INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New and abusive ATM fees on the U.S. end

+7
Carry Bean
CheenaGringo
Ezzie
gringal
Trailrunner
Rolly
schraderone
11 posters

Go down

New and abusive ATM fees on the U.S. end Empty New and abusive ATM fees on the U.S. end

Post by schraderone Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:54 pm

Hello, I checked my U.S. bank online this morning and noticed that not only did my U.S. bank charge me the

normal, 2 dollar fee but also an extra $11.50 for a total of U.S $13.50! For drawing only 5,000 pesos. i e mailed

Capitalonebank and they replied saying that is is a new fee for international use of my ATM card!

Anyone else had this experience yet? Also wondering if anyone has thier SS check sent direct to a bank here?

Thanks for your input on this!

schraderone
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

New and abusive ATM fees on the U.S. end Empty Re: New and abusive ATM fees on the U.S. end

Post by Rolly Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:05 pm

I use a Bank of America card at Scotiabank with no charges.
I use a BanamexUSA card at Banamex with no charges.
Rolly
Rolly
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Weird

http://rollybrook.com

Back to top Go down

New and abusive ATM fees on the U.S. end Empty Re: New and abusive ATM fees on the U.S. end

Post by Trailrunner Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:29 pm

Use my B of A card at Scotiabank and Santandar ATMs with no charge.
SS goes electronically to B of A.

Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:54 pm

I use a Banamex ATM card. No charges.

The problem here seems to be getting money from a U.S. Bank.
Solution: Find a U.S. bank which is linked to a Mexican bank. There are several.
Open an account at the linked Mexican bank and use their ATM card for local withdrawals.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by Ezzie Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:00 pm

Any Canadian banks linked to Mexican banks? I have a TD account in Canada and pay $24.95/mo. for the priviledge of no International ATM fees at their end, but still get dinged 340 pesos per withdrawal from the ATM in Chapala (ScotiaBank).

Ezzie
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Aka "El Grillo"

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:07 pm

Isn't it Capital One that so many people have bragged about being "no fee" for years?

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Carry Bean Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:16 pm

I get my SS checks deposited to Bancomer. In 2 years there has never been a problem.

Carry Bean
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:18 pm

Ezzie wrote:Any Canadian banks linked to Mexican banks? I have a TD account in Canada and pay $24.95/mo. for the priviledge of no International ATM fees at their end, but still get dinged 340 pesos per withdrawal from the ATM in Chapala (ScotiaBank).

Yes, ScotiaBank in Canada is partners with Scotia Inverlat (sp) in Mexico. There are no fees at all if you use your Scotia ATM card at any of the Scotia ATMs in Mexico.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:33 pm

Carry Bean wrote:I get my SS checks deposited to Bancomer. In 2 years there has never been a problem.

Carry Bean, don't you have to do a special filing to prove you are alive to have your SS checks deposited out of country, annually?
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Whenever I need it!

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:53 pm

schraderone wrote:Hello, I checked my U.S. bank online this morning and noticed that not only did my U.S. bank charge me the

normal, 2 dollar fee but also an extra $11.50 for a total of U.S $13.50! For drawing only 5,000 pesos. i e mailed

Capitalonebank and they replied saying that is is a new fee for international use of my ATM card!

Anyone else had this experience yet? Also wondering if anyone has thier SS check sent direct to a bank here?

Thanks for your input on this!

Close the account and switch banks! I am with a small bank for the past 10 years.....no ATM fees. I highly recommend Intercam if you live here. I haven't used my US debit card in over a year SOB.

Join Intercam, fill out their app. Once approved, you can write checks daily or weekly up to $4000.00 USD, and receive pesos immediately.
No fee and competitive exchange rate.
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Rolly Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:11 pm

"Carry Bean, don't you have to do a special filing to prove you are alive to have your SS checks deposited out of country, annually?"

Yes,you do. SS will send a form to you each year that you must return within a certain time frame, or the checks will stop. I would not want to trust such an important letter to the Mexican post office.
Rolly
Rolly
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Weird

http://rollybrook.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Ezzie Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:25 pm

CanuckBob wrote:
Ezzie wrote:Any Canadian banks linked to Mexican banks? I have a TD account in Canada and pay $24.95/mo. for the priviledge of no International ATM fees at their end, but still get dinged 340 pesos per withdrawal from the ATM in Chapala (ScotiaBank).

Yes, ScotiaBank in Canada is partners with Scotia Inverlat (sp) in Mexico. There are no fees at all if you use your Scotia ATM card at any of the Scotia ATMs in Mexico.

Hmmm.... I checked at the ScotiaBank branch locally here and they said they are NOT connected to Scotia Inverlat and that there would still be ATM fees. What type of account do you have? Are you sure they are not charging you somehow??

Ezzie
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Aka "El Grillo"

Back to top Go down

Post by Carry Bean Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:48 pm

Jim W wrote:
Carry Bean wrote:I get my SS checks deposited to Bancomer. In 2 years there has never been a problem.

Carry Bean, don't you have to do a special filing to prove you are alive to have your SS checks deposited out of country, annually?

Yes, I do but it hasn't been a problem. I also applied for SS after I got here & there were no problems. I have an email contact if there are issues which so far I haven't needed to use other than when I first applied.

Carry Bean
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:57 pm

Hmm, I'm impressed. The first question the OP asked was if anyone else had this unwelcome experience, and all she got back was basically "my system is better than yours, and "change banks", and a bunch of other unrelated comments.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:11 pm

HelperGuy wrote:Hmm, I'm impressed. The first question the OP asked was if anyone else had this unwelcome experience, and all she got back was basically "my system is better than yours, and "change banks", and a bunch of other unrelated comments.

So what is your solution....my read was asking for input New and abusive ATM fees on the U.S. end 860299 I think they were all related comments ....unlike yours!

Last edited by Jim W on Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Flamingo Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:12 pm

We use USAA and they not only don't charge a fee, but also give us a refund on the fees charges by other banks. So to the OP, no my bank has not instituted any additional fees.
Flamingo
Flamingo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:54 pm

No, Jim... she was asking if anyone had the same problem. She got no feedback on that, only on the SS. Not helpful at all. And you all needed to be told that... everyone sounds like they came over from TOB.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Carry Bean Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:49 am

HelperGuy wrote:Hmm, I'm impressed. The first question the OP asked was if anyone else had this unwelcome experience, and all she got back was basically "my system is better than yours, and "change banks", and a bunch of other unrelated comments.

She also asked this:

"Also wondering if anyone has thier SS check sent direct to a bank here?"

Which I answered.

Carry Bean
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:53 am

And I did point that out in a follow-up post. I'm more impressed than ever... now those who didn't get her the first time are trying to cover their asses. Very astute.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down