INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

No Business in Restaurants

+23
ferret
canadiangirl
Parker
SnowDaddy
Solovino
saege007
57Chevy
martygraw
raqueteer
hound dog
Zedinmexico
gringal
CanuckBob
Mainecoons
DaveP
simpsca
hockables
brigitte
Intercasa
susan
CheenaGringo
David
johninajijic
27 posters

Page 1 of 8 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

No Business in Restaurants Empty No Business in Restaurants

Post by johninajijic Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:16 pm

There is no business in the Restaurants except for maybe weekends. How can they stay in business this way with all their expenses? They all cannot.

What restaurants do you think will be forced to close?
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sometimes

Back to top Go down

No Business in Restaurants Empty Re: No Business in Restaurants

Post by David Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:23 pm

Funny you should say that. We were at El Sarape on Tuesday night and they were very busy. We ate at La Taverna last week and they were busy. What restaurants are you referring to?
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Good

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:31 pm

The restaurant business anywhere has always been "the strong shall survive and the weak will fall by the wayside"! Maybe the dining group needs to get out more and make sure that those on the approved list survive. Here is a suggestion: since you are a contributor on TripAdvisor, maybe you should put forth a bit more effort and post new reviews on all the restaurants on your approved listing? That way newbies, tourists or people researching the area might be inclined to patronize these establishments.

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by susan Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:24 pm

last weekend dec.10th, saturday @3:30pm, tango was packed. they had a 45 minute wait. (ok it was a weekend). walked to new posada, the inside was empty except for one table (3 mexicans). patio was almost full. @one time there were crowds on a saturday. you had to wait, like tango. since new posada is 1/2 block from murder, do you think this is why it was 1/2 empty?

Last edited by susan on Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:26 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : deleted one word)

susan
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : none

Back to top Go down

Post by Intercasa Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:27 pm

Places here in Guad packed already and it is early. Maybe people are losing the fear of driving to guad to get some variety? Also it is party season so few mexicans out as most have many parties to go to with food
Intercasa
Intercasa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Barbed wit

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:09 pm

we were at Jardin de Minette on Thursday, it was empty, went by Laurent not remember the day it was empty, te little place on Colon next to Arteindigena was doing poorly according to them.
Tango is still doing very well.

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:10 pm

According to my reliable source, most restaurants are only busy on weekends. That includes Tango which Mexicans like on the weekend. During the day, they used to be busy, but no more. I doubt Nuevo Posada is busy. The owner laid off half the restaurant staff. No business. No, my source is not my Physical Therapist but someone in the food industry.

Hacienda Ajijic is now open on Mondays which was their closed day. They have $ 90 pesos specials Seafood on Wednesday and Meat on Thursday.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hockables Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:18 pm

johninajijic wrote:There is no business in the Restaurants except for maybe weekends. How can they stay in business this way with all their expenses? They all cannot.

Maybe they can have half price specials for you monthly Bi-Dinner Group...

that ought ta pull em outta the fire...

that and the odd Mex who frequents their joint on week-ends
hockables
hockables
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:40 am

Unfortunately many business right now are just hanging on and will eventually close. The town is dead as far as many businesses are concerned. There is very little business right now one week before Christmas, people like painter albañil and other are desperate for work. and so on, the town is not doing well.

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by simpsca Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:13 am

Now on top of business being off in general there are road crews putting down spray tar, a gravel truck following then letting the cars pat it down. And they are letting passing cars pat the gravel down - already getting lumpy in sections. Gravel with tar flies up and hits your car the whole drive from just west of Rancho del Oro to San Juan Cosala - they have been moving east from Jocotopec for several weeks working on the road. This is on the lakeside lane for several miles as of yesterday - Sat. One lane blocked at several locations and gravel flying even in the lane that is not being done.

