INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Driving down to Lake Chapala to evaluate for retirement

+11
CanuckBob
Hensley
Mainecoons
CheenaGringo
slainte39
elgringo
zenwoodle
eagles100
Lady Otter Latté
Pedro
FMercik
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Driving down to Lake Chapala to evaluate for retirement Empty Driving down to Lake Chapala to evaluate for retirement

Post by FMercik Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:01 pm

Hi All,
I'll be driving to Lake Chapala in two weeks to evaluate the area for retirement for my wife and myself.
I'm taking advantage of Sid G's services for a few days. I expect to be in the area for a few weeks unless I don't care for Lake Chapala metro.
I'm looking forward to meeting folks with pragmatic information - basically the good, the bad and the ugly.

I would be glad to bring a limited amount of locally hard to get items for a few folks.
Please advise, thanks.

Frank Mercik
FMercik
FMercik

Back to top Go down

Driving down to Lake Chapala to evaluate for retirement Empty Re: Driving down to Lake Chapala to evaluate for retirement

Post by Pedro Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:36 pm

woody's cookin' sauce would be nice,frank.
Pedro
Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Driving down to Lake Chapala to evaluate for retirement Empty Re: Driving down to Lake Chapala to evaluate for retirement

Post by Lady Otter Latté Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:28 pm

Very nice of you to offer, Frank. Where are you driving from?
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Biting

Back to top Go down

Post by eagles100 Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:36 pm

We'd be happy to meet you Frank.
My husband and I moved here 5 months ago and used Sid's services to buy our house, great guy.
I could use 1 box of Swiss Miss hot chocolate :)
I will send you a Private Message with our contact info.
eagles100
eagles100
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by zenwoodle Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:01 am

If you bring down some REAL Canadian bacon (peameal back bacon), I will tell you all the secrets that you need to know.  Beer
BTW, NONE of what passes for Canadian bacon in the US is acceptable.  Beer Beer
zenwoodle
zenwoodle
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sarcastic, but nobody seems to get it

Back to top Go down

Post by elgringo Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:36 am

Pedro I have some woody's cooking sauce if you need a bottle
elgringo
elgringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : lots

Back to top Go down

Driving down to Lake Chapala to evaluate for retirement Empty Thanks for the replies!

Post by FMercik Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:25 am

Hi again,
My wife Sharon and I appreciate the replies received thus far.
We look forward to meeting you while there.

Please PM me with any items I'm able to bring provide they are on Amazon.
I am a Prime member so there would be no shipping charges or taxes
Please provide the Amazon item #'s and quantities.. My cost will be your cost payable upon my arrival in Lake Chaplala.
I do not need any advance funds.

Best regards,

Sharon and Frank
FMercik
FMercik

Back to top Go down

Post by eagles100 Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:46 am

We'd love to meet with you and your wife.
I replied to your e-mail.
eagles100
eagles100
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:54 am

elgringo wrote:Pedro I have some woody's cooking sauce if you need a bottle
muchos gracias elgringo. i have been out of it fer months and there ain't no substitute fer that fine stough!
Pedro
Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by slainte39 Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:46 am

There are some other Mercik's in the area, if that is a good handle.  Maybe, long lost relatives.    Very Happy

slainte39
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Driving down to Lake Chapala to evaluate for retirement Empty Current driving tips

Post by FMercik Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:15 pm

Hi,
I can find many years old driving tips from Nogales, AZ to Chapala doing a Google search but nothing current.
Is allocating two driving days, 8 hours each day practical? I will be leaving Nogales at 6AM.
Is it a good idea to hire a "Border Driver" for my first Mexican driving experience?

I plan on only driving during the day on toll roads. I will have pesos for the tolls and gas.
I have a new Garmin GPS with the latest Mexico map software.
i have seen mixed reviews online as to accurate it is. Feedback would be appreciated.
I have printed a map from a Mexican point to point website with toll and distance information.

I will also have comprehensive Mexican auto insurance.

Please advise if I have overlooked something.

Thank you.

