INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

MANIX Restaurant Review

+6
E-raq
ComputerGuy
Parker
viajero
hound dog
johninajijic
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

MANIX Restaurant Review Empty MANIX Restaurant Review

Post by johninajijic Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:10 pm

Last night, Thursday July 5, eleven of us from our Semi Monthly Dinner group ate at Manix restaurant. We ordered our drinks, some ordered wine, one couple had a bottle while others had mixed drinks. We chatted for awhile before they took our orders. The waitress came over to take our orders. The choice of was Mixed salad with choice of 3 different dressings set on the table in bowls or Cream of Zuchinni aoup. We had Cream of Zuchinni soup. The soup or salad is included in the price of the meal. It was very good.

She took our orders. I had previously called when I made the reservation, spoke to Hector, the owner and asked if he would have 5 or 6 Osso Buco for those who liked it. He said he'd make it fresh. Several people ordered the Osso Buco. It comes with Fettucine Alfredo.

One person ordered Salmon. Another orderd some kind of Vegetarian dish. One person ordered Filet Mignon with mushroom sauce. One person ordered Ribs. I ordered what I always get, Veal Valdostanna, thin strips of Veal wrapped in prosciutto and cheese with a sauce. Instead of Fettucine Alfredo, I substitute the baked potato, veggies and corn souffle. One person ordered Breaded Shrimp with baked potato and veggies. Everyone liked their meals, except the person who ordered Breaded Shrimp. It was very greasy and he should have sent it back.

The wine was very expensive, $ 65 pesos a glass, more than a mixed drink. A Pina Colada was $ 55 pesos.

Manix is THE OLDEST restaurant in Ajijic, well over 25 years and very consistent. We highly recommend Manix. Tel: 766 9961 - Closed Sunday

Next restaurant review will be YVES. We haven't been in awhile.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sometimes

Back to top Go down

MANIX Restaurant Review Empty Re: MANIX Restaurant Review

Post by hound dog Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:32 am

Thanks for the review, John. As a Gulf Coast boy, I am quite fond of breaded fried shrimp which is a favorite dish on my native Alabama Gulf Coast and, while I´m sure several Manix dishes are very good, I always order the fried breaded shrimp there even though I eat out rarely. As any aficionado of fried breaded shrimp knows, the secret is in the tartar sauce and Manix´is pretty good considering that is not a sauce typically found in much of Mexico. I am sorry your amigo´s shrimp was greasy but recommend Manix´ fried shrimp to any readers here contemplating dining at Manix.

As a Mobile boy, I am always in search of the perfect tartar sauce but doubt that will ever be found down here in Mexico since tartar sauce is not a local delicacy here.

Since your next culinary adventure is destined to be Yves, you should have some fun there. Yves is an interesting guy and I´ll bet that he´ll make a fine tartar sauce to go with any seafood dishes ordered in advance since that is (except for the spelling) a French concoction.

hound dog
hound dog
Bad Dawg
Bad Dawg

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:37 am

Dawg - Thanks for your post. He did order the Fried Breaded Shrimp which was very greasy. He should have known better since he makes so much better at home. A specialty seldom found in North America is Baked Stuffed Shrimp stuffed with crabmeat, shrimp, ritz crackers and spices, sometimes clams are added to the mixture. Mmmmm.........good!
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:03 am

We make our Panko shrimp at home,never greasy,always good.

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Twain

Back to top Go down

Post by Parker Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:44 am

IMHO, the problem with any deep-fried food is the oil in which it’s fried. For non-greasy deep fried-foods one needs fairly high heat which can only happen in oil that has only been reheated a few times, the best of coarse is the first use. Oil breaks down fairly rapidly and reaches a burning point earlier with each use. And because of the cost of new oil is expensive and the low demand in many restaurants for deep-fried anything the oil gets reheated too many times. Pan fried is another issue but my feeling they are still reheating the oil too many times or they just over work the oil.

Parker
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : WDWA none

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:56 pm

hound dog wrote:
As a Mobile boy, I am always in search of the perfect tartar sauce but doubt that will ever be found down here in Mexico since tartar sauce is not a local delicacy here.
I got tired of looking for bottled tartar sauce that was any good, so I decided to try making some. The recipe is so simple, and makes just the best, in like five minutes. Maybe I should take it with me when I order breaded shrimp and fish.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Parker Sat Jul 07, 2012 3:02 pm

For a reasonably good tasting Tartar Sauce; Good mayonnaise, dill pickle relish and a hint of Worcestershire sauce. Try it. Very Happy

Parker
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by E-raq Sat Jul 07, 2012 3:39 pm

I make tartar sauce with mayo, capers and some chopped up olives, plus worcestershire. Works out fine for me.
E-raq
E-raq
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:58 pm

Lemme share:
• capers
• mayonnaise
• salad dressing (Miracle Whip) or not (mayo with sugar & mustard instead)
• onion powder/flakes
• lemon juice
• garlic salt
• dill relish
• salt & pepper
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by merry Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:37 pm

Parker wrote:For a reasonably good tasting Tartar Sauce; Good mayonnaise, dill pickle relish and a hint of Worcestershire sauce. Try it. Very Happy

AWESOME tartar sauce at Cafe Magana, which I hate to promote because he's like the Food Nazi.

