INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Viva Mexico Tia Lupita in SJC

+6
silas
bobnliz
simpsca
CanuckBob
David
kittythegm
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Viva Mexico Tia Lupita in SJC Empty Viva Mexico Tia Lupita in SJC

Post by Guest Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:10 pm

One of my long time favorites if you want real Mexican food. They have Chiles Nogales year round and they are delicious. Augustin, the owner speaks fluent English and is probably the most repsected man in SJC, as he has done so much for so many years to help this relatively poor community.

Another favorite is Cinco Potrillos in Ixtlauachan, open seven days a week. Try their padrillas. I spelled it wrong, I think. It is what Americans would call fajitas if it were served in a Mexican restaurant in the States. Pancho, the owner, is a wonderful host. Sometimes, he will even offer to sing for you. My suggestion: Pay him not to sing.

Go to neither of these places if you enjoy flaunting your wealth and being a big spender, as you will be disappointed at their low prices and great food. Zoey

Back to top Go down

Viva Mexico Tia Lupita in SJC Empty Re: Viva Mexico Tia Lupita in SJC

Post by kittythegm Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:15 pm

Please excuse my inexperience - but SJC or Ixtlauachan? And how come neither of these restaurants are on the restaurant list I found on that chapala something forum that I cannot find again?
kittythegm
kittythegm

Back to top Go down

Post by David Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:08 pm

Kitty, Viva Mexico is in San Juan Cosala (SJC), Los Cinco Potrillos is in Ixtlahuacan. As to why they're not on the list on crapola.com is that John, the author, bigot, and self-appointed restaurant critic doesn't eat Mexican food, in fact he says can't stand it and that it's all "crap." So, there are no true local (mexican) restaurants on his list and that includes(or if you will leaves out) the seafood places in Chapala and Piedra Barranada, molcajete places, barbacoa, taco, birria or torta........ I could go on. Needless to say that guy's list is for people with no sense of culinary adventure. I posted a link to a blog on local food in the thread on 'what it's really like to live here.'
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Good

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:48 pm

kittythegm wrote:Please excuse my inexperience - but SJC or Ixtlauachan? And how come neither of these restaurants are on the restaurant list I found on that chapala something forum that I cannot find again?

Kitty, funny post. I think David's response to you says it all. The list that you have is from an elitist, ornery old gringo and should be taken with a grain of salt. Zoey.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:49 pm

David wrote:Kitty, Viva Mexico is in San Juan Cosala (SJC), Los Cinco Potrillos is in Ixtlahuacan. As to why they're not on the list on crapola.com is that John, the author, bigot, and self-appointed restaurant critic doesn't eat Mexican food, in fact he says can't stand it and that it's all "crap." So, there are no true local (mexican) restaurants on his list and that includes(or if you will leaves out) the seafood places in Chapala and Piedra Barranada, molcajete places, barbacoa, taco, birria or torta........ I could go on. Needless to say that guy's list is for people with no sense of culinary adventure. I posted a link to a blog on local food in the thread on 'what it's really like to live here.'

David, agree 100% with you. Please don't make me like you again. Zoey

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:03 pm

Hey, I made a link at the top of the forum to that restuarant blog. Click on Restuarant Review at the top beside weather.

Bob
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by simpsca Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:38 pm

I live in San Juan Cosala and Viva Mexico on Porfirio Diaz - 2 blocks west of the plaza is the best kept secret lakeside. Prices are really good and he has specials like - shrimp chipotle (not too spicy), usually has bass prepared in banana leaves if he can find the bass, the best chiles en Nogada, and his molcajetes are to die for.
simpsca
simpsca
Events Reporter
Events Reporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:25 pm

simpsca wrote:I live in San Juan Cosala and Viva Mexico on Porfirio Diaz - 2 blocks west of the plaza is the best kept secret lakeside. Prices are really good and he has specials like - shrimp chipotle (not too spicy), usually has bass prepared in banana leaves if he can find the bass, the best chiles en Nogada, and his molcajetes are to die for.

Thanks for your response. Augustin, as a wonderful human being, and his restaurant, with wonderful food and reasonable prices is no longer a secret and I only hope that we can do what we can to increase his business. This man is amazing. Zoey

Back to top Go down

Post by bobnliz Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:03 pm

Zoey wrote:One of my long time favorites if you want real Mexican food. They have Chiles Nogales year round and they are delicious. Augustin, the owner speaks fluent English and is probably the most repsected man in SJC, as he has done so much for so many years to help this relatively poor community.

Another favorite is Cinco Potrillos in Ixtlauachan, open seven days a week. Try their padrillas. I spelled it wrong, I think. It is what Americans would call fajitas if it were served in a Mexican restaurant in the States. Pancho, the owner, is a wonderful host. Sometimes, he will even offer to sing for you. My suggestion: Pay him not to sing.

Go to neither of these places if you enjoy flaunting your wealth and being a big spender, as you will be disappointed at their low prices and great food. Zoey

Zoey ~ Your spelling wasn't too far off. That dish is called a "parilla", means "grill", as in a platter of grilled meats. Bob and I had a parilla at a restaurant in Xalapa. I think they had a bit of everything they served on that platter! Lizzy
bobnliz
bobnliz
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : wry ans dry

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:13 pm

simpsca wrote:I live in San Juan Cosala and Viva Mexico on Porfirio Diaz - 2 blocks west of the plaza is the best kept secret lakeside. Prices are really good and he has specials like - shrimp chipotle (not too spicy), usually has bass prepared in banana leaves if he can find the bass, the best chiles en Nogada, and his molcajetes are to die for.

