INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

No Business in Restaurants

+23
ferret
canadiangirl
Parker
SnowDaddy
Solovino
saege007
57Chevy
martygraw
raqueteer
hound dog
Zedinmexico
gringal
CanuckBob
Mainecoons
DaveP
simpsca
hockables
brigitte
Intercasa
susan
CheenaGringo
David
johninajijic
27 posters

Page 3 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

No Business in Restaurants - Page 3 Empty Re: No Business in Restaurants

Post by raqueteer Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:57 pm

Well, maybe the take back the night thing hasn't worked yet, maybe due to flu, cold weather or Christmas parties, however there have been no further reports of serious crimes. Since the demonstration the 6 bus robbers were arrested along with their haul, the alleged murderer is behind bars, it looks like he has been charged, and one of the shootout people has also been arrested.

All in all a very promising start.

The only actual crime reported was some poor guy who was exposing himself. Giving himself some Christmas cheer presumably;-)

raqueteer
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:11 pm

Now it's time to get back out there and support the local tianguis and businesses. Forget Costco and Walmart for a while..........
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by susan Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:49 pm

BC, crime has not changed my life or my routine. if people want to go out @ night & there are no cabs, then it is the cab problem, not a crime problem. one would think that the taxies would figure this out & be available. they could have a surcharge for after 8pm like they do in my home town. (it is actually 4pm, but thats going too far). all my shopping is done @ small local places. just like back home. easier, & normal. you go in, buy, get out. saw my first walmart here. went there once, what an ugly nightmare, bottom feeder. turns out they had the same product @ a small store, & cheaper (& a better experience). no one suggested i try that for that item. many products i am familiar with, were more expensive @ walmart. as for empty store fronts & crack heads, i do not think that will happen. if it does it is the fault of the corporate builders. they create that by over building before the need arises. basically ajijic is an extension of guad. (TAKE BACK THE NIGHT did not work out on t.o.b.- people were afraid they would not find a taxi to get home. read the posts).

Last edited by susan on Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:56 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added one sentence)

susan
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : none

Back to top Go down

Post by simpsca Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:33 am

I was at Soriana yesterday (Sunday)- looking for a special tiny battery - went to all the farmacias, Walmart, and no one had it. Soriana was packed with shoppers - long lines and Walmart was busy also. I ate at La Taverna near the fish store on the way home and he had some business but it was sparse - a real shame. The fish restaurants were a little busy.
simpsca
simpsca
Events Reporter
Events Reporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:57 am

gringal wrote:Raqueteer: If you want a warmer dining out spot: Roberto's has an indoor fireplace and outdoor patio heaters going. Tango probably thinks the body heat will suffice....or will give those Canadians a chance to wear their furs.

Last week at the Garden in Ajijic (place with peacocks, etc etc) built us a fire next to our table. They always treat us well. However we were
the only folks there which is very sad. I do my best but I only have so much money for eating out.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:10 am

Intercasa wrote:There are a few bars, or drinking 40oz with the gang bangers in the street.

No more action in a city of 15000 up north if you think about it. Ajijic does shut down at 9PM and only the
big fancy resturants are open. Some people go to bars at night but mostly people don't. I live up by the plaza
and know what gang bangers are and most of the people drinking are just normal folks. They tend to do it
in front of my house and always invite me to join them. I see more of the bangers down by the water. Too many
cops around the plaza at least for now. Ajijic tends to be more of a day city but we can have some fun around
the holidays at night. The gringoes and gringas (40% of Ajijic) tend to be stay home types at night. Also hate
to say it but walking around Ajijic at night you are just as likely to get mugged by some of the cops if you are
by yourself and drunk. Taxis at night would help. More affordable resturants at night would help also. We tend
to eat a big mid day meal as better choices and prices apply to a midday meal in the village. I spend as much
as I can on labor and going out but we need more people spending money to get Lakeside out of the economic
funk it is in.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:21 am

Where did you get the 40% in Ajijic are expats (gringos & gringas)?

