INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Check your bank statements

+11
Rolly
ferret
Rosa Venus
CheenaGringo
Trailrunner
hockables
hound dog
CanuckBob
Smartalex
Pedro
Axixic
15 posters

Go down

Check your bank statements Empty Check your bank statements

Post by Axixic Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:03 pm

Spent a significant chunk of the morning on the phone with Scotiabank in Canada - Some merchant somewhere attempted to put through a fraudulent charge as a debit transaction to my access card and the bank spotted it as fraudulent so they suspended that card.

I will have to attend at one of their locations (in Canada) to get a new card issued. In the meantime, my internet access is still okay so I can work with that - just means I can't do debit until I next visit Canada.

I am REALLY impressed that ScotiaBank's system caught this at once before any fraudulent charges actually went through. They won't tell me which merchant it was - but I was recently in Puerto Vallarta and did use the debit card there and I suspect THAT is where the culprit merchant is - someone must have captured my PIN number. A friend in Puerto Vallarta tells me she knows of at least four people who had this issue following Semana Santa

MORAL: Check your bank statements carefully!

Axixic
Axixic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Check your bank statements Empty Re: Check your bank statements

Post by Pedro Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:20 pm

i will check with scotia but they told me that i can renew my debit card here the same as renewing visa. the kicker with visa is that it has to be mailed to your branch and they in turn mail it to you here. been there done that.
we have never ever used our debit card ,other than atm.
would be pretty expensive to go back to canada just for a new card

addendum:just spoke to call centre about this and they suggested you talk to someone at your branch about having a new one sent to you.
think about this-paying over $1000 to go back to canada to get another card does not make sense.
mine expires in about 2 years and they told me that they would just mail me a new one. we are in the process right now of getting new visa cards actually.

Last edited by Pedro on Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pedro
Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Smartalex Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:31 pm

Had a similar problem when I moved here four years ago. If you use your ATM card for a purchase, your account number becomes available to the fraudsters, but not your PIN or security code on the back of the card. When the bank sees that someone tried to make a purchase using your account number with the wrong security codes, they automatically kill the card. I have learned to use my ATM solely for cash withdrawals...and I never use my credit cards at all.
Smartalex
Smartalex
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Axixic Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:36 pm

Pedro,
Renewal of the card is straight-forward and doesn't require you to be physically present but a re-issue (new number, new PIN, new security code) apparently does require that you attend in person.

Not a huge issue - I can wait until I am back in Canada for other reasons.
Axixic
Axixic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:38 pm

Maybe they would let you authorize a friend or family member to do this?
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:47 pm

Axixic wrote:Pedro,
Renewal of the card is straight-forward and doesn't require you to be physically present but a re-issue (new number, new PIN, new security code) apparently does require that you attend in person.

Not a huge issue - I can wait until I am back in Canada for other reasons.
i realize that i was just talking to a call centre person but i have no plans on going back to canada so that would be very costly. there must be some sort of mechanism in place for persons under those circumstances.
Pedro
Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Axixic Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:51 pm

Well, I was satisfied with the solution they suggested for me under my circumstances so I didn't push the issue - maybe there's a work-around but I didn't really feel the need for one.

I did check a couple of possibilities with them:

- can't authorize someone else to do it for you - even with a power-of-attorney.
- can't use a Scotiabank branch in Guadalajara or elsewhere in Mexico - has to be in Canada.

EDIT - What just occurred to me that you likely COULD do is attend a Scotiabank branch in Mexico and set up new accounts with a Mexican issued access card then use internet banking to transfer balances from your existing Scotiabank accounts to your new Mexican ones. I can't think of a reason that would not work and would mean not having to physically be in Canada to accomplish. Basically you'd switch your Scotiabank account from Canada-based to Mexico-based.
Axixic
Axixic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hound dog Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:52 pm

Axixic wrote:Spent a significant chunk of the morning on the phone with Scotiabank in Canada - Some merchant somewhere attempted to put through a fraudulent charge as a debit transaction to my access card and the bank spotted it as fraudulent so they suspended that card.

I will have to attend at one of their locations (in Canada) to get a new card issued. In the meantime, my internet access is still okay so I can work with that - just means I can't do debit until I next visit Canada.

I am REALLY impressed that ScotiaBank's system caught this at once before any fraudulent charges actually went through. They won't tell me which merchant it was - but I was recently in Puerto Vallarta and did use the debit card there and I suspect THAT is where the culprit merchant is - someone must have captured my PIN number. A friend in Puerto Vallarta tells me she knows of at least four people who had this issue following Semana Santa

Perhaps a new bank would be a fine idea. Our banks in the United States, France and Mexico would consent to reinstate our temporarily suspended cards in short order after such attempted fraud activity as they have done on more than one occasion with a simple telephone authorization we provided over the telephone with a toll free call from the comfort of our living room in Mexico or any place we happened to be anywhere in the world and the entire process might take 15 minutes. If the process entailed the issuance of new cards, that would be accomplished by their sending us new cards by international overnight courier and we would never have to return to France or the United States or even go to Mexico City. That is not because we are important but 'simply because we are clients of average value to the bank. Quite seriously, find a bank with its head in the 21st Century.

