INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HDTV QUALITY @ LAKESIDE

+14
MexicoPete
ComputerGuy
borderreiver
ferret
David
viajero
arbon
johninajijic
hockables
E-raq
Mainecoons
Zedinmexico
hound dog
Jim W
18 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

HDTV QUALITY @ LAKESIDE - Page 2 Empty Re: HDTV QUALITY @ LAKESIDE

Post by ComputerGuy Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:36 pm

I've never heard of this possibility... I will check with the guys on digitalhome.ca who are experts on this kind of thing. I do know that an improved signal strength here doesn't bring an improved HD picture. Once your signal is locked in, that's pretty much it in terms of "image quality".

ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by E-raq Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:38 pm

What is this obsession with seeing a clearer image? At my age that's what I'm trying to avoid, especially that magnifying mirror.
E-raq
E-raq
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by MexicoPete Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:30 pm

Jim you are wrong. Remember your digital basics. Either you receive the signal perfectly or you don't, and you begin to see digital breakup, and eventually no picture. The picture quality is the same be I up North which is farter away from the satellites or down here where we are closer. The concept was explained over and over again when we converted from analog to digital TV a few years back

Up north, I use a smaller Shaw Direct Dish and its often raining there giving me a much weaker signal than I often get here. And I get the same quality of picture as the signal strength gets weaker. Until such time as it breaks up. And with rain up north my signal strength is much weaker than I have lakeside on a sunny day (here 75 E dish) (up north 60 E dish) And the picture quality is the same

Remember that if you lower the quality of the picture that you transmit, that you take up less band width and you can therefore carry more channels per transponder (per satellite) etc. Also remember that if what you were suggesting were true, you could simply use say a 5 foot in diameter satellite dish and get a much stronger signal here than we do up north with our smaller 60 E satellite dishes.

As you know Shaw will be launching Anik G-1 toward the end of the year. With more bandwidth, they can add more channels and perhaps increase the quality of the signal they send up to the satellite.

Is DirecTV better? Does it send a higher quality signal out? I don't remember. But what I do know is the digital Telecable channel 777 (CNN HD) is distributed to my house with a higher quality signal than does Shaw.

Oh, and E-rag what's the obsession with a higher quality signal? It really doesn't matter on a smaller sized screen but now that the average size screen sold is getting larger and larger it can make a big difference expecially with a 60 inch average quality LCD, Etc.
MexicoPete
MexicoPete
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:45 pm

Thanks Pete. For me that pretty much explains it......for now. I just installed a Sharp 60 HD, also a Samsung 32 HD I brought up from MX last week. I base my opinion on the Golf HD channel. With Shaw in Mexico I have trouble visually finding the golfball as it lands on the green......same LCD HD TVs here with Direct TV......tracking shots visually is not an issue.
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Whenever I need it!

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:46 pm

E-raq wrote:What is this obsession with seeing a clearer image? At my age that's what I'm trying to avoid, especially that magnifying mirror.

LMAO RAQ.....good one.
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by MexicoPete Sun Aug 26, 2012 2:24 pm

And thank you Jim, you all just helped me. I wasn't sure how good the quality of DirecTV HD signal was. You answered that it seems much better. That further motivates me to bring down a DirecTV receiver with we on my next trip.

I have to pay for TV at my Seattle Condo, whether I am there or not. And the building used to only offer Comcast Cable. Now we have a second choice. We can choose DirecTV now if we wish. I am even more motivated to convert to DirecTV now than before. I shall simply bring down an extra receiver with me and using an exisiting 2.4 meter satellite dish, I will be able to get those Conus beam signals that I subscribe to down here (Not the local channels that are on spot beams)
MexicoPete
MexicoPete
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:47 pm

Let me know if you will be disposing of your Shaw equipment Pete.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:48 pm

CanuckBob wrote:Let me know if you will be disposing of your Shaw equipment Pete.

I have a Shaw SD receiver available........450 peso
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:49 pm

CanuckBob wrote:Let me know if you will be disposing of your Shaw equipment Pete.

IMO. the quality of anything except C Band is inferior, including my DISH Network or I need new glasses..

