INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

car sticker

5 posters

Go down

car sticker Empty car sticker

Post by Gia Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:56 pm

Registered the car when we came in last year, in husbands name. He is a Mexican citizen so does the sticker have to be renewed every 6 months? Thanks for any help.

Gia

Back to top Go down

car sticker Empty Re: car sticker

Post by Intercasa Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:25 pm

Yes as the only way to extend (or not go to the border every 6 months) is with an FM3 or FM2... now.... I've seen Mexicans with US passports get FM3s solely to keep their cars past the 6 months!
Intercasa
Intercasa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Barbed wit

Back to top Go down

Post by Gia Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:26 pm

Thanks Spencer. Will let hubby know and see what he wants to do. How long does it usually take to get an FM2 or FM3? Thanks again.

Gia

Back to top Go down

Post by Rolly Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:40 am

I'm sorry to be a skunk at your picnic, but what your husband has done is illegal. The laws in both México and the USA are quite clear in regard to dual citizens -- a person is a citizen of the country s/he is in at the moment and can not, must not, claim to be a citizen of the other country.

When your husband used his USA passport to get his FMT and car permit, he committed an illegal act. That car permit is, therefore, void and the car is undocumented.

Spencer is right that there are Mexican citizens who use their USA passports to get FM3s, vehicle permits, etc; but that does it make it legal. If they get caught, they'll be in a heap of trouble.

Your husband should understand that if he goes down that path and gets caught, he'll be in a lot of trouble and could have his car confiscated.
Rolly
Rolly
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Weird

http://rollybrook.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Intercasa Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:47 am

She didn't say here husband got an FMT, Mexican citizens living in the US can get car permits good for 6 months if they show they have a US residency visa with 1 year left on it.

I agree that the FM3 thing is shaky at best, heck I can't figure out why they'd give a Mexican an FM3 when it says they were born in Mexico but they do.
Intercasa
Intercasa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Rolly Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:16 am

"...Mexican citizens living in the US can get car permits good for 6 months..."

Yes, but they can get only one every 365 days, so going back to border to get another is not going to work for him if he came in as a visiting Mexican. She should be able to get a permit in her name.

I theorize that it is this one-per-year rule for visiting Mexicans that has caused confusion in the minds of foreigners making them think, wrongly, that this rule applies to them also. It does not.
Rolly
Rolly
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Intercasa Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:30 am

I wonder if enforcement is like the 180 day FMT or now FMM?
Intercasa
Intercasa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Rolly Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:35 am

Sorry, I don't understand your question.
Rolly
Rolly
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Intercasa Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:45 am

Well they say you can only get one tourist card per year good for 180 days but in practice many have gone to the border and turned in the old card on day 179 or 180 and then obtained a new card good for another 6 months.

One may be able to do the same with a car permit if Mexican and almost a guarantee if you keep switching between husband and wife's name.
Intercasa
Intercasa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Demonio Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:19 am

Spencer, the one FMM per year rumor has been cleared up. There is no limit to the number of FMM's allowed. See Rolly's post on TOB HERE

I considered becoming a MX citizen and retaining my FM3, but abandoned the idea because even though I could probably get away with it, it's clearly against the law. Rolly's right, MX law clearly states that when a citizen of MX is also a citizen of one or more other countries, he/she shall always identify him/herself as a citizen of MX first while in MX.
Demonio
Demonio
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : None

Back to top Go down

Post by Rolly Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:28 am

There is not rule sayig only one FMT/FMM per year and never has been. It's a myth. This is my edited (shortened) quote from a post by a cyber friend in who I have great confidence.

Lic. Ismael Abarca INM and I had a wonderful one-hour chat on Thursday about the FMM. Actually I interviewed him, and he was gracious enough to telephone Morelia, and then Morelia telephoned the big enchilada in Mexico City to confirm (or deny) some of the claims that I have been gathering for the last several months about the FMM and it's regulations.
I specifically inquired as to the legality of exiting Mexico with the FMM on the 179th day, surrendering it, turning around and then obtaining a new FMM for 180-days. VERBATIM from Ismael "Some immigration officers do not like this; I think it best to wait a few hours or even overnight". This point was also clarified in Morelia and in Mexico City over the telephone.
Ismael telephoned Morelia in my presence and the DELEGADO FEDERAL HIMSELF telephoned Mexico City INM and inquired as to the existence of such a law. No one in INM ever heard even so much as a rumor and frankly they were puzzled that something like that was circulating.

Read the entire post here.
Rolly
Rolly
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Rolly Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:41 am

Looks like I was writing while Demonio was posting a link to the same information.

I have another reference, which I can't find this morning, which relates the same scenario -- local INM calls DF; DF says no such rule.
Rolly
Rolly
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Gia Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:37 pm

Ok, now that I am completely confused I guess we should contact somebody, but who. Hubby does not have a U S passport and is not a U S citizen. He is now a full time resident of Mexico with all the bells and whistles that go with living here. Costs to much to nationalize the stupid thing so that is out. Don't want to have to buy anything down here so I guess we punt. Rolling Eyes Gia

Gia

Back to top Go down

Post by johnwraps Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:18 pm

I think FM3 could get on after 6 months for applying. It still depends on your drivers' license. So you have to provide yourself a license if you still don't have one.

johnwraps

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down