INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wearing glasses may not be so bad after all...

+6
arbon
CanuckBob
viajero
gringal
Trailrunner
ferret
10 posters

Go down

Wearing glasses may not be so bad after all... Empty Wearing glasses may not be so bad after all...

Post by ferret Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:07 pm

How very sad for these people.

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2013/04/12/the_terrible_aftermath_of_a_oncelauded_eye_surgery.html

ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Wearing glasses may not be so bad after all... Empty Re: Wearing glasses may not be so bad after all...

Post by Trailrunner Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:40 pm

Whew! Dodged the bullet on that one.
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Wearing glasses may not be so bad after all... Empty Re: Wearing glasses may not be so bad after all...

Post by ferret Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:47 pm

I remember wishing I had the money to get it done...I'm ever so grateful for the lack of funds.
I've now been wearing glasses for 59 years...they were so heavy (with real glass) when I was a kid that, as a four year old, I used to hide them under the rug and hope somebody would step on them. Improvements have made them light as a feather. No complaints.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:24 am

Fortunately I was too chicken to think about doing that in the past and just wore contacts or glasses for most of my life. PITA, but a minor one and it's not true that boys don't make passes at girls who wear glasses. lol.

The only good reason to have eye surgery is when your vision is going bad for reasons like cataracts or other eye diseases.

In fact, the minute someone comes at you with a knife for any reason, there is cause to worry. I've seen some results of cosmetic surgery around here that are positively scary, and a "tummy tuck" can be fatal in some cases.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:39 am

gringal wrote: it's not true that boys don't make passes at girls who wear glasses. lol.
I have always found girls who wear glasses very sexy!

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Twain

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:49 am

viajero wrote:
gringal wrote: it's not true that boys don't make passes at girls who wear glasses. lol.

Now that's kinky! Rolling Eyes

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:51 am

viajero wrote:

Ah yes, the "Librarian look"......
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:00 pm

gringal wrote:
viajero wrote:

I was just being honest,if that makes me kinky,so be it. Very Happy

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:02 pm

CanuckBob wrote:

Ah yes, the "Librarian look"......
You bet!Sexy and smart,what a combo!

Last edited by viajero on Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:05 pm; edited 1 time in total

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:03 pm

viajero wrote:
gringal wrote:
viajero wrote:

I was just being honest,if that makes me kinky,so be it. Very Happy

Were you the guy who was chasing me around the schoolyard way back when??
lol!

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:20 pm

gringal wrote:

Were you the guy who was chasing me around the schoolyard way back when??
lol!
Could've been,I've been chasing girls since kindergarden,where'd you go to school?

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:55 pm

Bad little boy! (the best kind)
Actually, I was in a private girls school......so not likely. cheers

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by arbon Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:37 pm

ferret wrote:I remember wishing I had the money to get it done...I'm ever so grateful for the lack of funds.
I've now been wearing glasses for 59 years...they were so heavy (with real glass) when I was a kid that, as a four year old, I used to hide them under the rug and hope somebody would step on them. Improvements have made them light as a feather. No complaints.

What was your glasses magnification when you saw your first husband nude?
arbon
arbon
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Humour

Back to top Go down

Post by Axixic Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:00 pm

I had RK performed in the 80s when it was still an "experimental" procedure and it corrected my vision sufficiently for me to meet the qualifications of the Toronto Police Force - I still required glasses but fell within the acceptable limits. It required six incisions in one eye and eight in the other.

From the very first there was scarring that resulted in "trails" appearing around bright objects looked at in the night (the moon, for example). A fairly modest annoyance that I have lived with so long now I don't really notice it anymore. A significant loss of night vision. An intense light sensitivity that could (and still does) bring on migraine headaches. And a gradual decrease in visual acuity that makes replacing glasses a fairly expensive proposition.

All in all it was still one of the best decisions of my life; it allowed me access to an interesting and rewarding career that was everything I hoped it would be and more. I did leave policing after 21 years but took my training and experience with me into an equally interesting career in the private sector - a position I would never have been offered without the qualifications I gained from policing.
Axixic
Axixic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:19 pm

What a bold confession to make of one's past life when you consider the large "criminal element" from Toronto in this area. lol!

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:22 pm

Excellent Axixic! Glad it didn't interfere with your career and hope you still have contacts from your past. Ya never know when they might be needed. You could have a whole career as a P.I. in Mexico looking for criminals who've flown the coop...just don't go the way of Dawg the Bounty Hunter.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:01 pm

arbon wrote:
ferret wrote:I remember wishing I had the money to get it done...I'm ever so grateful for the lack of funds.

What was your glasses magnification when you saw your first husband nude?

The same as when I divorced him.
Seriously, you think anybody wears glasses when they're having sex?
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:24 pm

I had RK back in 1993, and according to my cutter, Russia perfected procedure. At any rate, great decision, no glasses required for driving, golf, waterskiing, sex.....OOOPS
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Whenever I need it!

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:26 am

http://www.thestar.com/news/world/2013/04/13/do_new_medical_procedures_get_enough_scrutiny.html

Although I sympathize with those that didn't benefit from this surgery, they did sign a consent form. This is such a grey area for those who will try anything to achieve a dream or even have a "quality of life". Do we stop innovating? Do we stop taking chances and being guinea pigs?
Even the first heart or liver transplant patients didn't live very long and were grasping at straws.
I know I advocate research and getting as many opinions as possible for whatever procedure you want done but once you've made that decision and signed that consent form, I think you're on your own. No turning back.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:49 am

Very true, ferret, but when an industry is heavily advertising only the good results, it's hard to be an informed consumer. It would be more ethical, IMO, if some of the negative results were mentioned.

In emergency situations, the consent form might as well be automatic. Not much choice in extremis.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trailrunner Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:22 am

The thing that made me nervous about RK, and I REALLY wanted to do it, was that it was a new procedure and there was no long-term outcome date or knowledge . Now we see . . .
Trailrunner
Trailrunner
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:10 pm

I agree with both of you. It's darned hard to find any totally truthful information about anything these days. Integrity is going down the tubes and, as always, money rules.
I would really like to know the actual stats...how many procedures done worldwide versus those who've had adverse effects. Even then, every procedure wasn't exactly the same...some had more cuts, some less, some had crosscuts. And, none of that is mentioned in the article.

ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:17 pm

For a somewhat refreshing story about transparency in the healthcare industry:
"'Undercover' hospital CEO refuses to bury bad news
David Musyj often works different jobs to learn about staff problems":

"Windsor Regional Hospital CEO David Musyj goes to great lengths to find out what’s happening at his Ontario hospital.

A lawyer-turned-hospital administrator, Musyj can often be found in scrubs, working different jobs to learn about problems facing his staff.

Though not quite undercover, he's had moments where a patient didn’t realize he was, in fact, the CEO, Musyj told CBC's the fifth estate in an interview for Rate My Hospital, a special investigative report on Canadian hospitals..........

He presents an interesting point of view in the video contained in the following article:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/2013/04/12/windsor-ceo-musyj.html?cmp=rss

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:29 pm

That was a GREAT article and interview. Woohoo! Integrity and common sense combined...hope it's contagious!
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:19 pm

Apparently, it is far from contagious:
"Hospitals profit from surgical errors, study finds"

"Hospitals make money from their own mistakes because insurers pay them for the longer stays and extra care that patients need to treat surgical complications that could have been prevented, a new study finds..............

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/51568932/ns/health-health_care/#.UW65g8rd_Ro

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down