Bob, I may have a Shaw set up for you. Just need to find out the particulars.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sometimes

Back to top Go down

Post by E-raq Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:15 pm

MexicoPete wrote:Jim you are wrong. Remember your digital basics. Either you receive the signal perfectly or you don't, and you begin to see digital breakup, and eventually no picture. The picture quality is the same be I up North which is farter away from the satellites or down here where we are closer. The concept was explained over and over again when we converted from analog to digital TV a few years back

Up north, I use a smaller Shaw Direct Dish and its often raining there giving me a much weaker signal than I often get here. And I get the same quality of picture as the signal strength gets weaker. Until such time as it breaks up. And with rain up north my signal strength is much weaker than I have lakeside on a sunny day (here 75 E dish) (up north 60 E dish) And the picture quality is the same

Remember that if you lower the quality of the picture that you transmit, that you take up less band width and you can therefore carry more channels per transponder (per satellite) etc. Also remember that if what you were suggesting were true, you could simply use say a 5 foot in diameter satellite dish and get a much stronger signal here than we do up north with our smaller 60 E satellite dishes.

And "they" told me size didn't matter Pete.

As you know Shaw will be launching Anik G-1 toward the end of the year. With more bandwidth, they can add more channels and perhaps increase the quality of the signal they send up to the satellite.

Is DirecTV better? Does it send a higher quality signal out? I don't remember. But what I do know is the digital Telecable channel 777 (CNN HD) is distributed to my house with a higher quality signal than does Shaw.

Oh, and E-rag what's the obsession with a higher quality signal? It really doesn't matter on a smaller sized screen but now that the average size screen sold is getting larger and larger it can make a big difference expecially with a 60 inch average quality LCD, Etc.
E-raq
E-raq
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by MexicoPete Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:01 pm

NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, Bob. Beer Shaw Direct gives me my home town stations. And I have to pay for it anyway. We all share the costs of the cottage on the "Big Island" and one of my expenses is our Shaw Direct Account. None of the other relatives use satellite for TV at their primary home so, it makes sense for me to continue to pay for the Shaw Direct service. Neither Dish nor DirecTV gives me my home town networks. And even during bad weather along the shores of Lake Chapala. I get a signal from Shaw on a dish a small fraction of what is needed for DISH or DirecTV. And the signals always give out on DISH and DirecTV even with a 2.4 meter (8 foot) dish way before Shaw does if it ever goes out.

I gave up DISH USA because you get so few HD channels anymore now that they have changed their satellites And with DISH if you want good programming, you need a sat Dish pointed at a longitude of 110 degrees W, another at 119 W, and another at 129 degrees West and the signals are so weak from some of those birds that you don't get many of the channels. It sure is better than nothing but is is lacking much. That’s 3 satellite dishes

By far the better US option is DirecTV where the three satellites are so close together that you can use one satellite dish pointed at 101 degrees West to get all three satellites. You point at the center Satellite (101 W)and because the other two are only 1.8 degrees on either side of the center satellite, you can add two other LNBs one each one the other side of the center LNB and get signals from all 3 satellites with one satellite dish. It has a much better reputation with those lakesiders who use it than the US DISH product. Oh and DirecTV offers free streaming too.

Of the three systems

1.Shaw Direct offers the strongest signals on it’s two satellites, but it would appear that the third bird Anik G1 will not be viewable here (Sat dish size 36.5 by 26.5 inches)

2. DirecTV appears to be a close second especially because you need only one dish and most Conus feeds come in here (on one 8’ dish)

3. DISH appears to be a distant third because you need three satellites to get all of the programming you are paying for, but sadly only some of the programs are viewable this far south (Almost none of the HD channels are viewable from the HD bird at 129 degrees West (3 satellite dishes, 2 at 8 feet and one at 6 feet) [yes some folks try some smaller dishes but get even less signal reliability]

I hope you are doing well, Bob. I will be seeing my Doc in Seattle, this Friday.
MexicoPete
MexicoPete
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:52 pm

Pete - I'd just like to say thanks for the valuable info you provided. You are the techy here on this stuff.

I don't know if you know the answer to this. Do you believe that DirectTV in the States is better than DISH Network? I will have to get one or the other there.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sometimes

Back to top Go down

Post by SunFan Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:14 am

Peter

Just to clarify. Are you saying Shaw's third satellite, due to be put into service at the end of 2012, will not benefit us here at Lakeside?