My own impression is that native Mexicans outnumber foreigners about 10 to 1. Just a visual, not a head count. Shocked

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by susan Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:30 am

they have been complaining about no business for years. once 6 restaurants closed. maybe there are too many places. they open & close.

susan
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : none

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:47 am

susan wrote:they have been complaining about no business for years. once 6 restaurants closed. maybe there are too many places. they open & close.

You just don't get it. The North Americans are not here this year because of all this so called "crime" which doesn't exist. A few robberies and one killing. This restaurant business on weekends only. Not counting the druggies killing each other.

Everyone living here doesn't turn on TV and listen to the news NOB. More random killings everyday, on and on and on.

Tell us the year and which restaurants closed because I don't know orf any in my time here.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sometimes

Back to top Go down

Post by Mainecoons Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:30 am

The restaurant business here has been transient as all get out for the entire 4 years we've been coming here. The ones who have staying power seem to know how to run a business and serve decent food at good value. And it doesn't hurt if they own their premises. A few pretty good places have been torpedoed by bad landlords.

I am amazed at the sheer number of places in Ajijic. I can count nearly 10 restaurants within a 5 minute walk of my front door. That seems like an awfully large number for the population here, even counting the weekenders. Very many of them don't have enough tables to be economic IMO.

With the Loonie being up and the cost of everything in the U.S. sunbelt down, those Canadians who spend 4-6 months outside of Canada can go there just as cheaply and with less hassle. The Americans are mired in recession, don't believe the BS about employment the U.S. Federal government is pushing, just look at how much the number of people working had dropped.

At the reduced level of visitation, I don't believe the area can support so many eateries and there is going to be a significant drop towards and at the end of the season IMO. Agree with John that it has little to do with the crime and a lot to do with economic conditions.
Mainecoons
Mainecoons
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Mad Magazine

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:37 am

John Remember the Lebanese restaurant that was where Pedro was and what happened to Pedro´s or whatever the name was.. many restaurants have closed in the last 10 years but considering that it is the most likely to fail business there is, it is not surprising.
I think that the town and when I say the town I am speaking of the foreign population, is not large enough to support that many retaurants.
How many times a week to you go to Number 4, Laurent, Jardin de Minette and so on, they are good restaurants but unless there are enough people to support them they will not be here in a year or two. That is economics nothing to do with crime or taxis or the quality of food..
How many restaurants of that quality do you get in a 5000 people town? The area may have over 100 000 people or whatever but you need to look at the foreign or Tapatia population in the immmediate surroundings.
Tango seems the one people have chosen to support and they will be the one to survive.

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by 57Chevy Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:12 pm

I have a comment that is kind of related to this thread - it is about business being down all over the area. I have a godson who sells coffee on the street in Ajijc - I am sure many of you have seen him. He is 16 years old, and he has a wheelbarrow with a grinder, and bags of Vera Cruz coffee beans. He sits on the plaza outside the garden restaurant, or, more commonly, on the street (Colon) across from the The Tango. His name is Jorge. He is a very dear, sweet, and respectful young boy. He needs to sell more coffee!

The coffee is delicious, and you can get different types of beans depending on if you like dark roast or a lighter bean.

His boss can be seen on the carratera, kittycorner from Clinica Ajijic- and across the corner from The Gossip deli. His name is Fransisco. He is around 32 years old. He sells bags of coffee beans from the back of the truck.

They go to Vera Cruz to get the beans fresh from the farmers. These guys work hard and eat only when they sell enough coffee that day. Fransisco has a wife and 3 kids. I have known Jorge for nearly 3 years. He has been selling coffee since age 12. I will vouch for Jorge being a good person.

Sooo, if you want to help the local economy....buy your coffee from Jorge or Fransisco. They are honest, hard-working guys.
57Chevy
57Chevy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by raqueteer Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:22 pm

57Chevy wrote:I have a comment that is kind of related to this thread - it is about business being down all over the area. I have a godson who sells coffee on the street in Ajijc - I am sure many of you have seen him. He is 16 years old, and he has a wheelbarrow with a grinder, and bags of Vera Cruz coffee beans. He sits on the plaza outside the garden restaurant, or, more commonly, on the street (Colon) across from the The Tango. His name is Jorge. He is a very dear, sweet, and respectful young boy. He needs to sell more coffee!

