INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

No Business in Restaurants

+23
ferret
canadiangirl
Parker
SnowDaddy
Solovino
saege007
57Chevy
martygraw
raqueteer
hound dog
Zedinmexico
gringal
CanuckBob
Mainecoons
DaveP
simpsca
hockables
brigitte
Intercasa
susan
CheenaGringo
David
johninajijic
27 posters

Page 2 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

No Business in Restaurants - Page 2 Empty Re: No Business in Restaurants

Post by Zedinmexico Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:47 pm

CanuckBob wrote:As a first time visitor about 5 years ago we stayed in Chapala and didn't have a car. Not knowing anything about the taxi hours we took one over to Ajijic at about 6:00pm to have dinner and see the Tall Boys at Saint Petes. When the show ended at about midnight we hit the streets expecting to see taxis out and about. We quickly learned there were none. We went back to the restaurant and the owner tried calling a taxi. He couldn't find one so he had the bartender drive us back to Chapala. Needless to say we didn't go back to Ajijic in the evening during that visit.

You would think the Taxi drivers in Ajijic would have some younger relatives or friends that would want to make some money on nights. Bob
is dead on about the Ajijic Taxi situation. They just don't work much after 9 to 10 pm and even than it is chancy. We just don't depend on
them at all in the evening. It does have a major impact on going out here if you live farther away than walking distance or don't drive or don't
drive at night. One of the reasons we live in the heart of the village is to avoid needing to use a car.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hound dog Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:48 pm

So, if Ajijic becomes what it was when we arrived here in 2001, then so be it. The town´s pretentions outglow its capacity to súpport these restauants which are mediocre at best for the most part Get over it. This remains Peoria Upon Sump. Stop farting higher than your assholes, buttbrains.
hound dog
hound dog
Bad Dawg
Bad Dawg

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:51 pm

hound dog wrote:So, if Ajijic becomes what it was when we arrived here in 2001, then so be it. The town´s pretentions outglow its capacity to súpport these restauants which are mediocre at best for the most part Get over it. This remains Peoria Upon Sump. Stop farting higher than your assholes, buttbrains.

Ahh I see you took an extra nasty pill today. Hope the high is worth it.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by hockables Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:51 pm

johninajijic wrote:
hockables wrote:
johninajijic wrote:There is no business in the Restaurants except for maybe weekends. How can they stay in business this way with all their expenses? They all cannot.

What restaurants do you think will be forced to close?

Maybe they can have half price specials for you monthly Bi-Dinner Group...

that ought ta pull em outta the fire...

that and the odd Mex who frequents their joint on week-ends

You have a sarcastic remark that's unneccesary. Our Dinner Group doesn't care about Specials. The only people that do are the Canadians and Mexicans looking for something for nothing. And tipping, that's another whole story.

John.... U missed the REAL joke... read it again... heres a tip... it wasn't about the restaurant... razberry
hockables
hockables
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by raqueteer Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:52 pm

I have a theory here. Why do local restaurants fail to provide heat? We were at Tango a couple of weeks ago during that cold snap. Not only was the fireplace not on, neither were any patio heaters. As far as I'm concerned I'd much rather stay home in front of a cozy fire, eat whatever I choose, be able to smoke and just forget about all that going out in bitter cold muffled up with sweaters and shawls and freezing my whatsit off.

BTW it was midweek and the place was jammed.

I just noticed that Brigitte has also posted, so I have a couple of comments to add. Our new gardener owns a rosticeria, business was down substantially so he came to work for us every morning. For a couple of weeks business was really bad, as in terrible, however on Friday he said it had picked up. Hopefully things will get better soon.

raqueteer
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:05 pm

"Our Dinner Group doesn't care about Specials. The only people that do are the Canadians and Mexicans looking for something for nothing. And tipping, that's another whole story."

How is the air from up on that throne?

