INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Guadalajara

+21
kipissippi
juanrey
drmike
viajero
raqueteer
hockables
Mainecoons
susan
Walter
Ricardo
Solovino
ferret
gringal
David
Zedinmexico
shirley
brigitte
CanuckBob
Lehrer
CheenaGringo
hound dog
25 posters

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Guadalajara - Page 2 Empty Re: Guadalajara

Post by CheenaGringo Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:43 pm

If you are referring to: Ixtlahuacán de los Membrillos, it is spelled just the way it is pronounced: Ixt-la-hua-cán-de-los-Mem-brillos
HA! Didn't have to look it up but then again, we had a home there for eight years.

Be thankful that we are not discussing cities, towns and villages in Michoacán where so many names have a basis in the languages of the P'urhépecha indigenous tribe: ie Tzintzuntzan. I have noticed on Michoacán forums/message boards that some of the foreign population have taken to calling Patzcuaro with the abbreviation "PATZ".

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Solovino Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:49 pm

I am at the coast now, Barra de Navidad to be precise. The locals shorten the name to Barra. Barra is within the municipality of Cihuatlán and the people in the town of Cihuatlán shorten the name to Cihua.

At the moment here in Barra there is an extended family on vacation that we have come to know over many years from Lagos de Moreno. You will hear them refer to their hometown as Lagos.

Same goes for people from Tepatitlán. To them Tepa is just fine. Puerto Vallarta is also shortened to Vallarta by many natives.

Last edited by Solovino on Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

Solovino
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:52 pm

Solovino wrote:I am at the coast now, Barra de Navidad to be precise. The locals shorten the name to Barra. Barra is within the municipality of Cihuatlán and the people in the town of Cihuatlán shorten the name to Cihua.

At the moment here in Barra there is an extended family on vacation that we have come to know over many years from Lagos de Moreno. You will here them refer to their hometown as Lagos.

Same goes for people from Tepatitlán. To them Tepa is just fine. Puerto Vallarta is also shortened to Vallarta by many natives.

Oh my.......how direspectful.....jajajajaja.

Thanks Solo

BTW......If you have any fishing contacts in Barra list them on that fishing thread we have going.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by Solovino Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:08 pm

Enrique Figueroa alias "el picocho". Alfredo Molina, Gerardo Rolon "el cocol". "El Conan" all of them have been fishing Barra all of their lives. Fishing for dorado, sails and marlin is pretty good here right now btw.

Solovino
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hound dog Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:32 pm

[quote="Solovino"]I am at the coast now, Barra de Navidad to be precise. The locals shorten the name to Barra. Barra is within the municipality of Cihuatlán and the people in the town of Cihuatlán shorten the name to Cihua.
At the moment here in Barra there is an extended family on vacation that we have come to know over many years from Lagos de Moreno. You will hear them refer to their hometown as Lagos.
Same goes for people from Tepatitlán. To them Tepa is just fine. Puerto Vallarta is also shortened to Vallarta by many natives.[/quote]

Barra de Navidad to "Barra", Lagos de Moreno to "Lagos", San Cristóbal de Las Casas to "San Cristóbal", San Miguel d´Allende to "San Miguel", Puerto Vallarta to "Vallarta", Tuxtla Gutierrez to "Tuxtla", Ixtlahuacan de Membrillos to "Ixtla"; are all acceptable and Dawg cannot do anything about the people Solovino (Solo) hangs around with down on the beach, even Alfred Molina but anyone who calls El Rancho Grande "Guad" lacks even elementary class. Dawg can´t help any of you at this late stage of life. Continue to embarrass yourselves with my blessing.

mariachi
hound dog
hound dog
Bad Dawg
Bad Dawg

Back to top Go down

Post by Solovino Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:40 pm

hound dog wrote:
Barra de Navidad to "Barra", Lagos de Moreno to "Lagos", San Cristóbal de Las Casas to "San Cristóbal", San Miguel d´Allende to "San Miguel", Puerto Vallarta to "Vallarta", Tuxtla Gutierrez to "Tuxtla", Ixtlahuacan de Membrillos to "Ixtla"; are all acceptable and Dawg cannot do anything about the people Solovino (Solo) hangs around with down on the beach, even Alfred Molina but anyone who calls El Rancho Grande "Guad" lacks even elementary class. Dawg can´t help any of you at this late stage of life. Continue to embarrass yourselves with my blessing.

You didn't mention Cihua for Cihuatlán or Tepa for Tepatitlán.

