INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Potholes on Chapala/Guad highway

+13
simpsca
RVGRINGO
suegarn
gringal
Lady Otter Latté
CanuckBob
MexicoPete
brigitte
Trailrunner
Zedinmexico
ltollefs
CATXN
Intercasa
17 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Potholes on Chapala/Guad highway - Page 2 Empty Re: Potholes on Chapala/Guad highway

Post by MexicoPete Sun Jul 31, 2016 10:40 am

I remember what us Americans in the greater Seattle area, Mount Vernon, to be exact, thought of all of those "Dumb" Mexicans who came to the US and never learned to speak English. And I have seen angry Americans in our local WallyMart get mad when the lady at the cash register couldn't understand his English.

What little Spanish I learned was to show respect to my Mexican neighbors, the same ones I might have badmouthed had they come to the US and not spoken English.

Why is it that most Mexicans who come to the US learn English, yet most of us don't speak Spanish. We should be ashamed of ourselves. Oh, and it's never to late to learn another language, just a little harder. I know I am still trying without too much success.

MexicoPete
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Potholes on Chapala/Guad highway - Page 2 Empty Re: Potholes on Chapala/Guad highway

Post by brigitte Sun Jul 31, 2016 10:42 am

Spencer sorry to tell you but you sound like an arrogant saleman trying to push everyone to take the citizenship test through your services,

We are both citizens and never needed your services and no one needs facilitators to become a citizen and if they feel they want to go to facilitators, there are plenty of choice around without having to go to someone insulting own´s intelligence..Who cares if your grandkids will be raised in this country..that is your business and no one´s else..
It took you many ears to get where you are now and I did not notice you being in a major hurry to become a citizen and now you are full and ready to offer the sercice you are trying to shame people into taking your services.. great move..

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Intercasa Sun Jul 31, 2016 10:52 am

Actually for citizenship we really cant help people much, it is the lowest profit area as it is personal as there are no facilitators. My method may not be as Orthodox but the point is to make people think and act. I would prefer to not have clients who have been robbed, assaulted, or who have hurt themselves due to the government not fixing things.

Shame? No, just doesnt make sense where people are so vehemently against or for certain candidates who will not affect their quality of life here where they actually live, assuming the live here and are not trolls. Sorry if I came off pushy, dont shoot the messenger, keep the faith and get involved locally, you owe it to yourself and your fellow man.
Intercasa
Intercasa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Barbed wit

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Sun Jul 31, 2016 10:55 am

I think Spencer's aim is to get a large group of us expats that are able to vote so some real changes could be made around here, not promote his service.

And Pete the reason most Mexican's learn English when they go to the US is because they are younger and needing to work. Do you know of any Mexican's that "retired" to the US in their 60's that started from scratch and learned English? Completely different set of circumstances between the Mexican immigrant's to the US or Canada and the expats here.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by ltollefs Sun Jul 31, 2016 11:00 am

MexicoPete wrote:

Why is it that most Mexicans who come to the US learn English, yet most of us don't speak Spanish. We should be ashamed of ourselves. Oh, and it's never to late to learn another language, just a little harder.  I know I am still trying without too much success.

From an on-line article on the benefits of learning another language late in life...

"Medical studies has shown the positive effects learning a second language has on the brain.

Studies showed that learning a second language significantly delayed the onset of many brain related diseases such as Alzheimer and dementia, compared to those who can only speak their native tongue."

Sadly, it doesn't cite the studies, but it does show how acquiring a second language can have benefits in unexpected ways.
ltollefs
ltollefs
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Sun Jul 31, 2016 11:00 am

Yes Expats who barely speak Spanish are going to get really involved in Mexican politics..??? You have to be kidding except for Maincoon and a few other bullies they will all be sheep and what elect Spencer..
Not that it makes a difference to me because I vote in Chiapas and not here so be my guess join the sheep.

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Sun Jul 31, 2016 11:03 am

Itollefs I had a boss who spoke 5 languages fluently and got early onset of Alzheimer as he was learning Italian so much for the theory, I know several other similar cases.
One advantage could be after a stroke, I have a cousin who had a stroke and could not understand French ay longer but could understand Corsican..not that it made a difference to his wife who did not speak Corsican but in that case there was a small advantage..

