INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BEWARE OF SCAMS

+3
hockables
Irish Gal
alfnannie
7 posters

Go down

BEWARE OF SCAMS Empty BEWARE OF SCAMS

Post by alfnannie Sun Jul 18, 2010 4:50 pm

Two female friends of ours were at Costco in Guadalajara yesterday. They had finished their shopping and were sitting outside at the picnic benches when a well dressed couple pointed to a key lying on the ground under the picnic table. Of course they leaned over to have a look at what they were pointing at and at that instant someone else behind them reached into one of their purses and stole their wallet. Normally, she has the purse zipped up but the zipper had just broken earlier that day. The irony of this is that they had just been discussing how people are being duped by people like this. As this was happening, the woman whose wallet was stolen suddenly thought that this might be a scam and sure enough it was, but it was too late.
They took her debit card and cleaned out her bank account. Apparently, you don't have to use a pin number when using a debit card in Mexico to buy merchandise.
One bit of advice would be to only carry your debit card or credit cards when you are going to use them, otherwise, leave them at home. If you do have them with you, carry them in another pocket, not your purse or wallet. Be safe, not sorry.

alfnannie

Back to top Go down

BEWARE OF SCAMS Empty Re: BEWARE OF SCAMS

Post by Irish Gal Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:46 pm

Thanks for the valuable information about not having to use a PIN for a debit card in Mexico. Would that also apply to cards from NOB?

Irish Gal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by alfnannie Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:58 pm

I'm not sure if that applies to cards from NOB. I only found out about this yesterday and it was a debit card issued here in Mexico. Maybe someone will know.

alfnannie

Back to top Go down

Post by hockables Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:16 pm

WARNING !!!!!

If a man comes to your front door and says he is conducting a survey and he asks you to show him your tits,

DO NOT SHOW HIM YOUR TITS.

This is a scam and he is only trying to SEE YOUR tits.

"I wish someone had told me this before. (God, I feel so stupid.)"
hockables
hockables
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by simpsca Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:03 pm

Any debit card that has Visa written on it can be used as both a debit card or as a Visa card. In most cases, if charges are made, your bank balance is reduced. Some people also have lines of credit on the same account. But if it says Visa on it, you don't need a pin to use it.

I understand that you can make arrangements to have your bank request a photo ID in order to process the Visa charge. In that case the cashier should ask you to see a photo ID before they process the charge.
simpsca
simpsca
Events Reporter
Events Reporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Walter Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:33 am

On the signature line of my credit cards I print "ASK FOR PICTURE ID" Then I have to produce my drivers license to complete the transaction.
Walter
Walter
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by alfnannie Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:52 am

I thought that putting "Ask for ID" on the signature line was a good idea too, so I did it. One day about 5 years ago I lost my credit card. I noticed it almost immediately (within an hour), phoned the credit card company to cancel the card and they said they would. When my next statement came, there were over $1,200 in charges that I hadn't made. When I called the credit card company they said that the guy I talked to earlier hadn't cancelled my card. I didn't have to pay for the charges, but my point is that even with the "Ask for ID" on the card, someone was able to use it freely. I made a point after that to see how many cashiers asked me for ID and I can count on one hand how many asked in 5 years, so it's certainly not a foolproof idea.

alfnannie

Back to top Go down

Post by Walter Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:56 pm

A lot of the places I shop ask for it. Not a cure all, but it helps.
Walter
Walter
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by bobnliz Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:44 pm

Shoot ~ Up here any purchase under $50 on my Master Card needs no signature or pin number. Which I think sucks. Lizzy
bobnliz
bobnliz
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : wry ans dry

Back to top Go down

Post by Walter Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:25 pm

Liz, I don't remember a purchase under $50 here in Alberta. :(
Walter
Walter
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by bobnliz Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:23 pm

Walter, are you saying there's nothing in Alberta to be purchased for $50 or less?
I had no idea Canuckcountry was so expensive. Lizzy
bobnliz
bobnliz
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Walter Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:27 pm

I'm a big tipper! BEWARE OF SCAMS 169387
Walter
Walter
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by bobnliz Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:26 pm

Ya, dat was an expensive cuppa coffee. Lizzy Suspect
bobnliz
bobnliz
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by alfnannie Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:16 pm

It isn't only the money that one may lose when someone steals your card(s), it's the pain in the a__ trying to get everything replaced, especially when you are living here in Mexico and your cards, driver's license etc. are issued from NOB. It's bad enough when you are still living NOB.
You might want to stop and think what you would do, if today, you had your purse or wallet stollen. Could you replace everything EASILY?
Also, one other piece of advice no matter where you live, one of the first places you should call and let know that your card(s) has been stollen or lost is EQUIFAX. They can put a stop on ALL of your cards immediately.
I still think that we should change our habits and carry only what is necessary for the day and not all in one place such as a wallet or purse.

alfnannie

Back to top Go down

Post by Demonio Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:25 pm

Hock, if you try that scam at Lakeside, you're in for the surprise or scare of your life. Not a pretty sight! - in most cases. Members of this board excluded, of course.
hockables wrote:WARNING !!!!!

If a man comes to your front door and says he is conducting a survey and he asks you to show him your tits,

DO NOT SHOW HIM YOUR TITS.

This is a scam and he is only trying to SEE YOUR tits.

"I wish someone had told me this before. (God, I feel so stupid.)"
Demonio
Demonio
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : None

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down