INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Something to learn about artificial hip replacement...

4 posters

Go down

Something to learn about artificial hip replacement... Empty Something to learn about artificial hip replacement...

Post by ferret Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:06 pm

A good article and the comments are interesting too.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/health-and-fitness/health/the-nightmare-of-margaret-wentes-miracle-artificial-hips/article9235946/

ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Something to learn about artificial hip replacement... Empty Re: Something to learn about artificial hip replacement...

Post by joec Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:50 am

ferret wrote:A good article and the comments are interesting too.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/health-and-fitness/health/the-nightmare-of-margaret-wentes-miracle-artificial-hips/article9235946/

Good article. Very interesting. Certainly will make people ask what type and manufacturer the person will get before having it done. Looks like lots of Class Action suits, but who gets rich? The Lawyers!

I was in to see my Orthopedic surgeon last week, Dr. Alvaro Gonzalez Uzura frpm Mascaras Clinic.

Just happened to ask him about the relatively new "Ceramic" hip replacement they've been using. He said have you heard of the squeaky hip? I said "no". When you have this installed and you walk, your hip squeaks. Worse than that, he won't install them as the "Ceramic" breaks and it's a "disaster".

I have had a Titanium hip for 10 years now. I'm not very active so I don't think it's worn much. If you're active, the hip will not last as long and it will have to be redone. I'm sure Osteopenia and Osteoporosis will enter into it too.

joec
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sometimes

Back to top Go down

Something to learn about artificial hip replacement... Empty Re: Something to learn about artificial hip replacement...

Post by Dr. Sam Thelin Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:49 pm

This is an example of a problem with no perfect solution, as is common in medicine. After factoring out cost, there is is the big question of managing the risks. For example, in a 75-year-old patient, would it be more risk to have some metallosis (what is a realistic outcome or risk from metallosis over a 25 year period), or would it be more risk for surgery to replace the device in 10 or 15 years when the patient has 85 or 90 years of age? What is the risk of not doing surgery in 10 or 15 years to replace a worn device (thrombosis, etc. from lack of activity)?

Defensive medicine usually dominates - that which has less legal risk at the moment. What is actually in the best interest of the patient requieres several things. An intelligent and educated patient that is informed of the problem and the options, and an honest doctor. Then instead of asking the doctor the best option, ask what the doctor would want if he or she was the patient. Then, allow the patient to make their own informed decision.

Of course, not all patients can or want to be part of their own health care decisions.

[/quote]

Good article. Very interesting. Certainly will make people ask what type and manufacturer the person will get before having it done. Looks like lots of Class Action suits, but who gets rich? The Lawyers!

I was in to see my Orthopedic surgeon last week, Dr. Alvaro Gonzalez Uzura frpm Mascaras Clinic.

Just happened to ask him about the relatively new "Ceramic" hip replacement they've been using. He said have you heard of the squeaky hip? I said "no". When you have this installed and you walk, your hip squeaks. Worse than that, he won't install them as the "Ceramic" breaks and it's a "disaster".

I have had a Titanium hip for 10 years now. I'm not very active so I don't think it's worn much. If you're active, the hip will not last as long and it will have to be redone. I'm sure Osteopenia and Osteoporosis will enter into it too.[/quote]

Dr. Sam Thelin
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by joec Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:15 pm

Dr. Sam Thelin wrote:This is an example of a problem with no perfect solution, as is common in medicine. After factoring out cost, there is is the big question of managing the risks. For example, in a 75-year-old patient, would it be more risk to have some metallosis (what is a realistic outcome or risk from metallosis over a 25 year period), or would it be more risk for surgery to replace the device in 10 or 15 years when the patient has 85 or 90 years of age? What is the risk of not doing surgery in 10 or 15 years to replace a worn device (thrombosis, etc. from lack of activity)?

Defensive medicine usually dominates - that which has less legal risk at the moment. What is actually in the best interest of the patient requieres several things. An intelligent and educated patient that is informed of the problem and the options, and an honest doctor. Then instead of asking the doctor the best option, ask what the doctor would want if he or she was the patient. Then, allow the patient to make their own informed decision.

Of course, not all patients can or want to be part of their own health care decisions.

I have had a Titanium hip for 10 years now. I'm not very active so I don't think it's worn much. If you're active, the hip will not last as long and it will have to be redone. I'm sure Osteopenia and Osteoporosis will enter into it too.[/quote][/quote]

Dr. Sam - If you are responding to my post, I don't see how your answer is relative. I was 59 when I had my hip replacement with Titanium. I am 69 now and feel OK without pain. I'm inactive, no sports and little walking. I expect my hip to last another 5 + years. When I need another hip replacement, I will probably have to get one.

Do you think it's risky at 75 years old? Are you saying I might have or be at risk for metallosis from a Titanium hip that has been installed for years in hundreds of thousands of patients? It seems to me that it's these newer designed hips that are crap.

joec
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Sam Thelin Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:41 pm

No, it was not specific to you, just to the thread.

Age depends on the person. It is always a risk, but much less at 75 than at 85.

Titanium is a great metal - feels like aluminum, but can cut glass. It has been used so much because of both strength and low rejection factor. I think there has been a lot of work done trying to make a harder (thus longer-lasting) device that is accepted by the body, stable, and does not have galvanic issues within the same device, but titanium is not easy to beat. There have been great results with ceramic "alloys" in industrial applications, but mostly with aluminum which cannot be used in the body. I think in 5 years we might see some better zirconium metal alloys. Time will tell.

Dr. Sam Thelin
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by espíritu del lago Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:48 pm

http://blog.lawinfo.com/2013/03/08/frequently-asked-questions-about-stryker-rejuvenate-and-abg-ii-hip-implants/
espíritu del lago
espíritu del lago
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sarcastic

Back to top Go down

Post by joec Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:42 pm

espíritu del lago wrote:http://blog.lawinfo.com/2013/03/08/frequently-asked-questions-about-stryker-rejuvenate-and-abg-ii-hip-implants/

No Dr in their right mind would use a Cobalt and Chromium Implant and Ceramic Disc implants are far worse.

Nice ad for the get rich quick sue happy Lawyers. Wouldn't it be so much easier to have a new SAFE implant installed?

joec
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by espíritu del lago Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:26 pm

Nice ad for the get rich quick sue happy Lawyers. Wouldn't it be so much easier to have a new SAFE implant installed?

Guess that depends if you have one and have had complications. If you had one of these implants prior to the SAFE ones,you might feel differently.
espíritu del lago
espíritu del lago
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sarcastic

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down