The coffee is delicious, and you can get different types of beans depending on if you like dark roast or a lighter bean.

His boss can be seen on the carratera, kittycorner from Clinica Ajijic- and across the corner from The Gossip deli. His name is Fransisco. He is around 32 years old. He sells bags of coffee beans from the back of the truck.

They go to Vera Cruz to get the beans fresh from the farmers. These guys work hard and eat only when they sell enough coffee that day. Fransisco has a wife and 3 kids. I have known Jorge for nearly 3 years. He has been selling coffee since age 12. I will vouch for Jorge being a good person.

Sooo, if you want to help the local economy....buy your coffee from Jorge or Fransisco. They are honest, hard-working guys.

I agree, these two guys helped us park right in front of Tango a couple of weeks back. They were very friendly and helpful. Two really nice guys. We did buy a large bag of coffee.

raqueteer
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by 57Chevy Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:33 pm

THANKS Raqueteer! Did you like the coffee? If so, keep buying from them and tell all your friends. They are having a hard time because business is slow all over town. Last year was very rough as well.

They went to Puerta Vallarta last year for two months, to see if it was any better, but it was not. They are "small businessmen". They don't have a brick and mortar store, just the street.

57Chevy
57Chevy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by raqueteer Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:40 pm

57Chevy wrote:THANKS Raqueteer! Did you like the coffee? If so, keep buying from them and tell all your friends. They are having a hard time because business is slow all over town. Last year was very rough as well.

They went to Puerta Vallarta last year for two months, to see if it was any better, but it was not. They are "small businessmen". They don't have a brick and mortar store, just the street.

Actually we haven't tried it yet, so it's in the freezer. We will definitely try it tomorrow, if not sooner, oh what the heck, I have the flu and can't sleep too well anyhow, so I'll make half a pot right now and report back. Just to reiterate, these are two of the nicest guys you're ever likely to meet.

raqueteer
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:57 pm

The only problem with that is that if you buy your coffee from those folks, that will hurt the business at El Grano......another family business with higher overhead.

Speaking of surviving restaurants, we just had lunch at Roberto's .....a delicious one with many new items.........all 55 pesos, including soup or salad and bread basket as well as carrot fritters.
Hard to beat that. They are obviously struggling like the others, with two hired cooks and usually three waiters and a bartender to support, along with the owners. They are keeping the prices very sociable, which may help them survive the slump.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by saege007 Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:04 pm

A couple of weeks ago, on a Saturday evening, my friend and I wanted to go out in Chapala. I live within a block or two of things to do in Chapala at night, but she lives up by Soriana. She had been having car problems, and had to hire a taxi. She called the taxi stands, and none of them answered (we found out online they close down pretty early). She also called quite a few individuals that are touted as doing 24/7 service. No answers, no call backs. She finally got hold of one in Ajijic, but he was done for the night, but his neighbor said he'd do it. It should not be that hard on a Saturday night to find anyone willing to drive. I don't care how small town it is. If people want to make some money, they need to put a little work into it and be reliable.

We have been given several names from the job site, and the majority of the people, who gave out their info wanting work, either don't respond or don't want to do it.
saege007
saege007
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by raqueteer Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:22 pm

Back to the coffee. It is very good, not quite as strong as that Columbian stuff we usually buy at Costco, however since it is less expensive, using more makes it roughly equal in price. Why not support local business? You could alternate between El Grano and the two coffee guys. I've heard great things about El Grano. The best dates anywhere, and they have them all year round.

Over the years I find we use Costco and Sam's less and less. Maybe a trip in every three or four months. T.P. cleaning supplies and a few other things but the rest we mainly buy here. Maybe we should switch to Lakeside delivery, and support another local business, especially for those huge bags of dog food.

raqueteer
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by saege007 Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:51 pm

We've been buying our coffee from Francisco for a few years. Super nice guy!

