INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Registering a U.S. Purchased vehicle

5 posters

Go down

Registering a U.S. Purchased vehicle  Empty Registering a U.S. Purchased vehicle

Post by SLDavis Sat Aug 15, 2015 2:48 pm

I'm just starting my research on a possible move to the Lake Chapala area. My move won't be until spring 2017. I will probably obtain a Temporary Resident Visa and stay for four years, at which time I will decide if I will return to the states or apply for a Permanent Resident Visa. In the meantime, I'm looking to purchase a new vehicle, the smallest pickup truck I can find that I will probably be able to eventually register in MX. Any words of wisdom as to which manufacturers to avoid? Which to seriously consider? I'm open to any manufacturer as long as I can probably, eventually register it in MX. Thx.

SLDavis

Back to top Go down

Registering a U.S. Purchased vehicle  Empty Re: Registering a U.S. Purchased vehicle

Post by Jim W Sat Aug 15, 2015 3:10 pm

Welcome to the BOARD SLDavis. The laws regarding vehicles is changing more often than some people change underwear..... lol! Registering a U.S. Purchased vehicle  851398 Between now and 2017 more changes will come. Thumbs up

To be on the safe side buy a Mexican Plated Vehicle.
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Whenever I need it!

Back to top Go down

Registering a U.S. Purchased vehicle  Empty Re: Registering a U.S. Purchased vehicle

Post by SLDavis Sat Aug 15, 2015 3:19 pm

OK. Thanks.

SLDavis

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Sat Aug 15, 2015 3:24 pm

What Jim said.
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Biting

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Sat Aug 15, 2015 3:24 pm

Yep, I agree. Buy a vehicle down here so you don't have to worry about it.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by SLDavis Sat Aug 15, 2015 3:30 pm

Can I buy one down there now, bring it back to the states, register it in the states now, then re register it in MX later?

SLDavis

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Sat Aug 15, 2015 3:36 pm

SLDavis, That is probably a question for Intercasa. The question might be, If I buy a Mexican plated vehicle, how long can I drive it in the US, without registering vehicle in the US? GOOD LUCK on this, and please keep us informed. Beer Beer Beer
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Whenever I need it!

Back to top Go down

Post by RVGRINGO Sat Aug 15, 2015 5:54 pm

Yes, you can buy a car in Mexico if you have an address in Mexico, proven by utility bills, etc.
Yes, you can drive it into the USA, but cannot keep it there for more than a year, so long as you have Mexican residency. Get your residence visa before you buy the car, use that and your Mexican address to register it. A 180 day tourist permit will not support this plan.
No, you cannot import it into the USA and register it there.
Having a Mexican plated vehicle avoids some delay and the expense of temporary importation fees and deposits at the border.

RVGRINGO
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by SLDavis Sat Aug 15, 2015 6:13 pm

Thank you, RVGRINGO. Am I correct that I can bring and keep my US car in MX for 4 years with my Temporary Resident Visa? At that point I can apply for a Permenent Resident Visa and either "nationalize" my car, if that car is permitted, or go back to the states and sell it, then return to MX and buy a MX car?

SLDavis

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Sat Aug 15, 2015 7:30 pm

I think Mexico is going to disallow foreign plated vehicles for Temporary resident visa holders before 4 years however you never know. Why bring a potential problem when it is easy enough to buy a vehicle here?
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by SLDavis Sat Aug 15, 2015 7:40 pm

It's the logistics and inconvenience of going back to the states and staying until the car sells, with no place to stay, with my dog, then travel back to MX, blahs, blah, blah. I just have to brainstorm and figure out how to make it all work. I was hoping to arrive with a carload of familiar stuff to start my new life. Having stuff shipped and flying in with a dog doesn't seem workable or appealing to me. But I'm just beginning this part of the adventure. If it's meant to be, I'll figure it out. Thanks everyone!!

SLDavis

Back to top Go down

Post by RVGRINGO Sun Aug 16, 2015 11:11 am

I would never plan on being able to nationalize your US car. Just figure out the logistics. For example, you could make your move and finish the process of getting your visa. Then, once settled and anytime before the visa expires, take your US car to a Carmax in Texas and sell it immediately; yes, at wholesale. Fly or bus back, probably from San Antonio, TX and jump into your Mexican car, which you might have aleady purchased. The dog could stay with a friend, house & dog sitter, or be boarded for the few days involved. It is not really so difficult.

RVGRINGO
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by SLDavis Sun Aug 16, 2015 11:54 am

THX RVGRINGO. There a few other things I'm trying to work into the mix but I didn't know about the Carmax options. That's good to know.

SLDavis

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down