INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Asking a Question about Computers

4 posters

Go down

Asking a Question about Computers Empty Asking a Question about Computers

Post by johninajijic Sun May 19, 2013 5:59 pm

Can someone tell me what this means? I took this info off my receipt.

Intel Pentium Dual Core - 2.0 Ghz - 800 Mhz Processor
Seagate 250 GB 7200 RPM - Memory 1 GB - 80 Mhz - DVD 20 x

I understand the processor part.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sometimes

Back to top Go down

Asking a Question about Computers Empty Re: Asking a Question about Computers

Post by hkrause Sun May 19, 2013 6:15 pm

Seagate hard drive, 250 GB of storage, and running at 7200 rpm speed (other drives run slower, and there are some at higher speed, but they're much more expensive).

1GB of memory is very little for any OS newer than Windows XP (and really not much for XP). It would be good to upgrade to more memory in the system if possible. You can use the Crucial memory scanner to check a system's current and upgradeable configuration. Go to the following site, download and run the scanner: http://www.crucial.com/systemscanner/ You have to run it from the system you want to check. It will tell you how many memory slots the computer has, how much memory is there already, and what you can do to upgrade.

DVD 20x just tells you the maximum speed of the DVD drive. This might help explain: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CD_and_DVD_writing_speed

hkrause
hkrause
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Sun May 19, 2013 6:18 pm

The Seagate is a 250 MB hard drive, quite small by today's standards. The 80Mhz refers to the speed of the RAM (memory), and the DVD spins at 20 times the speed of the first CD burner for computers. (This rating used to be important, but isn't at all now, as all DVD burners are fast enough for any function.)

However, the Pentium cannot be both a 2.0 Gig and an 800 Meg at the same time...

(Whoops, posted at the same time....) However, in response to that post: 1 gig of RAM is more than enough for EXP on a 32-bit machine, which most XP machines were. In fact, 512 MB allows XP to run exceedingly well for most users. This sounds like an older computer, considering the Pentium. Doubtful if the motherboard allows for more than 1 Gig of RAM.

Last edited by HelperGuy on Sun May 19, 2013 6:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Sun May 19, 2013 6:23 pm

1 MB RAM allows Windows 7 to run at a very nice clip. I always installed 2 Gigs when building a new PC, but the price has dropped low enough that I now install 4 Gigs as standard for the same price.

To use more than 3 Gigs RAM, W7 must be configured as 64-bit. This is finally a viable option, as drivers are now being provided for almost all 64-bit systems for scanners, printers, webcams, and so on.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Sun May 19, 2013 6:52 pm

Thank you. I just asked because I'm computer illiterate. I won't upgrade this computer as I want to sell it and go back NOB, where I'll buy a new one. It has been OK for me on Windows XP.

For the person who mentioned age, it was built by Martin Leal and is 4 years old. The motherboard quit last year so there's a new MB in it.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sometimes

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Mon May 20, 2013 8:32 am

Hmm, did I misread the original post? I guess so, sorry. A dual core was a very good choice for W7 and even W8, although CPUs are faster now, of course. Trouble is, in Mexico, prices are much higher for CPUs than NOB.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by espíritu del lago Mon May 20, 2013 8:44 am

My suggustion buy a new computer when you get to SC. Get Windows 7 if you can, it is possible. Windows 8 not so great to me. But do go to best buy and try it out just don't buy there. There are better deals online.
espíritu del lago
espíritu del lago
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sarcastic

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down