INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Will my phone with a Telcel sim work in Canada?

5 posters

Go down

Will my phone with a Telcel sim work in Canada? Empty Will my phone with a Telcel sim work in Canada?

Post by Frijoles Thu Nov 17, 2022 8:22 pm

Hi, does anyone know? When I cross into the US it automatically changes to T-Mobile. I don't have a plan, I just pay as I go. Thanks.
Frijoles
Frijoles
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Will my phone with a Telcel sim work in Canada? Empty Re: Will my phone with a Telcel sim work in Canada?

Post by mudgirl Thu Nov 17, 2022 8:39 pm

Yes, it will automatically switch to Rogers. If you aren't somewhere you have Wifi access, you will need to turn on roaming to use cell data. And it runs out pretty fast. But you don't need to turn on roaming to call or SMS text.

mudgirl
Share Holder
Share Holder

Frijoles likes this post

Back to top Go down

Will my phone with a Telcel sim work in Canada? Empty Re: Will my phone with a Telcel sim work in Canada?

Post by Frijoles Thu Nov 17, 2022 9:03 pm

mudgirl wrote:Yes, it will automatically switch to Rogers. If you aren't somewhere you have Wifi access, you will need to turn on roaming to use cell data. And it runs out pretty fast. But you don't need to turn on roaming to call or SMS text.

Thanks.
Frijoles
Frijoles
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Thu Nov 17, 2022 11:29 pm

I did need to turn on roaming to call or text whenever I was out of my stepson's house in Newmarket, Ontario.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Fri Nov 18, 2022 7:01 am

Hmmm....that's strange. I never turn on roaming when traveling unless I need to access the internet where there is no wifi connection. Texts and calls work fine. You do need to have data turned on.

CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Fri Nov 18, 2022 7:11 am

Well, both you and mudgirl are using your phone in B.C. whereas I was using mine in Ontario. I'm also using an old Samsung S4. I have no idea if those things make a difference but, in the world of technology, all things weird and wonderful can happen.
When I took the phone to Newmarket in October of 2019, I did not turn on roaming and it wouldn't work for either texting or calling. This past October of 2022, I DID turn on roaming and it worked wherever I was. Go figure.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by mudgirl Fri Nov 18, 2022 12:09 pm

Ferret, I also spent 3 weeks in Ontario this summer (Well, Gatineau, actually, but a15 minute drive to Ottawa and I also used my phone in the Ottawa and Toronto airports for calls and texts). My phone worked the same as in BC. Only needed to turn on roaming if I needed to use cellular data, not for calls or SMS.

So it might have something to do with your phone, but that seems odd.

mudgirl
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Fri Nov 18, 2022 3:14 pm

It may. I have a new BLU Vivo XL5 in my drawer and will make sure it's up and running for my trip next October (hopefully). Then I'll be better able to answer your question.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Canada_Mike Sun Nov 20, 2022 4:21 pm

My ATT phone works fine in Canada. Just remember that if someone calls you from a Canadian number they will pay long distance. I tell my friends to text me and I'll call them.
Canada_Mike
Canada_Mike
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : New York

http://gilbert.info.yorku.ca/

Frijoles likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Sun Nov 20, 2022 5:57 pm

Not if you both have Whatsapp and call each other using it. That is now how the kids call me from Canada. LOVE it!
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Frijoles and T miner like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down