INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Comida

+13
CheenaGringo
Rosa Venus
Trailrunner
brigitte
CHILLIN
hound dog
slainte39
CanuckBob
gringal
ferret
viajero
Lady Otter Latté
seisdedos
17 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Comida - Page 3 Empty Re: Comida

Post by brigitte Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:01 pm

I do not know anything about the population at large in Macau but the other 3 countries are small and do not have a large part of their population below the poverty level-

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by seisdedos Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:05 pm

I am pretty sure there is universal care in Italy.
seisdedos
seisdedos
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:09 pm

If not the health care is affortable and widely available. It also has the reputation to be the best just behind France.

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by seisdedos Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:25 pm

gringal wrote:Universal health care won't do a bit of good if people don't also take care of themselves. Also, citing the United States statistics as a whole is not meaningful since there is are vast regional differences in health problems. I'm guessing the figures for Oregonians are different from those for Mississippians, for example.

That is simply untrue. Many countries that have universal health care normally have a lower infant mortality rate which of course has a big effect on the average life expectancy.
seisdedos
seisdedos
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by seisdedos Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:27 pm

brigitte wrote:If not the health care is affortable and widely available. It also has the reputation to be the best just behind France.

I'll ask my daughter who lives there. I recall her telling about her brother in law's wife giving birth and all care was free.
seisdedos
seisdedos
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:32 pm

The way you eat and what you eat, what you breathe, what you drink... the level of stress... so many other things play a part.

Plus, in that particular chunk of the list, there is only a year or two difference between all the countries except for the top couple, which to me shows a fairly insignificant statistical difference.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:45 pm

seisdedos wrote:
gringal wrote:Universal health care won't do a bit of good if people don't also take care of themselves. Also, citing the United States statistics as a whole is not meaningful since there is are vast regional differences in health problems. I'm guessing the figures for Oregonians are different from those for Mississippians, for example.

That is simply untrue. Many countries that have universal health care normally have a lower infant mortality rate which of course has a big effect on the average life expectancy.

Statistically true, of course. I would like to see a chart that did not include childrens deaths under 6 mo., which might skew the figures considerably.

My point is that easily available and low cost healthcare won't do you much good if your lifestyle promotes obesity and it's good buddy, diabetes. Just to stir the pot a bit more, the average U.S. senior citizen is on 5 or more prescription medications, according to a study by a reputable source (that I couldn't remember if my life depended on it.) Are we over medicated by the medical establishment, or are we so unhealthy that it's all that's keeping us going?

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:51 pm

Neil do you have the infant mortality chart? I think that would explain the difference between the sytems better. I would think that the infant mortality would go down with a Universal Health care sytem and probably affect the longevity way more than the life style although of course everything counts.

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:13 pm

Brigitte:

The following article discusses infant mortality in the US and compares with certain other countries:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2013/01/09/graph-of-the-day-the-united-states-has-a-really-high-infant-mortality-rate/

And then from a Conservative Think Tank: "Don't Fall Prey to Propaganda: Life Expectancy and Infant Mortality are Unreliable Measures for Comparing the U.S. Health Care System to Others":
http://www.nationalcenter.org/NPA547ComparativeHealth.html

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:46 pm

mexico ranks 3rd in the world with people over 100. where is george carlin when ya really need a formidable statistician?-SNORK!
Pedro
Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:58 pm

Thanks Neil!

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by espíritu del lago Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:46 am

Comida - Page 3 374777 Shaking head, lol, and now I am a self taught world traveler schooled in statistics all in just a few moments, not only that..... after the swarm thread I realized I understood the Spanish.

Now back to the topic on hand. Agree with JRM . I don't know or care what you or the rest of civilization thinks, I will.... eat, drink and be merry as long as it feels good to me, however. .....
Always remember....... I will be true with myself in manner of food, drink, and highly cautious of of the pharmaceutical corporations which indirectly fund our medical provider's, regardless of your country of choice. Now that being said ..... I am sure in the long run what I say or do will ever matter when the bells toll...... J ust remember my my friend..... What really does matter is...... RIght here. .... Right now... you ask why? ..... The one thing that never changes is Change! !!! As I reflect upon life, I notice that all the good intentions that we as a society truly want is to do and be everything to everyone.

LIFE IS SHORT SO LIVE IT.. TODAY IS HERE.... TOMORROW IS NOT GUARANTEED... Comida - Page 3 661816
espíritu del lago
espíritu del lago
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sarcastic

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3