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:05 pm

There are driver services available from some private parties, one family in particular has several members who do this. More information: email: miramontestransfer@hotmail.com

Rene is the one we used to collect our repaired car in Guad a few months ago:
Rene: (045)333 143 2352

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by hound dog Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:06 pm

simpsca wrote:Thirsty Turtle closing - This is the post on TOB from the restaurant owner:

the thirsty turtle will again be closing its door sometime before Christmas. Not due to narco problems,or because its to far out for people to come, no business. Once again a landlord that that can run your business better than you, He wants you to run it how he wants.or he thanks he can keep what you started going. also the rent goes up more than was agreed on. I was asked not to post anything for now, but the more my wife and I discussed this matter we said why. we lived up to what we had said. So why should we wait to explain the reasons. I am not angry because I guess I have gotten use to the way business is done in this town. I would like to thank the ones that has supported us in these 3 or 4 months. most of all the pool shooters and Randal who very much wanted to get the line dancing going. Sorry guys if you would like to know more information please email me at swiftyinmx(at)hotmail.com I will let you know everything that led to this PS the line dance will go on thur thanks Dan

Don´t let the door hit you in the ass as you leave town. You will be missed for all of five minutes.
hound dog
hound dog
Bad Dawg
Bad Dawg

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:06 pm

Well I suppose the sooner all us local forums stop talking about the crime and the doom & gloom the better. Unfortunately we may be helping to perpetuate the problem considering many of the snowbirds and potential retirees read these boards. There is very little in the mainstream media about the specific "Lake Chapala" area. The majority of reports are about GDL and the other areas in Mexico. Most of the negative info about the lake is coming directly from these boards. Now the last thing I want to do is mask a problem, recommend censorship or direct members elsewhere but perhaps all discussions about crime should take place on the Lakeside Crime website?

I'm just saying..........

CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by Intercasa Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:10 pm

Late night taxis are needed, plenty of them in other Mexican towns until all hours of the night except here, this place is odd and with so many people looking for work. I think there is a union they need to join to work the taxi thing and they have dumb rules to limit the competition but their practices of shutting down by 10pm limits their incomes.
Intercasa
Intercasa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Barbed wit

Back to top Go down

Post by hockables Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:13 pm

CanuckBob wrote:Well I suppose the sooner all us local forums stop talking about the crime and the doom & gloom the better. Unfortunately we may be helping to perpetuate the problem considering many of the snowbirds and potential retirees read these boards. There is very little in the mainstream media about the specific "Lake Chapala" area. The majority of reports are about GDL and the other areas in Mexico. Most of the negative info about the lake is coming directly from these boards. Now the last thing I want to do is mask a problem, recommend censorship or direct members elsewhere but perhaps all discussions about crime should take place on the Lakeside Crime website?

I'm just saying..........

what would be left ta piss & moan about?
hockables
hockables
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by raqueteer Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:13 pm

You're right C.B. I have personal evidence of this. One couple who own a house here frequent the boards and are only coming down for two weeks. Another couple who don't frequent the boards have family visits planned over most of the winter. Yet another couple also never on the boards are coming down for 4 months as usual.

raqueteer
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:14 pm

Raqueteer: If you want a warmer dining out spot: Roberto's has an indoor fireplace and outdoor patio heaters going. Tango probably thinks the body heat will suffice....or will give those Canadians a chance to wear their furs.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by raqueteer Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:17 pm

gringal wrote:Raqueteer: If you want a warmer dining out spot: Roberto's has an indoor fireplace and outdoor patio heaters going. Tango probably thinks the body heat will suffice....or will give those Canadians a chance to wear their furs.

Thanks gringal, I like Roberto's and he usually has a pretty interesting menu which he changes frequently unlike some other places in town which is yet another pet peeve of mine.

raqueteer
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:17 pm

Intercasa wrote:Late night taxis are needed, plenty of them in other Mexican towns until all hours of the night except here, this place is odd and with so many people looking for work. I think there is a union they need to join to work the taxi thing and they have dumb rules to limit the competition but their practices of shutting down by 10pm limits their incomes.

