INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Moto Trip Report - Tlachichilco / Atotonilquillo / Poncitla

5 posters

Go down

Moto Trip Report  - Tlachichilco / Atotonilquillo / Poncitla Empty Moto Trip Report - Tlachichilco / Atotonilquillo / Poncitla

Post by Intercasa Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:08 pm

So I bought this new enduro bike and thought the best way to test it out would be to take a beautiful girl on a little road trip around the lake and surrounding areas.

We went to Tlachichilco / Atotonilquillo / Poncitlan / Ocotlan / Jamay

We started here in Chapala, got a big hearty breakfast at Delicia's in Chapala and then headed east towards Vista Del Lago. I thought about trying out the rougher roads by Mezcala and seeing the dam and lake by San Juan Tecomatlan / Tlachochilco so we could cross back and go to Jamay to eat by the lake but have a different feel than the Chapala area.

The road out towards Vista Del Lago is being redone and one side or half is done most of the way and it is quite nice. The place to turn in San Juan to get to the dam / lake and road to Atotonilquillo isn't marked at all but after entering San Juan its like right before the last or second to last tope, there is a tree on the left and a cattle guard and that is the road you follow to get to the dam / lake and to Atotonilquillo. We went up and the road took us down to Atotonilquillo, the last time I visited the lake I just went to see it and the dam as someone mentioned it existed and I saw some photos of the new road by it.

We dropped down to Atotonilquillo and it was still a journey to Ocotlan, like another 20 minutes or so and we did pass the turn off to go to Mezcala.

Coming into Ocotlan I've always seen the sign for the gun club and this time decided to check it out. I'd love to do some skeet and sporting clays. So we drove up to the "gun club" that is right before entering Ocotlan. It is more of a family park where they have shooting. Nobody was shooting which I found odd, especially for a weekend and then they only had some metal gongs and targets on the hill, nothing really and quite primitive for a gun club, no shotgun sports. There is a large grass area where people were having picnics so it is a social club but not mainly dedicated to shooting sports, that just seems to be a small part of it.

We continued to Ocotlan which was fine, we road around, checked out the plaza and tianguis and then went to check out Cuitzeo. Supposedly they have good micheladas there and we toured the pueblo. We then tried to find a place on the lake to have a beer but didn't find anything except a dirt road that we think (and later confirmed) went to Mezcala but was rough, either you need a truck or motocross bike to pass. We did fine, I love my new bike but all the drinking holes were closed so we came back towards Ocotlan and passed the city, left the municipio and went to Jamay. There they have the same arrangement as Chapala EXCEPT most places are new and renovated and not from 1970 like the Acapulquito area of Chapala. We saw one place that looked good, El Palmar so we have beers and aguachile with camaron.

Then came the trip back. We went pretty well on the carretera, the road in and around Ocotlan is good and we maintained like 90kph and cruised but people would still pass us fast as we rode on the extreme right. This is why I did the east of Chapala shurtcut to avoid dangerous highways which we were only on for a short time. We did the San Pedro / Mezcala road on the way back, a nice road from the carretera and then an awesome mirador / view station at the top which wasn't there last year when I passed by. The road gets very rough, first it starts out as rock road but some potholes and sharp rocks, I cracked my oil pan on this road in my car and after the rocked part it is rocks, potholes and drop offs so it is good only if you have 4wd or an off road moto.

It is a bit of a drive in a car but on the bike we flew over holes and topes and rocks at about 60kph. The road perhaps a bit after San Pedro is a mix of cobblestone with 2 concrete strips for car wheels so it is a good road then become asphalt at the junction at Mezcala.

Here are some photos of today's trip:

Moto Trip Report  - Tlachichilco / Atotonilquillo / Poncitla 33830_10150388571550204_790160203_16979931_3657335_n
Moto Trip Report  - Tlachichilco / Atotonilquillo / Poncitla 167031_10150388571765204_790160203_16979938_7648511_n
Moto Trip Report  - Tlachichilco / Atotonilquillo / Poncitla 168093_10150388574350204_790160203_16980030_694279_n

Last edited by Intercasa on Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:15 pm; edited 3 times in total
Intercasa
Intercasa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Barbed wit

Back to top Go down

Moto Trip Report  - Tlachichilco / Atotonilquillo / Poncitla Empty Re: Moto Trip Report - Tlachichilco / Atotonilquillo / Poncitla

Post by Intercasa Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:09 pm

Moto Trip Report  - Tlachichilco / Atotonilquillo / Poncitla 162742_10150388574995204_790160203_16980048_8251346_n
Intercasa
Intercasa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Moto Trip Report  - Tlachichilco / Atotonilquillo / Poncitla Empty Re: Moto Trip Report - Tlachichilco / Atotonilquillo / Poncitla

Post by CanuckBob Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:28 pm

Nice trip, nice bike, nice woman......your living the dream. Those roads past Mezcala, through San Pedro to Ocotlan must have been a blast on that bike. I made the mistake of taking a mini van with 8 people in it down that road. Big mistake........lol.

Thanks for sharing.
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by Demonio Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:34 pm

Looks like FUN!!! Both the bike and the girl. For some reason it reminds me of a joke (nothing to do with your bike or girl - they both look great).

Never mind. The original joke was clean and funny. Don't really know why it was edited, but the edited version isn't even close to being funny or worthy of being in print - jeez! Oh well, we try and I respect the mod's authority.

Last edited by Demonio on Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Demonio
Demonio
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : None

Back to top Go down

Post by Intercasa Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:51 pm

Hence I have no fattie and no more scooter / moped!
Intercasa
Intercasa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Mainecoons Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:10 am

Hey, where's your helmet?

How many ccs this bike? I've been looking for a late model KLR650 for a while. With the road sprocket, it could be a decent longer distance rider.

Nice lady too!

Mainecoons
Mainecoons
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Mad Magazine

Back to top Go down

Post by CanuckBob Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:14 am

Demonio wrote:Never mind. The original joke was clean and funny. Don't really know why it was edited, but the edited version isn't even close to being funny or worthy of being in print - jeez! Oh well, we try and I respect the mod's authority.

I think that joke is hilarious (In fact I've told it before to Spencer) but my wife would think it offensive........that's kind of how I guage things outside the Octagon.

Beer
CanuckBob
CanuckBob
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sick and twisted

https://casadecomo.mx

Back to top Go down

Post by Intercasa Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:44 pm

Bike is a Honda XL-125, was $29,000 pesos brand new. It is a little gutless but for the price was worth it, many larger bikes, even 150cc and 250 cc were priced much more like $43,000 pesos or higher. I'm happy and love having a suspension plus it fits in my entrance and is light enough to be easy to handle.
Intercasa
Intercasa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Mainecoons Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:54 pm

That's probably why I'll buy a bike in Texas and bring it down. I can buy a 2009 KLR there for $4000 or less.

What are you doing for motorcycle insurance?

Mainecoons
Mainecoons
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Mad Magazine

Back to top Go down

Post by Intercasa Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:38 pm

Moto insurance... well as mine is a 125 it isn't required and I've had some high quotes like $4,000 to $5,000 pesos. I had my other bike over 4 years and no insurance and no problems. I'll keep looking for more companies.

I didn't want a bike from NOB so I could have a local warranty and not have to take it back NOB if I wanted to sell it.
Intercasa
Intercasa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by simpsca Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:51 pm

Spencer - I hope you have two helmets! Just playing mother lol!
simpsca
simpsca
Events Reporter
Events Reporter

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down