INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Jiffy Pop Popcorn

+13
mattoleriver
ComputerGuy
Smartalex
MyHomeSweetHome
Splashingcolor
lunateak
seisdedos
Lady Otter Latté
Rosa Venus
Flamingo
Eldergeek
Trailrunner
ferret
17 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Jiffy Pop Popcorn - Page 2 Empty Re: Jiffy Pop Popcorn

Post by Lady Otter Latté Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:23 am

Air popping?!? Surely, you jest! No, no, no. Bleh. Why not just buy a bag of packing peanuts and chew on them. There is just about as much flavor.
Thumbs down

Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:39 am

hahaha Wait, what's that sstthhwrrrupping noise? ?? AH! Coronary arteries shutting down. Oh yeah. lol
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:51 am

What was it someone said here a while back? Oh yeah:
I´m here for a good time not for a long time.

Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Biting

Back to top Go down

Post by lunateak Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:55 am

Lady Otter Latté wrote:Rosa Venus is right. You can buy popping corn in bags or from bins. You have a saucepan with a lid. You put enough oil to cover bottom of pot. Drop in three seeds, cover and put on the flame. When the three kernels pop, the oil is hot enough. Remove from flame and add enough kernels to cover bottom of pan, cover and wait 30 seconds. Put back on flame and wait for it to begin popping. When popping slows almost to a stop, remove and dump popcorn in a bowl, add salt to taste -- and butter if you want. But, this popcorn is so good you really do not need butter.

You have learned well, grasshopper! The key is the 30 second wait before returning the pan to a medium-high Jiffy Pop Popcorn - Page 2 169387 heat to finish popping the corn.
lunateak
lunateak
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:06 am

I have two kinds of oil in the house...extra virgen olive oil and virgin organic coconut oil. According to the sites I've been sifting through, it only takes two tablespoons of either oil so you can make it in a healthier manner.
Commercially made popcorn is done with palm oil which is definitely a heart clogger.
Whatever...I'm here for a good time and I don't intend to just eat popcorn as a steady diet...I gotta save room for Milles Feuilles and Chocolate Eclairs Twisted Evil
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by lunateak Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:30 am

Either works very well. The coconut oil adds a nice tropical flavor. Regular olive oil gives a nice nutty flavor. Keep the EVOO for salad dressings.
lunateak
lunateak
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:33 am

Same 2 oils I have, Ferret. Try air-popped with coconut oil, I think it's really tasty. Palm oil is gross in so many ways and it doesn't even taste good.

But! If one takes care of their body they can have a good time FOR a long time! Unless, of course, one gets plowed down by a Chapala Bus.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Splashingcolor Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:40 pm

Yes, the old fashioned way is good, cheaper. But it does take practice. A couple of pans later, perfection was achieved. Air popped is by far the best way.
Splashingcolor
Splashingcolor
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Profound yet witty

Back to top Go down

Post by MyHomeSweetHome Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:27 pm

I have to eat popcorn almost everyday, just because i love it! Also makes a great snack/treat for training little dogs ;)

I don't wait for the oil to get hot either...we've been buying the organic tropics brand at Superlake but Costco is now carrying organic coconut oil in a tub! On tob, some guy, maybe the helperguy(?) said they use to work in a theatre and in the old days, they used coconut oil for making popcorn. This was interesting to me as I, being a health nut, started using coconut oil for our popcorn and thought it was the yummiest, "tastes like movie popcorn!" I'd say. Not only is virgin coconut oil able to make the greatest popcorn eve-h, it's great for your brain! Coconut oil helps reverse Alzheimer! So I'm like pouring the stuff on my popcorn, but gotta say, it's not helped my memory yet and I don't even have Alzheimer! any who..I just put 1/4 c Coconut oil in the pot, 1/3 c palamitos(buy it in abastos) then put the lid on, turn the heat up to 3/4 high and when it's slowed down the popping, take off the lid, put it in my dish and sprinkle sea salt...mmm!!! "they" say, 3 tbs coconut oil is what helps the brain, I highly recommend it!!! Very Happy

technically, 1 TBL oil to 1/3 Cup kernels...but I found that the popcorn wasn't always giving a nice fully fluffy popped corn, so I increased the oil to 2 TBL. I think it has to do with our altitude and low humidity here. Then when I learned that 3 TBL is suppose to help your memory, why I just increased it to 3-4 TBL, that way there's less mess and the popcorn is already evenly drizzled in the yummy oil. And the whole pot gets divided up between 4 people and a little doggie learning tricks so, it all works out...

MyHomeSweetHome
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Smartalex Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:17 pm

seisdedos wrote:
ferret wrote:Wonderful! What's popping corn (from a bin) called in Spanish? I know that the finished product is called Palomitas.

It's a toughie.

Maíz para palomitas.

My package says "maiz palomero." I buy the La Colina brand, which is readily available here. Look for it in the dried bean section of a market near you.
Smartalex
Smartalex
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by seisdedos Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:15 pm

Smartalex wrote:
seisdedos wrote:
ferret wrote:Wonderful! What's popping corn (from a bin) called in Spanish? I know that the finished product is called Palomitas.

