INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Read your Auto insurance policy

+5
johninajijic
Intercasa
Rolly
Carry Bean
simpsca
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Read your Auto insurance policy Empty Read your Auto insurance policy

Post by simpsca Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:40 pm

I understand that the woman who accidentally ran over her friend and was in jail
(don't know if she still is) did not have legal assistance as part of her auto
insurance. For those of you who don't understand your coverage page here are the
basic coverages:

Danos materiales - physical damage
Robo total - Theft of total car
Gastos medicos occupantes - medical expenses for occupants
Responsabildad civil - legal liability if you hit someone else or
damage property of others

*Asistencia juridica - Legal assistance (the coverage the woman
supposedly does not have who drove the car resulting in the accident)

Asistencia en viajes - Road side assistance - this is optional in my opinion
many drivers don't realize they have this coverage - There is for most policies a toll
free 800 number you can call if your car becomes disabled for any
reason including flat tire. I was with a friend who got a really flat tire - couldn't drive without
ruining the rim. We called the number and in 20 minutes a guy on a motor bike showed up
and changed the tire to the spare - free of charge (but gave a propina)

ALSO read the part of your policy to see who is insured - under policy Definitions: Asugurado - insured.
Some policies in Mexico only insure the person named on the cover page of the policy or people named via endorsement.
Other policies insure "the driver". If you have friends who drive your car - or your wife or husband and the policy
only insures people who are listed on the policy make sure they get listed on the policy.
simpsca
simpsca
Events Reporter
Events Reporter

Back to top Go down

Read your Auto insurance policy Empty Re: Read your Auto insurance policy

Post by Carry Bean Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:48 pm

Good info, Simsca!

Carry Bean
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Rolly Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:21 am

In all cases, the driver must have a valid license.
Rolly
Rolly
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Weird

http://rollybrook.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Intercasa Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:23 am

One tip, if you want to be a cheapskate, you´ll stay in jail. Have a good attorney on the spot and pay them. It is akin to being injured in an accident and trying to shop doctors while bleeding and then blaming others while you get gangrene.
Intercasa
Intercasa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Barbed wit

Back to top Go down

Post by simpsca Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:02 am

Rolly wrote:In all cases, the driver must have a valid license.

Yes thanks Rolly, I forgot to add that if you don't have a valid driver's license or the person driving your car doesn't the insurance is not valid even if you have it.
simpsca
simpsca
Events Reporter
Events Reporter

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:06 am

You may also want to add that: Insurance companies here don't pay for partial theft.

Insurance companies here cannot be compared to the US where you can have low deductibles. Here you always pay more out of pocket. Here insurance companies can take a long time to pay (months) whereas in the US, they pay within 2 weeks.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Sometimes

Back to top Go down

Post by Intercasa Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:52 am

Hmmm...... GNP Seguros was the insurance company, Jalisco law says policies must have a minimum coverage of $360,000 pesos. Most policies cover other drivers and a news article said the car had Jalisco plates. GNP´s policy says anybody with express or implied permission is covered.

http://www.gnp.com.mx/gnp/clientes.nsf/Pagina_interior?OpenFrameSet&Frame=Contenido&Src=%2Fgnp%2Fclientes.nsf%2F%28TPNID%29%2FNT00007C76%3FOpenDocument%26AutoFramed

This should be a good lesson in what to not do after an accident.
Intercasa
Intercasa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by simpsca Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:16 pm

I assume you are talking about the woman who is in jail - should have been covered by her friend's policy. Maybe she didn't have access to the policy information?
simpsca
simpsca
Events Reporter
Events Reporter

Back to top Go down

Post by hound dog Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:58 pm

johninajijic wrote:You may also want to add that: Insurance companies here don't pay for partial theft.

Insurance companies here cannot be compared to the US where you can have low deductibles. Here you always pay more out of pocket. Here insurance companies can take a long time to pay (months) whereas in the US, they pay within 2 weeks.

Let´s rephrase that more appropriately. Insurance companies in Mexico do not insure against theft of personal property from automobiles or theft of accoutrements. On the other hand, try to collect on the theft of personal belongings stolen from a car in the U.S. unless you have proof that those objects were in your possession in the car at the time of the theft , owned by you without encumbrance and documented as having been there at the time of the alleged theft. Then, hold your breath. What nonsense to imply some sort of negative implication exists if one´s car is stolen in Monterrey vs. Detroit. This is a lamebrain assertion.

Furthermore, the notion that insurance companies take months to pay in Mexco vs. a couple of weeks in the U.S. is nonsense. I have had two sophisticated claims in Mexico against car insurance and each claim has been settled immediately and without delay.

John is being disingenuous at best.
hound dog
hound dog
Bad Dawg
Bad Dawg

Back to top Go down

Post by simpsca Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:37 pm

Dawg,

Would you tell us who the insurer was you had a good experience with. I was with GNP Seguros until recently and changed agents which came with a change of insurers to HDI which I know nothing about. Next renewal I would like to specify quotes from an insurer I know someone had a good experience with.