Fish restaurants were empty yesterday - gravel and goo in front of every one.
simpsca
simpsca
Events Reporter
Events Reporter

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveP Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:37 am

La Bodega was very busy on Friday night. About 60/40 Mexican/Gringo. Los Pios was playing

DaveP
DaveP
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : A little English

Back to top Go down

Post by Mainecoons Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:17 am

Buddy of mine who is a regular at Salvadors says business is way off there.
Mainecoons
Mainecoons
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Mad Magazine

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:19 am

hockables wrote:
johninajijic wrote:There is no business in the Restaurants except for maybe weekends. How can they stay in business this way with all their expenses? They all cannot.

Maybe they can have half price specials for you monthly Bi-Dinner Group...

that ought ta pull em outta the fire...

that and the odd Mex who frequents their joint on week-ends

You have a sarcastic remark that's unneccesary. Our Dinner Group doesn't care about Specials. The only people that do are the Canadians and Mexicans looking for something for nothing. And tipping, that's another whole story.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:21 am

brigitte is 100% correct. All we can hope for is that the "better" restaurants won't go out. Hopefully none of them will.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:25 am

I think this is a direct result of the slow down in tourism (and snowbirds) visiting Mexico. I had a friend in Manzinillo & Barre last week who said it was absolutely dead. One of the major resorts (Grand Banks I think?) only had 4 people staying there.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by simpsca Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:31 am

Thirsty Turtle closing - This is the post on TOB from the restaurant owner:

the thirsty turtle will again be closing its door sometime before Christmas. Not due to narco problems,or because its to far out for people to come, no business. Once again a landlord that that can run your business better than you, He wants you to run it how he wants.or he thanks he can keep what you started going. also the rent goes up more than was agreed on. I was asked not to post anything for now, but the more my wife and I discussed this matter we said why. we lived up to what we had said. So why should we wait to explain the reasons. I am not angry because I guess I have gotten use to the way business is done in this town. I would like to thank the ones that has supported us in these 3 or 4 months. most of all the pool shooters and Randal who very much wanted to get the line dancing going. Sorry guys if you would like to know more information please email me at swiftyinmx(at)hotmail.com I will let you know everything that led to this PS the line dance will go on thur thanks Dan
simpsca
simpsca
Events Reporter
Events Reporter

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:41 am

It's pretty obvious that the restaurant business follows the old maxim: "If you want to make a small fortune, start out with a large fortune and open a restaurant." It's brutal, and times are hard all over.

It's not about cheap Canadians and Mexicans wanting something for nothing. Most people want a good value for their dining experience. Some people can afford what they perceive as "the best", and others don't know the difference and think that the more they pay, the better the food and drink must be. Still others actually like cheap slop. Since we all eat, we are all food critics of a sort.

There are enough people living here who don't care what they pay for what they like, so places like Number Four restaurant seem to be surviving. There are other pricey places with ardent fans.

The Holiday dinners advertised in the local Reporter add to the mystery. For example: one hotel is charging $275 pesos for a Turkey dinner. Another restaurant is advertising a buffet for $250. Still another advertises their turkey or ham Christmas dinner for $150. They are all including dessert, etc. Gimme a break: what accounts for the wild variation in prices ? Turkey dinner is turkey dinner. None of them are serving Cristal champagne with it.

I'm planning to avoid the crowds and cook at home, anything BUT turkey.....so I don't much care, but can't help wondering what's what out there.

Last edited by gringal on Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:00 pm; edited 1 time in total

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveP Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:46 am

Markups of between 400% and 1000% on wines and spirits do no help restaurants. While beer markups remain reasonable the previous two are way out of line.
Local mentality (Mexican and gringo owners alike) here is to put prices up when the going gets tough rather than making adjustments to menues.
If restaurants took a volume approach they would be more successful

DaveP
DaveP
DaveP
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Intercasa Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:52 am

There really aren't that many good places to eat, perhaps a handful and couple that with narrow streets, hoodlums out at night and in some spots no parking, why eat locally?

The restaurants need to address safety, parking and have good wait staff, some don't have that problem but other places do have the issue.
Intercasa
Intercasa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Barbed wit

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:59 am

Perhaps if the taxis ran later than 7:00pm or so it might attract more people out in the evening.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveP Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:06 pm

CanuckBob wrote:Perhaps if the taxis ran later than 7:00pm or so it might attract more people out in the evening.

