INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

why DO people leave?

+42
Trailrunner
David
Aer-
holdrja
UrbanMan
ltollefs
islandiver
Nosnow
MexicoPete
twelveoaks
mazdee
papa chango
Lost Dog
suegarn
Lady Otter Latté
ferret
espíritu del lago
Semalu
coffeeguy
Smartalex
Zedinmexico
Perritonegro
Rockerfeller
windrider17
Jim W
brigitte
Pedro
slainte39
kiko
oncesubtle
Clueless
Chapalagringa
Rubia
jrm30655
zenwoodle
hockables
viajero
Playaboy
gringomojado
Intercasa
CanuckBob
gringal
46 posters

Page 1 of 7 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

why DO people leave? Empty why DO people leave?

Post by gringal Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:38 pm

For those who haven't read it over on TOB, there's a multi-page discussion which veered around the topic like a drunk driver on an icy road, but some truth did sneak out. I'm curious about the subject myself, since it's a helluva lot of work to get organized for a move to a foreign country in the first place, and the research needed is time consuming.  So, having reached a decision and packed up and moved somewhere hereabouts,  what does it take to cause people to pack it all up again (or not) and head back to where they came from?
Let's hope any answers stick to "why leave?" rather than boosterism for Mexico's advantages.  We know about that already.

I'm thinking that we might get different answers on here about why you or people you have known head back "home" for reasons other than the obvious ones:  health insurance needs or can't live without family. (or getting a free plane trip courtesy of the law catching up with you)

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

why DO people leave? Empty Re: why DO people leave?

Post by CanuckBob Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:51 pm

I think most people leave primarily for medical reasons, particularly Canadians who can get government healthcare back in Canada. That would be the reason I would leave 25 or so years from now. I wouldn't want to bankrupt myself or have to go mooching, paying out of pocket here in Mexico, like I see a few people doing.

I can also see where the "quaintness" of Lake Chapala could also wear off after some time. If it does for me I would seek other places in Mexico or further south.

And then there are the "whiners" who we would all like to see leave. I can think of a few of those. Just go read that thread on TOB.......jaja.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:28 pm

I think that beyond the health care and missing family reason, people leave because they didn't do enough research and had unrealistic expectations, or can't adapt to the fact that they can't change Mexico to suit their preferences.
Y'know, like yelling at clerks because said clerk doesn't speak English.

The "quaintness" of the cobblestones and "charming buildings" needing constant maintenance wears off fast if you're dealing with them (sigh), but not bad enough to want the U.S. suburbs, flat sidewalks and lunch at Nordstoms, for me.
lol.

We did a lot of research first and found most of the "warts" ahead of time, so no big surprises. Anyone who doesn't do that is very likely to hit the virtual topes here hard and perhaps head back NOB from sheer culture shock.

Then, there are those who feel they will live longer and healthier under U.S. (or Canadian)medical care in their old age.  That depends on what's wrong with them or is likely to be, based on a lot of factors. If a person is obese, inactive and has a few unhealthy habits, they absolutely will be sick in their old age.  It also depends on how much faith they have in the U.S. or Canada's system.  That's how Medivac makes a living.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Intercasa Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:54 pm

Why do people leave here?

Here are the reasons clients tell me

Death - they just die and leave in an urn or pine box

Better or cheaper medical care in their home country

To die with their family around them

Sick of the petty thievery

Sick of lazy public officials

Cant take the high altitude for medical reasons

Fear of crime and lazy police / prosecutor and little investigation for deterrence for crimes

Sick of police shakedowns

Sick of their family nagging them about living in Mexico

Nobody trustworthy to care for them and pay their bills without tappin the till as they have no family and few friends

Cannot qualify for the higher immigration financial requirements

Cant keep their foreign plated car

Poor financial management (theirs) and the lack of a Mexican welfare system for the poor

Being pursued by criminals

Being pursued by creditors who know where they live and can attempt to attach assets

Couldnt adapt to life without their home country creature comforts

People running from the law in Mexico

There are probably more but I cant recall everyones story or comments
Intercasa
Intercasa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Barbed wit

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Thu Jun 18, 2015 3:15 pm

That probably covers it, Spencer.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringomojado Thu Jun 18, 2015 3:17 pm

lackanookie?
gringomojado
gringomojado
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Thu Jun 18, 2015 3:31 pm

gringomojado wrote:lackanookie?

