INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Old Posada...

+8
slainte39
gringal
Trailrunner
ComputerGuy
Zedinmexico
CheenaGringo
joec
GBATRUCKS
12 posters

Go down

Old Posada... Empty Old Posada...

Post by GBATRUCKS Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:53 am

So...stopped by there for a mid-afternoon snack yesterday, ordered the queso fundido...was served a skillet with a glob of melted yellow stuff, some kind of cheddar??..no chorizo, peppers, nothin..just this glob that we had to tip so the oil would run off. Go Google & you'll see what a real fundido is. Anyway, hadn't eaten there in many moons. Anybody else had a similar experience there?
Old Posada... 18717
GBATRUCKS
GBATRUCKS
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Black Adder sarcasm

Back to top Go down

Old Posada... Empty Re: Old Posada...

Post by joec Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:16 pm

Would not even consider eating there the way that place looks. Spend your money in a good restaurant.

joec
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sometimes

Back to top Go down

Post by GBATRUCKS Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:36 pm

joec wrote:Would not even consider eating there the way that place looks. Spend your money in a good restaurant.

It used to be pretty good when we first moved here about 8 years ago...probably the last time we ate there was 3 years ago & as I recall it was average...now it sucks...at least the fundido. Are they under new management?..anyone know?
GBATRUCKS
GBATRUCKS
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:29 pm

We too would go to the Old Posada but in 2010, we went there to have a drink and maybe something to eat. Took one look and headed back out the door since the place looked a wreck. It was that evening that we discovered Yves and have never looked back.

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:17 am

Yep CG same thing happened to us. Yves it is.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:25 am

The Posada has had numerous new managers in the last 10 years, but the same owner. It used to be the hot spot in town.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:30 am

La Posada is a beautiful spot, graceful, and elegant even. The food, however, is "old fashioned". There are a lot of people here who like "old fashioned" food tho, so I imagine they keep the place alive.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:30 am

Trailrunner wrote:La Posada is a beautiful spot, graceful, and elegant even. The food, however, is "old fashioned". There are a lot of people here who like "old fashioned" food tho, so I imagine they keep the place alive.

How about a little more definition here? As far as I'm concerned, there's "good food" "mediocre food" and "lousy food".
Beer

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:56 am

What's old fashioned food? Think about it. It probably means something different to all people, just like good, bad, and mediocre food does.

Are you drinking already??? Very Happy
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by GBATRUCKS Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:10 am

joec wrote:Would not even consider eating there the way that place looks. Spend your money in a good restaurant.

Thanks for the unsolicited advise. Their seems to be more interest in style than in substance here. FYI, we didn't go inside, we ate out front, enjoying the view. I've found the best places are off the beaten path, not particularly stylish, no brass & ferns....my favorite "discovery" was 40 years ago on a business trip to Ft. Worth. Friends took us down deep in the weeds by the old stock yards at night...an area no stranger in his right mind would want to go. We came to this building that looked like a WW II barracks building in serious need of a paint job. My only clue that this might be more than it appears was the nice cars parked in the lot. It was called Joe T. Garcia's and has been on my list of favorites ever since.
See: http://www.google.com.mx/#hl=en&sugexp=les%3B&gs_rn=3&gs_ri=psy-ab&cp=6&gs_id=i&xhr=t&q=joe+t+garcia's&es_nrs=true&pf=p&tbo=d&output=search&sclient=psy-ab&oq=joe+t+&gs_l=&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&bvm=bv.42553238,d.b2I&fp=1bbdd438da03471f&biw=1011&bih=540
GBATRUCKS
GBATRUCKS
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:29 am

"Ate out front"...the old Posada has tables out front (outside) with a view? Do you mean lake view? Things must have changed down there since I was last there.

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosa Venus Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:52 am

slainte39 wrote:...the old Posada has tables out front (outside) with a view? Do you mean lake view?

Yes. They've been putting tables out front for a long time. Perfect place to sit and have a drink, enjoy the view and location, and watch the world walk by. It's never occured to me to order food.
Rosa Venus
Rosa Venus
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : The funny kind

Back to top Go down

Post by joec Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:25 am

Rosa Venus wrote:
slainte39 wrote:...the old Posada has tables out front (outside) with a view? Do you mean lake view?

Yes. They've been putting tables out front for a long time. Perfect place to sit and have a drink, enjoy the view and location, and watch the world walk by. It's never occured to me to order food.

