INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

INSIDE LAKESIDE

Check your spam/junk folder for activation e-mail after you register.
INSIDE LAKESIDE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Corn tortillas in Riberas?

+4
brigitte
Canada_Mike
lunateak
annied
8 posters

Go down

Corn tortillas in Riberas? Empty Corn tortillas in Riberas?

Post by annied Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:27 pm

Is there anywhere in Riberas to buy corn tortillas?
annied
annied

Humor : Easily amused

Back to top Go down

Corn tortillas in Riberas? Empty Re: Corn tortillas in Riberas?

Post by lunateak Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:43 pm

Abarrotes often have a cooler with fresh tortillas.
lunateak
lunateak
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:10 pm

you want maseca tortilla or nixtamal tortillas?

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Canada_Mike Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:32 pm

OK, Brigitte, I'll bite. What's the difference?

I mean from the point of view of taste, etc.
Canada_Mike
Canada_Mike
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : New York

http://gilbert.info.yorku.ca/

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:44 pm

Maseca is made with corn flour and nixtamal is corn cooked for several hours with a some lime and then ground and made into tortilla. The nixtamal tortillas are way better..

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Canada_Mike Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:48 pm

Thanks - I'll look for some.
Canada_Mike
Canada_Mike
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : New York

http://gilbert.info.yorku.ca/

Back to top Go down

Post by Bubba2shoes Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:21 pm

Canada_Mike wrote:OK, Brigitte, I'll bite. What's the difference?

Well, Mike, as I have been married to Brigitte for 46 years, 16 of those years in Mexico, it seems that in the 16 years she has lived in Mexico, she may have consumed 50 tortillas so if I were you I would look elsewhere for elucidation on the subject of the taste of tortillas. I believe I can state, however, that the corn tortillas I have consumed in Chiapas are superior to those found in Jalisco generally speaking.  That is an insufficient reason to sell the house and furniture and move there but the local rum is fine in Chiapas.

Bubba2shoes
Share Holder
Share Holder

http://rbplummer1@gmail.com

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:19 pm

Darling all the tortillas we eat in indigenous homes down in Chiapas are nixtamal tortillas , that is why they are superior,, You can buy nixtamal tortillas in Jalisco as well it is just not as easy as going to the market and buying from the ladies there..
Also when there are no forks on the table the only way to eat is with tortilla and your consumption in that case increase greatly..

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Clete Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:22 pm

Bubba2shoes wrote:

Well, Mike, as I have been married to Brigitte for 46 years, 16 of those years in Mexico, it seems that in the 16 years she has lived in Mexico, she may have consumed 50 tortillas so if I were you I would look elsewhere for elucidation on the subject of the taste of tortillas. I believe I can state, however, that the corn tortillas I have consumed in Chiapas are superior to those found in Jalisco generally speaking.  That is an insufficient reason to sell the house and furniture and move there but the local rum is fine in Chiapas.

That is absolutely ridiculous, dawg. There are incredibly good tortillas found in this state. Generally speaking. There are even commercial tortillerìas producing them from nixtamal made on the premises. You need to get out more. Ajijic ain't Jalisco.

Clete
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:29 pm

They even have them in Ajijic, my husband just needs to get out more.. yes there are delicious tortillas in Jalisco or in any state I would imagine.

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosa Venus Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:21 am

The one on Galeana just south of G. Victoria in Ajijic has nixtamal.
Rosa Venus
Rosa Venus
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : The funny kind

Back to top Go down

Post by Bubba2shoes Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:42 pm

Clete wrote:
Bubba2shoes wrote:

That is absolutely ridiculous, dawg. There are incredibly good tortillas found in this state. Generally speaking. There are even commercial tortillerìas producing them from nixtamal made on the premises. You need to get out more. Ajijic ain't Jalisco.

In Dawg´s Alabama, we ate cornbread and grits along with hamhocks and  mashed potatoes with cream gravy and collard greens.  Perhaps a bit of fried chicken.   Sincé I lived in San Francisco all my adult life until I retired to Mexico,   I must throw in  - wait, I don´t remember what we ate there besides scoth whisky and accompanying unmemorable snacks of no consequence.

As an aside, the tortillas in Chiapas are typically superior to those found at Lake Chapala but as I am not a tortilla freak, look elsewhere for guidance.

Bubba2shoes
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Bubba2shoes Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:14 pm

Flat breads are popular in many countries I have visited over the years. If I have a favorite it wouild be Ethiopian Enjera and wat, wat being the meat based sauce typiclally served wirh enjera. A wonderful natonal dish found in all of Highland Ethipia. Flat breadsi in India and East Africa ar also memorable. Mexican tortillas,whether corn or wheat flouir based are mediocre offerings.

Bubba2shoes
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Clete Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:23 am

Bubba2shoes wrote:Flat breads are popular in many countries I have visited over the years.  If I have a favorite it wouild be Ethiopian Enjera and wat, wat being the meat based sauce typiclally served wirh enjera. A wonderful natonal dish found in all of Highland Ethipia.  Flat breadsi in India and East Africa ar also memorable. Mexican  tortillas,whether corn or wheat flouir based are mediocre offerings.    