Thanks

SunFan
SunFan
SunFan
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : None....no I'm joking.

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:09 am

SunFan wrote:Peter

Just to clarify. Are you saying Shaw's third satellite, due to be put into service at the end of 2012, will not benefit us here at Lakeside?

Thanks

SunFan

We don't know yet. An insider told one of us that it will but the map of
the sat says we won't. We will know when the first person down here
with a 3 LNB setup looks when they turn the third bird on for
us.

Z

Last edited by Zedinmexico on Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:30 am; edited 2 times in total

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:29 am

wheels wrote:Sky hd is very clear

They are all clear. We are talking about better
than each other. Unless you see Broadcast
HDTV and Sat HDTV and Cable HDTV side by
side you can't appreciate the differences
between HDTV pictures. They all look great
but some are greater than others.

Now understand just because it is digital that
doesn't make it better than analog. You can
have a great picture or a crappy picture or
sound even. One of the best pictures was
the old Analog HBO C band. No motion
artifacts, 480 lines of almost perfect picture.
Of course it took half the bandwidth of the
transponder and you could put 4 to 8 pictures
in the same bandwidth digital. John was right
pointing this out.

Now with digital they can control how much
bandwidth they give each signal. They might
pay more and get more bandwidth. ESPN is
always gives more bandwidth for example in
the digital world. Some crappy stations are
not given much bandwidth and are the first
stations to start pixelating on purpose. So
they could make much better pictures with
Shaw, DSS, US Dish, Mex Dish, and Mex Sky
but choose to make more money by putting
more stations up. Broadcast TV has more
bandwidth by regulation but some stations
take the bandwidth and divide it up and put
more pictures that is why you have the .1
and .2 stations under the main picture. Many
broadcast PBS stations do this NOB.

Anyhoo I can't tell the difference between DSS
and Dish NOB HDTV pictures. Good channel to
use to compare the best is ESPN or HBO both
are usually the best picture given. Some of this
is about opinion when you go above a certain
level. Shaw HD seems a little bit grainier than
Dish or DSS but on a 52" it is fine. I am happy
watching cub games on WGN HD but no way
do any of these digital sat systems compare
to a full bandwidth HD signal on over the air
broadcast. I have never compared Mex Dish
and Mex Sky pictures so I don't know about
them.

Digital Cable is virtually the same as Sat digital
and it depends once again on how they allocate
the bandwidth of the cable. Some cable systems
have two cables so twice the bandwidth available.
Now once again what they do with the bandwidth
is the issue with quality on all these digital systems.

Thanks for listening
Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:54 am

It seems we WON'T be getting anything from the the third satellite when it launches. The coverage mapand this blurb say the capability of 75 new channels will not extend anywhere but Canada and South America.
"Anik G1 is a new satellite scheduled to begin service late in early 2013. Its primary mission for Shaw Direct is to allow about 75 new HD channels to become available on a national (Canada) basis, as well as provide additional space for more Canadian local television channels and other services. This satellite will have a much reduced coverage area, so those in the southern U.S., Mexico and beyond will not be able to receive any services because of their location. Looking at the outer edge of coverage at the +48 dBw contour, one should assume that the new Triple Quad LNBF and stock 75-E Shaw Direct antennas should work reliably up to that point. Data is preliminary right now with regard to how far south into the U.S. Lower 48 this might work with a larger antenna. When we know some concrete information supported by live signal measurement after the launch of this new satellite, we will put it here, along with any recommendations, and have appropriate antennas for sale."http://www.telesat.com/satellite-fleet/anik/anik-g1http://www.global-cm.net/SD%20sat%20coverage.htmlhttp://www.telesat.com/satellite-fleet/anik/anik-g1
Bummer.HEREhttp://www.telesat.com/satellite-fleet/anik/anik-g1
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:02 am