You can go next door to YVES restaurant and have great food and a wonderful salad bar along with better views from a higher vantage point, whether on the first or second floor.

joec
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:09 pm

joec wrote:
Rosa Venus wrote:

You can go next door to YVES restaurant and have great food and a wonderful salad bar along with better views from a higher vantage point, whether on the first or second floor.

I don't think Yves serves on the second floor anymore or at least I have never seen it open in recent history.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:12 pm

Joe........there used to be a second floor, but not since Yves took it over. Now it's just the ground floor.
And yes, there are places out front of the Old Posada. Mostly people just drinking out there on the weekends. It has it's charm; what it needs is a good cook.

Hey there, Trailrunner, that's iced tea in the glass at this hour. What we need is a smiley eating with pleasure (or not) rather that drinking.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:38 pm

Gringal, you made me obsess about this question while running the doggie today.

Old fashioned food: lotsa brown stuff, heavy on the meat, brown gravy, high fat food, fried food, dead food, grey vegetables, soggy vegetables, frozen vegetables, lots of breading, brown sludge, etc.

As opposed to: bright and vibrantly colorful food, unique tastes, lots of herbs and spices, little to no meat, crispy textures, fresh and crunchy vegetables, light food, live food.

Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by espíritu del lago Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:00 pm

Specially a coffee smiley.
espíritu del lago
espíritu del lago
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sarcastic

Back to top Go down

Post by joec Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:10 pm

Anyone who eats that "old fashioned food" must be dead by now or have one foot in the grave.

joec
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:28 pm

John and Trailrunner: You gave me a good laugh there. I know "old fashioned food" as described was never served when I was growing up. A lot of it is about what background your parents had, and the place you came from.
Most Californians, not matter what anyone thinks of them in general, had lots of variety in their menus. Lots of ethnic restaurants, plus fruits and vegetables year around. A lot like........uh......right here.

On the other hand, if you were stuck in Cincinnati.........you'd be lucky to find a bran muffin anywhere in the good old days, let alone a fresh salad. I discovered that when I was stuck there for a "week one day". Shocking.

But then, consider how long the threads get on the "best hamburger"? Is hamburger old fashioned food, or what??? I remember when Bob's Big Boy burgers were the ultimate, and nothing much has changed since then.
(Except that they caught them serving horse meat and things got a little sticky.)

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hound dog Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:44 am

[quote="Trailrunner"]Gringal, you made me obsess about this question while running the doggie today.

Old fashioned food: lotsa brown stuff, heavy on the meat, brown gravy, high fat food, fried food, dead food, grey vegetables, soggy vegetables, frozen vegetables, lots of breading, brown sludge, etc.

As opposed to: bright and vibrantly colorful food, unique tastes, lots of herbs and spices, little to no meat, crispy textures, fresh and crunchy vegetables, light food, live food.

[/quote]

Dawg was thinking of writing the definitive southern U.S. cookbook. An easy task and very short. I have actually finished it. "Take anything that moves and fry it until it´s dry. Take anything that grows and boil it until it´s soggy."

While growing up in Alabama, I hated brussels sprouts, green beans (called string beans in those days with good reason) and brocolli. These vegetables were always boiled to the point of soggy tastelessness. Then I had the good fortune to have married a French woman and learned about cooking these vegetables al dente and, in the case of green beans and brussels sprouts, to then saute them in butter until caramalized. With green beans, the saute part includes the addition of garlic, pine nuts or slivered almonds and, once the beans, garlic and nuts are properly browned, the dish is sprinkled with chopped parsley. Opened my eyes big time. I now love these veggies.
hound dog
hound dog
Bad Dawg
Bad Dawg

Back to top Go down

Post by casi nada Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:51 pm

For sale: One book, never opened, called "How to Use the Quote Function for Dummies". Call 555-555-WHATTHEFUCK

casi nada
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by joec Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:45 pm

casi nada wrote:For sale: One book, never opened, called "How to Use the Quote Function for Dummies". Call 555-555-WHATTHEFUCK

hey POTTY MOUTH. This is the "Food & Drink" section, NOT Octagon.

joec
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:26 am

Walked past Old Posada coming from Yves on Sat night and they had a good
crowd at Old Posada. Maybe just maybe things have changed. Time will tell.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down