INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lobster

+11
mattoleriver
zenwoodle
ferret
ComputerGuy
E-raq
Walter
barbicheesecake
Zedinmexico
sparks
johninajijic
SunsetKid
15 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Lobster - Page 2 Empty Re: Lobster

Post by mattoleriver Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:10 am

zenwoodle wrote:
FYI John. Nova Scotia is not an island. Cape Breton is an island. Digby is on the mainland of Nova Scotia.
Just a slip of the lip, he probably meant Rhode Island. drunk

George

mattoleriver
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by E-raq Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:12 pm

Actually I had crepes stuffed with Mexican lobster last night. Not the greatest by any stretch of the imagination. No comparison at all to Maine or Canadian lobster.
E-raq
E-raq
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:06 pm

Where did you have these crepes?
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Axixic Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:07 pm

mattoleriver wrote:Just a slip of the lip, he probably meant Rhode Island.

Are you kidding?
Axixic
Axixic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:10 pm

You all are some lucky folks,complaining about the quality or provenance of the lobster you're eating. lol!

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Twain

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:40 pm

viajero wrote:You all are some lucky folks,complaining about the quality or provenance of the lobster you're eating. lol!

Lucky, NOT. We know what REAL Lobster is and it doesn't exist here. If you want to call that Spiny Lobster from the warm water, lobster, go ahead, but it's crap compared to Maine and Nova Scotia lobster.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sometimes

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:09 pm

johninajijic wrote:
viajero wrote:You all are some lucky folks,complaining about the quality or provenance of the lobster you're eating. lol!

Lucky, NOT. We know what REAL Lobster is and it doesn't exist here. If you want to call that Spiny Lobster from the warm water, lobster, go ahead, but it's crap compared to Maine and Nova Scotia lobster.

To be fair makes a good lobster roll or cake in my opinion.
Besides I like claw meat and you don't get that down here
as they have no claws.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:12 pm

Kind of interesting that someone who doesn't like lobster by his own admission has so many opinions about the critter that he tries to force on people!

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:20 pm

CheenaGringo wrote:Kind of interesting that someone who doesn't like lobster by his own admission has so many opinions about the critter that he tries to force on people!

Don't put words in my mouth. I said I am sick of it and I said before I like
lobster rolls and cakes and still do. Are you saying claw less lobsters taste
better than cold clawed lobsters CG?? I wouldn't try that argument. I allowed
to have my opinion regardless of what you think and I think I am qualified
to talk about Lobsters. Ever pulled a lobster pot? I have many many times.
You can only eat so much rich food like lobster before most people get tired
of it. Also what makes you think I am forcing my opinion on anybody. Every
body here has free will. I know you don't like me but what an unfair post C.G.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:56 pm

Zed:

Please! If I was referring to anything you said, would have said so. I am talking about the food critic and expert on everything. I don't much care since I am deathly allergic to lobster and all shellfish - so there is only bad as far as I am concerned! HA!

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by E-raq Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:31 pm

HelperGuy wrote:Where did you have these crepes?

Karmina Palace, Manzanillo, a quick getaway.
E-raq
E-raq
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ComputerGuy Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:21 pm

Are you allowed in that restaurant at Karmina if you are not staying there? I see they, too, are advertising all-in-ones... hard times for everyone, even them.
ComputerGuy
ComputerGuy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:31 pm

Went to theirs last year, so it's nothing new.
We did want to show our room and the facilities to some friends staying elsewhere last year, but they weren't allowed to come inside from the parking lot.....at all.

I suppose some cheapo types would try to sneak into the buffet or the pool: but then.....seems like a hardass policy. They could put special wrist thingies on the in and out visitors...but it's their party, so they get to make the rules.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by E-raq Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:42 pm

HelperGuy wrote:Are you allowed in that restaurant at Karmina if you are not staying there? I see they, too, are advertising all-in-ones... hard times for everyone, even them.

It's hard to say, they did have a menu with prices on it, so perhaps they do allow it. The view is great.
E-raq
E-raq
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:29 pm

gringal wrote:Went to theirs last year, so it's nothing new.
We did want to show our room and the facilities to some friends staying elsewhere last year, but they weren't allowed to come inside from the parking lot.....at all.

I suppose some cheapo types would try to sneak into the buffet or the pool: but then.....seems like a hardass policy. They could put special wrist thingies on the in and out visitors...but it's their party, so they get to make the rules.