Also, a lot of the "local" artisans are not actually local. A lot come from far away states to peddle their wares here.
saege007
saege007
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by 57Chevy Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:19 pm

saege007 wrote:We've been buying our coffee from Francisco for a few years. Super nice guy!

Also, a lot of the "local" artisans are not actually local. A lot come from far away states to peddle their wares here.

Anyone who travels from other states to peddle their wares in the street is all the more reason to support them. They are hard working Mexican people who work harder than most people do to make a living. Remember the people in the U.S. during the Great Depression, who travelled to where the work was after the farm was lost or the factory folded up, often whole families living in their truck or a tent.

To give you an idea of what it costs to have a shop in downtown Ajijic - I recently inquired about a shared office space on Colon, down a few blocks from the plaza. It rented for $1500 /month. So, what does an entire store or cafe space rent for? So, the folks who have brick and mortor stores may well have more money than any of us do. Just a thought.

57Chevy
57Chevy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by 57Chevy Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:20 pm

raqueteer wrote:Back to the coffee. It is very good, not quite as strong as that Columbian stuff we usually buy at Costco, however since it is less expensive, using more makes it roughly equal in price. Why not support local business? You could alternate between El Grano and the two coffee guys. I've heard great things about El Grano. The best dates anywhere, and they have them all year round.

Over the years I find we use Costco and Sam's less and less. Maybe a trip in every three or four months. T.P. cleaning supplies and a few other things but the rest we mainly buy here. Maybe we should switch to Lakeside delivery, and support another local business, especially for those huge bags of dog food.

Try asking Jorge or Fransisco for a bean that is stronger, mas fuerte.
57Chevy
57Chevy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:30 pm

57 chevy
I hope the spare office included phone, electricity use of office machine or whatever because that price is way out of line. I know 2 business owners on Colon and they do not pay anyting near that price. But then they are both Mexicans and know what things should cost.

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:08 pm

Just for comparison, during our visit to Leon we visited a modern two story mall located right across the street from Plaza del Zapatos. There was an open space with a SI RENTA sign @ $850MXN/month. Similar in size to the one pictured below:
[img]No Business in Restaurants - Page 3 Img_1610[/img]

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:24 pm

57Chevy - I think your $ 1500 a month is waaaay off or someone is lying to you which is most likely the case. I have spoken with business owners who say the rental costs for a locale run between $ 9,000 - $ 11,000 pesos a month which I think is still too high.

Neil - I think you mean $ 8,500 pesos a month for a space like that.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sometimes

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:00 pm

Sorry John but it was $850MXN for the space and I confirmed it with the owner of the pictured store which happened to be located directly across the aisle in the mall. Granted that was in August of 2009 but the economy was better back then. We visited the Zona Piel (leather zone) again this past August and of all the places we visited it had the fewest empty store fronts of any place we visited. The Zona Piel is approximately 1 square mile of shops primarily dedicated to leather products. I would speculate that there are easily 4000 to 5000 shops and would guess that space rental is very competitive. What the heck, if all you are doing is hanging product on the walls, it is easy to move to a new space if the price isn't right!

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by 57Chevy Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:20 pm

brigitte wrote:57 chevy
I hope the spare office included phone, electricity use of office machine or whatever because that price is way out of line. I know 2 business owners on Colon and they do not pay anyting near that price. But then they are both Mexicans and know what things should cost.

It did include electricity and use of office machines, shared with two other tenants. I thought the price was very high. I saw the ad on Ajijic News. I don't know if this is a common price point for Ajijic. JohninAjijic - maybe someone was lying to me, but that was the advertised price. When I heard the price, I ditched the idea.

I did look at one other shop space for rent about 3 blocks east from the plaza and down a few blocks, sort of out of the way---not at all in a high traffic location, and totally surrounded by residential units. It was a very small space with one door and one window, with a toilet room. It cost $600/month.
57Chevy
57Chevy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next