INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Asking the tough question

+20
Jerry00
Hensley
simpsca
jrm30655
Flamingo
hockables
Rosa Venus
Jim W
Sideways
Guiness
Grizzy
Luisa
ferret
CheenaGringo
little italy
David
Smartalex
CanuckBob
viajero
RONINMN
24 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Asking the tough question - Page 2 Empty Re: Asking the tough question

Post by RONINMN Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:44 pm

Many thanks to all that responded. I hope that my wife and I get to meet you in person. Maybe at Swarm XX. Thanks again.
Ron

RONINMN

Back to top Go down

Post by Flamingo Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:57 pm

Ron I would just add a few thoughts. We have lived here over 4 years. If the recent events had happened right after we got here, I would have been a basket case. As it was I have learned to feel at home here, and while my heart broke for the friends who lost relatives in May, I won't consider leaving.

[for several years, I lived about a mile and a half from the Aurora theater where the shootings took place. Sort of puts things into a different perspective]

Include in your list of where to live thoughts: country mouse vs. city mouse. I was a big city person until I lived 5 years in the Colorado high country. I have tried and I can't go back to living in even a town. We have lived in Brisias, Roca Azul and Chapala Haciandas. For us a country setting is almost a necessity.

Come down, rent for 6 months and get a feel for the place. Hang out at the neighborhood markets, the weekly tianguis, the little hole-in-the-wall restaurants, and see how you like it.
Flamingo
Flamingo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by jrm30655 Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:23 pm

I've lived here 4.5 years now. Haven't been back to the US in that time.

I came here when I saw the housing bubble start to burst. I sold my house and headed here because I had to be somewhere and this suited me at the time. My original plan was to just sit out the recession and then go back. Still waiting on that to happen.

Now, I'm not inclined to go back because I don't like what is happening in the US. Don't like the way the government is going etc.

No place is perfect and when the violence here picked up, I certainly thought about moving somewhere else but the question was "Move where?"

This place seems to be as good as any and better than most so I'm staying put. Good healthcare, good local people, big airport 30 minutes away, good shopping in Guad, easy immigration and you can't beat the weather or cost of living.

I don't think I can find that combination in the states anywhere.

jrm30655
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by simpsca Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:02 am

My advice is to visit, visit, and visit some more. I visited various parts of Mexico for 20 years prior to moving here. I made friends in Guadalajara - Mexican and from the US. I also researched the medical situation in Guadalajara since I knew at my age I would need to utilize medical services (some of the best I've had). When I moved here I had a very good idea of what to expect.

Does the crime concern me - yes. But I was robbed more often in New York City that here and was beaten over the head by a crazy lady with a soda bottle in NYC (no bodily harm here).

So like CBob you can read the board and it will give you a feel for this area. But come and visit often to make your decision.
simpsca
simpsca
Events Reporter
Events Reporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Hensley Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:58 pm

In July we drove from here to Wyoming and back, and I felt safer in Mexico than I did sometimes in the states. People are not friendly up there at all.

People would ask us about how safe it was and my reply was well no one down here walks into a movie theater and shoots everyone, that shut them up.

Glad to see family and friends but great to get home.

Hensley
Hensley
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jerry00 Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:56 am

I don't know why people compare crime in Mexico to up north. We don't live there we live here. I have lived in Mexico for over twenty years and I have had my car stolen and my house robbed numerous times. Security offered by the police here is non existent. I was well aware of the security and corruption in Mexico before I moved here. Yet I still like Mexico and plan to continue to live here. I believe people should know what they are getting into before cutting all ties up north and moving down here. The majority of people I knew with FM2's have moved back to the U.S. The reasons were, newness wore off, health/medicare, and missing their families.

Jerry00
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:01 am

Jerry00 wrote:I don't know why people compare crime in Mexico to up north. We don't live there we live here. I have lived in Mexico for over twenty years and I have had my car stolen and my house robbed numerous times. Security offered by the police here is non existent. I was well aware of the security and corruption in Mexico before I moved here. Yet I still like Mexico and plan to continue to live here. I believe people should know what they are getting into before cutting all ties up north and moving down here. The majority of people I knew with FM2's have moved back to the U.S. The reasons were, newness wore off, health/medicare, and missing their families.

I've been here 11 years and most all my neighbors have been here 8 + years. They have never had their cars stolen or attempted to be stolen. We have never had robberies either. It doesn't make sense why anyone would have numerous house robberies. It's definitely not the norm here.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sometimes

Back to top Go down

Post by hockables Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:18 am

johninajijic wrote:
Jerry00 wrote:I don't know why people compare crime in Mexico to up north. We don't live there we live here. I have lived in Mexico for over twenty years and I have had my car stolen and my house robbed numerous times. Security offered by the police here is non existent. I was well aware of the security and corruption in Mexico before I moved here. Yet I still like Mexico and plan to continue to live here. I believe people should know what they are getting into before cutting all ties up north and moving down here. The majority of people I knew with FM2's have moved back to the U.S. The reasons were, newness wore off, health/medicare, and missing their families.

I've been here 11 years and most all my neighbors have been here 8 + years. They have never had their cars stolen or attempted to be stolen. We have never had robberies either. It doesn't make sense why anyone would have numerous house robberies. It's definitely not the norm here.

Unless U lived next to The Whore House
hockables
hockables
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jerry00 Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:57 pm

Yes John it's perfectly safe here because you and your friends haven't been victims.
I guess thats the reason lakeside crime was started.

Jerry00
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Asking the tough question - Page 2 Empty Stuff Happens Everywhere

Post by jack3sea Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:56 pm

Viajero said, "Stuff happens everywhere, like in a movie theater in Colorado."

We live in central Illinois, about 2 hours south of Chicago.  The high crime rate in Chicago is always in the news.  Here in our town of Champaign/Urbana - about 100,000 people - there were a recent flurry of shootings in the "north end" - we happen to live there.  There was a lot of publicity.  We hadn't had anything like that for some time.

It seems there can be outbursts of violence everywhere, even where they haven't had much recently - we heard about some murders in a small town in Iowa recently.

I like the idea of several short-term visits and a longer term visit to Mexico before the official move.  There are a lot of other factors besides the crime that one needs to learn about and to adjust to.

I plan to visit the Lake Chapala area in December and we hope to move there in a year or two... from everything I've read so far, the pluses far outweigh the minuses...

Jack

jack3sea

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:03 pm

"...the pluses far outweigh the minuses..."

That sums it up for me too.
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Biting

Back to top Go down

Post by hockables Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:46 pm

when u get here... yer instant " upper class "
hockables
hockables
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by juanrey Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:39 am

Make multiple trips, get to know the area a little bit, get together with some of those who actually reside there full-time and listen to their experiences.
You'll find it easy to meet people and form friendships, those friends provide for a much easier transition.
Nice place, nice lifestyle, but not for everyone. So test drive it.
juanrey
juanrey
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : George Carlin

https://sites.google.com/site/ouradventureinchapala/

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:55 am

Hocks:

That depends on the quality of your "border promotion"!

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2