Agree with you 100% and Augustin is a wonderful human being. During the SJC disaster a couple of years ago, his restaurant served over 2,000 meals free to folks helping with the cleanup. I happened to be there one day when he sponsored a reading day and over 150 kids showed up to read and were rewarded with drinks and snacks and a book. This guy is top drawer and so is his food. Only place I know that serves Chiles Noglaes year round, and boy are they good. Did not know he had molcajetes. I will try them next time. Thanks, Zoey

Back to top Go down

Post by silas Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:21 pm

Finally made it there for lunch today. Thanks, all, for the recommendations. Enjoyed it very much and already looking forward to going back.

silas

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:15 pm

Welcome aboard, silas. Hope you got to meet Augustin. Great man and great food. Thanks for your post. Zoey

Back to top Go down

Post by silas Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:55 pm

Thanks. We did not get to meet Augustin - will be going back very soon and will make it a point to do so. What a pleasure to eat such excellent food at a very reasonable price. Silas

silas

Back to top Go down

Post by simpsca Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:34 pm

The shrimp chipotle is one of my new favorite dishes. He also had chicken breast with rose petal sauce. - womderful.
simpsca
simpsca
Events Reporter
Events Reporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Abuelo Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:55 am

Where exactly is Tia Lupita in SJC? We eat at Los Cinco Potrillos a lot cause it's close to us but like to try other good Mexican restaurants.
Abuelo
Abuelo

Back to top Go down

Post by simpsca Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:16 am

Viva Mexico is on Porfirio Diaz about two blocks west of the plaza. It's in the town of SJC just past the Raquet Club. After you pass the Raquet Club look for a nursery on the left with lots of colorful plants outside. At the end of that block is a purple house on the left. Make a left here on Cardinale (the church is on your right as you go downhill). Make your first right onto Porfirio Diaz, pass the church and the town plaza on the right (Dulce Tentaciones is across from the plaza) another good take out place for empanadas - tuna and chicken 15 pesos and great deserts.

Anyway for Viva Mexico go 1 1/2 blocks past the plaza and it's on the right with a big sign hanging out front - yellow gold colored building. They are closed Thursdays - open every other day from around 12:30 to around 9 or 10pm.
simpsca
simpsca
Events Reporter
Events Reporter

Back to top Go down

Post by simpsca Sun May 02, 2010 5:05 pm

Augustine is making a new special at Tia Lupita's. It's Tarascan soup - really good. It's made with a delicious tomato soup type base. It has a chunk of panela cheese, fried tortilla strips and a piece of avocado. It's a meal!
simpsca
simpsca
Events Reporter
Events Reporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 03, 2010 3:24 pm

simpsca wrote:Augustine is making a new special at Tia Lupita's. It's Tarascan soup - really good. It's made with a delicious tomato soup type base. It has a chunk of panela cheese, fried tortilla strips and a piece of avocado. It's a meal!

Sounds wonderful, but I love his Chiles Nogales, which he has year round, unlike any other restaurant. Perhaps, next time Tarascan soup and Chiles Nogales. I think I can handle it, especially at his prices. Thanks for your good input. Zoey

Back to top Go down

Post by David Mon May 03, 2010 3:59 pm

My guess is the dish is "Chiles en Nogada," or Chiles in Walnut sauce. That is unless he has special recipe from Nogales.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by sparks Mon May 03, 2010 4:37 pm

Zoey wrote:
Sounds wonderful, but I love his Chiles Nogales, which he has year round, unlike any other restaurant. Perhaps, next time Tarascan soup and Chiles Nogales. I think I can handle it, especially at his prices. Thanks for your good input. Zoey

They had a Chiles en Nogada special a few months ago and that was all that was on the menu (ie:no menu). I did think 80 pesos was a little steep for only one chili but it was good. They did have a few free tequila shots that night. Not enough food and too much drink makes you wobble
sparks
sparks
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : The joke's on me

http://sparksmex.blogspot.mx/

Back to top Go down

Post by bobnliz Mon May 03, 2010 7:55 pm

Chiles en Nogada is labor intensive so usually they are one of the pricier items on the menu. Traditionally, they are served around Dia de Independencia as a special treat. The green chile poblano, white nogada sauce and red pomegranate seeds it is garnished with represent the colors of the flag. Lizzy
bobnliz
bobnliz
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : wry ans dry

Back to top Go down

Post by David Mon May 03, 2010 8:38 pm

Yup, and created by Nuns!
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by silas Tue May 04, 2010 7:27 am

I believe the Chiles en Nogada shown on the menu were stuffed with beef. Are they ever stuffed with cheese? I've never had Nogada sauce and would like to try it but don't eat beef (or any meat). Wonder if I could "special order" something along the lines of Chiles Rellenos but with a Nogada sauce?? Would appreciate some input on this. Thanks. Silas

silas

Back to top Go down

Post by simpsca Tue May 04, 2010 8:11 am

Tia Lupitas has a chili stuffed with cheese on the menu - different name - it's good also.
simpsca
simpsca
Events Reporter
Events Reporter

Back to top Go down

Post by silas Tue May 04, 2010 8:18 am

I think that's their chili rellenos - light tomato/cream sauce. I've had it and it's great - but I was hoping to try the Nogada sauce but without a beef-stuffed chili, and without embarrassing myself trying to order something which is not possible for them to make. . .

silas

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next