INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Smoked Salmon

+8
CheenaGringo
ComputerGuy
E-raq
hound dog
RoofBob
Big Daddy Mexico
David
Trailrunner
12 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Smoked Salmon  - Page 2 Empty Re: Smoked Salmon

Post by CheenaGringo Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:58 pm

Helper Guy:

Just the fact that farm raised has to have color added should tell you something. I have often wondered if they were also adding flavor at the same time. Wild salmon and even natural stock of lake raised trout have natural color from what they feed on and cold water. I tend to agree with David after having read what farm raised fish of any kind are fed. For example, I have seen farm raised trout in Mexico and also line caught trout out of Lake Zirahuen and you can have the farm raised.

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by seisdedos Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:05 pm

David wrote: Smoking a frozen fish presents no problems.

Try keeping it lit.
seisdedos
seisdedos
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by David Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:09 pm

That IS a problem. I use extra heavy rolling papers.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Good

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:29 pm

lol
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hound dog Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:01 pm

Actually, David, I respect your opinion, therefore I have omitted my comment. You seem like a smart enough fellow so I´ve decided to close the subject unless you challenge me once again.
hound dog
hound dog
Bad Dawg
Bad Dawg

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:22 pm

HelperGuy wrote:Interesting. I knew a young farmer in Canada who had dinner with us once; brought the corn-on-the-cob to dinner with him. Said he would NEVER eat corn that was more than six minutes old.......

About right...here's how it goes...
The picker... of the sweet corn (my father) would have to run from the field to the house.
The cooker...(my mother) would have to have the water boiling and ready to go.
The eaters...(the rest of the family) would be in place at the table, with bibs attached; butter, salt, and pepper at hand, ready to devour.
It was a military precise operation that resulted in "foundering".

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:46 pm

hound dog wrote:Actually, David, I respect your opinion, therefore I have omitted my comment. You seem like a smart enough fellow so I´ve decided to close the subject unless you challenge me once again.

DAWG, you are TFF
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Whenever I need it!

Back to top Go down

Post by hound dog Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:01 pm

[It was a military precise operation that resulted in "foundering".[/quote]

Actually, "foundering" and "floundering" are both acceptable words meaning, basically, to muddle about. I used the verb "to flounder" as what I considered a more or less amusingly clever word game relating to fish in the context of the thread under discussion but then I shouldn´t have to explain this to you had you had the requisite training in the language.

Incidentally, the appropriate response should have been "...a militarily precise operation...."

I don´t even get paid for this.
hound dog
hound dog
Bad Dawg
Bad Dawg

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:45 am

hound dog wrote:[It was a military precise operation that resulted in "foundering".

Actually, "foundering" and "floundering" are both acceptable words meaning, basically, to muddle about. I used the verb "to flounder" as what I considered a more or less amusingly clever word game relating to fish in the context of the thread under discussion but then I shouldn´t have to explain this to you had you had the requisite training in the language.

Incidentally, the appropriate response should have been "...a militarily precise operation...."

I don´t even get paid for this.[/quote]
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

How about a "precise military operation"...so precise, in fact, that I want it to be an adjectival description of the operation rather than an adverbial description of the action.

Now "foundering" in the context of my statement is an analagous comparison to the overeating of corn by horses.
...something I didn't think I would have to explain to a "country boy". Granted, after the feasting of "copious" (one of your favorite words) amount of the "corn on the cob", there was a fair amount of "floundering"....or was that the "corn" from the jug? Can't remember now. drunk

Finally, what constitutes the "requisite training in language"?...probably different in Bama then elsewhere.

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:53 am

Foundering was the perfect word. I got it immediately.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by E-raq Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:11 am

Now that we're on to corn. My father who actually was a military officer during WW2 was equally picky about corn. He went to a local field, picked it himself, not sure what he could tell by looking at it, however he hand selected his corn, immediately drove home at high speed and minutes later it was dropped into a massive pot of boiling water with some sugar in it. Not salt.

Meanwhile the 3 inch thick steak, also hand picked , had been marinating all afternoon. My Dad maintained very close relationships with his butchers. They all became drinking buddies. The barbeque had been lit and was waiting its owners return.

