INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Want to renounce your USA citizenship?

+9
Smartalex
slainte39
Lady Otter Latté
CanuckBob
arbon
viajero
Jim W
Pedro
Rolly
13 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

Want to renounce your USA citizenship? - Page 4 Empty Re: Want to renounce your USA citizenship?

Post by slainte39 Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:11 pm

arbon wrote:

There are many thousands of people who don't know that they are considered USA citizens. (by accident)

Lady Otter.....
Maybe....he thinks he is one.....OF THEM.  Suspect

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Want to renounce your USA citizenship? - Page 4 Empty Re: Want to renounce your USA citizenship?

Post by Lady Otter Latté Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:14 pm

"The Accidental Citizen" could be a new film. Very Happy
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Biting

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrs. Rupert Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:26 am

I think IVA is attached to EVERYTHING here- and the rate is around 16+%. This is a pretty high tax that is levied on EVERYTHING. Whether you are aware of it or not, it is collected in the fees you pay.
A silent tax- at least in the States you are aware that you are paying a tax, and certainly not almost 17% on what you purchase.

Mrs. Rupert
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:03 pm

I think most unprepared food items and medicines are still exempt, so not everything, but pet food is now swept into the IVA tax group.
I know no one likes comparisons to other countries but IVA/VAT in the UK/Ireland runs at 20/21 %.

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by arbon Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:31 pm

At the U.S. consulate in Toronto, where an appointment to renounce citizenship was usually available within two-to-four weeks, the next opening is now mid-February, 2015.

The price of freedom from Uncle Sam is now a lot steeper.

Faced with a historic number of Americans renouncing their U.S. citizenship, Washington has decided to grab some cash from their one-time citizens on their way out, raising the processing cost to sever ties from $450 (U.S.) to $2,350.

It appears a fivefold increase will not slow the stampede.

At the U.S. consulate in Toronto, where an appointment to renounce citizenship was usually available within two-to-four weeks, the next opening is now mid-February, 2015.

arbon
arbon
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Humour

Back to top Go down

Post by Vandre Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:12 pm

Arbon, What nationality are you?

Vandre
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:34 pm

Vandre wrote:Arbon,  What nationality are you?
He's a hog rancher who lives in Canada,that's how he knows about"stampedes",but I'm not sure about his nationality.

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Twain

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:37 pm

lol!
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Whenever I need it!

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:04 pm

He has quite a fascination with the United States and citizenship issues. It is similar to when a supposedly straight man is obsessed with homosexuality. Arbon may well be a closet American.
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by arbon Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:16 pm

Vandre wrote:Arbon,  What nationality are you?

Fatca is applied to every nationality in the World.

You need to find out this *What is a U.S. person?* (and if YOU are one?)
arbon
arbon
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:21 pm

Arbon, Sounds like a trick question Please define US person?
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by arbon Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:28 pm

Jim W wrote:Arbon, Sounds like a trick question   Please define US person?

What is a U.S. person?

According to U.S. tax law, you may be considered a U.S. person if you are:
•A citizen of the U.S. (including an individual born in the U.S. but resident in Canada or another country, who has not renounced U.S. citizenship);
•A lawful resident of the U.S. (including a U.S. green card holder)
•A person residing in the U.S.

You may also be considered a U.S. person if you spend a considerable amount of time in the U.S. on a yearly basis. If you are unsure if this affects you, contact your tax advisor.

U.S. corporations, estates and trusts may also be considered U.S. persons.

U.S. persons generally have an obligation to file annual tax returns and other information with the U.S. government. For more information about these U.S. tax obligations, visit the IRS website at the following link or speak to your tax advisor.

http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/International-Taxpayers/U.S.-Citizens-and-Resident-Aliens-Abroad

FATCA LINK
arbon
arbon
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:34 pm

Damn you are fast with the facts.......I qualify.....I am a US person. Beer
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:30 pm

It appears that the rise on those renouncing U.S. citizenship is mostly from those who have never lived in the U.S. and were citizens due to accidents of birth place.

“Diane Gelon, a London based US attorney, said clients were renouncing their American citizenship to simplify their lives by being involved in only one tax system.
“Not one client of mine has ever said I hate the US government; I hate its foreign policy; I hate that we have troops in the Middle East and that’s why I am renouncing my US citizenship.”
Richard Goldstein, another American attorney, said: “There are some people who are citizens by accident of birth. It can be children whose parents were working in America when they were born.
“They may have never lived there but will find they are deemed to be American citizens."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/11064480/Thousands-of-Americans-surrendering-their-passports-due-to-be-hit-by-huge-hike-in-government-fees.html
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:12 pm

OTH....it can be difficult for children of US parents, born outside the US, to get US citizenship if the parents can not prove a certain length of time spent in the US.
Would they be considered "accidental non-citizens"?

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Playaboy Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:42 am

Mrs. Rupert wrote:I think IVA is attached to EVERYTHING here- and the rate is around 16+%.  This is a pretty high tax that is levied on EVERYTHING.  Whether you are aware of it or not, it  is collected in the fees you pay.
A silent tax- at least in the States you are aware that you are paying a tax, and certainly not almost 17% on what you purchase.

In the USA there are plenty of everyday "silent taxes" or excise (indirect) taxes.Some of the everyday items are; gasoline, cigarettes, tires, booze, airline tickets, insurance premiums and some gambling activities.  Then in some states you get to pay a sales tax on that indirect tax.

You could be paying more than 16% tax and don't even realize it. 

We just keep on paying taxes and it is never enough. Think about that at the next election.

Playaboy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by arbon Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:03 pm

Jim W wrote:Damn you are fast with the facts.......I qualify.....I am a US person. Beer

There is also Point Roberts and Mount Baker in Washington State, for US persons. Eh

(Not just Canadians)
arbon
arbon
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4