INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New immigration laws

+17
juanrey
Sideways
SunshineyDay
sparks
bennie#2
hound dog
David
CheenaGringo
RoofBob
Jim W
viajero
joec
TexMex
Zedinmexico
Parker
E-raq
jrm30655
21 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

New immigration laws - Page 2 Empty Re: New immigration laws

Post by sparks Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:12 pm

Couldn't find the Guad Reporter article .... have a link?

sparks
Share Holder
Share Holder

http://sparksmex.blogspot.mx/

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:22 pm

Here is the link: http://theguadalajarareporter.com/news-mainmenu-82/lake-chapala-mainmenu-84/32299-chapala-immigration-chief-answers-faqs.html

I don't have an online subscription but maybe someone who does can post the full contents?

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by sparks Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:23 pm

They usually don't restrict new articles ... so I thought maybe maybe one of the older ones
sparks
sparks
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : The joke's on me

http://sparksmex.blogspot.mx/

Back to top Go down

Post by jrm30655 Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:38 pm

sparks wrote:Couldn't find the Guad Reporter article .... have a link?

Sorry, I got it out of the paper today.

Looks like chapala is back in the fold with everyone else. Now, we just have to get the facilitators on board.

Also, I stated incorrectly on one of the boards that I knew of someone who had gone back to the states to start over because of financials. That was only partly correct. They actually had a 180 day visa and have been renewing it for years. A few of us got together and we are fixing that problem so in 6 months, they should have a permanent visa.

jrm30655
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by SunshineyDay Sat Dec 22, 2012 6:40 pm

Folks don't forget that this is all about money. Looks like the US and Mexico are in cohotes.

SunshineyDay
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by David Sat Dec 22, 2012 6:43 pm

What's with the non-word "cohotes?" US and Mexico are in North America. This is about Immigration not money.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Good

Back to top Go down

Post by viajero Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:50 pm

SunshineyDay wrote:Folks don't forget that this is all about money. Looks like the US and Mexico are in cohotes.
Rolling Eyes

viajero
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Twain

Back to top Go down

Post by David Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:02 pm

Cohetes? Cahoots? Cohotes!
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by bennie#2 Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:11 pm

david, its always the bottom line: money. they raised the price of the visa, & also thought the new regs would bring in more $$. maybe attract a better "class" of people. if they wanted that they should make it like 10,000 usd a month. wouldnt out it past them, its goverment we are talking about.

bennie#2
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by David Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:20 pm

It's good to know that someone knows exactly what the Mexican government is thinking. Perhaps you should read the law. BTW, we'll be sure to check with you to get the inside scoop on the EPN administration.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by jrm30655 Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:14 am

I think MX is trying to make it easier on people wanting to retire here. Under the new rules, if you want to retire here, you can go to a consulate, fill out everything, prove financials and get a permanent visa and you are done.

If you don't have the higher financials but do have the lower, you get a 4 year temp visa and then convert it after 4 years, no financials.

This is really simple compared to some other countries in Latin and South America.

jrm30655
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:15 am

jrm30655 wrote:I think MX is trying to make it easier on people wanting to retire here. Under the new rules, if you want to retire here, you can go to a consulate, fill out everything, prove financials and get a permanent visa and you are done.

If you don't have the higher financials but do have the lower, you get a 4 year temp visa and then convert it after 4 years, no financials.

This is really simple compared to some other countries in Latin and South America.

I agree.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by Sideways Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:56 am

jrm30655 wrote:I think MX is trying to make it easier on people wanting to retire here. Under the new rules, if you want to retire here, you can go to a consulate, fill out everything, prove financials and get a permanent visa and you are done.

Not sure the Gov. is being friendly to newbies:

Income required for a new 4 year temporaral is $1900 per month, while the average SS payment is only $1200 per month. I agree INM is protecting the 'been heres' but isn't looking to expand that base, unless the expats are much more affluent. It's still unclear whether EACH person of a married couple needs to meet the income requirement; that could rule out many.

And, for those folks still 'on the fence' about retiring here, who have been following these changes, the message is clear: Caution; things can change at any time. That's scary to many people at this time of their lives. I think expat house buying in Mexico will dry up, based on the perceived (whether true or not) roll-of-the-dice mentality of the Mexican government in how they want to treat expats.

Sideways
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by David Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:20 am

When we moved here over 7 years ago the income requirement was $1500. Increasing it to $1900 barely keeps up with inflation.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by juanrey Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:35 am

If a person doesn't meet the financial requirements they can always go with the tourist visa and duck out of the country for 24 hours and come right back. And I think that is probably going to be a new business down here in the future, ferrying people who have reached their 180 days up to the border and bringing them right back.
I really don't know what the big deal is all about except for all the unknowns and confusion with something that is new.
Whomever thinks that the Mexican government is so stupid as to increase the requirements to keep people out must think they are stupid. Different? Maybe. Stupid, I don't think so.
If you want to see Stupid, just look at the US.
juanrey
juanrey
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : George Carlin

https://sites.google.com/site/ouradventureinchapala/

Back to top Go down

Post by David Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:47 am

juanrey wrote: If you want to see Stupid, just look at the US.

