INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ajijic, what will the new day bring?

+21
brigitte
Mainecoons
CHILLIN
Pedro
gvprod
gringal
rjf1943
SunshineyDay
Rosa Venus
espíritu del lago
CheenaGringo
texunsam
JayBear
Gamina
Pescador
Jeff Raybourne
barbicheesecake
Smartalex
RoyD
CanuckBob
oncesubtle
25 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Ajijic, what will the new day bring? - Page 2 Empty Re: Ajijic, what will the new day bring?

Post by texunsam Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:52 am

PS we were not able to hook-up with John, so missed that. Will try to next time as I think knowing someone would make the whole process much easier.

Sam

texunsam

Back to top Go down

Ajijic, what will the new day bring? - Page 2 Empty Re: Ajijic, what will the new day bring?

Post by CanuckBob Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:15 am

Third world??? Really Sam? I am not trying to be a smartass here but if you think Guadalajara and the Lake Chapala area is "third world" you would probably be uncomfortable in any part of Mexico or anywhere else in Latin America.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by SunshineyDay Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:20 am

#15 is "La Una" ????

SunshineyDay
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by rjf1943 Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:22 am

#4 and #7........welcome to Mexico...........surprise, Spanish is spoken here!!
rjf1943
rjf1943

Back to top Go down

Post by texunsam Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:51 am

Not trying to be a smart ass, just trying to give my first and only impression of Lakeside. Yes Spanish is spoken I get that, it was just uncomfortable to not be able to get money when needed and communicate when I wanted to. There is an increased awareness of the need to learn some Spanish before even thinking about moving. My third world comment was regarding the way things are, but like the barrios of N. America. I am not trying to be anything, except to relate to my reactions....Sorry if I offended anyone, but I do think any newbie would appreciate an honest reaction. I know that I would.

texunsam

Humor : Funny

Back to top Go down

Post by rjf1943 Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:01 am

I was not offended it is just that so many visitors and also some who live here as well seem to think it is incumbent for the locals to speak English.
rjf1943
rjf1943

Back to top Go down

Post by texunsam Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:09 am

I understand, there were just two situations where it would have been nice to have some form of communication (walmart and the bank), but we did play golf with a caddy named Pedro who didn't speak English at all and we didn't speak Spanish at all, but somehow we managed to play 15 holes and enjoyed each others company. I guess that's what it's all about! I didn't mean to be negative with my comments, just honest.

texunsam

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:12 am

Third world?  My oh my.  I don't think this fella has ever been in a real Third World country, and so, wouldn't recognize that by the time you have the amenities that exist in the Lake Chapala area, especially Ajijic, you're at least in a "Second World".

I appreciate that he's giving his honest impression from his visit, but the last time I was in Texas, I concluded that it was just one big shopping mall in an otherwise barren landscape with a lousy climate.  But then, I'm from coastal CA, so what do I know?
 flag waver

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by rjf1943 Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:35 am

texunsam wrote:I understand, there were just two situations where it would have been nice to have some form of communication (walmart and the bank), but we did play golf with a caddy named Pedro who didn't speak English at all and we didn't speak Spanish at all, but somehow we managed to play 15 holes and enjoyed each others company. I guess that's what it's all about! I didn't mean to be negative with my comments, just honest.

Your comments are appreciated. Point 4 and 7 are just a sore points for me............pet peeve, I guess!!
rjf1943
rjf1943

Back to top Go down

Post by gvprod Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:43 am

Sam, you didn't even try "pan tachigual" it is unique to Ajijic, no where else in the world can you get it.
gvprod
gvprod
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : live today like no one else, so tomorrow you can live like no one else

http://www.lathmedia.com

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:47 am

texunsam wrote:Not trying to be a smart ass, just trying to give my first and only impression of Lakeside. Yes Spanish is spoken I get that, it was just uncomfortable to not be able to get money when needed and communicate when I wanted to. There is an increased awareness of the need to learn some Spanish before even thinking about moving. My third world comment was regarding the way things are, but like the barrios of N. America. I am not trying to be anything, except to relate to my reactions....Sorry if I offended anyone, but I do think any newbie would appreciate an honest reaction. I know that I would.