You jest, si?

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Playaboy Thu Jun 18, 2015 3:56 pm

After spending the last 2 years Lakeside, I recently left.  I didn't go back to the States but stayed in Mexico, went back to Playa Del Carmen and the Riviera Maya.  It is nearly impossible to compare the 2 places, there is so much more here for me.

Why did I go?  There are a lots of reasons I left.  If I wrote them out people would get offended and take it personally.  Bottom line, being a non-drinking single man there wasn't much for me to do there.  In fact, I found myself just plan bored.  

I love the beach, the lack of clothes you wear and that overall younger vibe.

There is more to life than just the weather.  Lakeside just wasn't for me at this time in my life.  Maybe it will be in my future.

Playaboy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Thu Jun 18, 2015 4:07 pm

Your reasons are very good, Playaboy, considering that you are a young, single guy. But you're still in Mexico, eh?

If it weren't so hot and humid at the beaches, I'd be there instead. Always lived on the coast NOB.

The question was not about Lakeside in particular, but about leaving Mexico after
moving from NOB.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Thu Jun 18, 2015 4:19 pm

gringal wrote:

You jest, si?
He must be jesting,he works or worked in Guadalajara,plenty of nookie here. Very Happy

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Twain

Back to top Go down

Post by hockables Thu Jun 18, 2015 5:15 pm

Even a blind squirrel gets an acorn once in a while....

If I were wanting to leave, I imagine it would be a desire for greener pastures....  maybe Costa Rica, Spain, Malta...  Beer

Beer

Beer

Beer

Nahhhh...
hockables
hockables
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by zenwoodle Thu Jun 18, 2015 5:49 pm

I don't really know, and I hope I can never answer that question. Beer
zenwoodle
zenwoodle
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sarcastic, but nobody seems to get it

Back to top Go down

Post by gringomojado Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:19 pm

The most beautiful women in the world are Mexican, and the most beautiful Mexican women are Tapatias, so maybe people leave because of the lack of fishing in Lake Chapala?
gringomojado
gringomojado
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringomojado Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:21 pm

viajero wrote:
gringal wrote:

You jest, si?
He must be jesting,he works or worked in Guadalajara,plenty of nookie here. Very Happy

The most beautiful women in the world are Mexican, and the most beautiful Mexican women are Tapatias, so maybe people leave because of the lack of fishing in Lake Chapala?

People don't desert Guadalajara!
gringomojado
gringomojado
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:02 pm

Playaboy wrote:After spending the last 2 years Lakeside, I recently left.  I didn't go back to the States but stayed in Mexico, went back to Playa Del Carmen and the Riviera Maya.  It is nearly impossible to compare the 2 places, there is so much more here for me.

Why did I go?  There are a lots of reasons I left.  If I wrote them out people would get offended and take it personally.  Bottom line, being a non-drinking single man there wasn't much for me to do there.  In fact, I found myself just plan bored.  

I love the beach, the lack of clothes you wear and that overall younger vibe.

There is more to life than just the weather.  Lakeside just wasn't for me at this time in my life.  Maybe it will be in my future.

