INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Guadalajara

+21
kipissippi
juanrey
drmike
viajero
raqueteer
hockables
Mainecoons
susan
Walter
Ricardo
Solovino
ferret
gringal
David
Zedinmexico
shirley
brigitte
CanuckBob
Lehrer
CheenaGringo
hound dog
25 posters

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Guadalajara - Page 4 Empty Re: Guadalajara

Post by gringal Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:58 pm

Just to play the game a bit more, we cam make an opposing argument that all things must change to fit the times. Consider the difference between the English of Shakespeare's time and that spoken today, plus the notion that England and America are "two places divided by a common language.". I know of a person with a PhD in Spanish who had difficulty speaking to people in Mexico.

When I was a puppy, there were no computers or cell phones. Today's youngsters take these things for granted. We recently had dinner with friends whose 15 year old grandson, when asked to describe the huge marlin he caught on the coast, whipped out his IPhone and showed us the picture. Meanwhile, another guest's 5 year old daughter was busily playing games on a tiny pink computer.

You really can't blow against the wind very well with so much change becoming part of our lives, whether we're ready for it or not. My token protest.......having nothing to do with the world of social networking...........puts me in a very small minority and firmly in the land of Old Fogies. Suspect

"Lakeside" as far as I know, is just an unofficial area description of the string of villages on the North side of Lake Chapala

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lehrer Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:30 pm

gringal wrote:Consider the difference between the English of Shakespeare's time and that spoken today....
Oh, yes! It never ceases to amaze me that some people want to write "Shakespearean" English (or King James Bible English), often in poetry, and can't use the words "thee" & "thou" & "thy" & "thine" properly -- not to mention "doth" (as in: "Until death doth us part" and not "Until death do us part.")

[This is especially irksome to me in some movies I've seen.]

Oh, crap! That's one of the drawbacks (I guess) of majoring in English, after all. Pardon my French!
razberry lol!
Lehrer
Lehrer
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sometimes

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:31 pm

How about changing those lines to a more realistic modell:
"Subject to the prenuptual contract, and with the exit clause for the possibility of finding a better candidate later, we will remain married until one of us dies."

Or doth die. Or dieth.
cheers

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by hound dog Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:36 am

gringal wrote:How about changing those lines to a more realistic modell:
"Subject to the prenuptual contract, and with the exit clause for the possibility of finding a better candidate later, we will remain married until one of us dies."

Or doth die. Or dieth.
cheers

One doth dieth of inexcusable superficiality, a characteristic seminlingly widesrpead among foreigners incidentally finding themselves resident in this primitive regional compote. Who do you think are kidding, pussbrains. We can survive without you pedantic phonies led by the easily missled Gringal superficial puff creature prancing about here with no underwear.
hound dog
hound dog
Bad Dawg
Bad Dawg

Back to top Go down

Post by hound dog Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:46 am

Lehrer wrote:
gringal wrote:Consider the difference between the English of Shakespeare's time and that spoken today....
Oh, yes! It never ceases to amaze me that some people want to write "Shakespearean" English (or King James Bible English), often in poetry, and can't use the words "thee" & "thou" & "thy" & "thine" properly -- not to mention "doth" (as in: "Until death doth us part" and not "Until death do us part.")

[This is especially irksome to me in some movies I've seen.]

Oh, crap! That's one of the drawbacks (I guess) of majoring in English, after all. Pardon my French!
razberry lol!

Lehrer:

You´re a person I enjoy but you are as phoney as a three doillar bill. You, as most English teachers, have the depth of an alleycat. Go rest in peace in the teacher´s lounge.

Last edited by hound dog on Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:51 am; edited 2 times in total
hound dog
hound dog
Bad Dawg
Bad Dawg

Back to top Go down

Post by kipissippi Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:48 am

Bama Boy....I think it's time for your nap.

Cousin Kippy
kipissippi
kipissippi
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : goofy

Back to top Go down

Post by hound dog Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:53 am

kipissippi wrote:Bama Boy....I think it's time for your nap.