I wasn't offended either. It's just that I have been in countries (and parts of the US & Canada...jaja) that are truly third world. Mexico is light-years ahead of some parts of Africa, Asia, Europe and other countries in Latin America. I consider countries like Ethiopia to be Third World, certainly not Mexico.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:34 am

CanuckBob wrote:Third world??? Really Sam? I am not trying to be a smartass here but if you think Guadalajara and the Lake Chapala area is "third world" you would probably be uncomfortable in any part of Mexico or anywhere else in Latin America.
probly even some parts of texass-SNORK! dirty? never been to a place where there is a dry season and dust-eh!
my mother called that clean dirt.
Pedro
Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CHILLIN Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:36 am

Hate to be pedantic, but the terms first world, etc are hopelessly out of date. The second world countries were the communist aligned countries.

http://www.nationsonline.org/oneworld/third_world_countries.htm
CHILLIN
CHILLIN
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Mainecoons Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:39 am

Agree with Bob about the "third world" comment.  They don't have Costco and WalMart in the third world, really.  Second world would be more accurate.

This place really isn't for everyone.  Nor is it comparable to Oklahoma.  Around the world, the places that have the really outstanding climates, for example, are far pricier than here.  So you really can't compare to Oklahoma. Try comparing to San Diego area or the south of France. That's good for a shock.

We don't have winter, tornadoes or blazing hot summers.  We do have quite a variety of life styles, from the gated hillside communities with plenty of space and views, to the village life style of walk everywhere.  We don't have leisure world, you have to be more alert here about protecting yourself and your property.

There's an undercurrent of joy, togetherness and celebration that one does not find NOB.  People here do not sit at home watching TV.  They are out on the street visiting, partying and just enjoying each other.  That does tend to make it noisy at times but for us, that is the sound of life.

Yes, Spanish is a bit of a challenge but also an opportunity to stimulate those brain cells and meet a lot of nice folks in the process.  I struggle with hearing spoken Spanish because of a hearing disability but we both have learned enough Spanish to get by, we enjoy our morning study and our friends, neighbors and even the folks on the street are always eager to help us.

Having said all that, it doesn't speak ill of you in any way if this place doesn't work for you.  Different strokes for different folks.  Glad to hear that you will return and spend more time.  Perhaps you should try and find a place to rent in one of the hillside communities that, frankly, resemble life NOB more.  Make sure it has TV so you can watch all the lousy weather stories from up there while you bask in the sun here.
Mainecoons
Mainecoons
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Mad Magazine

Back to top Go down

Post by texunsam Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:42 am

Thanks for all the comments. Everything continues to shape our thoughts. I was especially impressed with the Mexicans that I interacted with. A most enjoyable group of people.

texunsam

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:45 am

[quote="CanuckBob"]
texunsam wrote:Not trying to be a smart ass, just trying to give my first and only impression of Lakeside. Yes Spanish is spoken I get that, it was just uncomfortable to not be able to get money when needed and communicate when I wanted to. There is an increased awareness of the need to learn some Spanish before even thinking about moving. My third world comment was regarding the way things are, but like the barrios of N. America. I am not trying to be anything, except to relate to my reactions....Sorry if I offended anyone, but I do think any newbie would appreciate an honest reaction. I know that I would.

I wasn't offended either. It's just that I have been in countries (and parts of the US & Canada...jaja) that are truly third world. Mexico is light-years ahead of some parts of Africa, Asia, Europe and other countries in Latin America. I consider countries like Ethiopia to be Third World, certainly not Mexico.[/quote]

Ethiopia is light years ahead of Mexico in terms of civility. Ethiopia was an example of human civility for the world before Europeans crawled out of their caves and discovered fire.