You can usually order a taxi for a certain time in the evening although some places are going for late afternoon shows now.
DaveP
DaveP
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:13 pm

As a first time visitor about 5 years ago we stayed in Chapala and didn't have a car. Not knowing anything about the taxi hours we took one over to Ajijic at about 6:00pm to have dinner and see the Tall Boys at Saint Petes. When the show ended at about midnight we hit the streets expecting to see taxis out and about. We quickly learned there were none. We went back to the restaurant and the owner tried calling a taxi. He couldn't find one so he had the bartender drive us back to Chapala. Needless to say we didn't go back to Ajijic in the evening during that visit.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveP Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:14 pm

simpsca wrote:Thirsty Turtle closing - This is the post on TOB from the restaurant owner:

the thirsty turtle will again be closing its door sometime before Christmas. Not due to narco problems,or because its to far out for people to come, no business. Once again a landlord that that can run your business better than you, He wants you to run it how he wants.or he thanks he can keep what you started going. also the rent goes up more than was agreed on. I was asked not to post anything for now, but the more my wife and I discussed this matter we said why. we lived up to what we had said. So why should we wait to explain the reasons. I am not angry because I guess I have gotten use to the way business is done in this town. I would like to thank the ones that has supported us in these 3 or 4 months. most of all the pool shooters and Randal who very much wanted to get the line dancing going. Sorry guys if you would like to know more information please email me at swiftyinmx(at)hotmail.com I will let you know everything that led to this PS the line dance will go on thur thanks Dan

If the issue was about smoking as has been said on TOB I am amazed that we should expect any property owner let a tenant put them in the position of paying a fine in the area of 1000 x daily wage. Sorry but I don't think an restaurant owner or operator should be put in the position of paying such fines because some Gringo or Mexican wants to smoke in their establishment. There are plenty who will appreciate the lack of smoke. If your only claim to fame is that you allow smoking you need to look at your operation
DaveP
DaveP
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:40 pm

Canuck Bob

You say the business in Manzanillo was bad. I have friends who just got back from here from doing the tianguis on the coast for a week. Their cousin stayed here to take care of their business in Ajijic. All week in Ajijic they sol d1200 pesos of merchandise when they sold much more on the coast despite the fact that the business is not great there.
Without their business on the coast they could not eat. It is how bad the business is in Ajijic now. Forget the restaurants, it is bad for most businesses.
Just because a restaurant is doing well one day or two in the week it does not mean they are doing well. I have know busy restaurants going under as the profit is thin unless you can make it on alcohol and manage your costs very carefully.
Today, I just had the visit of a great painter, hard working reliable etc..he has had no job for a month and is hoping something will happen after the new year. Local are telling me the place died after the American was killed.
This is what I hear all over the place and if the snowbird numbers do not increase, many businesses especially restaurants will go under.
You can be sure the higher end and better restaurants will be the first ones to go as they are pretty dead right now .

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:47 pm

CanuckBob wrote:As a first time visitor about 5 years ago we stayed in Chapala and didn't have a car. Not knowing anything about the taxi hours we took one over to Ajijic at about 6:00pm to have dinner and see the Tall Boys at Saint Petes. When the show ended at about midnight we hit the streets expecting to see taxis out and about. We quickly learned there were none. We went back to the restaurant and the owner tried calling a taxi. He couldn't find one so he had the bartender drive us back to Chapala. Needless to say we didn't go back to Ajijic in the evening during that visit.

You would think the Taxi drivers in Ajijic would have some younger relatives or friends that would want to make some money on nights. Bob
is dead on about the Ajijic Taxi situation. They just don't work much after 9 to 10 pm and even than it is chancy. We just don't depend on
them at all in the evening. It does have a major impact on going out here if you live farther away than walking distance or don't drive or don't
drive at night. One of the reasons we live in the heart of the village is to avoid needing to use a car.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 8 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next