Just yesterday, my U.S. bank froze our account because of suspected fraud activity. I called their toll free number in San Francisco and our debit card was immediately made available once again without our leaving the comfort of our home. Uou are being jacked around by your bank.

By the way, as any prudent bank client should do, I check our bank accounts daily on line as should you. Forget bank statements. We do not even receive bank statements.
hound dog
hound dog
Bad Dawg
Bad Dawg

Back to top Go down

Post by hockables Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:10 pm

hound dog wrote:
Axixic wrote:Spent a significant chunk of the morning on the phone with Scotiabank in Canada - Some merchant somewhere attempted to put through a fraudulent charge as a debit transaction to my access card and the bank spotted it as fraudulent so they suspended that card.

Perhaps a new bank would be a fine idea. Our banks in the United States, France and Mexico would consent to reinstate our temporarily suspended cards in short order after such attempted fraud activity as they have done on more than one occasion with a simple telephone authorization we provided over the telephone with a toll free call from the comfort of our living room in Mexico or any place we happened to be anywhere in the world and the entire process might take 15 minutes. If the process entailed the issuance of new cards, that would be accomplished by their sending us new cards by international overnight courier and we would never have to return to France or the United States or even go to Mexico City. That is not because we are important but 'simply because we are clients of average value to the bank. Quite seriously, find a bank with its head in the 21st Century.

Just yesterday, my U.S. bank froze our account because of suspected fraud activity. I called their toll free number in San Francisco and our debit card was immediately made available once again without our leaving the comfort of our home. Uou are being jacked around by your bank.

By the way, as any prudent bank client should do, I check our bank accounts daily on line as should you. Forget bank statements. We do not even receive bank statements.

What The Dawg said.... I second that...
On-line Banking ... check it every day
Security is one thing.. but nobody hijacks my money...
Call em again... if they don't dummy up... change banks
hockables
hockables
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Axixic Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:44 pm

My bank statements are online bank statements - Really didn't think I needed to specify that. I haven't received paper statements in years.

Frankly, I like that fact that Scotiabank requires more than a phone call to re-issue my card. That feels more secure to me since if my card were ever stolen, chances are it would be stolen along with a whole bunch of other items in my wallet that could be used to convince a voice on the phone that the thief is actually me. Not all "advancements" are progress.
Axixic
Axixic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:48 pm

Yeah, what they all said.

Last week my BofA debit card was frozen due to "unusual activity" which consisted of making a withdrawal from a bank in Joco instead of my usual ATM. I phoned them, electronically they asked several questions, interviewed me, and released my card for use within 15 minutes.

That kind of service from your bank will grow old if you intend to spend much time down here.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Axixic Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:56 pm

There's always a work-around. I'm happy to have it the way it is.
Axixic
Axixic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hound dog Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:06 pm

Axixic wrote:My bank statements are online bank statements - Really didn't think I needed to specify that. I haven't received paper statements in years.

Frankly, I like that fact that Scotiabank requires more than a phone call to re-issue my card. That feels more secure to me since if my card were ever stolen, chances are it would be stolen along with a whole bunch of other items in my wallet that could be used to convince a voice on the phone that the thief is actually me. Not all "advancements" are progress.

I undersatnd Axixic. I overcame this problem by using a secret code with my bank which I have never committed to writing. Only I know that code and they will not even talk to me unless I tell them that code upon my calling. What got to me was the notion that you could only get a new card by returning to Canada. That is hard to believe and is unaccepatble. My main bank is in San Francisco and the last time I set foot there was in 2001. When I have trouble, San Francisco comes to me via FedEx, UPS or DHL overnight even if I am in Godforsaken Jocotepec or frozen Siberia.

By the way, I started the secret code business when some theives changed my address to someplace in Texas and tried to change my e mail address and private password under my American Express credit card. When that happened I destroyed all credit cards and would not touch one with a ten foot pole these days.

Last edited by hound dog on Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
hound dog
hound dog
Bad Dawg
Bad Dawg

Back to top Go down

Post by Axixic Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:10 pm

I rarely need the debit card, as long as I have internet access I can make things work. Scotiabank is across Canada and I get back there once or twice a year for other reasons anyway. There is no such thing as an unattainable access code.