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Sun Jul 31, 2016 11:03 am

MexicoPete wrote:I remember what us Americans in the greater Seattle area, Mount Vernon, to be exact, thought of all of those "Dumb" Mexicans who came to the US and never learned to speak English. And I have seen angry Americans in our local WallyMart get mad when the lady at the cash register couldn't understand his English.

What little Spanish I learned was to show respect to my Mexican neighbors, the same ones I might have badmouthed had they come to the US and not spoken English.

Why is it that most Mexicans who come to the US learn English, yet most of us don't speak Spanish. We should be ashamed of ourselves. Oh, and it's never to late to learn another language, just a little harder.  I know I am still trying without too much success.

Pete: Most Mexicans who come to the US are YOUNG. Most expats to Mexico are not. Young brains absorb languages much more easily. When I was in high school, I learned to speak half decent French. I wish I had taken Spanish instead because, when I traveled to France, the forgotten language started coming back quite naturally. Unfortunately, it is actually harder to teach old dogs new tricks. Wouldn't it be fine to be a puppy again?
Beer

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Sun Jul 31, 2016 11:08 am

You would be amazed at how many non English speaking immigrant's to Canada affect some local election's. I know many Asian immigrant's in Vancouver who brought their parents and grandparent's over with them. The older ones never learn English however they get their citizenship and vote.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Sun Jul 31, 2016 11:11 am

This is not Canada or even the States..it is just a little trickier..

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Sun Jul 31, 2016 11:12 am

So, it answers your question as to how a group of expats who don't speak much Spanish could have an impact here....no?
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by suegarn Sun Jul 31, 2016 11:19 am

MexicoPete wrote:I remember what us Americans in the greater Seattle area, Mount Vernon, to be exact, thought of all of those "Dumb" Mexicans who came to the US and never learned to speak English. And I have seen angry Americans in our local WallyMart get mad when the lady at the cash register couldn't understand his English.

I agree with Pete. We should at least try to learn some conversational Spanish. We may not succeed, but at least we can say we tried. All of the locals that I've encountered have been very gracious listening to my feeble attempts at communication (some Spanish, mostly English words). I find them to be very tolerant of us expecting them to speak English, rather than us speaking Spanish. I'll keep trying to learn, even though it's difficult due to my moderate hearing loss.

suegarn
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ltollefs Sun Jul 31, 2016 11:20 am

brigitte wrote:Itollefs I had a boss who spoke 5 languages  fluently and got early onset of Alzheimer as he was learning Italian  so much for the theory, I know several other similar cases.
One advantage could be after a stroke, I have a cousin who had a stroke and could not understand French ay longer but could understand Corsican..not that it made a difference to his wife who did not speak Corsican but in that case there was a small advantage..

Brigitte, I'm Canadian, white and male. I don't watch Hockey. Never have. That should be suggestive of the value of a sample set of one.

...and like almost every Canadian I know, I don't say "Eh".
ltollefs
ltollefs
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Sun Jul 31, 2016 11:33 am

Well you are not really a Canadian then, eh. Shame on you.....lol.

Beer
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ltollefs Sun Jul 31, 2016 11:40 am

I'd already prepare a nasty retort to the inevitable "you are not really a..." response. But the beer-drinking smilieface reminded me that I have some Modelo in the fridge. Better a gram than a damn.
ltollefs
ltollefs
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Sun Jul 31, 2016 11:43 am

Ah ha......so you are a Canadian. Get er done, eh!
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Intercasa Sun Jul 31, 2016 11:45 am

If you can vote then you can vote for a common representative if you know someone who you can communicate with representing what you feel is important, you can also not vote for those who have not kept promises as an incentive to keep them for the next person. Remember involvement can be simply voting, running for office, helping get the vote out or hanging signs. Look at it as a Mexican Grassroots movement within the community.
Intercasa
Intercasa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Barbed wit

Back to top Go down

Post by RVGRINGO Sun Jul 31, 2016 11:50 am

Well said, Pete, but I think Brigitte made a very valid point. I am still not fluent in Spanish, but learned enough to be comfortable traveling anywhere and holding basic conversations. However, I did have some previous experience in French and in Turkish, but also only at basic levels. Even so, I think it helped. That said, my brain seems only able to deal with one foreign language at a time, due to non-fluency, and it wants to pluck words from the wrong foreign language on occasion. As I type this, I am listening to Mexican music on another web page, and that helps too, as does reading UnoNoticias every morning.

