INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Relocating to Ajijic - What Are the Rules For Brining a Car Into Mexico

+9
juanrey
jrm30655
David
quiltbugj
hueco_negro
CHILLIN
DaveP
CanuckBob
ririck_99
13 posters

Go down

Relocating to Ajijic - What Are the Rules For Brining a Car Into Mexico Empty Relocating to Ajijic - What Are the Rules For Brining a Car Into Mexico

Post by ririck_99 Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:44 am

We are planning on relocating this summer and had originally planned to drive down with our pets and a few possessions. I have been reading of new laws concerning bringing vehicles into the country, but have read several different sets of rules and am admittedly a bit confused....ok, a LOT confused!

We visited Easter week and Ajijic immediately felt like home...we can't wait to make the move!!

ririck_99

Back to top Go down

Relocating to Ajijic - What Are the Rules For Brining a Car Into Mexico Empty Re: Relocating to Ajijic - What Are the Rules For Brining a Car Into Mexico

Post by CanuckBob Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:58 am

If you are moving here FT I suggest you fly down and purchase a Mexican plated vehicle or at the very least bring a vehicle that you don't care about disposing very cheaply (like for parts). The laws are evolving and I suspect Mexico will follow suit with most other countries and not allow immigrants to drive foriegn plated vehicles.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Relocating to Ajijic - What Are the Rules For Brining a Car Into Mexico Empty Re: Relocating to Ajijic - What Are the Rules For Brining a Car Into Mexico

Post by DaveP Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:31 pm

CanuckBob wrote:If you are moving here FT I suggest you fly down and purchase a Mexican plated vehicle or at the very least bring a vehicle that you don't care about disposing very cheaply (like for parts). The laws are evolving and I suspect Mexico will follow suit with most other countries and not allow immigrants to drive foriegn plated vehicles.

The difference is that the future of moving cars into Mexico from the US and Canada will be subject to NAFTA rules in the next 2 or 3 years. Mexico had a 10-15 year time period to get in line with NAFTA so then we can probably expect only IVA and an administration fee. This would be in line with Mexico's NAFTA partners, the US and Canada.

What will be the rules? Check the NAFTA agreement. So you may have a few years to comply.

DaveP
DaveP
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : A little English

Back to top Go down

Post by CHILLIN Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:45 pm

CanuckBob wrote:The laws are evolving and I suspect Mexico will follow suit with most other countries and not allow immigrants to drive foriegn plated vehicles.

I'm afraid that's not true. Canada allows immigrants to bring a car, and then there is a generous period to meet Provincial safety and emissions standards, which are not really that difficult or expensive unless you are bringing in a Jeepney from the Philippines, a double decker bus from the U.K., or a tank from Russia.

The U.S.A. allows one year, no extensions possible, and the vehicle must meet emission/safety before it arrives.
CHILLIN
CHILLIN
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveP Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:51 pm

CHILLIN wrote:
CanuckBob wrote:The laws are evolving and I suspect Mexico will follow suit with most other countries and not allow immigrants to drive foriegn plated vehicles.

I'm afraid that's not true. Canada allows immigrants to bring a car, and then there is a generous period to meet Provincial safety and emissions standards, which are not really that difficult or expensive unless you are bringing in a Jeepney from the Philippines, a double decker bus from the U.K., or a tank from Russia.

The U.S.A. allows one year, no extensions possible, and the vehicle must meet emission/safety before it arrives.

One has to look at NAFTA and non-NAFTA countries. A friend just imported a car from the US to Canada and had to meet safety and emission immediately. Cost about $750.00 CDN. The same goes for dealers importing from US to Canada.
DaveP
DaveP
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : A little English

Back to top Go down

Post by hueco_negro Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:54 pm

My advice would be this, sell everything you own up there where you are and fly down to Mexico and start from scratch. Because of the time of the year there are deal to be had for rentals, most of which come furnished with appliances and kitchen utensils and dishware, and plenty of stuff at the resale shops, and garage sales galore.

I assume you have started the process for Residente Temporal at your local Mexican Consulate.

Good Luck

hueco_negro
hueco_negro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:56 pm

CHILLIN wrote:

Really, can you post a link to this info?

And we are talking about the ability to drive a foriegn plated car as an immigrant to Canada. Not whether it can be nationalized or not. In Canada you cannot drive the foreign plated car AT ALL once you have established residence. Here in Mexico you can currently drive it indefinately (until they change the law).
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CHILLIN Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:25 pm

You list your car as settler's effects. You pay no duty, but there is $200 fee for the paperwork etc. The compliance, for typical cars worth importing, is a trip to Canadian Tire (there are others) who check for daytime running lights, rear window brake lights etc., and then they issue the permit, then you have to pay provincial fees/registration insurance. You have to have this completed before the foreign registration runs out, and you are allowed to drive on your foreign plate/foreign insurance until that point. This is how it works - believe me.

No as far as Mexico. This sudden change of rules has got people angry - more than just losing their cars. It is clearly 'changing the goal posts' while the game is in progress. In case you haven't noticed - they HAVE changed the law, some interpret that if you take Permanent Residence on a foreign plated car, that it is instantly illegal. Others, like myself, feel that is too tight of a interpretation, given the intent of the new law. I think they will offer a cheap, one time only import permit or keep the law the same, and announce that they do not intend to enforce it until 4 years from now.
CHILLIN
CHILLIN
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by quiltbugj Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:31 pm

Please contact a knowledgeable attorney in Mexico. The rules have changed - though there seems to be no agreement about how the new changes are enforced. Immigration laws have changed in many areas - including - but limited to - bringing in cars and immigration status. Good luck.
quiltbugj
quiltbugj
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:41 pm

CHILLIN wrote:You list your car as settler's effects. You pay no duty, but there is $200 fee for the paperwork etc. The compliance, for typical cars worth importing, is a trip to Canadian Tire (there are others) who check for daytime running lights, rear window brake lights etc., and then they issue the permit, then you have to pay provincial fees/registration insurance. You have to have this completed before the foreign registration runs out, and you are allowed to drive on your foreign plate/foreign insurance until that point. This is how it works - believe me.