And you are correct. I was rear-ended in the US two years ago by a woman who was probably text messaging. Both cars totaled, and her insurer has not paid any part of my medical expenses yet even though she admitted it was her fault. So all is not well in the US with auto insurance.
simpsca
simpsca
Events Reporter
Events Reporter

Back to top Go down

Post by hound dog Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:37 pm

simpsca wrote:Dawg,

Would you tell us who the insurer was you had a good experience with. I was with GNP Seguros until recently and changed agents which came with a change of insurers to HDI which I know nothing about. Next renewal I would like to specify quotes from an insurer I know someone had a good experience with.

And you are correct. I was rear-ended in the US two years ago by a woman who was probably text messaging. Both cars totaled, and her insurer has not paid any part of my medical expenses yet even though she admitted it was her fault. So all is not well in the US with auto insurance.

Our insurance company, by whom we swear, is AXA and our agent is Jesus Tejeda out of Guadalajara whose father before him took care of us when needed years ago. When I lost my gall bladder in the wilds of Chiapas in a two bit hospital and, later, when we needed help on the Guatemala border on the slopes of the Tacaná Volcano in Chiapas after a car accident, AXA and their agent were there for us and that is, after all, what counts. The premium one pays for insurance whether for autos or health or homeowner´s insurance is irrevelant. The service at the time of need is all that matters. You get cheap with insurance premiums and when the time comes for your need you lie there in the gutter and sweat. Pay now or pay later when the price is exponentiially higher.
hound dog
hound dog
Bad Dawg
Bad Dawg

Back to top Go down

Post by Rolly Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:20 pm

I also insure with AXA. The only time I needed them, the adjuster was quick to respond and took care of everything. The only things he needed from me were the policy and my license. I was at fault but paid nothing, except a fine for causing the wreck.

My friend has a policy with them also. He needed a new windshield after an accident. The repair shop did a poor job replacing the windshield. My friend complained to our AXA agent who promptly sent the car to a different shop. No questions asked, no delay.

They aren't cheap, but they take good care of their customers.
Rolly
Rolly
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by simpsca Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:21 pm

I'll get a quote from them (AXA) at renewal time. Up until now I didn't have any positive recommendations on auto insurers. I wanted to switch agents and ended up with HDI which I've never heard of. Thanks for the input.

simpsca
simpsca
Events Reporter
Events Reporter

Back to top Go down

Post by hound dog Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:04 pm

simpsca wrote:I'll get a quote from them (AXA) at renewal time. Up until now I didn't have any positive recommendations on auto insurers. I wanted to switch agents and ended up with HDI which I've never heard of. Thanks for the input.

A splendid idea simpsca. We not only have auto insurance with AXA but we both also carry major medical insurance and two homeowner´s policies for residences we own in Ajijic and San Cristóbal de Las Casas with AXA. In recent years we had occasion to assert claims for an automobile accident in an isolated region on the Chiapas/Guatemala border and hospitalization in San Cristóbal where hospital services are, at best, rudimentary and bookkeeping by physicians and hospitals are lacking to say the least. AXA and their outstanding agent Jesus Tejeda came through beautifully in both cases and both claims were satisfactorily resolved despite the fact that they were complex and originated in this remote region of the country.

Nothing could be more shortsighted than to set out to save a few bucks on annual premiums when the important issue is service from a "friend" when you are flat on your back in the middle of nowhere and staring up at some deputy sheriff or country doctor who doesn´t know you from Adam´s housecat.

Last edited by hound dog on Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:58 am; edited 2 times in total
hound dog
hound dog
Bad Dawg
Bad Dawg

Back to top Go down

Post by bimini6 Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:27 pm

I have my insurance with Qualitias. My car was parked and a drunk hit it, the Qualitias Insurance Company was top notch, their attorney contacted us within 24 hours, (an adjuster had already been to the house) 2 weeks later, all was paid, repaired and I am back in my car. I have a 500 US dollar deductable which was paid for by the other driver. I would highly recommend them. I buy my policy online and have for 5 years.

bimini6
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : always! It is good for the soul

Back to top Go down

Post by simpsca Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:57 pm

I never heard of Qualitias. Are they a Mexican insurance company?

I can't switch health insurance although I've heard good things about AXA I have been very happy with Seguros Monterrey New York Life. Since I'm a train wreck I can't switch health insurers - I have no pre-existing condition exclusions with my current insurer - was in the hospital 3 times last year so I'm afraid no new insurer would want me right now.
simpsca
simpsca
Events Reporter
Events Reporter

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:40 am

hound dog wrote:
johninajijic wrote:You may also want to add that: Insurance companies here don't pay for partial theft.

Let´s rephrase that more appropriately. Insurance companies in Mexico do not insure against theft of personal property from automobiles or theft of accoutrements. On the other hand, try to collect on the theft of personal belongings stolen from a car in the U.S. unless you have proof that those objects were in your possession in the car at the time of the theft , owned by you without encumbrance and documented as having been there at the time of the alleged theft. Then, hold your breath. What nonsense to imply some sort of negative implication exists if one´s car is stolen in Monterrey vs. Detroit. This is a lamebrain assertion.

