INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rental Deposit

5 posters

Go down

Rental Deposit Empty Rental Deposit

Post by Lehrer Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:41 pm

A recent post about rental agencies asked about "the best" -- or something of that nature.

My question is a little different: If you contract with a rental agency and are required to pay a deposit upfront (usually 1st & last + a deposit equal to a month's rent), which agency is the most agreeable (to avoid the word "ethical") or disagreeable to deal with?

In other words, to those who have been faced with the termination of a contract: What has been your experience regarding the refund of your deposit? Haggling over cleaning fees? Damage to property? Anything else?

😕
Lehrer
Lehrer
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sometimes

Back to top Go down

Rental Deposit Empty Re: Rental Deposit

Post by gringal Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:48 pm

Just hearsay, mind you.......but I've heard that getting a rental deposit back is about as much fun as having a root canal without novocaine.
Buen suerte.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by oncesubtle Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:03 pm

Just to be contrary: Out of the 50 or so times we've rented our 4 apartments we've never charged a deposit and only once got stuck for a 500 peso fix-it (*&%^* dog). I mean jeez, we're renting to seniors looking for their place in paradise, not a bunch of wild assed teens on spring break.
oncesubtle
oncesubtle

Humor : After 2nd cup of coffee

Back to top Go down

Post by Lehrer Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:08 pm

oncesubtle wrote:Just to be contrary: Out of the 50 or so times we've rented our 4 apartments we've never charged a deposit and only once got stuck for a 500 peso fix-it (*&%^* dog). I mean jeez, we're renting to seniors looking for their place in paradise, not a bunch of wild assed teens on spring break.
Damn! You wouldn't happen to have a 2-bedroom, 2-bath house for rent (starting September 1st) would you???
:face:
Lehrer
Lehrer
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Intercasa Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:13 am

I've always collected a deposit as it keeps people on their best behavior but never had to keep a penny and people get the deposit back the moment they leave.
Intercasa
Intercasa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Barbed wit

Back to top Go down

Post by oncesubtle Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:50 am

Damn! You wouldn't happen to have a 2-bedroom, 2-bath house for rent (starting September 1st) would you???
:face: [/quote]

Yes, but rather than taking this opportunity to shamelessly market our apartments I'll send you a PM. Very Happy
oncesubtle
oncesubtle

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:04 am

oncesubtle wrote:
:face:

Yes, but rather than taking this opportunity to shamelessly market our apartments I'll send you a PM. Very Happy [/quote]

You sound like a great landlord. The people who've had the bad experiences weren't so lucky. Good for you! cheers

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by oncesubtle Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:07 pm

"You sound like a great landlord. The people who've had the bad experiences weren't so lucky. Good for you!" cheers [/quote]

Aw shucks gringal, thanks. We were two of those people who had a bad experience and vowed early on to create the experience we would have appreciated when we first arrived. 99% of our renters are people just like we were then; excited, nervous, mostly lost and bewildered as are most strangers in a strange land.

We've found respecting and trusting others creates a mutual bond and that's just good business. No deposit. 8)
oncesubtle
oncesubtle

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:05 pm

Yep, Bob is the best landlord Lakeside. We have stayed with him several times and he and Candace have become good friends. Some of my "most excellent adventures" in that area have been with him.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by Lehrer Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:26 pm

I've learned from various sources that the agency I'm dealing with leaves a lot to be desired. I should have known from the experience I had when I moved in: They were billing me for expenses left from the previous tenant! It took me MONTHS to get them to correct the charges.
Evil or Very Mad
That, together with the fact that getting repairs to the residence handled efficiently and in a timely manner has been like pulling hens' teeth, has caused me to decide that I don't want to deal with them any longer.
So, with the advice of several persons (one of whom is schooled in law), I decided that I would use the $550 USD "damage" deposit as the "next-to-last" month's rent. The last month is already in their hands (since 2006). That leaves a $200 USD telephone deposit. If I lose that, no biggy. Not so bad as losing $750 USD.
Twisted Evil
Lehrer
Lehrer
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down