INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Side Effects of Cholesterol Lowering Drugs (Statins)

+3
Trailrunner
gringal
ferret
7 posters

Go down

Side Effects of Cholesterol Lowering Drugs (Statins) Empty Side Effects of Cholesterol Lowering Drugs (Statins)

Post by ferret Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:18 am

This is but one article
http://articles.mcall.com/2012-03-10/opinion/mc-statin-side-effects-meade-yv--20120310_1_statins-crestor-people-without-heart-disease

If you are using these medicines please, do yourself a favour, and google the side effects. Are they worth it?
1) muscle pain and weakness 2) joint pain 3)urinary problems 4) kidney problems

They won't happen to everyone but thought I'd give everyone a heads up to be aware. Big Pharma at it again.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Side Effects of Cholesterol Lowering Drugs (Statins) Empty Re: Side Effects of Cholesterol Lowering Drugs (Statins)

Post by gringal Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:36 am

ferret wrote:This is but one article
http://articles.mcall.com/2012-03-10/opinion/mc-statin-side-effects-meade-yv--20120310_1_statins-crestor-people-without-heart-disease

If you are using these medicines please, do yourself a favour, and google the side effects. Are they worth it?
1) muscle pain and weakness 2) joint pain 3)urinary problems 4) kidney problems

They won't happen to everyone but thought I'd give everyone a heads up to be aware. Big Pharma at it again.

Thanks for posting this article. Back in the states, my husband's doctor prescribed statins for high cholesterol.
Before going that route, he asked the doctor what other options were available. The doctor said people could change their diets, exercise more, lose weight, etc. but "they won't do it, so I prescribe statins". After which, people go right back to chowing down on the foods that caused the problem in the first place, thinking they now have a "free pass".
My husband didn't take the statins. He changed his diet, did some research, discovered the benefits of Nopal (sold in pill form everywhere) and in three months, lowered his cholesterol 50 points. That was eight years ago, and he is in excellent condition, according to the last exam.

What we have noticed about the people who went on statins is a curious personality change. Creative people such as sculptors and painters tend to lose their edge. No way to measure that, but that's my anecdotal comment. Big Pharma is making a bundle on this shuck and jive. Most seniors are on 5 or more prescription drugs.......and that can't be good for them in the big picture. But, as the doc said: "they wont" make the lifestyle changes. Too bad.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Side Effects of Cholesterol Lowering Drugs (Statins) Empty Re: Side Effects of Cholesterol Lowering Drugs (Statins)

Post by ferret Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:57 am

Sometimes it's not the lifestyle changes...we also produce cholesterol in our own livers.
I never did think that my hubby should be on them...his cholesterol wasn't that high but it was a "precaution" after he had his artificial femoral arteries done.
Since this latest medical episode, I have been researching EVERY single prescribed medication...not only for side effects but for cross reactions.
He was off the Statin for three weeks...doing fine post surgically and then started up the Statin (with permission) last Wednesday. Voila, started with muscle cramps in his legs that are getting worse and a problem urinating.
Guess what he stopped taking today? (after running it by the Doc)
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:28 pm

Hey you two, you've been reading my mail! Great to hear your experiences, mine are the same.

I'm now 90% vegan and sport a total cholesterol of 171 - down from 245 and daily statins. Of course, I took myself off the statin. It is a total Big Pharm 'shuck and jive' (thanks for that!) and only proven beneficial for men - men who have previously had a heart attack!

Thought provoking observation on creative people losing their edge, Gringal.

Yay for us!

Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Rolly Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:29 pm

Total cholesterol is only part of the story. Triglycerides are important, too. As are the two components of total cholesterol -- LDL and HDL. If you look only at total cholesterol, you can miss problems in these other factors. If you don't know your scores on all these factors, you know only part of your story.

These are the generally accepted goals:
Total Cholesterol less than 200
Cholesterol HDL greater than 40
Cholesterol LDL less than 100
Triglycerides less than 150
Rolly
Rolly
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Weird

http://rollybrook.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:45 pm

Did you know Rolly, that thirty years ago the upper level of normal for a total cholesterol was 250 mg%?
thirty years ago...nobody was testing for the two different types of cholesterol because nobody knew there were two different kinds...one good (HDL) and one bad (LDL)
thirty years ago...nobody paid much attention to triglycerides
thirty years ago...nobody was doing "lipid profiles".
thirty years ago...a lot of Doctors wasted a lot of lab time and money by not instructing their patients to fast because they didn't think it was important. DUH!

