INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Panama Canal interesting fact

+11
Jeff Raybourne
CHILLIN
Pedro
CanuckBob
hickton
Lady Otter Latté
viajero
gringal
CheenaGringo
slainte39
sundown
15 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Panama Canal interesting fact - Page 3 Empty Re: Panama Canal interesting fact

Post by Jeff Raybourne Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:58 pm

CHILLIN wrote:Don't you wise guys ever use google? They were worried that foreign countries would establish strongholds, easily defended by cannon fire, key geographical locations. Did you know there are still lawmakers today who believe that this is still a possibility. A Federal Deputy from the PRD, from Guadalajara, voted against it for exactly this reason. Others are just very nationalistic because they don't think foreign property owners (non-commercial) should be allowed to own any land on Mexican beaches - period.

I speak only for myself but will assume others would also enjoy seeing cites for some of this. Otherwise it is just a bunch of nonsense you seem to pull out of your butt.

Jeff Raybourne
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeff Raybourne Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:01 pm

slainte39 wrote:
viajero wrote:
What are you trying to do,chillin,take over sundown's position as the least credible member of the forum?

He still has a ways to go....contender, yes....champion, no.

He makes sundown look like a piker when it comes to total fabrications. Sundown usually just cites somebody else's falsehoods.

Jeff Raybourne
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:08 pm

Jeff Raybourne wrote:
slainte39 wrote:
viajero wrote:
What are you trying to do,chillin,take over sundown's position as the least credible member of the forum?

He makes sundown look like a piker when it comes to total fabrications. Sundown usually just cites somebody else's falsehoods.
yes he makes up his own realities
Pedro
Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CHILLIN Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:50 pm

The history of Article 27 is interesting. Why the coasts? A foreign held stronghold could be supplied by ocean, and protected by battleships. The U.S.A. had many Dreadnaughts by 1917, I doubt if revolutionary Mexico had any.

It is more interesting to me why the law failed with such a strong passing in the lower house. One report says it failed on a technicality because it wasn't introduced on time. Pork barrel politics played a role - it always does. But maybe the issue was getting too hot with the opposition stirring nationalism. Maybe the Government decided that could have Pemex reform or Fideicomiso reform - not both. What do you think? I am not saying I have all the answers - expressing an opinion, having a discussion, is allowed. I am not defending a PhD thesis, or testifying in a court of law as an expert witness here.

This is blog about investing in Mexico, written by a Mexican. Some of his statements are quite cynical but they turned out to be true it seems.

http://bdp-americas.com/blog/2013/05/13/will-beach-front-property-reform-bring-the-end-of-the-fideicomiso/
CHILLIN
CHILLIN
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:23 pm

Pedro wrote:
Jeff Raybourne wrote:
slainte39 wrote:
viajero wrote:

yes he makes up his own realities

I concede....and readily admit I was wrong.  His posts do seem to have a lot of originality.    Rolling Eyes

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeff Raybourne Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:04 pm

CHILLIN wrote:

This is blog about investing in Mexico, written by a Mexican. Some of his statements are quite cynical but they turned out to be true it seems.

I didn't find the author's name nor nationality on the blog. Could you show us where it can be found_

Jeff Raybourne
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:37 am

Chinese owned or not - "Panama: The World’s Best Retirement Haven in 2014":

http://internationalliving.com/2014/01/panama-worlds-best-retirement-haven-2014/

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:59 am

My opinion of International Living's opinions are not very high.
Did they mention the bugs and the heat?  Not much.

It certainly is cheaper to retire there, than here.  But...........

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : occasionally

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:26 am

CheenaGringo wrote:Chinese owned or not - "Panama: The World’s Best Retirement Haven in 2014":

http://internationalliving.com/2014/01/panama-worlds-best-retirement-haven-2014/

CG.....
Probably because of all the good Chinese restaurants there that the retirees here bitch about not being able to find.    lol!

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:49 am

If the Chinese bought Lake Chapala would we have better Chinese food? After all, if they can buy the Panama Canal what is one itty-bitty little lake?
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Biting

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:06 pm

Lady Otter Latté wrote:If the Chinese bought Lake Chapala would we have better Chinese food? After all, if they can buy the Panama Canal what is one itty-bitty little lake?