Frank

FMercik
FMercik

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:34 pm

Frank:

IMO, a "border driver" is a total waste of money and an opportunity to work yourself into the flow of driving in Mexico. It really isn't a terrifying experience and in so many ways, drivers in Mexico are quite superior at defensive driving than those NOB! Here is a link to a GPS report I wrote back in 2009: http://www.mexconnect.com/cgi-bin/forums/gforum.cgi?post=132035;search_string=GPS%20report;#132035
While the maps have certainly improved, my of my comments are still valid. By the time you get to Guadalajara from Nogales, i can almost guarantee that you will have developed a certain level of confidence.

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Mainecoons Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:17 pm

Frank, driving down here is a piece of cake, really.  However, don't drive down here in a shiny new pick up truck or sport ute.  The word is, don't stand out. Narcos love those big trucks and sport utes.

Don't drive at night, so figure out where you'll be staying on the first night before you leave. Arrive before dinner time, have a nice leisurely meal and a good nights sleep.

The key to driving in Mexico is to not assume the other guy is going to obey the rules. Assume otherwise, drive defensively and keep your distance from the other vehicles.
Mainecoons
Mainecoons
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Mad Magazine

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:54 pm

I second CheenaGringo´s opinion that a "border driver" would be a waste of money. I drove down here from San Diego, no GPS--just a AAA "TripTic." I followed all the above advice and did just fine.
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Hensley Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:54 am

I sent you a PM with driving directions.
Hensley
Hensley
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by eagles100 Mon May 19, 2014 1:40 pm

Has anyone heard from Frank?
We communicated many times and then nada.
eagles100
eagles100
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CheenaGringo Mon May 19, 2014 1:57 pm

Last forum visit was: Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:25 am

If his original estimate was correct, that visit was probably during the trip?

CheenaGringo
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by eagles100 Mon May 19, 2014 2:29 pm

CheenaGringo wrote:Last forum visit was: Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:25 am

Do you mean the last time he visited this forum was on Apr 21?
I know he was delayed for a week but we were expecting him 3 weeks ago and now he no longer responds to e-mails or phone calls.
I just wanted to make sure he's ok.
If he changed his mind, that's ok.

He was to bring down some items from Amazon and so if he's not coming, we'll either buy the items locally or find another source.
We'd just like to know.

eagles100
eagles100
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Otter Latté Mon May 19, 2014 2:44 pm

How odd.
Lady Otter Latté
Lady Otter Latté
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Mon May 19, 2014 4:57 pm

CheenaGringo wrote:Last forum visit was: Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:25 am

Maybe after seeing some of the yahoo's on here he bailed on the whole Mexico thing. Decided on Winnipeg instead.........jajaja.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by eagles100 Mon May 19, 2014 5:20 pm

Winnipeg LMAO
I'm Canadian so I know here is way better Very Happy
No offense to any Winnipegers.
eagles100
eagles100
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Mon May 19, 2014 6:17 pm

Winnipeggers are used to it and always have a great sense of humor (you would have to)......... Beer 
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by Zedinmexico Thu May 22, 2014 8:11 am

We go south from Border to Guaymas first day than Mazatlan the second day. If you are coming from west of Nagales you can enter Mexico at Lukeville and take Mex 2 east to Santa Anna. Safe as long as you stay on highway. Watch carefully as you go through Hermosillo as construction seems to be always
happening. You don't need help for three day run. Might want help for two day blast down here. Remember to allow time for paperwork when you cross into Mexico. Early morning crossing is fastest
due to lack of lines for permits and such. PM me if you want hotels and such. No driving at night! Watch for topes (speed bumps) and such.

Z

Zedinmexico
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Red Dwarf, Marx Brothers, SCTV

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro Thu May 22, 2014 9:16 am

what is a such? is it similar to a saquatch?
Pedro
Pedro
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by oncesubtle Thu May 22, 2014 10:59 am

Sasquatch? I think what Zed said is similar to Pedro-speak except it makes sense and it's spelled correctly.
oncesubtle
oncesubtle

Humor : After 2nd cup of coffee

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next