The instant he walked in the door, everyone shucked the corn, the steak hit the barbeque and about 15 or 20 minutes later we had thinly sliced, on the bias, rare steaks and the best corn I've ever tasted. Lotsa salted butter, plus salt and pepper.
E-raq
E-raq
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by E-raq Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:46 am

Just heard back from Lox Lady. Frozen is just fine thank you very much. No wonder she won't share her recipe.
E-raq
E-raq
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hound dog Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:28 am

Finally, what constitutes the "requisite training in language"?...probably different in Bama then elsewhere.[/quote]

In Alabama when Dawg was a boy in the 1950s, language interpretations were a necessity for maintaining an air of civility in a culture that had depended on human slavery for its economic well-being for a century or so and had instituted a hundred years more or less of racial segregation and subjugation of Americans of African heritage following a humiliating defeat in the civil war by the Yankee pigs. Therefore, we, being pious Christians constantly praising the nebulous concept of The Lord needed to rationalize all of this untoward behavior with language skills encouraging indirect references if you get my drift. Therefore, when an Alabamian of any race asks "How you doin´" you should note that he or she really doesn´t give a sh*t how you are doing so no response is required nor expected nor, for that matter, even desired.
hound dog
hound dog
Bad Dawg
Bad Dawg

Back to top Go down

Post by David Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:01 pm

E-raq wrote:Just heard back from Lox Lady. Frozen is just fine thank you very much. No wonder she won't share her recipe.

That's great. The Ajijic Meat Center my still have some sides from BC, check it out. Otherwise, Estaban at La Playa or Pacifico will have what you need. Let me know how it turns out! Happy Holidays!
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by E-raq Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:25 pm

David wrote:
E-raq wrote:Just heard back from Lox Lady. Frozen is just fine thank you very much. No wonder she won't share her recipe.

That's great. The Ajijic Meat Center my still have some sides from BC, check it out. Otherwise, Estaban at La Playa or Pacifico will have what you need. Let me know how it turns out! Happy Holidays!

Thanks David, I'm delivering them on tuesday. The deal this year since we needed more than usual was this. Either you give me the recipe, or I supply the salmon. She chose box #2.

Best of the season to you and yours as well.
E-raq
E-raq
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by David Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:29 pm

Muy bien!
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:49 pm

The picker... of the sweet corn (my father) would have to run from the field to the house.
The eaters...(the rest of the family) would be in place at the table, with bibs attached; butter, salt, and pepper at hand, ready to devour.
It was a military precise operation that resulted in "foundering".

Now that's what I call dedication. A little corny, maybe.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hound dog Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:07 pm

[quote="slainte39"]
HelperGuy wrote:Interesting. I knew a young farmer in Canada who had dinner with us once; brought the corn-on-the-cob to dinner with him. Said he would NEVER eat corn that was more than six minutes old.......

You see what Dawg has missed. Dawg´s corn came from the Piggly Wiggly and none of us had any notion as to where or when it was picked.

The cooker at our house was a 45 year old black woman named Manty Mae and she boiled the water at her pace,

Bibs?

Yankees should not be allowed to consume corn on the cob.
hound dog
hound dog
Bad Dawg
Bad Dawg

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:12 pm

hound dog wrote:
Yankees should not be allowed to consume corn on the cob.

It was not God's intention as it is heresy, but they,we,me, are a bunch of sneaky bastards.....known as "carpetbaggers", and thus, the spoils of reconstruction.

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hound dog Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:03 pm

You're OK in my book, slainte. You are hereby appointed an honarary Southerner.
hound dog
hound dog
Bad Dawg
Bad Dawg

Back to top Go down

Post by joec Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:11 pm

hound dog quote - The cooker at our house was a 45 year old black woman named Manty Mae and she boiled the water at her pace,"

So, you employed slaves at your house???

joec
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sometimes

Back to top Go down

Post by E-raq Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:14 am

joec wrote:hound dog quote - The cooker at our house was a 45 year old black woman named Manty Mae and she boiled the water at her pace,"

Lawd ha mercy, what can one even say about this? My family employed Miz Celestine from B.G. and there never has been slavery in Canada. In fact we were more slaves to Miz Celestine for 35 years, who was one of those entitled people.
E-raq
E-raq
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by David Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:15 am

Hoo boy!
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:21 am

joec wrote:hound dog quote - The cooker at our house was a 45 year old black woman named Manty Mae and she boiled the water at her pace,"

That's right, because as we all know, every black person employed by a family is a slave.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:44 am

The Obama's employ some white people...don't they?? LOL

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:47 am

E-raq wrote:

Lawd ha mercy, what can one even say about this? My family employed Miz Celestine from B.G. and there never has been slavery in Canada. In fact we were more slaves to Miz Celestine for 35 years, who was one of those entitled people.

Was she of a certain race or what made her entitled?

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next