That is pretty much the same at all the All Inclusives from what I've heard. You're right about the cheapos.

We went to Karmina Palace about 2 years ago with Viajes Ajijic when our regular Nuevo Vallarta hotel was closed for renovations. The place is huge and not conducive to handicapped people due to walking distances. I was supposed to get a room near the restaurants and pool, but they put mw way down away from those areas making it very difficult for me. I asked them to put me close to restaurants and pool. They were totally uncooperative. Horrible people to deal with. They said the hotel was full. A load of BS.

The hotel is huge. Rooms are suites, beds hard as a rock. Food mediocre and food selection in the Buffet nothing compared to the Occidental Nuevo Vallarta Hotel. Food selection daily didn't change much either. The food at the Italian and Japanese restaurant was good. The Japanese restaurant was so disorganized it looked like they just opened that day. The food at the Occidental changes daily with no leftover food used.

Karmina has 5 or 6 pools and water slides for kids. Who cares. Occidental has two pools. The shows at Karmina were very much mediocre while the shows at Occidental are very professional. Now the beach, what beach at Karmina, NONE. Occidental Allegro Nuevo Vallarta has appx a 300 foot long sandy beach with clean water. The Karmina Palace is $ 181 US. Book at the newly remodeled ($ 15 million renovation) Occidental Grand Nuevo Vallarta for $ 159.

FYI - I have friends who went to the Riu Jalisco and they said it cannot compare to the Occidental. Other friends went to Samba and said the same thing. What's nice about the Occidental is that it's across the street from the Paradise Mall.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:13 pm

Glad to see that John is "on top of his game" by running down any place he isn't going and making sure that everyone is aware that his choice is the absolute best! By the way, your hotel is offering room packages for $99/night during the same period you will be staying there.

Last edited by CheenaGringo on Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by E-raq Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:42 pm

johninajijic wrote:
gringal wrote:Went to theirs last year, so it's nothing new.

That is pretty much the same at all the All Inclusives from what I've heard. You're right about the cheapos.

We went to Karmina Palace about 2 years ago with Viajes Ajijic when our regular Nuevo Vallarta hotel was closed for renovations. The place is huge and not conducive to handicapped people due to walking distances. I was supposed to get a room near the restaurants and pool, but they put mw way down away from those areas making it very difficult for me. I asked them to put me close to restaurants and pool. They were totally uncooperative. Horrible people to deal with. They said the hotel was full. A load of BS.

The hotel is huge. Rooms are suites, beds hard as a rock. Food mediocre and food selection in the Buffet nothing compared to the Occidental Nuevo Vallarta Hotel. Food selection daily didn't change much either. The food at the Italian and Japanese restaurant was good. The Japanese restaurant was so disorganized it looked like they just opened that day. The food at the Occidental changes daily with no leftover food used.

Karmina has 5 or 6 pools and water slides for kids. Who cares. Occidental has two pools. The shows at Karmina were very much mediocre while the shows at Occidental are very professional. Now the beach, what beach at Karmina, NONE. Occidental Allegro Nuevo Vallarta has appx a 300 foot long sandy beach with clean water. The Karmina Palace is $ 181 US. Book at the newly remodeled ($ 15 million renovation) Occidental Grand Nuevo Vallarta for $ 159.

FYI - I have friends who went to the Riu Jalisco and they said it cannot compare to the Occidental. Other friends went to Samba and said the same thing. What's nice about the Occidental is that it's across the street from the Paradise Mall.

Oh dear Lord give me patience.

1. They have wheelchairs, I used one when we headed for the Mexican restaurant which is admittedly pretty distant.
2. The beds are great, and they offer a choice of pillows. Grain, orthopedic or goose down.
3. My my, uncooperative, hmm, not my experience. The general manager took care of everything for us, and sent two special bottles of tequila to our room on the top floor, along with special treats every night. Of course not being cheapos, we did upgrade to Premium, possibly you did not.
4. Obviously you know absolutely nothing about Japanese food. It was appalling! I on the other hand have had 50 years of experience eating Japanese food in Toronto.
5.The Italian restaurant was acceptable, nice artichoke soup.
6. The breakfast buffet was without exception the best we have experienced in Mexico.

I never attend amateur shows, so didn't see one.
We are not beach people, but do on occasion appreciate a nice clean pool. At Karmina, there is one adult only pool, 18 and over. There is also a hot tub, waterfalls and spectacular grounds. Perhaps you missed that part. The beach was small but clean unlike the beach at P.V. Lovely lounge beds for couples, complete with flowing white drapes. Sensational.

