INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Controversial route from the U.S. Nogales, AZ verses Laredo, TX

+13
thomashellyer
Zedinmexico
helohfe
Pedro
gringal
gvprod
Woody
David
CanuckBob
slainte39
Intercasa
oncesubtle
viajero
17 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Controversial route from the U.S. Nogales, AZ verses Laredo, TX Empty Controversial route from the U.S. Nogales, AZ verses Laredo, TX

Post by tictoc Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:31 am

So with all the controversy in my other post with the route that I decided to drive, I have finally had time to do some actual in-depth research on the topic. What I found was a 3 hour, 195 mile difference from driving through Nogales, AZ verses Laredo, TX. Yes I could go trough California and save 2 more hours IF I don't get stuck in traffic (not worth the risk IMO). Here are the two on google maps Nogales Laredo
So now that I have actually posted this up, you keyboard cowboys can feel free to comment on the benefits of one VS the other. For me, I really don't see what all the hostility was all about. It is a 5-6 day trip with 8-12 hours a day of driving no matter what way you go. SO what is the big deal!!? Why does it really matter what way I decide to go? I agree that the Nogalas route might have better scenery (coastal) but that is about the only benefit that I can see... So what does it matter? Dead Horse

tictoc
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Controversial route from the U.S. Nogales, AZ verses Laredo, TX Empty Re: Controversial route from the U.S. Nogales, AZ verses Laredo, TX

Post by viajero Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:43 am

tictoc wrote:Why does it really matter what way I decide to go?
It doesn't matter in the least.

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Twain

Back to top Go down

Controversial route from the U.S. Nogales, AZ verses Laredo, TX Empty Re: Controversial route from the U.S. Nogales, AZ verses Laredo, TX

Post by oncesubtle Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:52 am

You may be pleased to know 99.9% of the population here doesn't give a rip which route you take. Just want you to have a safe and enjoyable trip.
oncesubtle
oncesubtle

Humor : After 2nd cup of coffee

Back to top Go down

Post by Intercasa Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:25 am

Well if you are coming from California, Nogales may make more sense, if you are coming from Florida, then maybe not.
Intercasa
Intercasa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Barbed wit

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:30 am

I think you are amplifying the concern anyone on this board has. The concern probably lasted about as long as it took them to write the message here, if they had any real concern at all.
Hey....it's your vehicle, your time........your choice. (it just wasn't the tune the choir director asked for) Very Happy

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:13 am

I think a few people took offence that you didn't want to "overnight" in Mexico and were in fact going out of your way to avoid doing so.......IMO. But like the others have already stated, most could care less. Have a nice trip!!

CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by David Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:57 am

Those of us who've come from the Western parts of the USA and Canada have mostly all crossed at Nogales. A few miles past the border you'll find the place (Km21?) to get your vehicle sticker, the straight to Hwy 15 which you take all the way to Guadalajara. It's very direct and easy. A pleasant drive too.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Good

Back to top Go down

Post by Woody Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:09 pm

Saddle up Tictoc and have fun on the way ! Wishing you guys a safe journey free of any issues. Take it easy and enjoy.
Woody
Woody
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Satire

Back to top Go down

Post by gvprod Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:29 pm

fly.....its faster and safer
gvprod
gvprod
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : live today like no one else, so tomorrow you can live like no one else

http://www.lathmedia.com

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Fri Jun 12, 2015 3:17 pm

If you don't want anybody to see your laundry, don't hang on the line for everyone to see.

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Fri Jun 12, 2015 4:35 pm

gvprod wrote:fly.....its faster and safer

If I recall, they had a bunch of pets involved. A whole 'nother matter.
Safe journey, folks, whichever way you get here.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:35 pm

pets and "children". sheesh!
Pedro
Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by tictoc Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:42 pm

CanuckBob wrote:I think a few people took offence that you didn't want to "overnight" in Mexico and were in fact going out of your way to avoid doing so.......IMO. But like the others have already stated, most could care less. Have a nice trip!!

