INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lock and load

+4
gringal
ferret
bobnliz
oncesubtle
8 posters

Go down

Lock and load Empty Lock and load

Post by oncesubtle Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:53 am

Well so much for living across the street from the Chapala police station, a place I considered the safest lakeside. Yesterday at 5 p.m. state and local police hustled the perps. from the botched kidnapping into the jail and holy guacamole, the area went into siege mode. The shotgun cops were jackin' rounds into their chambers, the automatic rifle guys on the roof were loading extra magazines, the plain clothes police had their pistols drawn as they blocked street access with police vehicles and heavily armed officers. There must have been 40 of them with rifles and shotguns poking out behind every vehicle and every window, and there was a reserve welcoming committee assembled in the interior courtyard.

As no one was looking almost straight up the view from our 4th floor mirador was the perfect vantage point to 'enjoy' the hour long drama. A caravan of state police vehicles finally left at 6 and 15 minutes later all was back to normal on the safest street lakeside? scratch
oncesubtle
oncesubtle

Humor : After 2nd cup of coffee

Back to top Go down

Lock and load Empty Re: Lock and load

Post by bobnliz Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:22 am

Oh my! Sounds exciting. Guess they felt a good defense was the best way to prevent a potential offense.
You could serve refreshments Lock and load 169387 and we could reminisce about revolution and the 60s. Lizzy

PS I am obviously not up-to-date. What botched kidnapping? L 😕
bobnliz
bobnliz
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : wry ans dry

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:31 pm

No one was looking straight up?
Cripes, I hope La Familia doesn't have a sniper.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by oncesubtle Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:53 pm

Liz, the following newspaper article was posted by 'carcamal' on TOB

Chapala, Jalisco.- Yesterday afternoon gunmen attempted to kidnap the son of the leading merchant on Chapala's Malecón, but after they had shot and wounded him and were trying to force him into a pickup Municipal Police officers of that locality thwarted the kidnapping.

Uniformed officers pursued the gunmen for several blocks as they fled in a luxury pickup. A confrontation occurred that resulted in a patrol vehicle crashing into a residence and officers injured. Two of the suspects were arrested.

According to police it was determined that yesterday afternoon Joaquín Pérez Martínez, 22, arrived at location #16 in the well-known Chapala shopping center where he apparently operates a business.

Before he could enter the establishment he was intercepted by several armed subjects who attempted to abduct him but he was able to flee and as a result the individuals shot him.

Upon hearing the gunshots Chapala Municipal Police officers in patrol vehicle KH-032 responded to the scene and were met with gunfire by the subjects but were not injured.

Two of the criminals then chose to board a Pilot pickup and escape, while another four preferred to flee on foot.

The officers pursued the vehicle and along the way called for assistance from other uniformed officers while exchanging fire with the gunmen.

While turning onto Zaragoza Street in the Guadalupe neighborhood the driver of the aforementioned police vehicle lost control and collided into a residence and the officers were injured.

By that time other units had joined the chase. The subjects were forced to abandon the Pilot pickup and were arrested while attempting to flee on foot.

These subjects were identified as José Eduardo Yañez Calvillo, a resident of the town of Jocotepec, and Julio César Martínez Hernández, who said he lived in Apatzingán, Michoacán.

Authorities seized long arms and apparently also fragmentation grenades from the subjects. When questioned they said they were attempting to "pick up" Joaquín Pérez under orders of their "boss" with the nickname "400", who in turn works for a narcotics trafficker nicknamed "The Panther".

The prisoners added that for days they and other subjects had been staying at the Hotel Palmito in downtown Chapala while studying Joaquín's movements in order to kidnap him, but the plan failed.

The wounded youth was transported to a private hospital in Guadalajara in serious condition with a gunshot injury to the abdomen.
oncesubtle
oncesubtle

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:06 pm

That action almost deserves a spot on the "Darwin Awards" for ineptitude in criminal behavior.

It's good that the cops did their job well. The bad guys didn't.

Last edited by gringal on Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:52 pm; edited 2 times in total

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by Malaya Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:51 pm

This is very disturbing on many levels.

Other reports have them confessing that they are part of the La Familia narcos, which would explain the heavy reinforcements seen at the police station.