Boy howdy!
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:50 am

I find the new rules to be a positive change. Being able to get permanent residence right off the bat is great. No more of this yearly cost and hassle. I think it will have little effect on those already living here with an FM2 or 3.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by joec Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:18 am

Sideways wrote:

Not sure the Gov. is being friendly to newbies:

Income required for a new 4 year temporaral is $1900 per month, while the average SS payment is only $1200 per month. I agree INM is protecting the 'been heres' but isn't looking to expand that base, unless the expats are much more affluent. It's still unclear whether EACH person of a married couple needs to meet the income requirement; that could rule out many.

And, for those folks still 'on the fence' about retiring here, who have been following these changes, the message is clear: Caution; things can change at any time. That's scary to many people at this time of their lives. I think expat house buying in Mexico will dry up, based on the perceived (whether true or not) roll-of-the-dice mentality of the Mexican government in how they want to treat expats.

I'm not sure if you have to prove the $ 1,900 a month IF you have enough money "sitting" in a bank account either here or in the US. I couldn't prove putting $ 1,900 US a month into my Mexican bank account, as I receive less than $ 1,900 a month, so I gave my facilitator 3 months statements showing a fairly high amount in my US checking account. You can always use your Investment account too. I think everyone here has investments that would make them qualify for whatever INM card you needed.

joec
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sometimes

Back to top Go down

Post by David Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:52 am

Perhaps you should read the new law John. You're off-base again and just adding to the confusion.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:09 am

Correct me if I'm wrong, but what I hear is that the 180 day visa can only be issued once in a year. If that's so, then the "ferrying back and forth" system would not work.

No matter what restrictions are on newcomers, the fact is they don't HAVE TO move to Mexico. Nobody is chasing them away from home. It's true that some desirable communities have become nearly impossible to remain in on a pension, but there are others more affordable. People do what they must.

As far as worrying about the power of the government, lets get real: unless we are citizens, we shouldn't expect to have the full rights of citizens of any country.

In the U.S.A., the government can glom onto your property with minimal compensation by the power of eminent domain. The building codes are so strict in some states that they can "red tag" your house and keep you from living in it.

Our perceived rights, anywhere, may be delusional. It is one thing to enjoy what you own and another to be "attached". True freedom is knowing you can get on a bus, a plane or a car (or even by foot, surreptitiously) and leave a place without your stuff, abandoning your property, never looking back and never letting your losses ruin your life.
Many of our ancestors did exactly that when they had to. Many people in other countries torn by conflict are doing so right now.
Reference material: "Fiddler on the Roof"
Meanwhile,
flag waver

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by David Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:17 am

According to the head of the INM office in Chapala, one can exit the country and return immediately on a new tourist visa. Also, if you are here already on a No-inmigrante or Inmigrante Visa (old FM3/FM2) at the end of 4 years you AUTOMATICALLY QUALIFY for Residente Permanente and no financial or income proof is required. See the interview with him in the current issue of the Guadalajara Reporter.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:17 am

gringal wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but what I hear is that the 180 day visa can only be issued once in a year. If that's so, then the "ferrying back and forth" system would not work.

I thought so also but some say that rule has been changed. Soooooo who know LOL.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:26 am

Yes, I've heard it both ways. It's a "who knows" at this point.
That interview with the INM man had a bit of dodginess in it, IMO. After some people's experiences they've recounted on TOB and here, let us hope that the law is applied even handedly across the country, even here in Chapala. Rolling Eyes
I'm not personally concerned about this since it seems that we who have 8 or 9 years on FM3 and FM2 are shoo-ins. It's the newbies who may have a problem.

Last edited by gringal on Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:37 am; edited 1 time in total

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by joec Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:29 am

David wrote:Perhaps you should read the new law John. You're off-base again and just adding to the confusion.

If I'm off base, why did I NOT have to show a monthly income of $ 1,900 US?

Really, you know that there has been so many OPINIONS posted on here that it is very, very confusing.

NO ONE has posted facts and explained in detail:
Income requirements, Income requirements if married, Income requirements if owning a house, Income requirements if Married and owning a house.

And the other confusing thing is when you go from old FM 3 to FM 2, do you get an INM Immigrado card for 1, 2, 3 or 4 years. When can you get a Resident Permanente card?

When do you get a Residente Permanente card and what are the advantages.

So, David, please explain this to me.

joec
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:39 am

John:

Did you not renew your FM2?

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by joec Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:43 am

CheenaGringo wrote:John:

Did you not renew your FM2?

I never had an FM 2, I had an FM 3 for 10 years and went to an FM 2 (old designation), so I believe it's called a Residente Temporal???

joec
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next