INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gringos Arming Themselves

+26
larryc
hound dog
viajero
Solovino
gringal
hockables
Jim W
oncesubtle
raqueteer
Lehrer
Intercasa
mkay
simpsca
juanrey
Zedinmexico
borderreiver
David
susan
SnowDaddy
brigitte
Mainecoons
57Chevy
johninajijic
Rolly
CanuckBob
CheenaGringo
30 posters

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Gringos Arming Themselves - Page 5 Empty Re: Gringos Arming Themselves

Post by CheenaGringo Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:40 pm

Quoting John: "This whole thread belongs in Octagon with the rest of the trash. These comments and opinions are useless. Canuckbob, is it time to deposit it there?"

Do you own or administrate this forum? NO! Therefore, it isn't your choice where this or any other topic goes. Want to make the rules? Then get off your lazy butt and start your own forum! This isn't your premier gated community where you can control."

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lehrer Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:46 pm

CheenaGringo wrote:Quoting John: "This whole thread belongs in Octagon with the rest of the trash. These comments and opinions are useless. Canuckbob, is it time to deposit it there?"

Do you own or administrate this forum? NO! Therefore, it isn't your choice where this or any other topic goes. Want to make the rules? Then get off your lazy butt and start your own forum! This isn't your premier gated community where you can control."
cheers
I was tempted to write something similar -- but tried to be "tactful" with my previous post. Sometimes tact doesn't work and a two-by-four upside the head works better.
lol! Beer
Lehrer
Lehrer
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sometimes

Back to top Go down

Post by larryc Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:49 pm

a sharp stick in the eye works too
larryc
larryc
Share Holder
Share Holder

http://www.gringosinparadise.com.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by Intercasa Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:57 pm

Harming an attacker and going to jail depends on you. If you want to bargain shop legal representation or have your maid or gardener translate then you'll probably sit in jail. Save money or save your ass, the two items rarely can be achieved at the same time.

You need good legal representation on the spot and someone who knows people at the MP who will make the determination of taking you away or not.

Intercasa
Intercasa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Barbed wit

Back to top Go down

Post by 57Chevy Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:12 pm

susan wrote:intercasa is correct legally speaking. johninajijic is correct practically speaking. (though his view of the world is limited. i cannot relate to anything he says). i am sure if you killed or injured someone you would go to jail. (legal or not). you would be blackmailed for huge amount of bail $, attorney fees. the consulate would not help you as you are nothing, why do you think you are here? (to get as much $ out of you as possible). chevy is a bit impractical. how many people can take a dead body somewhere, you need experience for that.

Susan - you are correct, my suggestion is impractical for most people who are elderly and could not lift a body. I am younger and could hoist someone. If you read my entire post you will see that I said there would have to be something creative done to resolve that problem - but that is an entirely different topic and one that I am sure no one would want to discuss.

I agree that getting involved with the jail/legal system in Mexico would be a nightmare most likely. Best to avoid that at all costs. But, as Intercasa points out, if you are arrested you must have excellent legal representation. Everyone should try to have money set aside for emergencies. Paying a good lawyer would be important. I agree with Spencer about saving yourself and worrying about the rest later. From what I understand, if you have a car accident where someone is injured, you go to jail and sit until it is straightened out, so anyone who drives is at risk of being put in jail. (Correct me if I am wrong).

As I said in my original post about a gun club, my husband is a league shootist in a gun club. Every single member of his team, and most of the people in the entire club, are over age 70. The general age range is 60 to near 80. They are all old farts. That is why it did not seem to me to be an irrational suggestion that older people learn a new skill, or renew an old pasttime.

A poster on this forum told me something once that I have not forgotten. This person was a victim of a brutal crime in Ajijic. The advice I received about living lakeside was to ask myself, if the worst thing you can imagine happened to you, could you survive it?

Many have pointed out that there have been crimes where a gun would do no good, the victim was taken by surprise with no time to reach for a gun. (That is were superior home security comes into play.) These types of attacks do not preclude the possiblity that guns would help to thwart other crimes. When you hear or see someone trying to get in to your home, you have time to react. If I had had a gun two years ago, when a man was trying to get into my house in Ajijic, and who then proceeded to terrorize me every night in the middle of the night for several nights - if I had been able to shoot a gun into the air out on my patio a few times, I think the man would not have returned. There are sometimes good uses for a gun, although I agree 100% that they are not always useful. Personal decision. Anyone who takes a gun safety course, or takes gun training is taught what Mr. Lehrer points out. This is not for everyone.
57Chevy
57Chevy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Intercasa Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:16 pm

Yes, car accidents are criminal here too and you need good insurance or else you can sit in jail, that is why many flee the scene of bad accidents.
Intercasa
Intercasa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by larryc Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:21 pm

Spencer, love that old saying so true

Save money or save your ass, the two items rarely can be achieved at the same time.
larryc
larryc
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by 57Chevy Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:25 pm

To quote Raqueteer: "Perhaps the very best solution is armed guards in neighborhoods, who will respond to an alarm, and fast."

Well, in an area where family ties, vengence, and narco gangs are involved, I would suggest that armed guards be hired from elsewhere in Mexico, not local men....or organize and hire security from the U.S. Perhaps instead of guarding an area, it would be better if people were able to hire a personal body guard as needed. This is a business opportunity for some enterprising yankees.
57Chevy
57Chevy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Intercasa Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:54 pm

Mexicans are fiercely independent and don't want armed foreign security forces on their soil.