It's called a "business opportunity" where most of us came from. As in, find a need and fill it.
flag waver

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hockables Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:22 pm

what is goin on around ajijic after 8pm?
no nitelife...
hockables
hockables
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Intercasa Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:23 pm

There are a few bars, or drinking 40oz with the gang bangers in the street.
Intercasa
Intercasa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Barbed wit

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:46 pm

I think Restaurant Number Four will take your money fairly late into the night.
Beer

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by susan Sun Dec 18, 2011 2:11 pm

there is no heat in tango because no one has complained to the owner. they are too cheap to put the heat on. most americans do not have expectations, & do not need/want a higher level of service. they also will not ask for it. armandos had a fireplace but i dont know if they still do. as for businesses closing, so what? how does this affect you? if 50% of retirees leave, then there will be 1/2 the amount of resturants. there is building going on, & there will be many mexicans moving here. you can sell your house if you want too. about taxies: there are cabs who work 24/7.

Last edited by susan on Sun Dec 18, 2011 2:13 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added one sentence)

susan
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : none

Back to top Go down

Post by martygraw Sun Dec 18, 2011 3:02 pm

hound dog wrote:So, if Ajijic becomes what it was when we arrived here in 2001, then so be it. The town´s pretentions outglow its capacity to súpport these restauants which are mediocre at best for the most part Get over it. This remains Peoria Upon Sump. Stop farting higher than your assholes, buttbrains.

Gotta agree with the round man.
martygraw
martygraw
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Sun Dec 18, 2011 4:31 pm

Be careful what you wish for. There is no such thing as "stagnant" prosperity. Like a business, a town is either growing or dying. If it continues a downward spiral there will be further negative implications until things correct themselves.

- Higher number of unemployed locals could mean a further increase in petty crimes.

- Vacant residential and commercial buildings attract the worse kinds. Crackheads, squatters and more criminals.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Sun Dec 18, 2011 4:42 pm

You are exactly right and this is why I do not like hearing about restaurants closing, people being out of work for a long time and having no money for Christmas or merchants who not selling anything.
I do not care if we have good restaurants around, I like cooking but I do care if people around me are desperate for money.

As an interesting aside , one of the young man from La Montaña told me he knew this Arturo Arceo who is being accused of murder right now.
He told me the two brothers went to live in the States 5 or 6 years ago and that they were ok kids then, they came back obvious gang members 4 months ago. The bad news is this Arturo has a brother who has the same life style .

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Sun Dec 18, 2011 4:54 pm

It is in everyone's best interest to continue to promote the area in a positive light at every opportunity whether it is to snowbirds, potential expats or vacationing Mexicans. If you can afford it, get out and spend more money locally, eat at the restaurants and patronize local businesses versus going into GDL even it it means paying a bit more or settling for something different.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:04 pm

Sounds like the Take Back The Night Movement started 12/3 on TOB failed to launch?
http://www.chapala.com/webboard/index.php?showtopic=32467&st=0

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:38 pm

Going to Guadalajara to eat at night is a drag. We go then around 2 or 3 to eat but at night sorry too late for us, I rather be in front of a warm fire reading a good book.

By the way I had a wonderful lunch in Tlaquepaque not long ago and the owner told me the business was way down there too.

Ajijic is not unique and at least it is home. Right now I will spend my money here, I do not want all these waiters to go without jobs.

CG it is way too cold to take the night back..brrr.. Taxis are also a problem.
While the artisans were at the Chapala fair several of them called me at night because they could not get cabs back to their hosts. Ajijic or Chapala are not good taxi towns. In Chiapas we always walk to dinner and come back by cab. Never think about not getting a cab, it is very different here.

Funny I just see the prognostics for the weather in ABQ, really cold for sure...

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by raqueteer Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:57 pm

Well, maybe the take back the night thing hasn't worked yet, maybe due to flu, cold weather or Christmas parties, however there have been no further reports of serious crimes. Since the demonstration the 6 bus robbers were arrested along with their haul, the alleged murderer is behind bars, it looks like he has been charged, and one of the shootout people has also been arrested.

All in all a very promising start.

The only actual crime reported was some poor guy who was exposing himself. Giving himself some Christmas cheer presumably;-)

raqueteer
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next