I guess my point is, I don't see that I am going out of my way at all. The two seem the same to me...?

tictoc
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by helohfe Sat Jun 13, 2015 6:29 am

Sounds like we have guy who is similar to our local authority MC..Lets hope not!!!!

helohfe
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Sat Jun 13, 2015 7:38 am

tictoc wrote:
CanuckBob wrote:I think a few people took offence that you didn't want to "overnight" in Mexico and were in fact going out of your way to avoid doing so.......IMO. But like the others have already stated, most could care less. Have a nice trip!!

I guess my point is, I don't see that I am going out of my way at all. The two seem the same to me...?

Tictoc, I am not sure how you did your calculation however my Garmin GPS driving system differs with your results:

Portland to Nogales = 2436kms  22h 44m
Nogales to Chapala = 1696kms  21h 16m

Total = 4132kms  43 hours

Portland to Laredo = 3815kms  35h 57m
Laredo to Chapala = 1142kms  13h 44m

Total = 4957kms  50 hours

This is in line to what the others, who have actually driven both routes, have been telling you. About a 7 or 8 hour difference.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Sat Jun 13, 2015 7:47 am

Actually you can cross at Lukeville Arizona and take 2 east to 15 and avoid Phoenix and Nogales totally.  Do not leave route 2 as some drug running near the border but 2 is safe.  Customs/Immigration is about 20KM east on route two another customs stop about an hour east of Lukeville. We have driven this route three times from Seattle and prefer this to Nogales crossing.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by tictoc Sat Jun 13, 2015 9:24 am

CanuckBob wrote:
tictoc wrote:

Tictoc, I am not sure how you did your calculation however my Garmin GPS driving system differs with your results:

This is in line to what the others, who have actually driven both routes, have been telling you. About a 7 or 8 hour difference.
The two links that I provided in my OP are how I calculated the route (google). I'm not saying it is correct and that is why I have posted looking for information, not just to be confrontational (however, I did leave the door open this time). So I guess now another question (that I haves seen others ask) becomes, who has better maps and traffic, Google or Garmin? I will be running both with live traffic. Do you have live traffic on your Garmin? I know looking at google traffic is why I have no desire to go through California... Is your Nogalas route through California?

tictoc
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by tictoc Sat Jun 13, 2015 9:36 am

Actually, looking at your data closer, Larado seem off. Google says P+N+C+ 43hrs, P+L+C=45hrs...

tictoc
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Sat Jun 13, 2015 9:37 am

Woody wrote:Saddle up Tictoc and have fun on the way !  
Saddle up indeed...he could hire some burros and come down thru the Sierra Madre Occidental,it would require some "overnighting" in Mexico though.

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Twain

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Sat Jun 13, 2015 9:57 am

tictoc wrote:
CanuckBob wrote:
tictoc wrote:

The two links that I provided in my OP are how I calculated the route (google). I'm not saying it is correct and that is why I have posted looking for information, not just to be confrontational (however, I did leave the door open this time). So I guess now another question (that I haves seen others ask) becomes, who has better maps and traffic, Google or Garmin? I will be running both with live traffic. Do you have live traffic on your Garmin? I know looking at google traffic is why I have no desire to go through California... Is your Nogalas route through California?

Garmin is programed to calculate the quickest routes based on the highways and known speed limits. Yes, it has live traffic. In both cases it has you taking the I-5 down through California and then across to either Nogales or further south/east to Laredo. I see your Google Maps has you cutting across Utah and what not, hence the lower mileage. I suspect this may be lower mileage but slower roads. I have never driven either so can't comment any further. I was just trying to relay what Garmin says about both routes.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by tictoc Sat Jun 13, 2015 10:09 am

CanuckBob wrote:
tictoc wrote:
CanuckBob wrote:
tictoc wrote:

Garmin is programed to calculate the quickest routes based on the highways and known speed limits. Yes, it has live traffic. In both cases it has you taking the I-5 down through California and then across to either Nogales or further south/east to Laredo. I see your Google Maps has you cutting across Utah and what not, hence the lower mileage. I suspect this may be lower mileage but slower roads. I have never driven either so can't comment any further. I was just trying to relay what Garmin says about both routes.