Solovino
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hound dog Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:50 pm

[You didn't mention Cihua for Cihuatlán or Tepa for Tepatitlán.[/quote]

I try to limit my discussion to actual places of at least some significance. The most dangerous slum adjoining San Cristóbal, akin to a Brazilian favela, is called Las Hormigas. Nobody gives a rat´s ass what the inhabitants of that favela call it. All they ever say when in town seeking beer change is "Give me your money or die."
hound dog
hound dog
Bad Dawg
Bad Dawg

Back to top Go down

Post by Solovino Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:56 pm

hound dog wrote:
I try to limit my discussion to actual places of at least some significance. The most dangerous slum adjoining San Cristóbal, akin to a Brazilian favela, is called Las Hormigas. Nobody gives a rat´s ass what the inhabitants of that favela call it. All they ever say when in town seeking beer change is "Give me your money or die."

Someone was whining about shortening the name of Jocotepec and everyone knows its significance in Mexico's history. Some people on this thread made unfounded claims saying that Mexicans don't shorten names of geographical locations. I'd be willing to bet that they both haven't lived here very long and don't speak very much Spanish. What do you think? I'm sure you agree (with me).

Solovino
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Ricardo Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:29 pm

I never heard Guadalajara called "El Rancho Grande" before but I have heard "La Perla Tapatía" quite a lot, and I don't see how calling it "Guad" (which I don't), is any different from Mexicans calling that tongue-twisting place on the outskirts of Mexico City "Neza".

Ricardo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:30 pm

Solovino wrote:Enrique Figueroa alias "el picocho". Alfredo Molina, Gerardo Rolon "el cocol". "El Conan" all of them have been fishing Barra all of their lives. Fishing for dorado, sails and marlin is pretty good here right now btw.

Do you have any contact info for these guys?
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by hound dog Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:47 pm

[Someone was whining about shortening the name of Jocotepec and everyone knows its significance in Mexico's history. Some people on this thread made unfounded claims saying that Mexicans don't shorten names of geographical locations. I'd be willing to bet that they both haven't lived here very long and don't speak very much Spanish. What do you think? I'm sure you agree (with me).[/quote]

Solo, darling. The person who stated that people in Latin cultuures do not typically shorten names (not the person who complained of the shortening of Jocopetec) is my darlin´ wife with whom I have been fortunate enough to have spent the last 40 years. She is French and, therefore, of Latin heritage and tells me that the shortening of geographic names is not a common practice among people in Latin countries in her experience which is extensive. She has also lived exclusively in Mexico for a decade now, speaks Spanish fluently and is marginally conversant in a couple of Maya tongues. I have no bone to pick with either of you and uaually admire your postings although you must not consider such a remark as my having kissed your ass.

As for the "Joco" reference to Jocotepec made by the entertaining poster Lehrer, Dawg always refers to Jocotepec as "Yokeltepec" so would, if shortening the name, have to refer to that town as "Yokel". An appropriate appellation if there ever was one.
hound dog
hound dog
Bad Dawg
Bad Dawg

Back to top Go down

Post by Walter Sun Jan 01, 2012 6:05 pm

Or Ajijic for Axixic de Le Gringo Gordo!
Walter
Walter
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Sun Jan 01, 2012 6:14 pm

As Oscar Wilde stated:

"Really, if the lower orders don't set us a good example, what on earth is the use of them? They seem, as a class, to have absolutely no sense of moral responsibility."

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Sun Jan 01, 2012 6:31 pm

How about that we make this assumption? Assuming that most members of this forum went past the 8th grade - would you have used GUAD in a term paper or thesis on Guadalajara?

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Solovino Sun Jan 01, 2012 6:46 pm

CanuckBob wrote:
Solovino wrote:Enrique Figueroa alias "el picocho". Alfredo Molina, Gerardo Rolon "el cocol". "El Conan" all of them have been fishing Barra all of their lives. Fishing for dorado, sails and marlin is pretty good here right now btw.

Do you have any contact info for these guys?

I'll see what I can find.

Solovino
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Solovino Sun Jan 01, 2012 6:47 pm

Ricardo wrote:I never heard Guadalajara called "El Rancho Grande" before but I have heard "La Perla Tapatía" quite a lot, and I don't see how calling it "Guad" (which I don't), is any different from Mexicans calling that tongue-twisting place on the outskirts of Mexico City "Neza".

The word guanatos is a slang term for the city.

Solovino
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by susan Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:30 pm

i prefer oscars words.

susan
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : none

Back to top Go down

Post by Mainecoons Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:33 am

CheenaGringo wrote:How about that we make this assumption? Assuming that most members of this forum went past the 8th grade - would you have used GUAD in a term paper or thesis on Guadalajara?

No but speaking language is always different and less formal than written language. And the languaging on message boards like this much more resembles speaking than formal written composition. Why that is could be an interesting topic all of its own.

