INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Comments about motorcycles

+7
kiko
viajero
gpbasap
Pedro
SunFan
Mainecoons
CanuckBob
11 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Comments about motorcycles - Page 2 Empty Re: Comments about motorcycles

Post by CanuckBob Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:57 pm

Pedro wrote:smart group riders slow down when they can't see what's ahead and the lead rider sticks a leg out when he sees a hole. you know zilch about riding around here when you say dual sports are favoured. you are on the wrong board now to spout your usual bullshit,coonboy. oh, and my helmet is a police helmet made in italy and is worn by some cops in canada and no doubt in the us too, go straighten them out-jaja!

While I wouldn't know if they are favored, there are thousands of dual purpose bikes on the highways in Mexico. Far more than I ever saw in Canada. I see them everywhere on my travels around central Mexico. I usually only see the cruisers on Sundays.........jaja.

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:00 pm

Pedro wrote:hey bob,if yer interested in real off road riders talk to jesus the insurance guy. he belongs to a group that regularly ride to pv,etc. all the way on dirt.
so tell us what roadster ya got here coonboy

Well I'm not looking to do the Baja 500. I plan on primarily being on the highways however there is always a back road to explore. I took my van over the mountain behind Mazamitla a few months back and it was a blast (although the van would disagree). I thought it would have been a great time on a suitable bike.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

Back to top Go down

Post by ltollefs Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:10 pm

CanuckBob wrote:If the KLR can be lowered by 3" then I would certainly be interested in one. I currently have my eye on a new Indian Scout however I can certainly see the advantages of a dual purpose bike around here. There are hundreds of km's of logging roads up and around Mazamitla that would be worth exploring. Maybe I'll have to hit the Kawi dealer and check it out.

The KLR comes in two flavors: 2007 and older with no issues worth mentioning except for the cam chain tensioner. It has been known to fail. It's fairly easy to replace. Then there's the 2008 and later models. The upgrades are mostly cosmetic but they did fix the chain tensioner and give it a little more power. 2008 & 2009 models are know to burn oil. A new 2015 KLR bought here cost almost twice what does in Canada. Something to do with trade agreement between MX and JP. If I were looking for a KLR I would try to find a good 2007. I had a 2004 for 8 years and had no problems with it. They're near bullet proof.
ltollefs
ltollefs
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:29 pm

I just looked at the Kawi.MX site and the new KLR is selling for $9,200.00 USD or $10,856.00 CDN. That would include all taxes and fees. The Canadian site shows the same bike for $6900.00 CDN plus $380 handling fee plus GST & PST (13%) for a total of $8226.00 CDN. So while it is more, it is not double and quite frankly I wouldn't want to go through the importing process which would probably make it nearly the same price anyhow.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:32 pm

Do they have a motorcycle designation for the license down here? If so, what is required for the add-on (I already have a Jalisco DL). I do have the motorcycle designation on my Canadian license.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:40 pm

CanuckBob wrote:
Pedro wrote:smart group riders slow down when they can't see what's ahead and the lead rider sticks a leg out when he sees a hole. you know zilch about riding around here when you say dual sports are favoured. you are on the wrong board now to spout your usual bullshit,coonboy. oh, and my helmet is a police helmet made in italy and is worn by some cops in canada and no doubt in the us too, go straighten them out-jaja!

While I wouldn't know if they are favored, there are thousands of dual purpose bikes on the highways in Mexico. Far more than I ever saw in Canada. I see them everywhere on my travels around central Mexico. I usually only see the cruisers on Sundays.........jaja.
yeah,ventos because they're cheap and lets not ferget the thousands more 125's and scooters. there were over 5000 motos at that evento near magdellena on domingo, the majority being roadsters and crotch rockets.
Pedro
Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:47 pm

CanuckBob wrote:Do they have a motorcycle designation for the license down here? If so, what is required for the add-on (I already have a Jalisco DL). I do have the motorcycle designation on my Canadian license.
you need a seperate moto lic. in jalisco . i have chofer and moto. ya need chofer if ya drive a pick-up.
Pedro
Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:48 pm

Dual purpose bikes aren't often seen at bike shows whether here or NOB. I guess those guys are off riding versus sitting around drinking beer and showing off their bikes.......jajaja.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:50 pm

Pedro wrote:
CanuckBob wrote:Do they have a motorcycle designation for the license down here? If so, what is required for the add-on (I already have a Jalisco DL). I do have the motorcycle designation on my Canadian license.
you need a seperate moto lic. in jalisco . i have chofer and moto. ya need chofer if ya drive a pick-up.

