INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Buying a U.S. plated car from someone and driving it NOB

5 posters

Go down

Buying a U.S. plated car from someone and driving it NOB Empty Buying a U.S. plated car from someone and driving it NOB

Post by coffeeguy Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:25 am

This question has probably been dealt with, but I haven't been able to find the answer.

With so many here needing to get rid of U.S. plated cars in order to go permanente or keep that status it occurs to me that folks moving back NOB or even traveling up there for extended periods might want to buy said U.S. plated cars and take them north. But I always thought that this was impossible because in order for the buyer to purchase the U.S. plated car the seller would have to accompany them across the border and the deal would have to be done in the U.S.

Sorry if this is a dumb question.

coffeeguy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Buying a U.S. plated car from someone and driving it NOB Empty Re: Buying a U.S. plated car from someone and driving it NOB

Post by Intercasa Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:31 am

It can be done no problem, I have helped many do it.
Intercasa
Intercasa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Barbed wit

Back to top Go down

Buying a U.S. plated car from someone and driving it NOB Empty Re: Buying a U.S. plated car from someone and driving it NOB

Post by coffeeguy Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:38 am

Thanks Spencer. I will let my friend who asked know - they will be very happy and doubtless in touch with you.

coffeeguy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by RickS Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:55 am

coffeeguy wrote:This question has probably been dealt with, but I haven't been able to find the answer.

With so many here needing to get rid of U.S. plated cars in order to go permanente or keep that status it occurs to me that folks moving back NOB or even traveling up there for extended periods might want to buy said U.S. plated cars and take them north. But I always thought that this was impossible because in order for the buyer to purchase the U.S. plated car the seller would have to accompany them across the border and the deal would have to be done in the U.S.

Sorry if this is a dumb question.
No question is a dumb one, especially one concerning cars these days.

As Spencer says, it can be done. I know of about 8 that have been taken NOB in the last 6 months, 3 of them by me. But don't assume that one can just 'pay the owner' and head north. There is some required paperwork to be done ESPECIALLY if the owner has already gone Permanent. Tell you friend to do him/herself a favor and check with Spencer. Peace of mind...... priceless!

RickS
RickS
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:23 am

sometime ago i made a post about taking trucks to belize where a premium is paid for them and the duty to the purchaser is only 10% making it easy fer a belizian ta buy. the guy i talked to said my 88 ford ranger was worth between $2500-3000 usd even as beat up as it looks but is mechanically sound. this person had no reason to lie as it was a new car dealership that doesn't deal at all in used unless traded in.
Pedro
Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Playaboy Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:28 pm

Pedro, the duty to import a vehicle into Belize is higher than 10%.  I looked into it when I tried selling my pick-up to a friend living in Corozal.  It was very high.  Look at http://www.customs.gov.bz/rate_motor_vehicles.html

I used to go visit friends all the time, when I lived a couple of hours away.  When driving into that country, the officials actually stamp your vehicle entry into your passport.  You must present the vehicle to exit the country.  That keeps you from just leaving it there.

Playaboy
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:20 pm

my contact told me 10% for used trucks and 40% for suv's and cars.
Pedro
Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down