INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New immigration laws

+17
juanrey
Sideways
SunshineyDay
sparks
bennie#2
hound dog
David
CheenaGringo
RoofBob
Jim W
viajero
joec
TexMex
Zedinmexico
Parker
E-raq
jrm30655
21 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

New immigration laws - Page 3 Empty Re: New immigration laws

Post by joec Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:43 am

CheenaGringo wrote:John:

Did you not renew your FM2?

I never had an FM 2, I had an FM 3 for 10 years and went to an FM 2 (old designation), so I believe it's called a Residente Temporal???

joec
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:45 am

For further clarification, did you do this prior to the new law taking effect - ie: Oct or early Nov?

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by joec Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:48 am

CheenaGringo wrote:For further clarification, did you do this prior to the new law taking effect - ie: Oct or early Nov?

Yes. I thought it was supposed to be better.

joec
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sometimes

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:48 am

Does anyone know why the new INMIGRANTE card shows the owner of this document is a resident of Mexico, yet shows expiration in one year.....i.e. mine issued 25/09/2012- Expiration 25/09/2013?
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Whenever I need it!

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:04 am

John:

That being the case, it would appear to me that you were qualifying under the old rules and therefore your comments about the new qualifying amounts had no basis in fact. It appears to me that as long as there are valid and current FM3 & FM2 cards out there - there will be ongoing confusion about who is talking about what!

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sideways Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:06 am

Immigrante is NOT permanent resident status.

Immigrante is what was an FM2, BUT prior to the NEW NEW stuff. Yours was issued BEFORE the new stuff and next Sept. you will have to decide whehter you want to go to Residente Temporal or Residente Permanente. You supposedly NOT need financials to go to Temporall. You will NOT need financials to go to Permanente IF your at the end fo the Immigrante visa (4 years on it). If you want to go to Permanente BEFORE the end of your Immigrante, then you WILL have to show financials.

Sideways
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by sparks Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:13 am

joec wrote:
And the other confusing thing is when you go from old FM 3 to FM 2, do you get an INM Immigrado card for 1, 2, 3 or 4 years. When can you get a Resident Permanente card?

When do you get a Residente Permanente card and what are the advantages.

Inmigrado and resdente permanente are the same thing and it's a one time thing ... not for 2-3-4 years. I assume you meant Inmigrante but that doesn't exist any longer.

The advantage is ... no more INM unless you move
sparks
sparks
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : The joke's on me

http://sparksmex.blogspot.mx/

Back to top Go down

Post by David Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:16 am

joec wrote:
David wrote:Perhaps you should read the new law John. You're off-base again and just adding to the confusion.

If I'm off base, why did I NOT have to show a monthly income of $ 1,900 US?

Really, you know that there has been so many OPINIONS posted on here that it is very, very confusing.

NO ONE has posted facts and explained in detail:
Income requirements, Income requirements if married, Income requirements if owning a house, Income requirements if Married and owning a house.

And the other confusing thing is when you go from old FM 3 to FM 2, do you get an INM Immigrado card for 1, 2, 3 or 4 years. When can you get a Resident Permanente card?

So, David, please explain this to me.

John, you can do your own research. I suggest you start with www.rollybrook.com
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Good

Back to top Go down

Post by joec Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:17 am

Sideways wrote:Immigrante is NOT permanent resident status.

Immigrante is what was an FM2, BUT prior to the NEW NEW stuff. Yours was issued BEFORE the new stuff and next Sept. you will have to decide whehter you want to go to Residente Temporal or Residente Permanente. You supposedly NOT need financials to go to Temporall. You will NOT need financials to go to Permanente IF your at the end fo the Immigrante visa (4 years on it). If you want to go to Permanente BEFORE the end of your Immigrante, then you WILL have to show financials.

Mine was renewed just before the Nov. 9 NEW rules came into effect. What is the advantage of Temporal vs. Permanente?