It's a toughie.

Maíz para palomitas.

My package says "maiz palomero." I buy the La Colina brand, which is readily available here. Look for it in the dried bean section of a market near you.

Either way then, we use Verde Valle brand and it says "maiz para palomitas".
seisdedos
seisdedos
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:23 pm

Verde Valle is a good one. I could not remember the name or I would have recommended it earlier. I buy two bags at a time and dump them into a jar with tight fitting lid.
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Flamingo Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:23 pm

I get the super fresh popcorn strait from the abastos, at the little spice store next to Gossips Restaurant. Hasn't been sitting around in a bag in a warehouse.
Flamingo
Flamingo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:33 pm

I will have to try that. Thanks!
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:51 pm

Thanks for tip Flamingo. That's where I buy Moringa and it's closer to home.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:54 am

Reminds of of asking "where's the best pizza place" on the other board. "Make your own, make your own, make your own!" Well, sometimes maybe a person doesn't want to make their own. But then other times...

WalMart here did carry JiffyPop for a while, in both the stovetop frypan version and in cardboard popcorn buckets.

We used to buy popcorn in bags that came with flavoured oil on one side and kernels on the other. Now, when I can get it, I keep a small supply of Whirley Pop Movie Time popcorn, very similar, from Wabash Farms. The Whirley Pop gizmo is the best thing ever for popping, with a handle that rotates to keep the kernels heating evenly. And it works so well it takes only a Tbsp. of coconut or your preferred oil. (The less virgen the coco oil, the less coconutty the corn tastes.) http://www.popcornpopper.com/
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:51 am

The Wonderful World of Popping Corn continues to grow!
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by mattoleriver Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:31 pm

Due to recent dieting I've reintroduced myself to my old hot air popper. It's the kind that blows the popped corn into a container beside the popper. Jiffy Pop Popcorn - Page 2 Il_fullxfull.372725332_jxpw
At first I used some no name popcorn and it worked fairly well. I decided to treat myself to the good stuff so this time I bought Orville Reddenbacher's. When I popped the corn this time a large majority of the kernels were blown out of the popper before they could pop. When everything had stopped popping I poured the unpopped kernels back into the popper and tried again. The same thing happened again with well over half of the remaining kernels being blown out of the popper again before they could pop! WTF??
Of course, I bought the biggest package Orville makes. I guess I'll just have to go back to popping in oil and cut calories elsewhere.

George
mattoleriver
mattoleriver
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by sparks Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:30 pm

Buy the cheap stuff at Bodega/Walmart in a plastic bag. Add oil and salt to a pot on the stove and pop away. Won't taste like Kernel Sanders or whomever but will taste good if you watch it
sparks
sparks
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : The joke's on me

http://sparksmex.blogspot.mx/

Back to top Go down

Post by jrm30655 Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:07 pm

IMHO, peanut oil is the best. Priced it at SL and almost has a heart attack.

Worked one winter in a movie theatre. Had one of those old pot things that hung in the middle of a glass "booth" with an automatic stirrer. One small measure of oil, one larger measure of popcorn, measure of fine salt and when it quit popping you dumped the last out of the pot and did it again. And again, and again.

jrm30655
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:22 pm

You're lucky that you only had to pop the corn. Cleaning those old movie theatre machines was akin to a horror movie.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:38 pm

ferret wrote:You're lucky that you only had to pop the corn. Cleaning those old movie theatre machines was akin to a horror movie.
That's for sure. Every so often CostCo carries the home version. Cleanup is nasty.

The two or three Mexican brands of popping corn seem to be over-dried. They look it; they don't have any moisture left in the middle, and it just doesn't taste like "the good stuff". I'd be curious to know if it is selected for popping, or it's just stuffed into bags to appease a market.

It's the moisture that makes it pop up sweet, light, and large. That's why the Redenbacher blows out of the air popper.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:49 pm

Many years ago I read a hint that said if your popping corn is not popping up light and fluffy to add a (I believe) teaspoon of water to the container, shake it up and let it sit for a few days. I have no idea if it works but it might be worth a try. You might need to experiement with the amount of water and how long to let it sit, but if the corn you have isn´t much good there is not a lot to lose.
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:51 am

(Hey, how come the trolls haven't attacked us again for talking about the mundane world of popcorn?)

Lady Otter, that makes perfect sense. If it is possible for the kernels to absorb some moisture, then it should work. For the same reason, I keep my quality corn in the freezer between uses. And that definitely works. I rely on family and friends to bring me my "gourmet" kernels from Canada, and they last a long, long time that way.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:55 am

I was going to say why would someone not interested in the Wonderful World of Popping Corn even read a thread titled Jiffy Pop Popcorn, but then I remembered where I was. Very Happy
Pop on!
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:58 am

HelperGuy wrote:(Hey, how come the trolls haven't attacked us again for talking about the mundane world of popcorn?)
I was going to wait until it got into the fifth or sixth page.

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Twain

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next