I'm good with this.
Axixic
Axixic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:11 pm

While we have our share of ATM cards, and assorted debit or credit cards - we have found that using ATM/debit cards to receive cash and using AMEX for hotel, rental car and some restaurant charges works the best for us. While AMEX has never found fraudulent activity on our cards in Mexico, they certainly have proven themselves in the US on a number of incidents! AMEX has done an excellent job of providing us with confidence in our transactions and that the cardholder is the protected one should fraudulent transactrions happen.

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hockables Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:43 pm

Axixic wrote:My bank statements are online bank statements - Really didn't think I needed to specify that. I haven't received paper statements in years.

Dude... relax... You don't have to do anything...

For my part... I wuzn't talking about you at all...

More about Banking Practices... and what you describe... doesn't sound good at all...

hockables
hockables
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosa Venus Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:46 pm

As with all banking stuff, "Whatever works for you."

But really, having to return to Canada to receive a new card is beyond the beyond. It might work out with your current plans and lifestyle, but what if it didn't? It's ridiculous.

Your bank, any bank, can do better than that.

Rosa Venus
Rosa Venus
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : The funny kind

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:52 pm

You're correct. It is beyond the beyond. About 10 years ago, my credit card was fraudulently used in PV. I also had to return to Canada to get a new one...and the silly twits gave me a new one for the remainder of the time that the old one had...which was six months. Arrrggghhhh! The good news was that I ONLY had used the card in one place and they were investigated and got NAILED for fraud. Not just mine either.
Our bank in Canada seem willing to either put it in the mail (DUH!) or accept a P.O.A. and have a family member pick it up. No other options...pathetic!...and I would be willing to PAY to have it securely couriered down.

ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:04 pm

we are just knocking our heads against a wall trying to give axixic advice about scotia. he doesn't have to go to canada to get a new card but apparently he likes doing things the hard way. as i mentioned before,i spoke to them today and what he says is not the case. so i am still quite happy doing good business with them and my branch in alberta.
Pedro
Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Rolly Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:24 pm

BoA froze my ATM card because I used it in the USA. Weird.
Rolly
Rolly
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Weird

http://rollybrook.com

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:40 pm

I think there must be a huge amount of fraud , my card was frozen because of a monthly charge of $12.95 by Skype. They told us the crooks start with small charges and increase the charges if the small ones go through. Meanwhile I was trying to check out of a hotel in Guatemala..I was happy my friends´´ card went through or we would have been working for the hotel for a while.

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:39 pm

Rolly wrote:BoA froze my ATM card because I used it in the USA. Weird.

Yep same thing happened to me with BOA 1/4 mile from the address on the credit card LOL.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by hound dog Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:54 pm

Dawg worked for many years as a banker in the U.S. for banks owned by Brits, Taiwanese crooks, African Americans, and a group of homosexual bankers setting up the first all gay owned bank in San Francisco just before the AIDS scare in the early 1980s sent that community into a tail spin. They are all dead or disgraced and I am still here.

The worst and most dishonest bankers were the Taiwanese. I will refrain from grading the rest but all I can say at this point is that if you ever buy a chicken from a Taiwanese banker, smell it before you eat it.
hound dog
hound dog
Bad Dawg
Bad Dawg

Back to top Go down

Post by confused Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:56 pm

hound dog wrote:Dawg worked for many years as a banker in the U.S. for banks owned by Brits, Taiwanese crooks, African Americans, and a group of homosexual bankers setting up the first all gay owned bank in San Francisco just before the AIDS scare in the early 1980s sent that community into a tail spin. They are all dead or disgraced and I am still here.

OK..... this is very interesting. So..... with your background and all the doom and gloom predictions about the insecurity of banks..... what do you think of the Mexican banking industry? If you had a million bucks at the moment, where would you deposit it? I know its off topic. Shoot me.

confused

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveP Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:01 am

Axixic wrote:Well, I was satisfied with the solution they suggested for me under my circumstances so I didn't push the issue - maybe there's a work-around but I didn't really feel the need for one.

I did check a couple of possibilities with them:

- can't authorize someone else to do it for you - even with a power-of-attorney.
- can't use a Scotiabank branch in Guadalajara or elsewhere in Mexico - has to be in Canada.

EDIT - What just occurred to me that you likely COULD do is attend a Scotiabank branch in Mexico and set up new accounts with a Mexican issued access card then use internet banking to transfer balances from your existing Scotiabank accounts to your new Mexican ones. I can't think of a reason that would not work and would mean not having to physically be in Canada to accomplish. Basically you'd switch your Scotiabank account from Canada-based to Mexico-based.

I already tried this and there is no connection for online banking. What I did do is arrange Wire transfers to my Mexican Bank and this works well.
DaveP
DaveP
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : A little English

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down