Go blow, bubba. Save your spiel for Oscar and Vernice from Terre Haute that still find wonder in Wonder bread. We were in Colima this morning and had homemade, coarse ground corn tortillas that were as good as any other flat bread you'll ever encounter. And believe me, been around this old world more than once or twice.

Clete
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Bubba2shoes Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:19 pm

Are we belittling the old city of Terre Haute and folks named Oscar and Vernice? Well, Clete,  Clete being a name not normally inspiring the notion of urban sophistication, it is best not to feel superior to others because of their origins or names bestowed upon them through no fault of their own but of their   parents, perhaps with the corny midwestern appelations of Clarence and Betty Sue.  I was born and raised in a small town 38 miles south of Alabama´s capital. Montgomery and was educated in Alabama´s public schools but, despite those impediments, none self-inflicted, I can  detect snotty attitude as well as a Harvard graduate, although I may not articulate my responses with similar aplomb.

Bubba2shoes
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Clete Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:22 pm

Bubba2shoes wrote:Are we belittling the old city of Terre Haute and folks named Oscar and Vernice? Well, Clete,  Clete being a name not normally inspiring the notion of urban sophistication, it is best not to feel superior to others because of their origins or names bestowed upon them through no fault of their own but of their   parents, perhaps with the corny midwestern appelations of Clarence and Betty Sue.  I was born and raised in a small town 38 miles south of Alabama´s capital. Montgomery and was educated in Alabama´s public schools but, despite those impediments, none self-inflicted, I can  detect snotty attitude as well as a Harvard graduate, although I may not articulate my responses with similar aplomb.

If anyone would recognize pretentiousness or conceit, bubba, you would top the list.

Clete
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by sparks Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:09 pm

I thought it would be flour tortillas that are hard to find
sparks
sparks
Share Holder
Share Holder

Humor : The joke's on me

http://sparksmex.blogspot.mx/

Back to top Go down

Post by brigitte Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:29 pm

Maseca makes corn flour tortillas and all markets or just about have wheat flour tortillas on the shelves in plastic wraps..

brigitte
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Bubba2shoes Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:28 pm

Clete wrote:
Bubba2shoes wrote:Are we belittling the old city of Terre Haute and folks named Oscar and Vernice? Well, Clete,  Clete being a name not normally inspiring the notion of urban sophistication, it is best not to feel superior to others because of their origins or names bestowed upon them through no fault of their own but of their   parents, perhaps with the corny midwestern appelations of Clarence and Betty Sue.  I was born and raised in a small town 38 miles south of Alabama´s capital. Montgomery and was educated in Alabama´s public schools but, despite those impediments, none self-inflicted, I can  detect snotty attitude as well as a Harvard graduate, although I may not articulate my responses with similar aplomb.

If anyone would recognize pretentiousness or conceit, bubba, you would top the list.

Inappropriate English, Clete but, as it turns out, you have said that which you had no intention of having said. I will acccept the unintended accolade..

Bubba2shoes
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Clete Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:38 pm

Bubba2shoes wrote:

Inappropriate English, Clete but, as it turns out, you have said  that which you had no intention of having said.   I will  acccept the unintended accolade..

No problem. But that's kinda like cheating at solitaire, isn't it?

Clete
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Bubba2shoes Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:07 pm

Solitaire is, by its nature, an intellectual challenge to onseself and oneself alone, not somethig inviting personal deceit. Think before you post.

Bubba2shoes
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Clete Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:01 pm

What about double solitaire? Did they play that in Mozambique while under heavy mortar fire from the presidential guards for dissing the homemade flat bread of one of his mistresses?

Clete
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Bubba2shoes Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:52 pm

Clete wrote:What about double solitaire? Did they play that in Mozambique while under heavy mortar fire from the presidential guards for dissing the homemade flat bread of one of his mistresses?

Cute, Clete. When I was in East Africa n 1969 on my journey from Alexandria to Capetown, when I attempted to renew my passport in Dar es Salaam. i was unabke to do so because of because of restrictions reguarding Passport issuances into what were then European Colonial outposts in South Africa so, instead of proceeding on to what is

now known as Zimbabwe, I detoured to India - an easy flight from Nairobi to Bombay. My good fortune. The scenery and food in India were wonderful. What a great experience.

Bubba2shoes
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Bubba2shoes Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:12 pm

Clete wrote:What about double solitaire? Did they play that in Mozambique while under heavy mortar fire from the presidential guards for dissing the homemade flat bread of one of his mistresses?

In 1969, . I came as slose as I ever came to being slaughtered just because I naively gazed upon the palace of the then ruling dictactor of tanzania which was a confed0ration of Tnganyica and Zanzíbar.  I simply gazed at rhe presidential mansión out of commn curiosity

Bubba2shoes
Share Holder
Share Holder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down