For a nice premium suite with a good view, expect to pay approximately $200 a night.This includes free room service, higher end liquors, all tips, all taxes and first rate service 24/7. Enormous bathroom with a shower and a tub, his and her sinks, and very nice bath salts etc.

Oh yes, forgot to mention, some of the staff don't speak English. Fluent Spanish is an asset, although not one of yours apparently. That could be awkward.
E-raq
E-raq
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:45 pm

CheenaGringo wrote:Glad to see that John is "on top of his game" by running down any place he isn't going and making sure that everyone is aware that his choice is the absolute best! By the way, your hotel is offering room packages for $99/night during the same period you will be staying there.

I was just online and didn't see that. Makes no difference we're not paying the price I quoted off their website. You could easily afford the high prices, but we cannot.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:54 pm

Oh fer Chrissake, John, cut that out!!!
You could easily afford the high prices, but we cannot.

"crying Poormouth" is considered crass, whether you are or aren't poor.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:02 pm

E Raq - I just told you of my experience "truthfully". The staff was horrible.

At the Occidental, they bend over backwards an will do anything for you. How do I know? We;ve been going to the Occidental for 8 years and we know the Manager.

Unfortunately, Karmina will NEVER measure up especially because it's OLD.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by E-raq Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:25 pm

johninajijic wrote:E Raq - I just told you of my experience "truthfully". The staff was horrible.

At the Occidental, they bend over backwards an will do anything for you. How do I know? We;ve been going to the Occidental for 8 years and we know the Manager.

Unfortunately, Karmina will NEVER measure up especially because it's OLD.

A lot of old things are really quite spectacular, while a lot of new things such as McMansions are a horrifying blight on the landscape. Gobbling up beautiful old colonial homes and creating a spreading stain of poor taste wherever they are to be found.

You had your experience, and we had ours. Let's just agree that they were worlds apart.

Personally I prefer older hotels such as the Virrey de Mendoza in Morelia, or perhaps the Crillon Paris, Baur au lac Zurich, or the Ritz in Barcelona. To each his own. To me the modern hotels will NEVER meet my expectations.

I would trade one night in any of the aforementioned hotels vs. a month in any new monstrosity which caters to the lowest common denominator. So price is not a factor, discernment is! The best hotels have had to earn their well deserved reputations. It is the old quality vs. quantity argument.

It's rather like comparing an older educated sophisticated woman with a cheap tart.
E-raq
E-raq
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:38 pm

The Occidental hotel chain HAS earned its quality reputation the world over. Maybe you don't know that they are everywhere, not just in Mexico.

Can the Barcelo Hotel chain claim to be worldwide and quality too?

Yes, we had two very different experiences and when they don't treat handicapped guests with respect, I wash my hands of them. Good riddance to bad rubbish. There is NO character to that hotel. Take off your rose colored glasses.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:48 pm

E-raq:

Are you enjoying beating your head against the wall attempting to use logic? We happen to agree about older hotels with character and a class that cannot be achieved without history and taste. Just out of curiosity, I went and looked at photos of the Occidental (post rehab) and it certainly wouldn't be high on our list with its gaudy features that don't speak one bit to Mexico. I would put CasAntica in Oaxaca up for comparison any day. Certainly the building had a history since it was a convent back in the 16th century but I defy one to find a shortcoming due to its history.

It was unfair of you to use hotel examples where John has never been. Heck, he is still voicing opinions about current day San Miguel de Allende based upon an eight year old experience!

I speak for myself but this playing of the handicap card is getting really old!

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:50 pm

CG - Try looking at the ones after rehab.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:52 pm

Reading comprehension John! In parenthesis (post rehab) - that means after rehab.

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by E-raq Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:22 pm

johninajijic wrote:The Occidental hotel chain HAS earned its quality reputation the world over. Maybe you don't know that they are everywhere, not just in Mexico.

Can the Barcelo Hotel chain claim to be worldwide and quality too?

Yes, we had two very different experiences and when they don't treat handicapped guests with respect, I wash my hands of them. Good riddance to bad rubbish. There is NO character to that hotel. Take off your rose colored glasses.

I am currently among the handicapped. I got treated with respect, what was your problem?

Yes the Barcelo chain is worldwide, which you would know if you had looked.

It may not be on the same level as some chains, but for the price it is a very good deal.
E-raq
E-raq
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next