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:57 am

oh yes! the cradle of civility and couscous,is ethiopia
Pedro
Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CHILLIN Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:11 pm

Maybe you mean Tef Pedro? The world's first library was in Timbuctu -all that is left is an anthill. Lesson learned.
CHILLIN
CHILLIN
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by joyfull Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:26 pm

A couple of points Sam...people come here all the time wanting to see real estate. Showing property is very different here. There are no lock boxes on houses. An agent must make appointments with the owners, who being retired will probably be home during the showing or they need to make arrangements to get a key. It is really a PIA for the agent who does this day in and day out with people who are here on vacation "just looking."
Have you done much traveling outside the U.S? This is in no way a 3rd world country. Most of us find the old village with the cobblestone streets charming. I agree it looks dirty when you first arrive, but it is just old. Most people sweep the streets daily.
Had you come down with Focus on Mexico who shows you how to live here you may have felt differently. We did not do that BTW. I understand they tell people not to make any decisions about how they feel about Lakeside until they have been here at least 4 days, I agree with that. It really does help to have someone show you around and to meet other expats living here. It makes a huge difference as to how you view the area. Hope you come back again.
joyfull
joyfull
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Lovingly sarcastic

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:50 pm

It does take some time to get the real picture.

For example, two women from San Miguel were writing a book a few years ago about different cities in Mexico where expats tended to live.  They arrived on a rainy day and stayed in the most basic (but cheapest) B&B in Ajijic, spent two days here and went home to write that Ajijic residents were mostly retired, very conservative ex-military people who played golf, drank a lot and hung out at LCS for kaffeeklatches, bridge and board games.

Right-o. lol!

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by Ms.Thang Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:39 pm

Sam, May is not the best time to visit Lake Chapala. It's the last month of he dry season and it gets pretty hot . The rainy season starts somewhere around late June and everything quickly gets very fresh and green. We all look forward to the rainy season.

I enjoyed hearing about your first impressions and appreciate your candor. I realize that they are only first impressions but I don't detect any " passion" about the area in your post , it leaves me wondering why you are even considering living here.
I often read that people supposedly move here because of the climate or the affordability but the people I talk to always say pretty much the same thing..." It just felt like home" and that is exactly the way I felt when I came here.
I hope you gain some more insight on your next visit and find some things that really excite you about this next chapter in your life.

Ms.Thang
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:55 pm

I agree with Ms. Thang. I came to Chapala for a one-week vacation and walked around with a smile on my face the whole time. I still say (6 years later) that I felt as though I had come home from day one. This area does not speak to everyone. The ones to whom it does usually know it right away.
I remember talking to a couple who had been living here a few weeks. She said the first time they drove onto Chapala, she looked around and thought, "What a shithole" but she was getting used to it. I knew they would not last--and they didn´t. Now some people have a difficult adjustment and then fall in love with life here. But, usually you know right away.
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Biting

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:04 pm

Not making plus or minus commentary about life at Lake Chapala but I have lived in enough resort areas where people visited on vacation and decided to retire there only to find out that residency wasn't the same as being on vacation! I think I am being fair when I say that we all react to situations differently and don't really think you can read anything into Sam's posts.

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:32 pm

Chapala is not exactly Cancun but I take your point.
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Biting

Back to top Go down

Post by Smartalex Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:19 pm

Kinda reminds me of Venice Beach.
Smartalex
Smartalex
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by borderreiver Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:33 pm

You really need to come down for longer (4-6 wks.). You need to learn how to count in spanish or get an app. You need to learn to greet everyone with "buenos dias, buenos tardes, or buenos noches." This, in this culture, is called civility. Civility is a social skill. Mexicans want your greenbacks but they will generally be very polite about relieving you of them, as opposed to people in Houston. You need to come, relax, and realize that a lot of shit doesn't really matter. THEN, maybe go house hunting.
borderreiver
borderreiver
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : humor is spelt incorrectly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next