INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Completing 1st Trip Lakeside

+2
silas
juanrey
6 posters

Go down

Completing 1st Trip Lakeside Empty Completing 1st Trip Lakeside

Post by juanrey Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:33 am

For those who have not visited the Lake Chapala area, I offer my impressions after completing my 1st trip these last 11 days.

Weather is as beautiful as you have read about. This is the hot / dry season and yet it is very pleasant. The sun is intense in the afternoons, but there is always a beautiful breeze.

Restaurants are plentiful with great food and high quality service. Prices are very good compared to up north. You can have wonderful meals for about half what it would cost in the states or less.

People are friendly and you are treated well. A simple Buenos Dias or Hola as you pass by strangers is greeted with warm smiles and greetings. In restaurants and stores, if you don't speak espanol, and they don't speak english, you can still make yourself understood. But there truly isn't any language difficulties.

Buses and cabs are plentiful and transportation is cheap, so if you're going for a short visit you can get around well without a car. Figure out where the cabs are, normally at plazas, they don't cruise for fares, so hailing them on the street isn't common.

Walking on the cobblestones of Ajijic is not easy. The sidewalks are narrow, and the cobblestones are a concern for anyone with any foot or walking impairment. Not all streets have sidewalks.

The area is about 17 miles from Joco to Chapala, so it's not too large to get around, but you won't see it all in a short trip. Plan out what you want to do on your trip and do it.

Lots of expats, as you have read, they are friendly and you can learn a lot about the area from listening to them and asking questions.

Views are tremendous, lake, mountains, sun, flowers and colors galore. Easily competes with the best of vacations spots.

This is not a resort or tourist area. You will not be confronted with the usual tourist shops and hawkers. People live here. It is truly a mixture of poor Mexican village, middle-class life, and a high end relaxing community. It is not your clean, well groomed resort area.

It's what is behind the walls that you want to explore. Streets are narrow with high walls on both sides, storefronts and restaurants may have a sign out front over the door, but you cannot determine anything unless you go through the door and see what is inside. That's a big difference from NOB, and it takes some getting used to. Behind the walls there are beautifully appointed gardens and patios that are wonderful experiences.

The dogs, the roosters, gas trucks etc, do make a lot of noise in the villages, but it is not overwhelming. You get used to it. The pace of life is much slower and people are more relaxed, if you are a type A, you'll either adjust or you'll hate this place.

Having researched the boards and forums for a couple months prior to this visit was extremely helpful and people I was able to connect with in person prior to the trip gave me tips that helped make this trip more enjoyable. I was able to meet a few people from this board on this trip and that was most enjoyable. They provided some much appreciated guidance and advice and I would encourage other newbies to the area to make contact with people prior to their trip.

RoofBob, Pedro, Mexico Jerry, Dr.Juan Pablo, muchas gracias for all your help in making this trip a success. I will be back.

Juan
juanrey
juanrey
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : George Carlin

https://sites.google.com/site/ouradventureinchapala/

Back to top Go down

Completing 1st Trip Lakeside Empty Re: Completing 1st Trip Lakeside

Post by silas Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:21 am

Great overview. . . . any problem with me cutting and pasting into an email to some friends who are planning their first trip here shortly? You've said it a lot better than I could have. Thanks. Silas

silas

Back to top Go down

Post by Carry Bean Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:15 pm

You'll be back to visit or to move? Great to hear your views.

Carry Bean
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:36 pm

Glad to hear you enjoyed yourself and it was exactly as advertised. I had a very similar experience when I had gone down for the first time several years ago. The funny thing is that I also hooked up with most of the same people you just mentioned. We can't wait to get down permanent in a couple of years.

Bob
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by juanrey Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:28 am

Silas no problem cut and paste all you like

Carry, next trip in Aug to see rainy seaon. Will rent for a month to live there and not vacation. Then a 3rd trip probably in Jan/Feb to see high seaon and find a long term rental
juanrey
juanrey
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : George Carlin

https://sites.google.com/site/ouradventureinchapala/

Back to top Go down

Post by lucky Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:05 am

juanrey, thanks for your posting! enjoyed it very much. when you come down in august, if you'd like to see a little more of what life on the south shore of the lake can be/is like, let me know. i'd be happy to show you around my part of this side of the lake.

lucky
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by oncesubtle Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:54 am

Nice write up juanrey. It was nice to meet you and your lovely and charming wife. Please do drop by on your next visit and enjoy a thunder storm or two. 8)

And lucky, how about starting a thread on south side living. I know more than a few of us would be interested.

Roofbob
oncesubtle
oncesubtle

Humor : After 2nd cup of coffee

Back to top Go down

Post by lucky Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:30 pm

roofbob, i'll write up something. (i wrote quite a bit on the "previous" board, so it will be repeats for some of you.)

lucky
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by silas Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:38 pm

Juan, thanks . . . .and our friends thank you also.

Lucky, looking forward to your south side write-up - have made a few trips out there - would like to know more about it. Silas

silas

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down