INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Controversial route from the U.S. Nogales, AZ verses Laredo, TX

+13
thomashellyer
Zedinmexico
helohfe
Pedro
gringal
gvprod
Woody
David
CanuckBob
slainte39
Intercasa
oncesubtle
viajero
17 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Controversial route from the U.S. Nogales, AZ verses Laredo, TX - Page 2 Empty Re: Controversial route from the U.S. Nogales, AZ verses Laredo, TX

Post by thomashellyer Sat Jun 13, 2015 1:10 pm

You'll be fine either way. Nogales is quicker all together. Laredo is quicker within Mexico. We've driven both routes from/to Washington, I personally prefer Nogales as I find the scenery nicer along the Pacific coast rather than the desserts in Texas... have a great trip.

thomashellyer

http://www.chapalahomesales.com

Back to top Go down

Controversial route from the U.S. Nogales, AZ verses Laredo, TX - Page 2 Empty Re: Controversial route from the U.S. Nogales, AZ verses Laredo, TX

Post by David Sat Jun 13, 2015 1:12 pm

Never the less, if you're all going to live here you'll have to get used to "overnighting" in Mexico!
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Good

Back to top Go down

Post by RVGRINGO Sat Jun 13, 2015 1:39 pm

I have driven from Portland to Texas via the desert route through Indian country back in our RV days. The roads were good and the scenery interesting. It is a very direct route and we took it because I had just been released from hospital in Portland and needed to get to our usual winter location to recover. Since we were driving a motor home, I cannot suggest motels along that route. However, I do suggest that you spend one night in Mexico after crossing at Laredo. Matehuela is a good choice if you take the cuota. Zacatecas is an excellent option if you use the libre 54 to Guadalajara. Be rested, be safe. Both places have good hotels and restaurants with secure parking, anthough with pets, you may have to search for moteles de paso that might accept you.

RVGRINGO
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Sat Jun 13, 2015 1:42 pm

RVGRINGO wrote:I have driven from Portland to Texas via the desert route through Indian country back in our RV days. The roads were good and the scenery interesting. It is a very direct route and we took it because I had just been released from hospital in Portland and needed to get to our usual winter location to recover.  Since we were driving a motor home, I cannot suggest motels along that route. However, I do suggest that you spend one night in Mexico after crossing at Laredo. Matehuela is a good choice if you take the cuota. Zacatecas is an excellent option if you use the libre 54 to Guadalajara.  Be rested, be safe. Both places have good hotels and restaurants with secure parking, anthough with pets, you may have to search for moteles de paso that might accept you.

Matehuela is a good one. Nice facilities such as a swimming pool, decent restaurant and you can park right next to your unit.
I've heard they accept pets, but may be wrong. Maybe the poster had a "sneaker" dog.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by RickS Sat Jun 13, 2015 2:18 pm

Please be advised that not all of us will recommend taking the libre road from Zacatecas to Guadalajara.... in fact I've only seen RV recommend it. Although it looks like a short cut, it is just as fast (but with more tolls) to drive through Aguascaliente and then into eastern Guadalajara.

If you take the 54 libre be ready for a slow and very winding 2-lane road with potential truck traffic much of the way. And once you get to Guadalajara it dumps one out onto the far north side of that city. If that's where you casa is located, fine. Otherwise you'll have to traverse the heart of the city on streets 'not made for traversing'. As a first time visitor/driver and one at the end of an otherwise very long journey, do youself a favor and don't.

RickS
RickS
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by RVGRINGO Sat Jun 13, 2015 2:27 pm

OK, that “winding 2-lane road“ is only the very last little bit as you enter Guadalajara through the area of the gorge. The scenery is spctacular. Then, once in the city, traffic flows quite well, straight through, with easy to follow signage to the airport, which you pass by on the way to Chapala.
It is faster than going via Aguascalientes, which we did just once.
Either route is acceptable, but the difference will depend upon your driving style and skill, budget for tolls, and desire to see more of Mexico than the view from a superhighway.

RVGRINGO
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by RickS Sat Jun 13, 2015 2:51 pm

We'll just have to agree to disagree on the advisability of driving that road and also how much of it is curvey. I've driven it and the other route 'lately', am not afraid of mountaneous and twisty roads as I live in Colorado, but I won't recommend it to anyone unless they are looking for a slower scenic drive, which it is.

No offense RV, we just don't agree on that road.
RickS
RickS
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Woody Sat Jun 13, 2015 2:59 pm

TicToc is pulling a pretty good size enclosed trailer as well.. unless his plans have changed.

Woody
Woody
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Satire

Back to top Go down

Post by RVGRINGO Sat Jun 13, 2015 3:16 pm

True. If the trailer is heavy, I would take the cuota for that trip. Otherwise, I like the scenic routes better. I am in no hurry.

RVGRINGO
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by tictoc Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:11 pm

Thank you very much everyone. The tone of this post has gone to were I hoped it would be from the start. Yes I am pulling a heavy trailer and that in one of the factors in what route I take so this is invaluable information. I don't have time to look at topical maps to bring that data into my decisions so thanks!!!

tictoc
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by shirley Sat Jun 13, 2015 7:42 pm

We make this trip four times a year....from Laredo to Guad and vice versa. From the US we personally like to go to Saltillo and spend the night - Holiday Inn Express, don't know if they take pets..nice hotel breakfast included (check prices for crappy hotels in Laredo, same as this nice hotel) then onto HWY 54 to Zacatecas, toll to Aguascalientes, periferico around town, back on toll all the way to Guad..easy trip, especially with trailer. We too used to not want to spend the night in Mexico as usually travelling with a car and/or trailer full of goods, but have found this hotel to be more than acceptable and I feel safer than in Laredo, TX!
http://www.expedia.mx/Saltillo-Hoteles-Holiday-Inn-Express-Saltillo-Zona-Aeropuerto.h1990342.Informacion-Hotel?rfrr=Redirect.From.www.expedia.com/Saltillo-Hotels-Holiday-Inn-Express-Saltillo-Zona-Aeropuerto.h1990342.Hotel-Information
shirley
shirley

Back to top Go down

Post by tictoc Sat Jun 13, 2015 9:26 pm

I just checked and both my primary and backup route through Laredo, have us coming into Guadalajara on 80. I believe this is the recommended route with the trailer, Yes?
Thanks for the recommendation on Saltillo and Matehuela. If we stay the night, We will surly choose one of them. But Fortunately the Judge has granted us to have the child drive (flew in just now) with us so at this point I am still planning on not sleeping over.

tictoc
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Woody Sat Jun 13, 2015 11:38 pm

TicToc, if you cross at Laredo then consider using bridge III , aka the Colombia Solidarity Bridge.

www.cityoflaredo.com/bridgesys/Bridges.html

Much less traffic and bypass Laredo proper.

The toll (cuota) road into East side of Guadalajara I believe is 80D.. but others can confirm.
Woody
Woody
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Satire

Back to top Go down

Post by tictoc Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:46 am

Woody wrote:TicToc, if you cross at Laredo then consider using bridge III , aka the Colombia Solidarity Bridge.

www.cityoflaredo.com/bridgesys/Bridges.html

Much less traffic and bypass Laredo proper.

The toll (cuota) road into East side of Guadalajara I believe is 80D.. but others can confirm.
So lets say I use bridge III instead of bridge II. Is there a good peso exchange close? What about TAMPS, were do I go to get our paperwork done (I have a TIP and Menaj De Casa already)? Do I take 1 down or cross over on 2?

tictoc
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2