Cousin Kippy

To what purpose Kippy, Darling?
hound dog
hound dog
Bad Dawg
Bad Dawg

Back to top Go down

Post by kipissippi Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:10 pm

You're getting a little testy darlin'.
kipissippi
kipissippi
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : goofy

Back to top Go down

Post by drmike Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:13 pm

juanrey wrote:
drmike wrote:It was my understanding that "Lakeside" meant all the cities and villages on the east side, where the Americans and Canadians live (mostly). If I'm wrong please correct me. I did not know that was a nickname, rather I thought it was the official name of the area. I don't live there, yet so I'm still learning. Thank you for pointing that out.

Hey Dr Mike, that's the North West part of the lake.

Just and FYI

Juan,

I don't know what it is but when I think of Lake Chapala I always get turned around. Maybe because the lake runs east - west instead on north - south and Mexico changes direction in this area too. Thanks for getting my directional system corrected. Maybe with all my head injuries I've lost all directional control...

Dr. Mike
drmike
drmike
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : yes

http://smarthealthchoices.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Lehrer Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:05 pm

hound dog wrote:Lehrer:

You´re a person I enjoy but you are as phoney as a three doillar bill. You, as most English teachers, have the depth of an alleycat. Go rest in peace in the teacher´s lounge.
Oh, the English teacher in me just cannot resist:
1) "phoney" - misspelled; s/b "phony"
2) "doillar" - misspelled; s/b "dollar"
3) "alleycat" - s/b two words: "alley cat"
4) "teacher's lounge" - misplaced apostrophe; s/b "teachers' lounge"

Let's see -- Four errors in a three-sentence post? Looks like an "F" to me. (And I didn't even include the missing hyphen!)

razberry
lol!
Lehrer
Lehrer
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:36 pm

A timely article in the Globe and Mail...the 377 comments were lots of fun too...gawd I'm anal.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/facts-and-arguments/the-essay/im-a-stickler-for-proper-grammar/article2289188/
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hound dog Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:50 pm

Lehrer wrote:
hound dog wrote:Lehrer:

Oh, the English teacher in me just cannot resist:
1) "phoney" - misspelled; s/b "phony"
2) "doillar" - misspelled; s/b "dollar"
3) "alleycat" - s/b two words: "alley cat"
4) "teacher's lounge" - misplaced apostrophe; s/b "teachers' lounge"

Let's see -- Four errors in a three-sentence post? Looks like an "F" to me. (And I didn't even include the missing hyphen!)

razberry
lol!

Thank you for your input Lehrer but, perhaps you have been living on the southside too long:

* Phoney is as authentic as "phony" in conveying the same meaning as you should know. Both spellings are acceptable.
* "dolliar" was clearly a typo.
* "alley cat" is a cat who lives on the street. An alleycat is a two bit whore who works the back alleys. Did you never attend any teachers´ conferences in Náwlins?
* When Dawg spoke of "teacher´s lounge", I was referring to the intellectual discipline needed for you to achieve the academic standards necessary to become a credentialed English teacher in the deep south bunghole in which you wasted all those years lounging about teaching rubes the fundamentals of English grammar when all they really wanted to know was how tio achieve the proper trajectory of spitaballs with which to smack your ass when you were writing on the chalkboard.

By the way; if you ever want to give me an "F", you´ll have to stand in line with a lot of now dead or senile high school teachers from the 1950s who achieved that goal repeatedly.

Dawg

hound dog
hound dog
Bad Dawg
Bad Dawg

Back to top Go down

Post by Lehrer Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:42 pm

ferret wrote:A timely article in the Globe and Mail...the 377 comments were lots of fun too...gawd I'm anal.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/facts-and-arguments/the-essay/im-a-stickler-for-proper-grammar/article2289188/
I couldn't wade through the 377 comments, but I thoroughly enjoyed the article. Thanks!
cheers

hound dog wrote:Thank you for your input Lehrer but, perhaps you have been living on the southside too long:

* Phoney is as authentic as "phony" in conveying the same meaning as you should know. Both spellings are acceptable.
* "dolliar" was clearly a typo.
* "alley cat" is a cat who lives on the street. An alleycat is a two bit whore who works the back alleys. Did you never attend any teachers´ conferences in Náwlins?
* When Dawg spoke of "teacher´s lounge", I was referring to the intellectual discipline needed for you to achieve the academic standards necessary to become a credentialed English teacher in the deep south bunghole in which you wasted all those years lounging about teaching rubes the fundamentals of English grammar when all they really wanted to know was how tio achieve the proper trajectory of spitaballs with which to smack your ass when you were writing on the chalkboard.