Well, according to some, it coudn't be any worse, and I think that's what sundown is secretly hoping for (el tiene celosía de los panameños sobre la comida china).
On the upside, it might send all these Thai places packing.    Very Happy

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:09 pm

Good point about the Chinese food. It just might tip the scales for me.
  cheers 

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by hickton Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:26 pm

lived in panama for a year three years ago. if you think its hot here you have no chance there. although I think in the central highlands its cooler than the city. cost of living was much higher than here, although lots of incentives for retirees. i liked it but was very noisy, traffic horrendous , humidity high, beach not close.and quite dangerous. that was panama city. they are trying to sort out the traffic by opening a new metro system and i think the noise will be less as the main problem was the old style school buses which they were replacing. lots of ants too and dengue fever. plentyof shopping malls more American than here, hooters etc...upmarket and middle class. good if you can stand the heat.then theres the spectacular storms !!

hickton
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Mainecoons Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:35 pm

Boy oh boy I walked into an alleged Chinese buffet on the east side of downtown GDL (my wife was in a hospital a few blocks away) and it was seriously awful, although they did have good veggies which is what I was craving after a couple nights of "eating out" at Oxxo.

The hospital was located just north of that tall University of GDL building. I was surprised that there was almost no place in that neighborhood to find decent food, seemed pretty strange for a college area. And it was covered with graffiti giving it quite the blighted look.
Mainecoons
Mainecoons
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Mad Magazine

Back to top Go down

Post by gringal Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:52 pm

Panama City sounds like the ideal place for those potential expats who just can't live without U.S. style shopping.   And hey, if that's your cuppa and you find yourself needing to hit the malls in Texas once a year, you might as well go retire there.  We're all different, and just as well.  I can't say I have a "better" way of life without malls........but I am not fond of shopping and much prefer finding what I want in the local stores.

I was first intrigued by that old article in the AARP back in around 2003 describing expat life in several places in Mexico.  I'd read about Panama, too, but after hearing about the climate........forgeddaboutit. Thumbs down 

gringal
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:51 pm

Slainte:

There must be some correlation between altitudes around 5000' and really poor Chinese food? We haven't found a single decent Chinese restaurant here in Albuquerque where Chinese buffets reign supreme.

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:35 pm

I had some very decent Chinese in San Blas a couple of weeks ago. The people were right from China, speaking only Mandarin and Spanish.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:40 pm

CanuckBob wrote:I had some very decent Chinese in San Blas a couple of weeks ago. The people were right from China, speaking only Mandarin and Spanish.
definitely was yummy!
Pedro
Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeff Raybourne Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:52 pm

slainte39 wrote:  (el tiene celosía de los panameños sobre la comida china).
   Very Happy

That would be celos, amigo, not celosía.

Jeff Raybourne
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:04 pm

China is looking at building a canal in Nicaragua:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/14/world/americas/nicaragua-approves-building-its-own-canal.html?_r=0

CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by arbon Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:27 pm

With China burning more coal that the rest of the World put together there's a chance China will benefit more from the
(Ice Free) North West passage than the Panama Canal.

arbon
arbon
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Humour

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:23 pm

Jeff Raybourne wrote:
slainte39 wrote:  (el tiene celosía de los panameños sobre la comida china).
   Very Happy

That would be celos, amigo, not celosía.

Sí, celos, no ía.  Es una palabra que no uso mucho en mi "tercer edad".
Memoria mala......gracias.

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:29 pm

[quote="CanuckBob"]China is looking at building a canal in Nicaragua:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/14/world/americas/nicaragua-approves-building-its-own-canal.html?_r=0

Then they would "own" two canals. That would really upset one of the posters on this board.

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:55 pm

Perhaps in Nicaragua they would own it (or maybe a bank trust). Hopefully they didn't sign a "long term" lease with Panama.....jajaja.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by zenwoodle Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:03 am

slainte39 wrote:
Sí, celos, no ía.  Es una palabra que no uso mucho en mi "tercer edad".
Memoria mala......gracias.
If I have your memory capacity in my "third age" (which I hope I have not yet entered), I will be a happy man.
Have a pint of the black stuff for me if I do not see you before your trip.
Do you need any milk? Hint Hint  Beer Beer
zenwoodle
zenwoodle
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sarcastic, but nobody seems to get it

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3