovino
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by NoTengoNada Mon May 21, 2012 7:58 am

Some good points here. Sauza is Jim Beam, Cazadores is Barcardi, Herradura is Sazarak, and so on and so forth.

Here's what to look for. Look at the NOM (Norma Oficial Mexicano) ID number on the label. It must be there. That is who actually made the tequila. Keep in mind that over 500 brands are made by only about 50 distilleries. Some make only the labels they own and others will fill for anyone looking to be in the business. For example, Casa Noble is made by a huge distillery making over 20 different brands with each one telling a different story. Pretty bottle though.

Go to the CRT (Consejo Regulador del Tequila) and download an NOM list. Or go to tequila dot net. Lot of great information on that site. IMO the tequila produced in Los Altos (the Highlands) is best. Those are tequilas from Arandas, Jesus Maria, La Capilla, Atotonilco, Tepatitlan,. The other Jalisco producing area of note is in and around the town of Tequila. Here we find the big boys. Souza, Cuervo, and numerous bulk producers who ship tequila, in tank cars, all over the world. Herradura is in Amatiton, a nearby town.

Don't ask bartenders, truly, for the most part they don't know anything other than the commercial BS.
I'm not going to endorse any brand. The taste preference is your call.

NoTengoNada

Back to top Go down

Post by David Mon May 21, 2012 8:07 am

Small batch, as opposed to mass produced. The small makers don't use the mechanized short cuts the big producers use.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Mon May 21, 2012 8:08 am

Believe it or not Kirkland (costco) Tequila is pretty good!! Beat out a lot
of names in taste tests.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by Solovino Mon May 21, 2012 8:11 am

David wrote:Small batch, as opposed to mass produced. The small makers don't use the mechanized short cuts the big producers use.

In other words, a marketing tool used as Snob-Aid.

Solovino
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by David Mon May 21, 2012 8:12 am

NoTengoNada wrote:Some good points here. Sauza is Jim Beam, Cazadores is Barcardi, Herradura is Sazarak, and so on and so forth.

Here's what to look for. Look at the NOM (Norma Oficial Mexicano) ID number on the label. It must be there. That is who actually made the tequila. Keep in mind that over 500 brands are made by only about 50 distilleries. Some make only the labels they own and others will fill for anyone looking to be in the business. For example, Casa Noble is made by a huge distillery making over 20 different brands with each one telling a different story. Pretty bottle though.

Go to the CRT (Consejo Regulador del Tequila) and download an NOM list. Or go to tequila dot net. Lot of great information on that site. IMO the tequila produced in Los Altos (the Highlands) is best. Those are tequilas from Arandas, Jesus Maria, La Capilla, Atotonilco, Tepatitlan,. The other Jalisco producing area of note is in and around the town of Tequila. Here we find the big boys. Souza, Cuervo, and numerous bulk producers who ship tequila, in tank cars, all over the world. Herradura is in Amatiton, a nearby town.

Don't ask bartenders, truly, for the most part they don't know anything other than the commercial BS.
I'm not going to endorse any brand. The taste preference is your call.

Agree about Los Altos. However, where they're made isn't important, it's where the Agave was grown. Casa Noble is made by Orendain, they do make other brands but each one is unique. As distilleries go, theirs is quite small.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by David Mon May 21, 2012 8:14 am

rico wrote:Go to La Paz liquors and try a bottle of Siete Leguas, either silver or reposada, I recommend both. NOB its known as Patron. Here its just known as good tequila. 3 star rating, D Julio is 2 star. It can be googled.

It's PAZ vinos y licores, not "La Paz." It's owned by the Paz family. Siete Leguas make excellent tequila but it's not Patron. Siete Leguas made Patron under contract for the first seven years of Patron, then Patron built their own distillery several years ago.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by David Mon May 21, 2012 8:16 am

Solovino wrote:
David wrote:Small batch, as opposed to mass produced. The small makers don't use the mechanized short cuts the big producers use.

In other words, a marketing tool used as Snob-Aid.

The mass production of wine and spirits employ many controversial production processes to speed production. The big tequila makers do the same.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by simpsca Mon May 21, 2012 8:30 am

I don't know much about tequila but Augustin at Viva Mexico in San Juan Cosala buys it from a guy who comes around with a big barrel. It is very smooth and powerful, and not very expensive. I understand if you bring an empty bottle he will fill it for you at a very reasonable price. Anyway it is my favorite tequila and no brand name and no fancy price.
simpsca
simpsca
Events Reporter
Events Reporter

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Mon May 21, 2012 8:31 am

David:

I beg to differ on Casa Noble. I remembered from our tour of La Cofradia last August being told that they produced Casa Noble and it was even included in our tasting. Just for drill, I looked and here is confirmation: http://www.tequila.net/tequila-reviews/reposados/casa-noble-tequila-reposado.html
I would certainly agree on the taste!

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by David Mon May 21, 2012 9:28 am

Arrghh! My mistake. Of course it's Cofradia! Did you visit the pottery works as well?
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next