HelperGuy wrote:It seems we WON'T be getting anything from the the third satellite when it launches. The coverage mapand this blurb say the capability of 75 new channels will not extend anywhere but Canada and South America.
"Anik G1 is a new satellite scheduled to begin service late in early 2013. Its primary mission for Shaw Direct is to allow about 75 new HD channels to become available on a national (Canada) basis, as well as provide additional space for more Canadian local television channels and other services. This satellite will have a much reduced coverage area, so those in the southern U.S., Mexico and beyond will not be able to receive any services because of their location. Looking at the outer edge of coverage at the +48 dBw contour, one should assume that the new Triple Quad LNBF and stock 75-E Shaw Direct antennas should work reliably up to that point. Data is preliminary right now with regard to how far south into the U.S. Lower 48 this might work with a larger antenna. When we know some concrete information supported by live signal measurement after the launch of this new satellite, we will put it here, along with any recommendations, and have appropriate antennas for sale."http://www.telesat.com/satellite-fleet/anik/anik-g1http://www.global-cm.net/SD%20sat%20coverage.htmlhttp://www.telesat.com/satellite-fleet/anik/anik-g1
Bummer.HEREhttp://www.telesat.com/satellite-fleet/anik/anik-g1

I completely agree but the Shaw insider says we will get it
only time will tell. I tend to think not like you but here is
one instance I would love to be wrong.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:13 am

Who or what is the Shaw insider? I'd much rather get the access than not, for sure, but that coverage map for G1 barely edges over the border between Canada and the U.S., while coverage from the existing birds spills well over into Mexico.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by MexicoPete Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:59 am

All I know is that those active on the satellite forums all say the signal of Anik G-1 will only reach a few hundred miles over the border south of Canada (into the US) yet soon after it was announced that this was going to happen my sat dealer on Vancouver Island had heard that we could get it in Mexico from his source at Shaw.

I tend to believe that if I were to check with him again that he would by now have heard that we won't be able to get it in Mexico. As all have posted, we won't know until the bird goes active.

But I'm guessing, No
MexicoPete
MexicoPete
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by MexicoPete Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:03 am

John: you asked which satellite system is best in the US. I would add cable to that comparison.

To me, what would be best would be that system that I could bundle with my phone system and internet for the least amount of money. But I don't watch that many channels.
MexicoPete
MexicoPete
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:30 pm

Pete, One thing I failed to mention about Direct TV vs. Shaw....the menu guide is much more complete. I get program info and release date on virtually all programs. drunk
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by MexicoPete Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:37 pm

I appreciate the input, Jim. As I write this, I am waiting for a call back from a DirecTV representative, so that I can change over from Comcast cable which I already gave up and sign up with DirecTV.

MexicoPete
MexicoPete
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:45 pm

No Problemo, I am interested in converting @ Lakeside to Direct TV.....Please let us know Dish requirements. I am paying shaw approx. $120.00 per month plus 3 % foreign transaction fee for credit Card. Paying approx. $50.00 per month in Arizona for similar programming, minus super channels.

Downside here no east/west network.
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:59 pm

Pete:

On your NOB Direct TV - please be extremely careful with their promos and so called "freebies" when signing up. It seems that when one gets the surprise down the road through a higher bill getting out of the promos and freebies seems to come with a price. We switched to Direct TV and supposedly received the NFL package free but when the free period ended, we had to pay a penalty for not wanting to continue with it. We said the heck with it and went back to Dish. At least when one threatens the customer loyalty department at Dish, they offer workable solutions. YMMV!

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:08 pm

CheenaGringo wrote:Pete:

On your NOB Direct TV - please be extremely careful with their promos and so called "freebies" when signing up. It seems that when one gets the surprise down the road through a higher bill getting out of the promos and freebies seems to come with a price. We switched to Direct TV and supposedly received the NFL package free but when the free period ended, we had to pay a penalty for not wanting to continue with it. We said the heck with it and went back to Dish. At least when one threatens the customer loyalty department at Dish, they offer workable solutions. YMMV!

CG is right on about this.....my son had to fight with them over NFL Package, they tried to collect on this, and finally cancelled bill....there are laws regarding automatic rollover on contracts, but it varies by state.
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:18 pm

The newer Shaw boxes (600 series) have an improved Guide, although not nearly what they promised us during the five years prior to its release. Now we have three screens of info instead of one; this would be good if they were full of info. Ha. You have to skip to the second screen to see the actors, and the third screen to see the date of release/first air date. And generally speaking, there is no more information available than there ever was about program content.

They were supposed to have included episode number and production dates for TV shows, and a serious block of information about the show or movie, along with much more detailed production information. Stuff that is easily available from the company the provides the guide info in the first place.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next