No as far as Mexico. This sudden change of rules has got people angry - more than just losing their cars. It is clearly 'changing the goal posts' while the game is in progress. In case you haven't noticed - they HAVE changed the law, some interpret that if you take Permanent Residence on a foreign plated car, that it is instantly illegal. Others, like myself, feel that is too tight of a interpretation, given the intent of the new law. I think they will offer a cheap, one time only import permit or keep the law the same, and announce that they do not intend to enforce it until 4 years from now.

I don't think so. Once you have established permanent residence you cannot drive a foreign plated car registered in your name at all (at least in BC). I suppose since this is all provincially regulated there may be different rules in other provinces. Can you provide me a link that states otherwise?

CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by David Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:18 pm

Unless you are coming as a Residente Permanent then bring the car. You'll have 4 years as a Residente Temporal to figure out what you want to do with and and when to get a Mexican plated car.
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Good

Back to top Go down

Post by CHILLIN Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:28 pm

I don't why you are digressing with the foreign plated cars. Yes - as soon as you declare a final residential address, you are supposed to have the car sorted out - and most people would, it is easy and not expensive. This is a minor legal technicality, as long as the new immigrants were renting, I don't if any police officer would even bother. The problem would be the foreign insurer confirming that the car is insured in Canada. Here is one link http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/should-i-import-my-car-t43571.0.html

The key point I am trying to make is that the Federal Government of Canada allows the permanent, duty free import of a vehicle under settler's effects. Mexico did - a never ending FM2/FM3 - but now does not. The confusion is between settler's effects and importing.
CHILLIN
CHILLIN
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by jrm30655 Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:35 pm

David wrote:Unless you are coming as a Residente Permanent then bring the car. You'll have 4 years as a Residente Temporal to figure out what you want to do with and and when to get a Mexican plated car.

You are probably right, but not necessarily so.

The law actually says that you can drive on a 180 day permit or an FM-3. I think on an FM-2 also but not sure on that one.

As people renew, there are no more FM-2 or FM-3 and the new visas are not listed anywhere in the law yet. Depending on how you read the law, once you get a new visa, you are in the gray area.

There is also a section of the law that says a TIP is good as long as your visa is good unless you go immigrato which doesn't exist anymore.

I have a friend who just got a permanente visa in Miami and is going to drive a 2012 Honda down. Or at least the consulate in Miami says he can. I'm going to watch this with interest.

Right now, I can argue both sides of the law and put up a convincing argument.

jrm30655
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CHILLIN Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:40 pm

Don't forget the Permanent Resident is a one time deal, you don't have to renew, you can work. It will be more hassle to get here, but may be worth it to have less stress down the road. Sell your vehicle at home, rent a car to get to the border. Get a rented car in Mexico, drive back to the border to pickup your stuff, drive to Guadalajara airport, return the rental there. Arrange for an Ajijic taxi to take you there. Your new friend will drive you around, show you the sights, and help you buy a car.
CHILLIN
CHILLIN
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by juanrey Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:09 pm

As you can see there is no lack of differing opinions on this board.
David is making a good recommendation. You have plenty of time before a car becomes an issue, so if you were planning on driving down with some stuff and your pets you are probably on the right track.
Just come on down.
juanrey
juanrey
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : George Carlin

https://sites.google.com/site/ouradventureinchapala/

Back to top Go down

Post by joyfull Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:47 pm

The one thing no one else addressed is that you say you are planning on driving down with pets. We brought 3 pets with us. Driving is a lot easier than flying in, especially if you have pets that have to go in cargo. You did not say if you are from Canada or the U.S. If from the U.S. it will be a lot easier to go to Texas and sell your car when the time comes. Canada is a "bit" longer drive.
Please feel free to PM me if you have questions about traveling with your pets. Happy to help. Hope you will love it here as much as we do.
joyfull
joyfull
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Lovingly sarcastic

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:39 pm

juanrey wrote:As you can see there is no lack of differing opinions on this board.
David is making a good recommendation. You have plenty of time before a car becomes an issue, so if you were planning on driving down with some stuff and your pets you are probably on the right track.
Just come on down.
i agree with this. go for it!
Pedro
Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by ferret Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:34 pm

Pedro wrote:
juanrey wrote:As you can see there is no lack of differing opinions on this board.
Just come on down.
i agree with this. go for it!

I also agree with this. Visiting and living here full time are totally different. You don't want to burn any bridges until it feels exactly right for you. Bring some stuff in your vehicle and put the rest in storage. Rent here for a year. If living here is not for you, it's an easy backtrack to place of origin.
That's what we did and have now lived in Mexico for seventeen years...but it's not for everyone.
ferret
ferret
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:01 am

Agree with Ferret. We had a US plated pickup truck. Used that to bring down
our stuff. When done with it we drove it back to US and sold it and flew down
and bought a small Mexican plated vehicle.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:02 am

do pick up trucks still sell for bigger bucks in beliz than the excited states?
Pedro
Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down