Furthermore, the notion that insurance companies take months to pay in Mexco vs. a couple of weeks in the U.S. is nonsense. I have had two sophisticated claims in Mexico against car insurance and each claim has been settled immediately and without delay.

John is being disingenuous at best.

Please reread what I said before you insult me again because you didn't read my post correctly.
You may also want to add that: Insurance companies here don't pay for partial theft.

As above, I said they don't pay for partial theft, ie: If your wheels, your radio, your underhood electronics/computer system, battery, etc get stolen, you are SOL in Mexico.

Further, I was with AIG insurance company for an accident where I was "clearly" not at fault. Someone backed up without looking in El Torito's parking lot. They took 4 1/2 months to pay me even after my agent called them once or twice a week. Needless to say, I dumped AIG on the following year. Maybe I should have said that it depends on who you are insured with whether or not it takes months to pay.

In the US, in the many accidents I was in, payment arrived "within" 3 weeks every time. I guess it depends on who you're insured with. I was insured with a very small Insurance company. I knew the body shop people and the adjusters very well.

simpsca - Qualitas is a Mexican company. Their office is on Lopez Mateos Sur. I had them last year, but no claims, but I have heard they are good.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by simpsca Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:08 am

John,

Thanks for the info - I knew about partial theft, just hope others do. And that is what I heard about AIG. Good to know about Qualitas - that is only the second good recommendation on auto insurers. My new friends often ask me about which insurers to use and I haven't had an auto accident or a homeowners claim yet. Lots of good experience with Seguros Monterrey and Edgar.
simpsca
simpsca
Events Reporter
Events Reporter

Back to top Go down

Post by johninajijic Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:25 am

simpsca wrote:John,

Thanks for the info - I knew about partial theft, just hope others do. And that is what I heard about AIG. Good to know about Qualitas - that is only the second good recommendation on auto insurers. My new friends often ask me about which insurers to use and I haven't had an auto accident or a homeowners claim yet. Lots of good experience with Seguros Monterrey and Edgar.

You can buy your Auto Insurance either with Edgar or Parker Insurance or Jesus, but check prices and read the policy or have the Agent explain the policy to you. I switched from Rachel Reyes after 9 years because she moved further into Chapala and I have walking difficulties. I switched to Parker who was $ 34. USD less.

Another good company is MAPFRE a Mexican company or AXA. I switched my Homeowner's from AXA to MAPFRE with Edgar and saved approx. $ 40. USD a year. Better coverage.
johninajijic
johninajijic
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by bimini6 Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:40 am

Qualitias is Mexican company and they have little aqua and pink cars they drive all over the place. They are in the Lakeside/Guad area. Our incident ocurred in Mazatlan as we are here for another month, but I saw them at the lake also. I never saw their office there though, maybe just in Guad. They are so efficient. They walked us through the entire process. I can't say enough good about them.

bimini6
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : always! It is good for the soul

Back to top Go down

Post by Intercasa Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:49 am

Qualitas is the company Lewis & Lewis writes for. As for partial theft, it is available through certain companies as a rider or in addition so you need to check and ask.

Also, many companies won't write or will only offer limited coverages for nationalized cars. I found the best deal for full coverage for my newly nationalized 2003 VW Jetta with ANA Seguros for $4,500 per year.
Intercasa
Intercasa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by David Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:37 pm

So, the Nationalization was completed without a hitch?
David
David
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : Good

Back to top Go down

Post by Intercasa Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:51 pm

Almost done, need to go with my papers to a verification place on the outskirts of Guad (road to Zacatecas) , they say you need to go at 5am to get a number and then wait hours, I'll try to find a new buddy who, for 500 pesos will get there at 5am, get me the number and I'll get there a few hours later and complete the process and get my Jalisco plates. I got the other insurance early to have an overlap as my car is in between now and I don't want any issues. I plan to do this Thursday. After doing the process I'll offer the nationalization as a service with all the bases covered.
Intercasa
Intercasa
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by oncesubtle Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:56 pm

[quote="johninajijic"] ...In the US, in the many accidents I was in, payment arrived "within" 3 weeks every time. I guess it depends on who you're insured with. I was insured with a very small Insurance company. I knew the body shop people and the adjusters very well."

Out of curiosity John, how many accidents have you been in? At breakfast this morning I asked my sister how many accidents she had been in and it was zero, my wife nada and zip here. That's about 145 years worth driving in So. California and you "knew the body shop people and the adjusters very well"? So I gotta ask, did you move to Mexico just to get auto insurance?
flag waver
oncesubtle
oncesubtle

Humor : After 2nd cup of coffee

Back to top Go down

Post by Rolly Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:14 pm

Intercasa wrote: After doing the process I'll offer the nationalization as a service with all the bases covered.
Details, please, amigo.
Rolly
Rolly
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down