Simple solution is to make a deal with the police chief to pay for a sworn officer to be at a certain location. This is best as they have radios and back up and can make arrests, etc.
Intercasa
Intercasa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by raqueteer Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:59 pm

57Chevy, usually the armed guards come from Guadalajara. Personal body guards are too expensive for most retirees although they are pretty common in Mexico City with business people.

I see this as a two part problem. The narcs are not after us at all. If we're in the way, well maybe something might happen, but to my knowledge this has never happened to any NOB retiree.

The second part is local punks, who may be on drugs. These guys are not professionals, if they knew that your area had an armed guard who would shoot them, they'd just move on to another area and leave you in peace. These guys are our real problem.

JMHO

Intercasa also has just put on a pretty decent solution as well. Why not hire off duty cops?

raqueteer
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:55 pm

Ok so in summary don't get a gun unless you know what you are doing.
Cheap Lawyers are a bad value.
Hire some off duty local officers to patrol local areas.
Mexicans don't want the gringoes to invade again.

Thats about it isn't it.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by raqueteer Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:20 pm

Yes Zed, that's about it.

Why would anyone even think of bringing in foreign security? I doubt that it would even be legal.

Plus secure your property to the best of your ability. Be watchful when out, and not flashy. Don't attract attention.

raqueteer
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by larryc Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:25 pm

Or you could just tape a few 50 pesos notes outside on your wall weekly and they would treat it like protection payment money just like back home with organized mafia i mean government gangs
larryc
larryc
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:42 pm

raqueteer wrote:Yes Zed, that's about it.

Why would anyone even think of bringing in foreign security? I doubt that it would even be legal.

Plus secure your property to the best of your ability. Be watchful when out, and not flashy. Don't attract attention.

WOW, The day I think about hiring security, to live in the top 5 climates in the world, I will leave! Maybe this is an effort by Baby Boomers, to chase all the FOP'S out, so they can buy here...LOL....Save muchas pesos mariachi I am not trying to diminish concern, but this is way over the top. For those watching and adding to this thread....they are happy to instill fear. We have no fear, as when it is our time...it will be done and over. We love the culture, the respect children show to their parents....great people here. A NIGHT OUT IN DETROIT...Is far more risky. Very Happy Very Happy
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Whenever I need it!

Back to top Go down

Post by Solovino Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:51 pm

raqueteer wrote:
Intercasa also has just put on a pretty decent solution as well. Why not hire off duty cops?

The Policía Auxiliar are state and/or city law enforcement employees that are hired out for private security. You will see them guarding banks and other facilities. They are contracted through the local police agencies. These are not "private" security guards, they are government employees that guard private facilities.

Solovino
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by raqueteer Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:01 pm

Solovino wrote:
raqueteer wrote:

The Policía Auxiliar are state and/or city law enforcement employees that are hired out for private security. You will see them guarding banks and other facilities. They are contracted through the local police agencies. These are not "private" security guards, they are government employees that guard private facilities.

Great, so hire them.

raqueteer
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:08 pm

If you feel the need to hire security...why stay? We moved here for comfort, not to live in fear?
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by larryc Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:14 pm

Enough already

most folks feel safe or would prefer to be here verus Detroit

NEXT
larryc
larryc
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Mainecoons Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:24 pm

I was planning on trading in the CRV for an armored car. Do y'all think this is going too far?

Dead Horse
Mainecoons
Mainecoons
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Mad Magazine

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:27 pm

While I agree with paying the police to have more officers on duty patroling the streets I mostly agree with Jim. Why bother living in a place where you feel you need to own a gun or hire an armed guard. If you are that concerned then it's time to move on...........
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:29 pm

Detroit has been a hell hole since the late 60's...not ALL of it but parts. When you can't get into a convenience store until you've been checked out by a camera...when you are followed by a remote shotgun while you are in the store...that's hell and that was '68. Of course, those who lived in Grosse Pointe Park didn't bat an eye. It's the same in any major city in North America.

This is paradise compared to any of those cities...Mayberry it ain't.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by larryc Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:31 pm

Real estate is cheap though, saw this morning you can get a nice house for $45,000
Be careful the line if forming
larryc
larryc
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:43 pm

raqueteer wrote:
Solovino wrote:
raqueteer wrote:

Great, so hire them.
Hire John Creasy the Mexico City bodyguard in the movie (Man On Fire)he knew how to handle these punks.Recomended viewing IMO.Available in the tianguies,ask for la pelicula: (hombre en llamas).
Chris

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Twain

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:48 pm

larryc wrote:Real estate is cheap though, saw this morning you can get a nice house for $45,000
Be careful the line if forming

Security cost......10,000 pesos.....hookers 15000......the rest is PRICELESS....Give me my mastercard Beer Beer Beer Beer Beer
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Solovino Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:07 pm

raqueteer wrote:
Solovino wrote:
raqueteer wrote:

Great, so hire them.

You're the one crying about the lack of security. Hire them yourself. AGFY.

Solovino
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lehrer Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:24 pm

ferret wrote:This is paradise compared to any of those cities...Mayberry it ain't.
Thank goodness for that! Who needs Barney fumbling with his revolver to load that one bullet????
lol! lol! lol!

viajero wrote:Hire John Creasy the Mexico City bodyguard in the movie (Man On Fire)he knew how to handle these punks.
Chris
Uh-h-h-h..... Didn't he wind up dead???
scratch
Lehrer
Lehrer
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sometimes

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content