Well, I will completely agree that going through California to get to Laredo would be completely out of the way. It seems to me that your Garmin is not picking up the shortest or fastest route from Portland to Laredo. It is all freeway and freeway speeds. Also ALLOT less construction advisories...

tictoc
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Sat Jun 13, 2015 10:09 am

viajero wrote:
Saddle up indeed...he could hire some burros and come down thru the Sierra Madre Occidental,it would require some "overnighting" in Mexico though.

I can't help but chuckle over this whole thread since it doesn't take a lot of insight to guess that "overnighting in Mexico" is likely a big part of the issue.   Wouldn't be greatly surprised if there were a return trip before a year is up.  One thing about reading these forums for nearly 11 years of living in Mexico, you pick up on which folks are going to love it, hate it or just put up with the way things are in Mexico;  who's likely to go back NOB and who's not.

I think it could be fun to have a contest along those lines similar to "when does the rainy season start" with ponies given to the winners.  I would have lost the bet on how long the beloved MC cat would stay; I figured about 2 years, but dang, he's hanging in there like a trooper.  I remember well how I was introduced to Mexico.  My husband had spent vacation times here and was hot to live here. Not me.  I had to have my California woman hands pried loose but finally made a deal with said spouse that I'd give it a year, to be renewed annually.  Still here.  Been back one time for a funeral over a year ago and couldn't wait to come Home.  Still not fond of cobblestones, potholes and crooked cops, though.
lol!

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by tictoc Sat Jun 13, 2015 10:35 am

gringal wrote:
viajero wrote:

I can't help but chuckle over this whole thread since it doesn't take a lot of insight to guess that "overnighting in Mexico" is likely a big part of the issue.   Wouldn't be greatly surprised if there were a return trip before a year is up.  One thing about reading these forums for nearly 11 years of living in Mexico, you pick up on which folks are going to love it, hate it or just put up with the way things are in Mexico;  who's likely to go back NOB and who's not.

I think it could be fun to have a contest along those lines similar to "when does the rainy season start" with ponies given to the winners.  I would have lost the bet on how long the beloved MC cat would stay; I figured about 2 years, but dang, he's hanging in there like a trooper.  I remember well how I was introduced to Mexico.  My husband had spent vacation times here and was hot to live here. Not me.  I had to have my California woman hands pried loose but finally made a deal with said spouse that I'd give it a year, to be renewed annually.  Still here.  Been back one time for a funeral over a year ago and couldn't wait to come Home.  Still not fond of cobblestones, potholes and crooked cops, though.
lol!
OK,OK, NOT THAT IT IS ANYONE'S BUSINESS but there are other people in the world than those taking this trip. Unfortunately, some of them don't know anything about Mexico other than what they see on CNN... Unfortunately we are dealing with one of those people and a custody issue. So in an attempt to get along, I decided to go through Laredo! I'm sorry to tell you but you could not be more wrong about us!!! We are not 70 years old and looking to the end of life... We are 38,40 and have to deal with small children and all that comes with it and are looking to live a better life. So your insite into us and what we face, is about 30 years off!!!

tictoc
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Sat Jun 13, 2015 11:05 am

Anyone who has read your posts knows that you are younger people traveling with children and pets, with high hopes for a better life. Better than, and in what way, only you know.

However, you are making assumptions about our assumptions, and that in itself is good for another chuckle.  Sorry.....can't help it.

As I said, we moved here over ten years ago BEFORE all the headlines about violence, etc. and, just the same as practically everyone we know who has lived here awhile experienced, all our friends and relatives were appalled at the idea of moving to such a dangerous place.  My own son assured me that there were gangs of Mexicans who would periodically go around and kill all the foreigners with machetes.  Where did this information come from?  He then said "everyone knows it".  So "everyone" still knows something like that and it's a shame that you're stuck with dealing with one of them.  The only cure for that is time and experience.

Please update us on how well you and your family like it here .....after you've settled in for a while.  Mexico is full of surprises, no matter what your age is. I hope your surprises are good ones.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by thomashellyer Sat Jun 13, 2015 1:10 pm

You'll be fine either way. Nogales is quicker all together. Laredo is quicker within Mexico. We've driven both routes from/to Washington, I personally prefer Nogales as I find the scenery nicer along the Pacific coast rather than the desserts in Texas... have a great trip.

thomashellyer

Humor : punny

http://www.chapalahomesales.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next