By the way; if you ever want to give me an "F", you´ll have to stand in line with a lot of now dead or senile high school teachers from the 1950s who achieved that goal repeatedly.

Dawg

Oh, Dawg!

Let me quote from the article mentioned by ferret above: "We all have our little obsessions, those events, people or things that provoke a passionate reaction in us, whether it’s reasonable or not."

Obviously, mine is language -- including formal English. What's yours? (Never mind -- I already know.)

* "Phoney" is substandard -- but you're welcome to use it if you're comfortable with it.
* Proof-reading sometimes is a necessity. (Besides, this forum puts a little red, wavy line underneath such mistakes as they're written, in order to help the spelling-impaired make necessary corrections!)
*I was in New Orleans with a teachers' convention once, but I never encountered those persons of questionable character with whom you seem to be so well-acquainted.
lol!
*Even after I mentally corrected this atrociously-worded paragraph and made it into something comprehensible, it made absolutely no sense to me. It brings to mind the phrase "grasping at straws"! I've read better posts of yours, and I know you can do better! Thus, it appears that the "... lot of now dead or senile high school teachers from the 1950s who achieved that goal repeatedly" actually did accomplish something and had a good effect upon your communication skills.

lol!
Lehrer
Lehrer
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by raqueteer Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:09 pm

Grammar and punctuation is for editors. Creativity is for forum members,
just sayin'.

raqueteer
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lehrer Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:51 pm

raqueteer wrote:Grammar and punctuation is for editors. Creativity is for forum members,
just sayin'.
Grammar and punctuation are for editors [and English teachers]. (Sorry, I just couldn't resist.)
And we have a long, long way to go for "creativity"!
lol! lol! lol! lol!
Lehrer
Lehrer
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by borderreiver Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:50 pm

CB. Are we setting new records for length of posts? I'm thinkin' Lehrer could set up one for south Lakeside. I'd be attentive to that and would love to see more south Lakeside content as a separate forum, especially if spellcheque is imbedded. jajaja.
Creativity would then run amok.
borderreiver
borderreiver
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : humor is spelt incorrectly

Back to top Go down

Post by Parker Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:49 pm

Lehrer wrote:
raqueteer wrote:Grammar and punctuation is for editors. Creativity is for forum members,
just sayin'.
Grammar and punctuation are for editors [and English teachers]. (Sorry, I just couldn't resist.)
lol! lol! lol! lol!

I’m sorry, but if teachers had done what they were paid to do, why are there so many of those that can’t wright. Skip the excuses, many were paid to do a job and totally failed. They went in thinking it would be easy and when they found out it wasn’t, just bailed. (This is long before drugs and parent neglect.)
My English teacher gave our class over to one of the students while she went out for a smoke (30 to 45 min. break).

I realize there were those that tried very hard but they didn’t help to monitor those that just didn’t know what they were doing. This is when I really understood the cliché “those that can, do, those that can’t teach.” Not much different from the “good old boy network”. Save someone else’s ass because you never know when you’ll need them to save yours.

Parker
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : WDWA none

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:59 am

Parker wrote:
Lehrer wrote:
just sayin'.
lol! lol! lol! lol!

I’m sorry, but if teachers had done what they were paid to do, why are there so many of those that can’t wright. Skip the excuses, many were paid to do a job and totally failed. They went in thinking it would be easy and when they found out it wasn’t, just bailed. (This is long before drugs and parent neglect.)
My English teacher gave our class over to one of the students while she went out for a smoke (30 to 45 min. break).

I realize there were those that tried very hard but they didn’t help to monitor those that just didn’t know what they were doing. This is when I really understood the cliché “those that can, do, those that can’t teach.” Not much different from the “good old boy network”. Save someone else’s ass because you never know when you’ll need them to save yours.

Hope it was a joke but wright is write and if it is not a joke maybe your point is being made. Agree bad teachers are hard to eliminate and teachers
like police and doctors do not control the bad apples within the groups.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by hound dog Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:06 am

[*Oh, Dawg!

I've read better posts of yours, and I know you can do better lol! [/quote]

I knew I knew you from some distant past. Say, Greenville (Alabama) High School circa 1960. That´s the first time, when you were assigned Dawg for your course in Advanced Engish, that you told me I could do better as a part of the following comment after grading my final test just prior to graduation; "Dawg, Ahm agonna pass you this time so you kin graduate (actually, you said "gradeeate") next week but hit´s mostly ´cause Ah cain´t stand ´nother year of them spitballs frum the back row. Ah also know you kin do better if you apply yosef."