"Much ado about nothing" is how I'd describe this complaint. Very Happy
Mainecoons
Mainecoons
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Mad Magazine

Back to top Go down

Post by David Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:57 am

I'm entertained by the Anglicization of European city names such as; Milan for Milano, Rome for Roma, Munich for Munchen, and Paris for phonecitally correct Paree. Even the orient isn't spared, It not Japan and never been Japan, it's Nihon.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Good

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:07 am

If one follows that train of thought, then one could also assume that it is proper to use gutter slang or swear words when posting on a forum.

Reflecting back to my early days of reading the various forums, most people took the time to spell out the full names of various cities, town or villages and seemed to have enough personal pride in what they wrote to either spell the names correctly or indicate so when they were not sure. I don't remember when the "Guad" phenomenon started but posters certainly are not doing the amateurs or newbies with little or no Mexico experience any favors. Heck, some of them even move to Mexico with the idealistic intent to learn the language and the so-called experts are pre-educating them to "bastardize" the names of cities, towns and villages. How many times have I read or heard people say that they are making concerted efforts to learn Spanish and then continue to verbally slaughter words/names such as Tlaquepaque, Tonala or even something as common as "topes", "libramiento" or "carretara".

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hockables Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:14 am

CheenaGringo wrote:If one follows that train of thought, then one could also assume that it is proper to use gutter slang or swear words when posting on a forum. ".

You mean ... it isn't? Shocked
hockables
hockables
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Mainecoons Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:28 am

Exactly. It is, here and everywhere else.

Like I said, "much ado about nothing."

Very Happy
Mainecoons
Mainecoons
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Mad Magazine

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:31 pm

Is it time to to quote: "that is the type of pedantry up with which I will not put"?
Dead Horse

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by hound dog Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:44 pm

Ricardo wrote:I never heard Guadalajara called "El Rancho Grande" before but I have heard "La Perla Tapatía" quite a lot, and I don't see how calling it "Guad" (which I don't), is any different from Mexicans calling that tongue-twisting place on the outskirts of Mexico City "Neza".

"El Rancho Grande" is what people from Mexico City have been known to call Guadalajara which is a term of derision similar to people in the U.S. referring to a large regional city as an overgrown cow town. Mexicans often abbreviate indigenous names they find difficult to pronounce. Nezahualcóytl, Popocatépetl , (POPO) and Iztaccihuatl (IZTA) If any of you out there find "Guadalajara" difficult to pronounce you might want to check with your doctor for signs of a silent stroke.

By the way, as I atated previously, the new Arco Norte has opened up splendid vistas of Popo and Izta as you approach Puebla City, especially in the early morning before obscurring clouds form. Then farther ob afew short hours later you pass Pico de Orizaba, the country´s tallest mountain and another breathtaking sight as you approach the Veracruz State line. A fine drive.

Last edited by hound dog on Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
hound dog
hound dog
Bad Dawg
Bad Dawg

Back to top Go down

Post by Solovino Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:49 pm

hound dog wrote:

"El Rancho Grande" is what people from Mexico City have been known to call Guadalajara which is a term of derision similar to people in the U.S. referring to a large regional city as an overgrown cow town. Mexicans often abbreviate indigenous names they find difficult to pronounce. Nezahualcóytl, Popocatépetl , (POPO) and Iztaccihuatl (ITZA) If any of you out there find "Guadalajara" difficult to pronounce you might want to check with your doctor for signs of a silent stroke.

So in other words, mange magnet, it is wrong for English speakers to shorten names not in their native language but OK for Spanish speakers to do the same (but of course Latin cultures do not practice that custom)?

Oh, and who said those nahuatl names are difficult to pronounce for Mexicans?

Now I am off to "Cihua" on errands.

Solovino
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by raqueteer Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:57 pm

Solovino wrote:
hound dog wrote:

"El Rancho Grande" is what people from Mexico City have been known to call Guadalajara which is a term of derision similar to people in the U.S. referring to a large regional city as an overgrown cow town. Mexicans often abbreviate indigenous names they find difficult to pronounce. Nezahualcóytl, Popocatépetl , (POPO) and Iztaccihuatl (ITZA) If any of you out there find "Guadalajara" difficult to pronounce you might want to check with your doctor for signs of a silent stroke.

So in other words, mange magnet, it is wrong for English speakers to shorten names not in their native language but OK for Spanish speakers to do the same (but of course Latin cultures do not practice that custom)?

Oh, and who said those nahuatl names are difficult to pronounce for Mexicans?

Now I am off to "Cihua" on errands.

Oh that's too bad, just when you're in top form with that mange magnet bit.

Just thought I'd add here that since Solovino is el perro equivocado, that is rather like the pot calling the kettle black, just sayin'.

raqueteer
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next