Now...I wonder who/what played a part in getting that "normal" for cholesterol lowered by 50mg%?

ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:04 pm

Gosh..........WHO would want to do that?
pirat

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:18 pm

Exactly! It was the pharmaceutical companies that got the threshold dropped from 250 to 200.

Rolly, I didn' t want to bore everyone with the whole panel, but here is how it went:

Oct 2011
Total - 245
HDL - 72
LDL - 145
Trig - 140

6 mos later after fairly strict vegan diet:

April 2012
Total - 177
HDL - 64
LDL - 87
Trig - 130

Another big factor in heart disease, besides cholesterol, is inflammation. Here is a great video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zQAOQRpG8k&feature=player_embedded

Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by alfnannie Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:35 pm

If you want to watch some interesting health videos, go to: www.ihealthtube.com
Simply type in "search" the subject that you interested in.

alfnannie

Back to top Go down

Post by drmike Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:41 pm

The funny thing about statins is they do lower cholesterol, but cholesterol has very little to do with heart problems. Cardio-vascular problems are due to inflammation which statin drugs have nothing to do with. Dr.s RX them because some salesman came in with some brochures and sold him on the "greatness of statins". My father went on statin drugs for a while and it dropped his total cholesterol level to 127. His doctor proudly proclaimed, during a physical, that he was healthy as a horse and would never suffer a heart attack. Two weeks later my father suffured a massive heart attack and almost died. He had to have stents put in.The Cardiologist said the "widow maker" was blocked along with three other coronary arteries,

My total cholesterol at last count was 125, HDL was 48, and triglycerides were 130. No problems, right? As most of you know I suffered a heart attack about 5 or 6 weeks ago in Bob Klugs apartment in Chapala. Again I repeat, what I've said over and over to my patients as I took them off statin drugs...cholesterol has very little to do with cardio-vascular health.

Last edited by drmike on Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
drmike
drmike
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : yes

http://smarthealthchoices.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by drmike Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:57 pm

Rolly, Ferret and Gringal,

Each of you are correct. A few years ago "high" cholesterol was lowered to the levels Rolly says. Why? Because the statins were beginning to hit the marketplace and the Pharmaceuticals had to sell drugs. They convinced doctors that cholesterol was the bad guy (wrong) and statins could lower it (correct), Cholesterol is an important part of your health, it is used by the body to make certain hormones, it is plugged into cell membranes to make the cells stronger...thus work better, amongst other things. Actually Rolly, the one part of cholesterol that doctors are now watching is VLDL (Very Low Density Lipoprotein) which may actually cause some, I say, some harm.

Now the newest changes are blood pressure ("normal" has now been lowered so more people can be placed on blood pressure lowering drugs), and "normal" blood sugar levels have been lowered to 90 or less to be considered normal, so of course more people can be placed on blood sugar lowering drugs.

If you believe all the crap that comes from the pharmaceutical companies and doctors...your a fool.
drmike
drmike
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : yes

http://smarthealthchoices.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:49 pm

LOVE that last line! I believe nothing...they're just ideas...until I have checked them out thoroughly for myself (and, most importantly, for the person I love).
If there is a natural way to achieve the intended goal, then that's the route we will always take.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by simpsca Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:09 am

I have been on every statin for high chloresteral despite a very low fat diet - no gallbladder. I've had problems with every one including the charlie horse pain in the legs plus abdominal pain so bad the GI doc thought it was a blockage. Stopped Crestor and the pain went away the next day.

I've been taking low dose niacin with meals (to prevent flushing) as recommended my my doctor. Chloresteral has not returned to former highs. I saw a friend for lunch yesterday and I'm sure he told me he was taking statins awhile ago. Yesterday he was talking about the terrible leg cramps he gets in the morning that are so severe they sometimes last for days.

Another thread on Fosamax - stopped that after my dentist said he had to be informed before any proceedures if I am taking it - causes weak jaw bone problems. No longer taking that either.
simpsca
simpsca
Events Reporter
Events Reporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down