RVGRINGO
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by simpsca Sun Jul 31, 2016 12:06 pm

Thanks for the heads up!
simpsca
simpsca
Events Reporter
Events Reporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Carry Bean Sun Jul 31, 2016 12:52 pm

I really get my back up when people start telling me what I "should" do. Nobody does that unless they pay my bills. Don't act like all of us are immersed in the ridiculous US politics. I quit Facebook until after the election because of all the political crap. I won't vote for an arrogant crook or a megalomaniac. I live here not there.

I will NOT become a Mexican citizen. There's no benefit to me doing that and don't try and guilt people into it. Yeah, all that rah-rah make a difference BS is just that. There won't be any change if a bunch of foreigners get involved. It will still be the same old, same old.

I'm on my way out. My sell-by date is getting to the end. What I do with the rest of my life is my business and nobody else's. And I find somebody preaching to dumb retirees who have paid his bills for many years more than a little arrogant.

Retirees DO make a difference. Look at the number of charities run by hard-working ex-pats that in a number of instances have transformed lives. Look in your own mirror before you start telling other people what to do with their lives.

Carry Bean
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Sun Jul 31, 2016 12:59 pm

Well said, Carry Bean. How about a motto: "Don't SHOULD on me"?

A big hand clap for the expats who contribute their time and energy to the many "good works" in Lakeside.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Sun Jul 31, 2016 1:13 pm

Guess I should have titled this " Watch out for potholes on your way to Spanish class or not".........
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Sun Jul 31, 2016 1:24 pm

Yes expats make a difference. I attended a board meeting in Guadalajara  where the expats from Chapala were admired for having put the Feria de los Maestros on the map .  I heard the same thing in Chiapas.
I am sure that if we could be part of other conversations we would hear the same thing..
The potholes are part of life here and please do not tell me that this area is the only area with potholes in Mexico.. The roads are usually not well made and we have pot holes during and after the rainy season so deal with it, slow down.
There are so many other issues more important to worry about in this country and it sure should not be the reason for taking on a new nationality or learning Spanish  as that will make zero difference to what is being done here.

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by BILLBOGEY Sun Jul 31, 2016 2:00 pm

CanuckBob wrote:Guess I should have titled this " Watch out for potholes on your way to Spanish class or not".........
I am planning to become one of your neighbors and find reading the various forums a harbinger of things to come. This has demonstrated the magic of converting potholes to potshots. As I read the various posts I am getting a better idea of the diversity of personalities, just like small town USA. I do not believe I will be bored living at Lakeside.
Best Regards to all, Bill

BILLBOGEY
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : UNIQUE

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Sun Jul 31, 2016 2:57 pm

BILLBOGEY wrote:
CanuckBob wrote:Guess I should have titled this " Watch out for potholes on your way to Spanish class or not".........
I am planning to become one of your neighbors and find reading the various forums a harbinger of things to come.  This has demonstrated the magic of converting potholes to potshots. As I read the various posts I am getting a better idea of the diversity of personalities, just like small town USA. I do not believe I will be bored living at Lakeside.
Best Regards to all, Bill

Bill, bear in mind that there are thousands of expats living at Lakeside and only a handfull of them post on these local forums. But no, I don't think you'll be bored.
Welcome and good luck.
Beer

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Sun Jul 31, 2016 4:17 pm

Itollefs, many foreigners assimilate into the culture here and learn enough of the language to shop, eat in restaurants and volunteer in their community. That is different from being fluent in Spanish, becoming a Mexican citizen and getting involved in local politics.
I also disagree with you when you say "this is not a resort for the comfortably numb." I have seen foreigners for whom it is just that. Others may not like it but they have the money to make it so for themselves. You decreeing it otherwise does not make their lives any different or change their attitudes. You may feel morally superior to them, but they do not care.

Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Biting

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next