It's a completely separate card or is it an add on designation to your Chofer card?
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:52 pm

completely seperate. i carry both in my wallet
Pedro
Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:16 pm

So what is required for the bike license. Written and road test or simply pay the fee?
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:30 pm

i got special treatment-nudge nudge. i do think ya gotta do the tests though fer yer first one. they will supply with a moto in guadalajara.
i don't know if they have a moto fer the tests in ocotlan.
Pedro
Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:27 pm

CanuckBob wrote:Dual purpose bikes aren't often seen at bike shows whether here or NOB. I guess those guys are off riding versus sitting around drinking beer and showing off their bikes.......jajaja.
eventos aren't bike "shows". there are between 10,000 an 20,000 motos at the international meet in mazatlan in the spring  from all over mexico,us and canada. even our little pissant evento in chapala had people from all over mexico. unfortunately the last two presidentes weren't biker friendly and the thing has tanked. yer almost as bad as coonboy knowledge-wise bob-jaja!

2011-3000+ motos for the 4th aniversary invitation of hermanos del lago mc
Pedro
Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:51 pm

They are bike shows, or rally's if you prefer, plain and simple. Just like Sturgis and the such are giant bike shows. You don't see many dual purpose bikes there either. Hanging out on the Chapala malecon on Sunday afternoons or taking the odd ride around the lake does not make one an expert. Touring all over this beautiful country would be a good start. I put on thousands of miles up north on every style of bike made (other than a dual purpose). Get a grip will ya........jajaja.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:04 pm

jaja! look again at the vid and see dual purpose. ya got ta go almost 9 years ta out expert me or the other guys on sundays even more including dualies. one of our members who rides a beemer dualie has 2 cabins in mazamitla and he's mexican and retired because he got lotsa bucks and can ride anything he wants.-jaja! most bikers i know who are more physically able than moi ride long distances regular,even gringos all over this country. i do what i can and that's all. there are eventos everywhere in mexico.
Pedro
Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:43 pm

here's some more guys ya kin make fun of bob. renegados-17 chapters came here a few years ago for their annual meeting from as far away as tijuana,juarez and nuevo loredo-short rides eh!. there is a chapter in guadalajara.
Comments about motorcycles - Page 2 Did_we10
Pedro
Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Mainecoons Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:18 pm

All we have to do is look at that picture to figure out how smart you are, Pedro.  You're an accident in waiting.  Just keep drinking and riding.  LOL

Yes, Bob they have a separate license here for motos.  However you can ride on your current Canadian license if it covers motos.

Another good bike to look at is to find an F700GS lowered.  It's actually 800 ccs and can be lowered as well.  It runs better at the higher highway speeds and corners really well.

I've seen a lowered one advertised on a Mexican site so I know they exist.  Worse case you can get someone to bring you down a lowering kit from NOB if you find a nice one.

I'd shop used for a KLR Bob.  There are a lot of nice low mileage bikes in and around GDL.  It just takes a little work to find them.

Mainecoons
Mainecoons
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Mad Magazine

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:07 am

Dual purpose bikes are great but not for folks like me who have a 29" inseam. I can't touch the ground on many of these bikes with boots on. So be aware if you have short legs like me.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by kiko Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:18 am

Seat Concepts lowered seat (-1") and a rear shock link (-1") and then drop the forks 1 1/2" and you've lowered the suspension about 2".

The mistake most riders make is that they try to lower a bike 3" with an extreme rear shock link (-3) and in effect they have compromised the suspension action, it becomes sort of like a pogo stick.

The smaller BMWs have a low seat height and also the Suzuki DR650 can be adjusted low as the rear shock has a provision to lower it from the factory.
kiko
kiko
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:13 am

Zedinmexico wrote:Dual purpose bikes are great but not for folks like me who have a 29" inseam.  I can't touch the ground on many of these bikes with boots on.  So be aware if you have short legs like me.

Z
you got that right. a while ago this dude came to our gathering place and when he went to get off his moto it fell over on him. needless ta say we ain't seen him since-SNORK!
Pedro
Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by motoman123 Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:50 am

the klr is a great moto for Mexico, lightweight and plenty of suspension I just legalized mine , they are great bikes for solo riding but when it comes to 2 up it gets a little crowded. I have been doing more 2 up since joining the los Gueros m c club they do more riding than just standing around,great bunch of folks, I am thinking about buying a bigger bike so soon my 97 well cared for KLR might be going for sale, damn I love that bike and it like a Timex it just keeps on ticking and it is very forgiving
best regards

motoman123

Back to top Go down

Post by Mainecoons Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:36 pm

Maybe you should just keep it and use it for some off pavement riding. It would be a bit cozy for two up. :)
Mainecoons
Mainecoons
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Mad Magazine

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2