Where am I next year after having 10 years on an FM 3, then converting to old name FM 2, Residente Temporal?

joec
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by David Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:18 am

The correct term is INMIGRANTE.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by joec Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:19 am

sparks wrote:
joec wrote:

Inmigrado and resdente permanente are the same thing and it's a one time thing ... not for 2-3-4 years. I assume you meant Inmigrante but that doesn't exist any longer.

The advantage is ... no more INM unless you move

All I know is I went from FM 3 to FM 2 which cost a lot, a lot of money. I believe it was 3980 pesos for the Gov't fee.

joec
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Mainecoons Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:33 am

Cahoots?

Very Happy
Mainecoons
Mainecoons
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Mad Magazine

Back to top Go down

Post by David Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:21 pm

Cohoetes!
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hound dog Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:07 pm

Just to help clarify things if possible. We hold "Inmigrado" cards and have since November, 2010. That is something we acheived after ten years as first FM-3 and then FM-2 for four years under the old system. There is no expiration or renewal date on the old "Inmigrado"status. As far as I know, we have no obligations to do anything from now on until Swing Down Sweet Chariot time. John and we have all been here for 12 years and he could have gone the same route as did we years ago but he chose not to do so. To each his own.
hound dog
hound dog
Bad Dawg
Bad Dawg

Back to top Go down

Post by Flamingo Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:49 pm

I had read that Mexico was hoping that with the boomers coming of age for retirement, retired expats would give a big boost to the economy. Raising the requirements to unrealistic levels is maybe not the best way to do this.

First David, the income requirement for the last four years has been $1200 not $1500.

This clearly comes as a shock to some of you, but many potential (and existing) retirees do not have a monthly income of $1900 (or $2500 depending on where you get your information). They do not have $100,000+ sitting in an account somewhere and if they plan to buy a home here, it would cost well under $200,000. These potential retirees will look elsewhere. The more affluent retirees have a much larger pond of possible locations to choose and they certainly will not all choose Mexico.

So there will be less traffic, but good luck on selling your house.
Flamingo
Flamingo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:59 pm

I think I will continue receiving legal guidance relative to INM, from a qualified professional, aka Intercasa! Thank You for your input though! Many of us that have been here prior to 2006, and now have homes for sale, made the move to avoid 30% capital gains tax.
Unbeknown to most of us, Capital gains are calculated based on Pesos value, even though the entire transaction was done in USD.

Some are selling @ USD loss, yet face taxes based on the peso value today. Smokealot
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by joec Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:00 pm

hound dog wrote:Just to help clarify things if possible. We hold "Inmigrado" cards and have since November, 2010. That is something we acheived after ten years as first FM-3 and then FM-2 for four years under the old system. There is no expiration or renewal date on the old "Inmigrado"status. As far as I know, we have no obligations to do anything from now on until Swing Down Sweet Chariot time. John and we have all been here for 12 years and he could have gone the same route as did we years ago but he chose not to do so. To each his own.

You are wrong on a couple of assumptions as far as choosing which route we went. When our FM 3's came due, we just renewed them, so they ALWAYS expire in one year. We didn't know anything and no one told us anything about FM 2's or their advantage, so we didn't go that route.

I doubt that would have made any difference as you still have to renew FM 2's EVERY years. There were never any non renewal FM 2's. If you know otherwise, please explain.

joec
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by joec Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:02 pm

JimW - I'm very happy to hear that you hired one of the BEST Realtors in Ajijic. I wish you well.

joec
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim W Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:49 pm

joec wrote:JimW - I'm very happy to hear that you hired one of the BEST Realtors in Ajijic. I wish you well.

Thank You John....your input was of great help! I commend you for standing your ground on your home price.....your decision is all that matters! Many have been to my home, and I have cut the price from 339,000 to 279,000, a 60k loss, as I am tired of maintaining 2 homes.....just want to move on with life.

I apologize for getting off thread to all.
Jim W
Jim W
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by David Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:21 pm

[quote="joec I doubt that would have made any difference as you still have to renew FM 2's EVERY years. There were never any non renewal FM 2's. If you know otherwise, please explain.[/quote]

Wrong again; after 5 years on an FM2 you became "Inmigrado," or permanent resident. There was also the option to apply for citizenship.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3