Still, if anyone had that recipe...............

Merry

merry
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Chico Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:07 pm

Love Cafe Magana and everything on his menu, including tartar sauce. Also love his wry Brit humor which seems to be unsettling for some folks. Also love Manix and have incredible respect for Hector and all that he does for our community. chico

Chico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by merry Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:13 pm

Chico wrote:Love Cafe Magna and everything on his menu, including tartar sauce. Also love his wry Brit humor which seems to be unsettling for some folks.

Wry Brit humor to some, Food Nazi to others. Signs, signs everywhere demanding that I do this, do that to be a Proper Customer! Nowhere else have I been trained so severely to act appropriately. It reminds me of the Seinfeld Soup Nazi: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2lfZg-apSA

Merrry

Last edited by merry on Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:17 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Add link to The Soup Nazi)

merry
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Chico Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:54 pm

Then you may well remember the very long lines out his door, regardless of how he treated folks and refused to serve them. Geoffrey is doing an amazing business, provides wonderful food, good services, prices are a little high. Do not enter without understanding his sense of humor. Some folks are turned off, such as yourself, but the masses continue to go, laugh and enjoy. chico

Chico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Parker Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:09 pm

I guess we’re on to Magna; (sp?)

I enjoy his food but a little pricey, Love his humor but he is pretty up-tight about his rules and the environment could use some help, especially during the hot days.

Parker
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Chico Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:26 pm

OK, so I left out an "a". I do agree that going there is April and May is pretty unbearable with that aluminum roof that just sucks the heat into the restaurant. chico

Chico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by merry Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:50 am

Chico wrote:Then you may well remember the very long lines out his door, regardless of how he treated folks and refused to serve them. Geoffrey is doing an amazing business, provides wonderful food, good services, prices are a little high. Do not enter without understanding his sense of humor. Some folks are turned off, such as yourself, but the masses continue to go, laugh and enjoy. chico

Yes, exactly like the Soup Nazi. The food is 10, it's the atmosphere (signs everywhere training you how to be a correct customer) that SUCKS ROYALLY with a 0 rating.

Merry

merry
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:04 am

merry wrote:AWESOME tartar sauce at Cafe Magana, which I hate to promote because he's like the Food Nazi. Still, if anyone had that recipe...............Merry
Mine's better....................
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:29 am

What does tartar sauce have to do with a MANIX restaurant review? Why don't you start a separate thread on tartar sauce instead of hijacking a thread. Who gives a rats patooty about your recipe for tartar sauce. There are thousands on the internet.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:32 am

This is one webboard where people seem to enjoy the wandering of topics. Yet here you are, damning us all again for enjoying ourselves. Who gives a rat's ass about your judgment calls?
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by merry Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:34 am

johninajijic wrote:What does tartar sauce have to do with a MANIX restaurant review? Why don't you start a separate thread on tartar sauce instead of hijacking a thread. Who gives a rats patooty about your recipe for tartar sauce. There are thousands on the internet.

John, you may have started this topic, but you do not "own" it. To answer your question "What does tartar sauce have to do with a MANIX restaurant review" the very FIRST reply to your OP included this:

"As any aficionado of fried breaded shrimp knows, the secret is in the tartar sauce and Manix´is pretty good considering that is not a sauce typically found in much of Mexico."

You are welcome.
Merry

merry
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by merry Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:37 am

HelperGuy wrote:This is one webboard where people seem to enjoy the wandering of topics. Yet here you are, damning us all again for enjoying ourselves. Who gives a rat's ass about your judgment calls?

Helper Guy, I have enjoyed the discussion of tartar sauce, whether at MANIX or MAGANA or made at home. Will you share your recipe with us? Perhaps we can visit these restaurants to do a personal comparison. ;-)

Merry

merry
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:44 am

Hi, Merry: it's posted just a few blips above here... I reallly like Magana's, but this recipe I concocted from several I found is truly great.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hockables Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:04 am

has anyone seen my rabbit?? scratch
hockables
hockables
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Parker Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:17 am

Chico wrote:OK, so I left out an "a". I do agree that going there is April and May is pretty unbearable with that aluminum roof that just sucks the heat into the restaurant. chico

Chico, Sorry, didn’t mean to offend, because I didn’t know how to spell the name, seriously. Personally I think it’s extremely rude to correct an adults spelling. Once again Sorry.

Parker
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:18 am

merry wrote:
johninajijic wrote:What does tartar sauce have to do with a MANIX restaurant review? Why don't you start a separate thread on tartar sauce instead of hijacking a thread. Who gives a rats patooty about your recipe for tartar sauce. There are thousands on the internet.

John, you may have started this topic, but you do not "own" it. To answer your question "What does tartar sauce have to do with a MANIX restaurant review" the very FIRST reply to your OP included this:

"As any aficionado of fried breaded shrimp knows, the secret is in the tartar sauce and Manix´is pretty good considering that is not a sauce typically found in much of Mexico."

You are welcome.
Merry

Fried Breaded Shrimp. Almost any moron can make good fried breaded shrimp and it totally SUCKED at Manix last time. Very, very greasy. And any moron can make tartar sauce too.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next