3 shooting in 3 days is not good.

There were also reports that they fled from Chapala towards Ajijic with the kidnappers shooting at the police vehicle and the police returning fire.

Malaya

Back to top Go down

Post by oncesubtle Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:23 pm

gringal wrote:That action almost deserves a spot on the "Darwin Awards" for ineptitude in criminal behavior.

I'll tell ya what gringal, if the bad guys would have tried to storm the police station they would have made the Darwin list, posthumously. Forget the stereotypical image of the fat lazy cop, these guys looked and acted like a well trained swat team.
oncesubtle
oncesubtle

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:48 pm

Wow it's sad to see that level of activity in quiet little Chapala. There's been a lot of action in the past year for a town of 40,000.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by bobnliz Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:39 pm

Thanks R-Bob, I am now thoroughly informed thanks to you. I'm guessing they speak of the Hotel Las Palmitas on Juarez next to the Plaza, unless there is another I'm not familiar with?

That's quite the saga. Sounds like Chapala's growing up fast. Sort of a shame. So glad the coppers got it together. Y'all stay safe, hear? Lizzy
bobnliz
bobnliz
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Demonio Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:54 am

oncesubtle wrote:Forget the stereotypical image of the fat lazy cop, these guys looked and acted like a well trained swat team.
I had breakfast with with 12 state police officers (my treat) on Sunday morning. Later that day, I understand 14 tons of cocaine was seized on the south shore and there was a 45 minute shootout between the police and the assholes. Three officers sustained life-threatening gunshot wounds and were airlifted to GDL. One died there and I don't know the fate of the other two. I hope that those I met earlier in the day weren't among the wounded. Great bunch of guys! Professional, courteous, friendly and dedicated. They're like family to me. Sad times at Lakeside!!!
Demonio
Demonio
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : None

Back to top Go down

Post by Demonio Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:15 am

oncesubtle wrote:Well so much for living across the street from the Chapala police station, a place I considered the safest lakeside. Yesterday at 5 p.m. state and local police hustled the perps.
I heard from others who live near the police station that the cries and pleads for mercy from the assholes could be heard for hours and blocks away. Not a good idea to shoot it out with the police - especially in Mexico.
Demonio
Demonio
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Intercasa Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:42 am

They never kill the SOBs. The police need to kill the bad guys. They arrest them and they get out soon and are back on the streets.
Intercasa
Intercasa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Barbed wit

Back to top Go down

Post by Demonio Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:58 am

Intercasa wrote:They never kill the SOBs. The police need to kill the bad guys. They arrest them and they get out soon and are back on the streets.
Spencer, the problem is that police officers are human beings with feelings. It's hard enough taking lives in self-defense or in defense of others. You carry that with you for life. Believe me, I know from personal experience. I can't imagine taking on the role of executioner. I can't imagine how you could live with that. I believe in due process. Also, there's no death penalty in Mexico. Tough times!
Demonio
Demonio
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by oncesubtle Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:44 am

Demonio wrote:
oncesubtle wrote:Well so much for living across the street from the Chapala police station, a place I considered the safest lakeside. Yesterday at 5 p.m. state and local police hustled the perps.
I heard from others who live near the police station that the cries and pleads for mercy from the assholes could be heard for hours and blocks away. Not a good idea to shoot it out with the police - especially in Mexico.

Just for clarification, the suspects were only at the Chapala police station for 1 hour and they made nary a sound but I'm sure they sang like canaries at the state police facility. Twisted Evil
oncesubtle
oncesubtle

Back to top Go down

Post by bobnliz Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:14 am

I wonder who it was heard "the cries and pleas for mercy"? Active imagination, that one.
Of course, that rumor might squelch the desire to acquire filthy lucre through less than honest means. In some, anyway. Lizzy
bobnliz
bobnliz
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Demonio Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:42 am

It's not uncommon for suspects to get "educated" when arrested in Mexico - especially when they shoot at the police. I heard it from a friend who is not prone to exaggeration. He was told by his mom who lives close to the police station that she and some neighbors heard the pleas for mercy. That said, I must defer to oncesubtle since he lives there and I don't. Plus, I heard it third hand.
Demonio
Demonio
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down