INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

TRATTORIA DI POMODORO Restaurant Review - In Guadalajara

5 posters

Go down

TRATTORIA DI POMODORO Restaurant Review - In Guadalajara Empty TRATTORIA DI POMODORO Restaurant Review - In Guadalajara

Post by joec Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:37 pm

Today we took a trip to our favorite Italian restaurant in GDL, called Trattoria di Pomodoro. We usually stop here on our way to Costco at Galerias Plaza as it's convenient.

You have a choice of salad from the salad bar with the freshest ingredients you can get, including iceberg and romaine lettuce, cucumbers, cherry tomatos, beets, carrot srtips, cauliflower, chick peas, alfalfa and croutons. Choice of dressings are Italian, oil and vinegar, Ranch and Thousand Island dressing. Fresh buttered garlic bread is put on the table too.

I had my favorite Spinach Ravioli (spinach and ricotta cheese) with Pomodoro sauce (no meat). There are 25 small Ravioli in a delicious sweet, non acidy sauce. You can choose from either Pomodoro, Marinara or Bolognese sauce. My partner ordered the Fettucine Carbonara (not on the menu), but they'll make it for you as it's basically Fettucine Alfredo with Serrano ham. As always it was delicious and very creamy. The bill was 245 pesos for both dishes and 2 soft drinks!

The menu consists of about 15 pasta dishes, anything you can imagine. Also, about 8 - 10 Veal dishes, 8 - 10 Chicken dishes and 8 - 10 Seafood and Fish dishes. They have every kind of Pizza listed on the menu too. In the rear is the bar with about 150 bottles of wine in the racks. Let me not be too negative, but I'll say that no Italian restaurant in Ajijic can come close to this for quality of food and service.

We usually go around 1:00 PM, when they open before the Comida crowd starts arriving at 2:00 PM. They crowd the restaurant daily. Stay in the left lane of Ninos Heroes as you will cross the road to their private parking lot on the opposite side of the street.

It is located on 3051 Ninos Heroes (TEL. NO. 01 33 3122 1817) just off the rotary at Ave Lopez Mateos North and South. Daily hours are 1:00 PM to 12:00 AM.

joec
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sometimes

Back to top Go down

TRATTORIA DI POMODORO Restaurant Review - In Guadalajara Empty Re: TRATTORIA DI POMODORO Restaurant Review - In Guadalajara

Post by E-raq Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:49 pm

Our favorite is El Italiano on Avenida Mexico.

They have wonderful food, and a smoking section.
E-raq
E-raq
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

TRATTORIA DI POMODORO Restaurant Review - In Guadalajara Empty Re: TRATTORIA DI POMODORO Restaurant Review - In Guadalajara

Post by gringal Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:55 pm

Is this restaurant "around the lake"?? Nope.

Guadalajara is a place from which, after doing necessary tasks, I exit and speed home as quickly as possible. After that traffic, a stiff drink makes any local food more tasty.

Maybe we need a separate sub thread for "restaurants outside the lakeside area".

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by joec Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:13 pm

gringal wrote:Is this restaurant "around the lake"?? Nope.

Guadalajara is a place from which, after doing necessary tasks, I exit and speed home as quickly as possible. After that traffic, a stiff drink makes any local food more tasty.

Maybe we need a separate sub thread for "restaurants outside the lakeside area".

To each his own. It's nice to do something extra rather than just drive in and out of GDL to Costco. BORING and I'm tiring of it after 11 years putting up with all the morons on the road who cut you off with no signals!!! And you can get a good meal too.

joec
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by David Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:40 pm

We too like Il Pomodoro. Last week we dined at two new places in Providencia; CONtenador and Parallelo 28, both excellent. CON is a bistro with fresh fish, rustic pizzas, and lots of simple fare. An excellent microbrew selection and nice wine list. Parallelo 28 is "Baja estillo" seafood and other dishes. VERY nice. There are many good restuarants on Av. Providencia. I want to try them all!
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Good

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:49 pm

joec wrote:Today we took a trip to our favorite Italian restaurant in GDL, called Trattoria di Pomodoro. We usually stop here on our way to Costco at Galerias Plaza as it's convenient.

You have a choice of salad from the salad bar with the freshest ingredients you can get, including iceberg and romaine lettuce, cucumbers, cherry tomatos, beets, carrot srtips, cauliflower, chick peas, alfalfa and croutons. Choice of dressings are Italian, oil and vinegar, Ranch and Thousand Island dressing. Fresh buttered garlic bread is put on the table too.

I had my favorite Spinach Ravioli (spinach and ricotta cheese) with Pomodoro sauce (no meat). There are 25 small Ravioli in a delicious sweet, non acidy sauce. You can choose from either Pomodoro, Marinara or Bolognese sauce. My partner ordered the Fettucine Carbonara (not on the menu), but they'll make it for you as it's basically Fettucine Alfredo with Serrano ham. As always it was delicious and very creamy. The bill was 245 pesos for both dishes and 2 soft drinks!

The menu consists of about 15 pasta dishes, anything you can imagine. Also, about 8 - 10 Veal dishes, 8 - 10 Chicken dishes and 8 - 10 Seafood and Fish dishes. They have every kind of Pizza listed on the menu too. In the rear is the bar with about 150 bottles of wine in the racks. Let me not be too negative, but I'll say that no Italian restaurant in Ajijic can come close to this for quality of food and service.

We usually go around 1:00 PM, when they open before the Comida crowd starts arriving at 2:00 PM. They crowd the restaurant daily. Stay in the left lane of Ninos Heroes as you will cross the road to their private parking lot on the opposite side of the street.

It is located on 3051 Ninos Heroes (TEL. NO. 01 33 3122 1817) just off the rotary at Ave Lopez Mateos North and South. Daily hours are 1:00 PM to 12:00 AM.

Good for you Joe. It's nice to see people venture away from the lake.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:28 pm

After 5 "ventures" in the last month for various reasons (not including Costco), enough is enough. But it's nice to hear about a good restaurant anyway.

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by joec Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:20 am

A couple of other good restaurants are Talento on Ave La Paz about 1 block up frpm Chaputepec. Excellent Asian food. Across the street is Focaccia (Italian) in La Paz, not nearly as good as Pomodoro.

Nearby is Due Gourmet Italiano on Lerdo de Tejada, same street as Santo Coyote is on near the Ave Chapultepec end. More expensive than Pomodoro, good food and good wine list and NOT Handicapped friendly like Pomodoro.

joec
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by David Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:06 am

Around the corner from Santo Coyote is Tinto Y Blanco, excellent food and the best wine list in Guadalajara.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by joec Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:59 am

David wrote:Around the corner from Santo Coyote is Tinto Y Blanco, excellent food and the best wine list in Guadalajara.

Thanks David. I forgot to mention that one. It has "excellent" food and wine, both steaks and Italian. We ate at Santo Coyote once, never again, it's all fluff for tourists.

joec
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by David Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:29 pm

Agree about Santo Coyote. I do recommend it for newcomers and tourists though.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by E-raq Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:27 pm

Have none of you ever been to El Italiano? We just love it and almost always stop there if in Guadalajara for the day. GREAT eggplamt parmigiano, super minestrone, and every other imaginable Italian treat. Plus they have an excellent Gelato bar at the front. Good as being in Italy IMO. Better, it's without all the crime and rip offs we experienced there.

Try it next time, I promise no regrets.

E-raq
E-raq
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by David Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:00 pm

I have been to El Italiano several times. I too like it very much. Just up Avenida Mexico from there is La Matera, one of the best Argentine Steakhouses in Guadalajara.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down