I have a 47 year old single friend who just moved to PV a few months ago and is loving it. Far more younger people and younger stuff to do there. If I was single I would probably go there too.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringomojado Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:11 pm

So, lackanookie it is?
gringomojado
gringomojado
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:13 pm

I understand there is if you are interested in the 30 to 50 year olds, don't speak good Spanish and don't just want to be a sugar daddy for some 20 year old.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Intercasa Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:54 pm

Girls are tough in the Guadalajara area (Chapala is worse), it is a bit more of a closed society and it isnt as easy to make friends as it is in other places in Mexico. Its not like Colombia and Cuba where you literally need to fight them off with a stick. Many locals arent impressed by foreigners (youd be surprised how many obscene and indecent proposals they get) and prefer bad situations with locals than something better with a foreigner. You need to go to Guadalajara where there is more variety and women with a bit more education who will give you a chance and see what you have to offer (you better have something to offer or else get lots of 20 pesos bills and hit the strip club) or otherwise you can compete with the other foreigners who dont want to drive to Guad and flirt with the single mom tapatias that go to Barco on the weekends looking for a meal ticket.
Intercasa
Intercasa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by jrm30655 Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:02 pm

I was running through my mental list of people missing over the past 7 years. Probably 50% went in a coffin, most of the rest because of medical problems. I know one couple that left just after the 16 bodies were found close to here.

Of the 11 I can think of 5 are dead, 4 medical and 2 drug violence.

I could be wrong but I just don't see a lot of new faces, especially permanent people.

Occasionally the little annoyances get to me and I get on the computer and look around but where is better?

jrm30655
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Rubia Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:13 pm

Occasionally the little annoyances get to me and I get on the computer and look around but where is better? wrote:

Exactly, JRM. You gotta live somewhere. The little annoyances are all around us all the time. It's the attitude you take with you in your shitcase that makes the difference.
PS Albuquerque is hot and dusty.

Rubia

Humor : Straight up, slightly dirty, two olives.

Back to top Go down

Post by Chapalagringa Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:09 pm

I think this has been thought of all wrong.  Who started these threads, a news reporter?  Why does anyone move. period.  I have friends from my home state in Northern California.  They moved to their dream retirement home in Florida.  They were there for several years enjoying a beautiful water front home with a screened in pool, boat dock and sailing etc etc.  Now they can't wait to sell that place and move to the islands.  I think people leave cause they get bored and want a new adventure while they can.  Even if it's to return home and hang with the grand-babies or whatever.   Either that or they're adventured out and now they can say they did it.  Living life without regrets.  They can impress their friends at home that never went anywhere with how cultured they are.  Even with their forever gringo accent with the few words they learned.  Thumbs up
Chapalagringa
Chapalagringa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : all natural

Back to top Go down

Post by Clueless Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:36 pm

I think C-Bob hit on #1. Medical reasons, either immediate or fearing something will arise "soon."

And a totally unsubstantiated guess would be some come here to live cheaply and when they hit the age where they can get Medicare, the go back.

So this is a "straw survey" just for the purpose of conversation. Sometimes it's just interesting to talk about "things" of no critical importance.

I'm 10+ years here and know medical can be a gamble, however IMO, the overall quality of life is better than NOB.

Question for Spencer: Would you consider leaving and way? And lets assume your wife and baby could come w/you NOB.
Clueless
Clueless
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Intercasa Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:54 pm

I would only leave if stuff got real rough crime wise but then again if one isnt greedy and stays below the radar there shouldnt be a problem but also it sucks to work hard and have to live like a pauper due to fear when the authorities dont do their job. Im kind of from the school where they can take me back in a pine box after they pry the gun from my cold dead hand as people need to grow balls or else we will have WWII Germany over again and the bad controlling the good although my wife wants me alive, well at least for now that is.
Intercasa
Intercasa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:47 am

Over the past 2 1/2 years we have had over 20 guests in our B&B that have since moved here and I just had two couples that are going to move here soon. They are about 70% US citizens (believe it or not). Quite a few were from the pacific northwest.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by oncesubtle Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:49 am

Three of our four apartments have recently be rented long term by folks who are retiring here. As to moving back I'd say health issues would be #1.
oncesubtle
oncesubtle

Humor : After 2nd cup of coffee

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 7 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next