Back then you were known as Dr. Scarborough and you were as wrong then as you are now. Dawg never did do better. I guess I never did get around to applying myself. I must say, you look pretty good for guy who must be in his 100s by now.

hound dog
hound dog
Bad Dawg
Bad Dawg

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:16 am

I think that dawg needs his rabies shots since he's foaming at the mouse again and dissing folks for no good reason.
Guadalajara - Page 4 633732

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lehrer Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:13 am

borderreiver wrote:CB. Are we setting new records for length of posts? I'm thinkin' Lehrer could set up one for south Lakeside. I'd be attentive to that and would love to see more south Lakeside content as a separate forum, especially if spellcheque is imbedded. jajaja.
Creativity would then run amok.
borderreiver, I see that you are a Senior Member with 79 posts (at this writing)! You must have missed my thread: South Shore -- Tizapán vs Mismaloya ( http://lakechapalainfo.forumotion.net/t1977-south-shore-tizapan-vs-mismaloya?highlight=Mismaloya )! At present, it's six (6) pages long; but you're welcome to join in the discussion.
Beer

Parker wrote:I’m sorry, but if teachers had done what they were paid to do, why are there so many of those that can’t wright. Skip the excuses, many were paid to do a job and totally failed.
Over the years, I've asked myself that same question many, many times. Unfortunately for me, I expressed my dismay in the teachers' lounge one day, in the presence of the English teacher who "taught" my students before they were assigned to me. She became irate and told me in no uncertain terms that they had been taught proper grammar, etc. I had to respond: "Well, if they were taught -- they should know better." I was not one of her favorite persons.
Blackeye

hound dog wrote:I knew I knew you from some distant past. Say, Greenville (Alabama) High School circa 1960. That´s the first time, when you were assigned Dawg for your course in Advanced Engish....
All is not lost; it appears that you have made some progress over the years. But I really have to ask: How the hell did you get into "Advanced English" in high school?

scratch

hound dog wrote:I must say, you look pretty good for guy who must be in his 100s by now.
This is a case of mistaken identity; I've never lived in Alabama.
(But you gave me a good laugh, really!)
cheers
Beer

Last edited by Lehrer on Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:16 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added punctuation: exclamation mark)
Lehrer
Lehrer
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hound dog Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:00 pm

[quote="gringal"]I think that dawg needs his rabies shots since he's foaming at the mouse again and dissing folks for no good reason.
Perhaps some here could welcome you to to reality. Gringa Gal despite your indisputedy ignorant understanding of the threads upon which you dance with no notion of even as to where the dance floor is even located. A classic example of the fact that you have no idea whrere you are or where you have been or where you are going. Lie down and scratch your buns cheesy redneck.

hound dog
hound dog
Bad Dawg
Bad Dawg

Back to top Go down

Post by Mainecoons Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:40 pm

Dawg, the government guys have been coming around giving rabies shots. This is your opportunity to get yours for nada!

In the mean time, Brigette, please fit the Dawg with a muzzle so he doesn't bite someone!

razberry
Mainecoons
Mainecoons
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Mad Magazine

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:46 pm

Dead Horse Dead Horse Dead Horse
gringal wrote:I think that dawg needs his rabies shots since he's foaming at the mouse again and dissing folks for no good reason.

I think the dog morphed into a burro,so no rabies shot required, just a riding crop layed across that huge trasero a couple hundred times might do the trick,but then again he might like it.
Chris

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Twain

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:33 pm

I usually have better sense that to comment on anything the Dawg has to say, which is usually multi-paragraphs of puffing about his own importance and mean spirited jibes at the rest of humanity.

Enough, already.
smash comp

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hound dog Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:59 pm

gringal wrote:I usually have better sense that to comment on anything the Dawg has to say, which is usually multi-paragraphs of puffing about his own importance and mean spirited jibes at the rest of humanity.

Enough, already.
smash comp

So, then, to what do we attribute your momentary lack of "better sense"? The transient need to engage in snotty repartee in order to fill your own windbag full of exhausted hot air?
hound dog
hound dog
Bad Dawg
Bad Dawg

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next